Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johan Berg Gudmundsson - Burnley bid accepted

Comments

• This strange labelling of someone as a League 1 player who has never ever kicked a ball at that level is bizarre.

He is an international player who statistics when playing in the Championship suggested he contributed as many "assists" as most anyone else in the division.

If he signs for Burnley does that make him a Premier League player overnight doubling his price even though he has never kicked a ball in the Premier League?

You price players on the value they bring as individuals for their talent and for the production at the level they play.

The reality of the deal, "trigger" clauses aside, (I do love the way people think they know the detail of the players personal contracts which have CONFIDENTIALITY CLAUSES WRITTEN ALL OVER THEM) the club cannot afford his wages in League 1. It is a distressed sale.

No matter the players ability to contribute at a higher level of the game hIs departure is a financial consequence of our relegation. It is a matter of financial expediency forced on people when they have screwed up.

The value proposition for the club is they are saving a significant sum in salary costs which may or may not be made available to make further additions to the squad or indeed cover the salary cost of the 3 senior additions already made.

For someone who had contributed successfully at a higher level it is not a good deal particularly when you consider the overall market is awash with cash.

However in our reduced circumstances it is what it is.

It is a consequence of the failed strategy of this executive where their "raisin d'etre" of trading profitably from the turnover of player has been wrecked by their own incompetence and inexperience.

The disgrace is the true price for all of this sits on the clubs balance sheet.

This transaction if it goes ahead will in itself be unique in that in 30 months of trading he will be the first player signed from another senior club by this regime to actually generate a trading profit.

Against a true litany of failures it is a truly desperate statistic.

Good price! These people could not negotiate their way out of paper bag

This, probably, fails to take into account the signing on bonus that the player and his agent received for coming for 'free' and the bonus the player and his agent received when he signed a new contract last summer.

It also fails to take into account the wages that he would have managed to negotiate both two years ago when he was a free agent and last summer when he was twelve months away from becoming a free agent.

£2.5m plus a potential £1m more does show a trading profit but I suspect it's nowhere near as high as many think.
  • edited July 2016

This strange labelling of someone as a League 1 player who has never ever kicked a ball at that level is bizarre.

He is an international player who statistics when playing in the Championship suggested he contributed as many "assists" as most anyone else in the division.

If he signs for Burnley does that make him a Premier League player overnight doubling his price even though he has never kicked a ball in the Premier League?

You price players on the value they bring as individuals for their talent and for the production at the level they play.

The reality of the deal, "trigger" clauses aside, (I do love the way people think they know the detail of the players personal contracts which have CONFIDENTIALITY CLAUSES WRITTEN ALL OVER THEM) the club cannot afford his wages in League 1. It is a distressed sale.

No matter the players ability to contribute at a higher level of the game hIs departure is a financial consequence of our relegation. It is a matter of financial expediency forced on people when they have screwed up.

The value proposition for the club is they are saving a significant sum in salary costs which may or may not be made available to make further additions to the squad or indeed cover the salary cost of the 3 senior additions already made.

For someone who had contributed successfully at a higher level it is not a good deal particularly when you consider the overall market is awash with cash.

However in our reduced circumstances it is what it is.

It is a consequence of the failed strategy of this executive where their "raisin d'etre" of trading profitably from the turnover of player has been wrecked by their own incompetence and inexperience.

The disgrace is the true price for all of this sits on the clubs balance sheet.

This transaction if it goes ahead will in itself be unique in that in 30 months of trading he will be the first player signed from another senior club by this regime to actually generate a trading profit.

Against a true litany of failures it is a truly desperate statistic.

Good price! These people could not negotiate their way out of paper bag

This, probably, fails to take into account the signing on bonus that the player and his agent received for coming for 'free' and the bonus the player and his agent received when he signed a new contract last summer.

It also fails to take into account the wages that he would have managed to negotiate both two years ago when he was a free agent and last summer when he was twelve months away from becoming a free agent.

£2.5m plus a potential £1m more does show a trading profit but I suspect it's nowhere near as high as many think.
    As they say in the Antigues World, the deal 'wiped it's face'.

Thanks for your time here Johann. Always enjoyed watching you play and felt you added something to the team....... most of the time.
  • hope he does well good luck to him dont think he will play every week
  • Good luck and cheers
  • He doesn't wana be here (don't blame him) where in league one, our owner is a terrible negotiator even though he has all the money in the world.

For us, getting 2.5mil out JBG sale (as a minimum) it is a good deal.

Contracts don't mean shit these days and burnley are taking a punt.

Take the money and run, I'd say.
  • 2.5 mill plus add ons sounds very respectable for someone in a relegated side and wasn't our best player if you considered the player of the season vote. Didn't pull up many trees in the Euros but sticks to a game plan well.
  • edited July 2016

So WBA agree a deal with QPR for Matty Philips worth £5.5M and we flog of JBG for £2.5M+.
    In a season when the PL is awash with money, we manage to flog off our most saleable asset for peanuts to the first bidder.

Saw that on the football gossip page on BBC teletext - yup I'm old school and still use it! - and was going to post similar.

That to me proves once again our glorious leaders haven't got an effing clue in conducting transfers.
    Nope it just once again proves that English players are over-priced!!
    A Scotland international too.....

Must have been rejected by the Welsh FA.
  • Understand the valuations of JBG from fans. However if no club were willing to stump our valuation, say 5mill, we will have a player, who doesnt want to be at the club. Not only making the dressing room unstable, we will have the joy of paying the guys wages. As soon as a player wishes to leave a club, unless you can compete financially and objective wise, you can only strain as much money from the buyer as possible. Again, from a free, to potentially 3.5m, isn't too sad. Granted I'd want more, but let's be realistic.
  • _nam11 said:

Understand the valuations of JBG from fans. However if no club were willing to stump our valuation, say 5mill, we will have a player, who doesnt want to be at the club. Not only making the dressing room unstable, we will have the joy of paying the guys wages. As soon as a player wishes to leave a club, unless you can compete financially and objective wise, you can only strain as much money from the buyer as possible. Again, from a free, to potentially 3.5m, isn't too sad. Granted I'd want more, but let's be realistic.

Agree
  • vffvff
    edited July 2016
    How much of that JBG fee will go into the club or into Duchatelet's pocket ? Will the fee be invested, set against this season / next season running costs or reduce debt owed to Staprix ? How much is that debt now, 48 million at 3% ?

(The same goes with the selling of all the family silver)
  • Sponsored links:

• Make a good point VFF. Only time will tell. I'd imagine most will be kept away for RD to play with, and some will be towards wages for newbies and longer contracts for youngsters.
  • Won't be announced soon as done deal as JBG on holiday according to a secret source (SLP)
  • The screaming reality of all the player churn is that the incumbents don't have a clue about operating effectively in this football environment.

Most of the time they try and fail to tread water as they cause money to disappear hand over fist.

They remind me of those 'apprentice' candidates who are knocking out their unsold fancily planned smoked salmon and feta baguettes, for a knock down 50p at London Bridge Station as the deadline approaches.
  • I suspect that he will raise his game a little and play for Burnley but they will be relegated. Then in the summer of 2017 the player and his agent will 'encourage' Burnley to sell him to a newly promoted team and the Burnley fans will scream at the injustice as he moves for close to £8m!

?

JBG is a liar because he's not here for 4 more years?

Miere is a liar because JBG won't be here for 4 more years?

Or was the contract extension for 4 more years making no-one a liar?
  • sam3110 said:

?

Signing a contract and leaving soon after is nothing new in football. But those two images do rather illustrate the idiocy of Meire, in that, she thought we could keep JBG for four years, only to get us relegated and have no chance keeping him anyway.
  • Looks like Roofe is off to Leeds for £3m.

Seems to confirm that we could and should have got more for Johann - great assist rate, proven international player.
  • I see he had found time to film the follow up to Now You See Me 2 as well as starring in the Batman v Superman film. No wonder he was only half the player he was last season......
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

?

I just love the 'Liar banner' and wanted an excuse to post it to be honest, nothing more deep than that. Call my post modern art and read your own meaning into it (or, like most, accept it is crap and move on to the next one). :-)
  • Not really fussed to be honest. Yeah I loved him when he first signed for us, yes he has scored some great goals and had some great games for us but he wasn't interested last season. I know a lot of them weren't but surely if he was probably the top earner and one of the more senior players, he should have taken a bit more responsibility and grafted. From what I saw of him, he couldn't wait for the euros and leave us.
    I'm afraid I am a bit old fashioned and would like to see players who have contributed to us getting relegated to give us one season to get straight back up. I don't wish him any ill but I won't be following his progress either.
  • This has plagued me the last few days I'm trying hard to get my cannister around it but to no avail, we've been ripped off!!

I've asked other fans at work etc explain who he is(Iceland) what he's done for us(assists/goals) rationally, then mentioned the figure and people were stunned.
  • Awful signing for Burnley, hasn't got the stomach for a fight and that's what they're gunna be in next season. Will be good the season after when they're trying to get promotion again

Now watch Dyche turn him into a £20 million player. #uncharltonised.
  • edited July 2016
    seth plum said:

It is a poor fee considering the money in the prem. However seeing Roland/Katrien's very poor track record over the likes of Yann, Morrison, Gomez outgoing, and countless numbers of incomings this low fee is what is to be expected. We are a bit of an agents dream.
    The extra tragedy is the money funds losses entirely created by this regime and we don't benefit.

Is it really a poor fee? He did very little of note in a struggling team and was relegated. Relative to the cost of getting him in we may well have got a half reasonable fee.

Whilst I get the criticism of RD lets be realistic he doesn't want any losses or to end up with low valuations on his players.

The reality is you can't stop a player leaving who wishes to go and I would guess he does wish to go. We've waived goodbye to both better and worse players pre RD when we've been relegated. We have to accept a different squad is appropriate for League 1 and in our scenario it's a buyers market.

If it's 2.5m that' seems reasonable if not great.

• edited July 2016
    sam3110 said:

"very little of note". Laughable

Ceballos did very little of note

JBG got a goal and 4 assists more than George Boyd last season, who was playing for the team he is about to join, who got promoted.

But yeah because he shook his head at a few idiot fans booing a player people have suddenly decided he wasn't all that.

He was our best player by a country mile over the past 2 seasons. Cousins won the awards but that's because he's a homegrown english kid from down the road and that's a lot of brownie points.

He'll be a big miss and anything less than 4mill is a steal imo

To clarify - little of note relative to what we hoped he would do and seen before. A comparison to a guy who had very few minutes on the pitch is not relevant.

I merely suggest any player who is part of a relegation team to league 1 will not derive a high fee especially if he isn't a headline grabbing name beyond the biased views of his own teams supporters.

I made no comment on his head shaking or even recalled that.

• My take on this is really about the context of the deal. JBG has been constantly scouted for a couple of years (along with Gomez formally, and Cousins).
    He stands out at Charlton, he is also an international footballer who has fully justified that status in the recent Euros.
    The prem is awash with money, and Burnley share in that, they also want to boost their squad, and Burnley are not the only club interested in JBG who is after all under contract to us.
    We need money desperately, and have to try to assemble a credible squad for next season.
    It is for those reasons that in my opinion good negotiations could secure a higher transfer fee than is being reported.
    I also look at other dealings around football, and all that does is make me think we could do better than it seems we will do.
    This is opinion and there may be other factors I should take into account.
  • Thanks, JBG. He did well for two seasons; lots of assists and some spectacular goals
  • served us well wish him all the best , shame the money will just go in the black hole