Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johan Berg Gudmundsson - Burnley bid accepted

Comments

• Options
    cafc999 said:

Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

Kemar Roofe, winger played most of his career L1 or L2. No international appearances let alone goals or hat-tricks went for about a mil more than JBG. Staggering incompetence given he went a month ago and window is still open. Ditto JC who has been England age group captain for several years.

Roofe wasn't on 18k a week though
    So what?

Which football genius gave him those wages leaving the budget for the rest of the squad so small we were relegated?

Not sure how you can offer this as a justification when it's another example of her incompetence.
    I think you missed my point. If you have to pay a player more in salary the transfer fee is going to be lower. I'm not trying to justify the large contract he was given.
    I disagree. 18k would not be a huge wage for a prem club to match or increase, even Burnley.

The wages are an issue for the player and his new club and shouldn't impact on the fee paid unless the selling club are desperate to shift that player because they gave him prem wages but ended up in league 1.
    18k not a big figure, especially as they gave Pope 20k
    My understanding was they trebled Popes wages to around £8k per week - certainly not £20k
  • Options
    edited September 2016

SDAddick said:

Rubbish SDAddick, do you realise how difficult it is to take a crappy northern club to the prem, and recover from relegation by destroying the league. Done a bloody good job.

You're telling me someone like Swansea or Palace would have been worse off with Dyche?!

Ah, ok sorry I didn't know we were talking about clubs the size of Swansea and Palace. I think that's about fair, he probably deserves a shot at a club around that level, though Swansea have a very different set-up and style of play to what he's used to. Should Hughes leave Stoke he could be in with a shout there. Ditto Pulis at West Brom (though I'm not sure that's a massive step up).

My point earlier was based around thinking you were saying he deserved a shot at a "top six" side. What is required at Burnley versus what is required at one of those teams is drastically different, least of all the style of play required when you're expected to win every game. I think we're seeing a bit of that with Slade now actually.
    Simone has made a managerial career of playing a Dyche-like system. I'd Dyche was Argentinian, people would be raving about him
    No he hasn't. Simeone's teams play an aggressive, high tempo pressing game that includes varying types of possessions, at times direct, at other times intricate. His style is more akin to his compatriot Pochetino, or Guardiola's City team when they're not in possession. Dyche's team sit deep or deep-ish and look to hit directly with pace on the counter. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is nowhere near the variation or tactical nuance that someone like Simeone possesses. If Dyche had that level of nuance, he'd be the England manager.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Had a very good game has Johann. You can see why Dyche likes him, he's been very organised and has tracked back.

Dyche a great manager though. Should be given a chance at a big club.

Completely disagree, I think he's a limited manager who has a club at exactly the level he belongs. He seems to be the latest in the long line of English managers who claim "they never get a chance at a big club," but nothing Allardyce, Bruce, Redknapp (until Spurs), Sherwood, Dyche, etc. have ever done has indicated that they belong at one.

Happy for Johann though, I think he has more than enough ability to play in a lower-table Premier league club. His workrate and tactical abilities were clear when playing for Iceland, and I often felt they were drastically underrated when he played for us.
    To be fair there are quite a few talentless foreign managers in the Prem. so why not give the job to a talentless Brit.
  • Options

Had a very good game has Johann. You can see why Dyche likes him, he's been very organised and has tracked back.

Since he finished with us last May, JBG has really improved the discipline side of his game. I guess playing for Burnley in the PL is a bit like playing for Iceland, you have to play as a team and he can't go wandering around where he likes
    Or maybe with better players he doesn't fee the need to run around and do other players jobs as well as his own? Last season he was one of the best (if not the best) player in our squad. With Iceland and Burnley that is quite possibly not the case.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

SDAddick said:

Completely disagree, I think he's a limited manager who has a club at exactly the level he belongs. He seems to be the latest in the long line of English managers who claim "they never get a chance at a big club," but nothing Allardyce, Bruce, Redknapp (until Spurs), Sherwood, Dyche, etc. have ever done has indicated that they belong at one.

Happy for Johann though, I think he has more than enough ability to play in a lower-table Premier league club. His workrate and tactical abilities were clear when playing for Iceland, and I often felt they were drastically underrated when he played for us.
    To be fair there are quite a few talentless foreign managers in the Prem. so why not give the job to a talentless Brit.
    Crystal Palace wholeheartedly agree :).
  • Options

Just scored an 88th minute equaliser against Liverpool.

And Pope doing a really good job at the other end. Why can’t we get players like that?

