Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johan Berg Gudmundsson - Burnley bid accepted

Comments

• Options
    Starting for Burnley in the cup tonight. Wearing number 25.

Plus Pope is in goal.
  • Options

Starting for Burnley in the cup tonight. Wearing number 25.

Plus Pope is in goal.

He looked very good when he came on at the weekend. His technique certainly looked Premier League class, and I don't think his pace or lack thereof is quite as big an issue as some on here have pointed out.
  • Options
    Just had a good chance which he should have done better from.
  • Options
    Kemar Roofe, winger played most of his career L1 or L2. No international appearances let alone goals or hat-tricks went for about a mil more than JBG. Staggering incompetence given he went a month ago and window is still open. Ditto JC who has been England age group captain for several years.
  • Options

Kemar Roofe, winger played most of his career L1 or L2. No international appearances let alone goals or hat-tricks went for about a mil more than JBG. Staggering incompetence given he went a month ago and window is still open. Ditto JC who has been England age group captain for several years.

Our lot will always be outplayed at this game. Christ knows what the rest of the football world thinks of them and their incompetence.
  • Options

Good, the less money we get for our players the better. We all know who's pocked the money is going.
  • Options

Roofe wasn't on 18k a week though
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

So what?

Which football genius gave him those wages leaving the budget for the rest of the squad so small we were relegated?

Not sure how you can offer this as a justification when it's another example of her incompetence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ouch, loss for Pope and gudmonsson to Accrington Stanley.
  • Options

Burnley reserves getting Charltonised!
    Actually, thought Pope did ok. JBG a forgettable performance.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

So what?

Which football genius gave him those wages leaving the budget for the rest of the squad so small we were relegated?

Not sure how you can offer this as a justification when it's another example of her incompetence.
    I think you missed my point. If you have to pay a player more in salary the transfer fee is going to be lower. I'm not trying to justify the large contract he was given.
  • Options

Yep, JBG was pretty poor last night
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

So what?

I think you missed my point. If you have to pay a player more in salary the transfer fee is going to be lower. I'm not trying to justify the large contract he was given.
    I disagree. 18k would not be a huge wage for a prem club to match or increase, even Burnley.

The wages are an issue for the player and his new club and shouldn't impact on the fee paid unless the selling club are desperate to shift that player because they gave him prem wages but ended up in league 1.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

So what?

I disagree. 18k would not be a huge wage for a prem club to match or increase, even Burnley.

The wages are an issue for the player and his new club and shouldn't impact on the fee paid unless the selling club are desperate to shift that player because they gave him prem wages but ended up in league 1.
    18k a week are, I'd imagine, pretty far below Prem wages for a player regularly in a Premier League squad. Doubt anyone besides a youth player just breaking through in on less than 30k/week, and I may be underestimating there.

I know Burnley aren't a club who like to spend, but picking up JBG's wages would not have been a huge dent for them. The sticking point between the two clubs should have been the valuation of the player. I think we got that one horribly, horribly wrong. But I also don't know if there is any logical way to measure transfers anymore.
  • Options

Yep, JBG was pretty poor last night
    I remember getting pelters on here when I suggested that Poyet would struggle in the Premiership, and I think the same is true of JBG.

• Options
    Starting tonight for Burnley... Pope not on the bench yet Gudmundsson just did a lovely cross
  • Options
    Started well
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

So what?

18k not a big figure, especially as they gave Pope 20k
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    cafc999 said:

Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

So what?

Now I know why Pope left.
  • Options
    Had a very good game has Johann. You can see why Dyche likes him, he's been very organised and has tracked back.

Dyche a great manager though. Should be given a chance at a big club.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Had a very good game has Johann. You can see why Dyche likes him, he's been very organised and has tracked back.

Completely disagree, I think he's a limited manager who has a club at exactly the level he belongs. He seems to be the latest in the long line of English managers who claim "they never get a chance at a big club," but nothing Allardyce, Bruce, Redknapp (until Spurs), Sherwood, Dyche, etc. have ever done has indicated that they belong at one.

Happy for Johann though, I think he has more than enough ability to play in a lower-table Premier league club. His workrate and tactical abilities were clear when playing for Iceland, and I often felt they were drastically underrated when he played for us.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

So what?

TBF, Pope didn't want to leave
  • Options

Rubbish SDAddick, do you realise how difficult it is to take a crappy northern club to the prem, and recover from relegation by destroying the league. Done a bloody good job.

You're telling me someone like Swansea or Palace would have been worse off with Dyche?!

Ah, ok sorry I didn't know we were talking about clubs the size of Swansea and Palace. I think that's about fair, he probably deserves a shot at a club around that level, though Swansea have a very different set-up and style of play to what he's used to. Should Hughes leave Stoke he could be in with a shout there. Ditto Pulis at West Brom (though I'm not sure that's a massive step up).

My point earlier was based around thinking you were saying he deserved a shot at a "top six" side. What is required at Burnley versus what is required at one of those teams is drastically different, least of all the style of play required when you're expected to win every game. I think we're seeing a bit of that with Slade now actually.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

cafc999 said:

Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

So what?

TBF, Pope didn't want to leave
    But when contract got put in front of him.......

I'm not being critical but money talks at the end of the day.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Rubbish SDAddick, do you realise how difficult it is to take a crappy northern club to the prem, and recover from relegation by destroying the league. Done a bloody good job.

You're telling me someone like Swansea or Palace would have been worse off with Dyche?!

Ah, ok sorry I didn't know we were talking about clubs the size of Swansea and Palace. I think that's about fair, he probably deserves a shot at a club around that level, though Swansea have a very different set-up and style of play to what he's used to. Should Hughes leave Stoke he could be in with a shout there. Ditto Pulis at West Brom (though I'm not sure that's a massive step up).

My point earlier was based around thinking you were saying he deserved a shot at a "top six" side. What is required at Burnley versus what is required at one of those teams is drastically different, least of all the style of play required when you're expected to win every game. I think we're seeing a bit of that with Slade now actually.
    Simone has made a managerial career of playing a Dyche-like system. I'd Dyche was Argentinian, people would be raving about him
  • Options

Since he finished with us last May, JBG has really improved the discipline side of his game. I guess playing for Burnley in the PL is a bit like playing for Iceland, you have to play as a team and he can't go wandering around where he likes