Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johan Berg Gudmundsson - Burnley bid accepted

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    we had to sell he was on about 20k a week
  • Options
    There's likely to be a sell-on in there, of which the club will likely see nothing due to some magical accounting.

And whoever said we undersold - that may be true, but 1) we're incompetent atm and 2) we were a relegated side, despite the prices bandied about in the current football economy
  • Options
    We had too many useless players on big salaries at the time. He was one of the only players we could actually sell.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

You have to say looking back at it, on his day he was well worth it.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

We had been relegated to the 3rd tier. You could hardly expect him to stay, even if we could afford his wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think he should leave Burnley for any of those clubs. Quality player for us and still is.
  • Options

I don't think he should leave Burnley for any of those clubs. Quality player for us and still is.

Probably agent talk anyway.
  • Options
    JBG, Stephens, Gomez, Kermorgant, Pope... most playing in the Prem now. If not, part of promotion winning teams. Sigh.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I could see him going to Leicester as a Mahrez replacement... (not saying he's as good).
  • Options
    Was disappointed with him in his second season as he seemed to be lazy and going through the motions.
  • Options
    Meire and RD seemed totally oblivious to a basic of English football economics. Every time a new TV deal is negotiated, player values take another twist upwards. They seemed to basing their valuations on previous years. Or probably Transfermarkt.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

There's likely to be a sell-on in there, of which the club will likely see nothing due to some magical accounting.

And whoever said we undersold - that may be true, but 1) we're incompetent atm and 2) we were a relegated side, despite the prices bandied about in the current football economy

Both good points, we were not in a good negotiating place, and as Henry says we had to sell. I don't think anyone can begrudge him going to the Premier League instead of playing in League One.

But yeah the reported fee (and those are not always accurate) feels really low for a player with a big upside.

Can only hope there's a sell on fee. Given by the time a deal goes through we will hopefully have new owners, you'd expect the money to be used for good (i.e. not going directly to Roland). And even if Roland hasn't sold by the time it goes through, given there are two parties with deals in principle agreed I cannot imagine the club bringing in a substantial amount of money with that effecting the price. I have to think both parties have people who have regular access/get regular reports on accounts.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

I don't know. Burnley have a glass ceiling and I think JBG has the potential to play at a level higher than that. I think any of the three mentioned have the potential to establish themselves at a higher level. Personally I'd rather play under Puell or Benitez. But obviously two are fighting relegation and something seems to have gone wrong with Soton (interesting to see if it was Pellegrino).
  • Options

Meire and RD seemed totally oblivious to a basic of English football economics. Every time a new TV deal is negotiated, player values take another twist upwards. They seemed to basing their valuations on previous years. Or probably Transfermarkt.

Little Tommy Driesen was still playing Football Manager 2008 ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lets hope the takeover is done and dusted by the time any move happens otherwise any sell on clause is wired straight to Belgium
  • Options
    At the time I was gutted with the fee we got for JBG, but happy with the fee we got for Pope...

I thought the fee we got for Cousins (£1.25m) was ok too.
  • Options
    Isn't he the only player we've actually signed from another club under the RD regime that we've actually sold on for a profit?

I could be wrong?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Isn't he the only player we've actually signed from another club under the RD regime that we've actually sold on for a profit?

I could be wrong?

No he was a free transfer because his contract had expired at AZ.

I believe we made a decent profit on Ricky Holmes. I'm really struggling to think of anyone else.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I could be wrong?

Thanks.

Have we actually ever made a profit then? From a signed player?
  • Options
    edited March 2018

SDAddick said:

I could be wrong?

Thanks.

Have we actually ever made a profit then? From a signed player?
    Sorry added to my post, Ricky Holmes but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Maybe Tony Watt but that would only be down to dodgy bookkeeping to get him in, and makes the huge assumption that we got a fee for him.
  • Options
    Not good enough for the Premier League according to some experts on here.

He was easily one of the top 10 players in the Championship when we had him, in one of the worst teams.
  • Options
    No saying we got a great price, but there has been significant inflation in transfer values (unless we're doing the selling) since we sold him, and he's now a 'proven' premier league player which adds a nought to his value on its own. 20 million just isn't that much anymore when players are moving between premier league clubs.
  • Options
    Any one else we can flog off cheap?

What about Leanne the receptionist?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    At his best it reminded me of pardew’s team with Reid, it seemed like the game plan was “if in trouble, just give it to Reid”. Ditto gudmunnson, we’d give it to him to cut inside and shoot. Teams worked it out quite quickly and made the team horribly unbalanced.