• Options

Just scored an 88th minute equaliser against Liverpool.

And Pope doing a really good job at the other end. Why can’t we get players like that?

At least Daisy negotiated great prices for them when they left. She’ll go far that woman I tell you....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Most assists for Burnley all season so far too.

Had 10 two years ago. Always felt he was under-appreciated and maybe even underrated. A lovely player on his day, and incredibly handsome. Great Nordic jawline and cheekbones.
    I think he was the only player in the league that season who had at least 10 goals and 10 assists.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Surprised how well he has done in the PL. talent never in doubt but thought his pace may be a hindrance. Delighted for him as one of my fav players of recent times.

Technically superb player in a good team. Plenty of players have pace but they can't control a ball or lack brains. If JBG had the pace of Rommedahl, he'd be playing for one of the very top clubs.
    He's just a shit David Beckham.... a shit David Beckham.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Surprised how well he has done in the PL. talent never in doubt but thought his pace may be a hindrance. Delighted for him as one of my fav players of recent times.

Technically superb player in a good team. Plenty of players have pace but they can't control a ball or lack brains. If JBG had the pace of Rommedahl, he'd be playing for one of the very top clubs.
    I didn't think he was especially lacking in pace. Such an exciting player to watch when he got the ball on his left peg, hunched his shoulders and took off. Technically a very gifted player.

It's funny - the first goal yesterday came from a ball in to Marshall's feet that he miscontrolled and set them on their way. You never saw that with JBG - his touch was immense. That's one of the things that makes players stand out for me - a killer first touch is SO incredibly important and JBG was only matched by Andy Reid and Ajdarevic in recent times in a Charlton shirt. A good touch that opens up the body and sets a player off can be the diffrerence between scampering past a player or being tackled. It's really fine margins that differentiate a reasonable player with an exceptional one. Football nowadays is often about athletes that can kick a ball - in this country we certainly need to focus on the technical aspects a bit more. Best example is someone like Jack Wilshere. Not physically blessed but his strength, balance and technique make him a pretty unique player for England.

• Options
    THink BUrnley used him sparingly last season, maybe to get him acclimatised to the Premier League, seems to be a starter this season.
  • Options
    He also had George Boyd as competition last season (Who played 36-games) yet left for Sheffield Wednesday in the summer
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Simonsen said:

I didn't think he was especially lacking in pace. Such an exciting player to watch when he got the ball on his left peg, hunched his shoulders and took off. Technically a very gifted player.

It's funny - the first goal yesterday came from a ball in to Marshall's feet that he miscontrolled and set them on their way. You never saw that with JBG - his touch was immense. That's one of the things that makes players stand out for me - a killer first touch is SO incredibly important and JBG was only matched by Andy Reid and Ajdarevic in recent times in a Charlton shirt. A good touch that opens up the body and sets a player off can be the diffrerence between scampering past a player or being tackled. It's really fine margins that differentiate a reasonable player with an exceptional one. Football nowadays is often about athletes that can kick a ball - in this country we certainly need to focus on the technical aspects a bit more. Best example is someone like Jack Wilshere. Not physically blessed but his strength, balance and technique make him a pretty unique player for England.

Great points.

I thought the thing with his pace was overblown. He has a really good change of pace/acceleration which for an inside out winger (winger who likes to play on the wing with their "wrong foot") is crucial.

Also worth noting he spent some time in Chelsea's youth set up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sell on clause ???
  • Options

sell on clause ???

I doubt Pinocchio knew what that was.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    That final season he was with us... He was class against Rotherham when we beat them 4-1 (Hat-trick of assists?) - If he was to leave Burnley then the only club he should join out of those mentioned is Leicester... Could be a perfect replacement for Mahrez and wont be at risk of Championship Football like Newcastle and Southampton.

I reckon he'll stay where he is but could have even more clubs interested after the World Cup
  • Options

sell on clause ???

There's more chance of there being a Santa....
  • Options
    What was strange about JBG was how little interest there was in him, and (as with Pope) the only club after him was a newly promoted PL one, despite him playing in the really successful Iceland team in the Euros.

I guess Burnley had the advantage of playing against him, just as we signed Claus Jensen from Bolton.
  • Options

What was strange about JBG was how little interest there was in him, and (as with Pope) the only club after him was a newly promoted PL one, despite him playing in the really successful Iceland team in the Euros.

I guess Burnley had the advantage of playing against him, just as we signed Claus Jensen from Bolton.

Jeez I didn't even realise he'd been playing for so many years :wink: