Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johan Berg Gudmundsson - Burnley bid accepted

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2016

Was JBG a winger?

No, he's a left footed right midfielder. He rarely tries to get past the full back on the outside. His game is cutting inside onto his left foot. As SHG says, he doesn't have the pace to go past defenders on the outside. He does however create space for the overlapping full back to get down the outside. His combination play with Solly was very good at times. His main assets are obviously shooting and dead ball delivery.

He will need to shift George Boyd out of the right midfield position to get into the Burnley team, which I can't see him doing, so he'll probably end up as a squad player.

Good luck to him. I really enjoyed that 98th minute winner against Hull.
  • Options
    He's an inside forward. Messi is left footed, as is Bale, and Robben, they all play on the right wing. Ronaldo, Neymar and Hazard are right footed and play on the left wing. It's a big part of modern football, having a "winger" who cuts inside whilst The fullback overlaps, so you have options of an in- or out-swinging cross, or a shot.

I'm surprised the fee is that low, but he has the technical ability to do well up there, and as for the pace, I don't think that's a huge issue, there's plenty of players in the game who don't possess huge pace but do well in top flight football
  • Options
    His assist rate is respectable.
  • Options
    £2.5m a good deal for a championship player in relegated side
  • Options
    His assist rate seems very good to me.

@Tutt-Tutt has it spot on, he is currently best as a left footed right midfielder who cuts in. He doesn't go to the by line and cross off his right and that is a limitation

I'm not familiar with George Boyd, I hope JBG can get some games there and do well.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

He's an inside forward. Messi is left footed, as is Bale, and Robben, they all play on the right wing. Ronaldo, Neymar and Hazard are right footed and play on the left wing. It's a big part of modern football, having a "winger" who cuts inside whilst The fullback overlaps, so you have options of an in- or out-swinging cross, or a shot.

I'm surprised the fee is that low, but he has the technical ability to do well up there, and as for the pace, I don't think that's a huge issue, there's plenty of players in the game who don't possess huge pace but do well in top flight football

Andros Townsend is another one
  • Options
    Seems cheap to me, but Burnley is probably a good move for him. Still only 25 so the more I think about it the cheaper he seems.
  • Options
    Highest assister in the league last year in a relegated team.

Is a much better player than most give him credit for, with better players around him he will be quality.
  • Options

For a player who's played in a last 8 Euro team that sounds low

On the other hand, based on his performances for us last season, that sounds high.

Simon Church could come on as a sub for Wales tonight in a semi final tonight....... £5m anyone?!?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor price for someone who just proved themselves at an international tournament.
  • Options
    Should fund our spending so far plus losses of relegation
  • Options
    I feels about £1m shy to me but not sure what difference it makes!
  • Options
    was always going to go but lets hope it goes back into the team instead of crustys pocket, was expecting 4-5 million.
  • Options
    Crap price bearing in mind how much TV money has gone up. I expect lookman to be sold for a fraction of his worth now.

• Options

Crap price bearing in mind how much TV money has gone up. I expect lookman to be sold for a fraction of his worth now.

Agreed.

This price does not bode too well for the Lookman and Cousins sales.

Hazarding a guess of another 2.5 mill combined for both.
  • Options
    no surprise .. let's hope the money is spent well on team rebuilding
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Can someone name me one of our wingers in last few decades who hasn't been accused of fading out of games, uninterested, can't cross etc etc. Even Ronaldo needs service. Game has changed and sides have better shape than the days of Paddy Powell.

Johnny Robinson. The exception that proves the rule.
  • Options
    Think it is a fair fee, it only seems cheap as certain clubs have really been paying way over the odds the last week or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:

Think it is a fair fee, it only seems cheap as certain clubs have really been paying way over the odds the last week or so.

We always sell players cheap. £2.5m for a player who has been a leading assist charts for the past two years is a bit low
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    He hasn't agreed (that I know of) to join Burnley. Hopefully another team will come in with a higher offer - maybe £3m upfront + add ons.

The thing that concerns me is what are these add ons related to? If them staying in the premier league is one then that's money we are unlikely to see as I can't see them staying up.
  • Options
    The fee seems paltry to me. A young player moving up to the the premier league with a proven championship and international record should be commanding a fee closer to £5mil. The fact that Norwich are said to offered more says a lot as well.

May I suggest that the only reason we have sold him cheaply and so early in the transfer window is because of the fear that we would not sell him this window.

I wonder if KM fancies a game of poker?

(Before anyone else says it, nah, help yourself).
  • Options

Aren't Gills demanding something like £4m for Dack? And Oxford £3-4m for Roofe? Seems pretty poor to me.

But both are English... Have you been hiding under a rock as English players always go for stupid money (i.e. Can you really say that James Tomkins is worth £10m or do you actually think that Palace have just been sold a dummy?)
  • Options
    Sat at the POTY the year previous, and he came over as someone who was very focused on this 'career'. Struck me as being ambitious, with a realistic perspective of his ability. This year I have to say I felt he played 'within himself',I simply expected more, but then there were quite a few of those eh?.
    A good deal, probably for him........ for us, would have wanted a million plus or so more.
  • Options

cfgs said:

We always sell players cheap. £2.5m for a player who has been a leading assist charts for the past two years is a bit low
    If we had sold last summer I would expect at least 4.5 mill, however despite his assists last season he looked disinterested and uncommitted, this plus the added hit of relegation has hit our bargaining power. However you look at it though it is still the fault of the idiots running the club.
  • Options
    Everyone saying crap price.... What did you value him as out of interest?
  • Options

So WBA agree a deal with QPR for Matty Philips worth £5.5M and we flog of JBG for £2.5M+.
    In a season when the PL is awash with money, we manage to flog off our most saleable asset for peanuts to the first bidder.

Saw that on the football gossip page on BBC teletext - yup I'm old school and still use it! - and was going to post similar.

That to me proves once again our glorious leaders haven't got an effing clue in conducting transfers.