Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Forum

Comments

• Options
    Not sure because I haven't had the heart to look in to such matters in the last season or so but I'm pretty certain Birmingham don't have decent home numbers anyway .
    I'm sure we were comparable to them , home support wise, whilst in the Championship before the freak show turned up and that's even with shitty numbers in comparison on the database , so all that is a load of bollox IMO
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Why compare us to Birmingham? She does realise that it's the second largest city in England and only has two teams? Oh forget it there's no talking to the woman anyway.

And they are a Championship club. She'll compare us to Millwall when she reports back to Herr Duchatelet.
  • Options

They ought to consider how effective the emails they send out are rather than directing their efforts into sending them to more people. The people who sell the CRM packages will tell you their tools are transformational, but if your product has been consistently crap and you have very low credibility as a consequence that's unlikely to be true.

If you look at the ST campaigns we ran in 2007, 2009 and 2011 - all very difficult years - we were able to maximise sales in part because we made appeals that resonated with the fans based on local knowledge - respectively the free season ticket on promotion, an appeal based on 25-year history and Chris Powell / "significant investment".

It's not just about STs but their messages are based on empty slogans and false promises, so simply pumping them out to more people is unlikely to generate more business IMO.

You also need an in-house CRM team who know what they're doing with customer data. I highly doubt there's even one person in that building who has the slightest clue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They ought to consider how effective the emails they send out are rather than directing their efforts into sending them to more people. The people who sell the CRM packages will tell you their tools are transformational, but if your product has been consistently crap and you have very low credibility as a consequence that's unlikely to be true.

If you look at the ST campaigns we ran in 2007, 2009 and 2011 - all very difficult years - we were able to maximise sales in part because we made appeals that resonated with the fans based on local knowledge - respectively the free season ticket on promotion, an appeal based on 25-year history and Chris Powell / "significant investment".

It's not just about STs but their messages are based on empty slogans and false promises, so simply pumping them out to more people is unlikely to generate more business IMO.

This ^

I barely read them these days, same old drivel about a lounge or whatever......

Having 40,000 or 200,000 on your database makes No difference if you can't manage the messages in the right way to the right target audience. My 11 year old gets the ones about the hospitality etc....
  • Options
    seth plum said:

One good thing Katrien has done is go on the Upbeats walk.

Yes and Bailey is still being treated for the skin condition after she stroked him! :(
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Man those minutes make depressing reading. You'd think they'd get bored not answering the same questions every time. What is their issue with publishing their organisation structure, seriously? Same old crap.

Thank God for Christine, otherwise those minutes would look pretty empty. The issue re the shirt sponsorship is disgraceful and I knew about that during the season, but sadly they're not the only ones who have been treated that way. Fans or customers, they're both treated like shit.

KM's answer regarding the ticket admin fees is laughable. There's a strategy to drive people online, not how I'd put it myself but fair enough - but the imagination that having a well-populated database is the key to growth is just beyond parody. Build the team - and they will come. Christine was spot on about presentation - if you're going to charge fees, dress it up as a discount for online purchases. But this is what you get when the club's being run by people playing at being business people.

Also, SC - presume Syd for most of them but is Steve Clarke any of them? They're so easily confused :wink:

I've been away for a couple of weeks, can someone enlighten me to the shirt sponsorship matter ? Thanks
  • Options

rikofold said:

Man those minutes make depressing reading. You'd think they'd get bored not answering the same questions every time. What is their issue with publishing their organisation structure, seriously? Same old crap.

Thank God for Christine, otherwise those minutes would look pretty empty. The issue re the shirt sponsorship is disgraceful and I knew about that during the season, but sadly they're not the only ones who have been treated that way. Fans or customers, they're both treated like shit.

KM's answer regarding the ticket admin fees is laughable. There's a strategy to drive people online, not how I'd put it myself but fair enough - but the imagination that having a well-populated database is the key to growth is just beyond parody. Build the team - and they will come. Christine was spot on about presentation - if you're going to charge fees, dress it up as a discount for online purchases. But this is what you get when the club's being run by people playing at being business people.

Also, SC - presume Syd for most of them but is Steve Clarke any of them? They're so easily confused :wink:

I've been away for a couple of weeks, can someone enlighten me to the shirt sponsorship matter ? Thanks
    It's in the minutes
  • Options

rikofold said:

It's in the minutes
    Thanks, I guess this is about the guy who sponsored a player ? I just assumed that this was about the actual club shirt sponsorship.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

rikofold said:

Not just that, there are SO many ways to build your "database." Social media campaigns, different outreach things, as was brought up reduced cost of tickets online, different offers, all of that. It's been almost a decade since I had anything to do with social media stuff but it's not that hard*.

This is what absolutely blows my fucking mind about this regime. It's not just that they're shit at managing a football club, they're terrible at managing a business. If this were a sleek, professionally run operation on the business and finance end, but the footballing part was lacking, that'd be one thing. But they're very, very bad at basic business things. My favorite example still being letting the CEO stand up and give a presentation starting with "I though we went through this already." It's rank amateurism, and I say this having worked with a lot of people who were bad at both communication and business (despite being very high up in businesses like KM).

*To their immense credit, Olly, and presumably George and anyone else who does social media for the team do a very good job with coming up with new ideas for content. Assuming that Social Media/PR/etc. is run like the rest of the business, I imagine they don't get much vision from above, but their embracing of things like Facebook live, trying to embrace YouTube, all that is certainly appreciated.
    This is the bit that gets me too. They seem to flout even the most basic of rules of doing business. They are frighteningly amateur.

The only possible reason I can give is that Roland's successful business is built very much around B2B, selling semi-conductors into other businesses that may use them to generate consumer products. In fact they're probably three or four steps removed from a consumer in most cases.

Everything that Roland has tried to do that involves working with consumers or people with real emotions making personal decisions has been an abject failure. He foolishly seemed to stray into the most emotive of areas (football and politics - the two stalwart subjects of Charlton Life!) and then chose to ignore the fact that pretty much the most important thing that he can do in both instances is to deal with humans and their emotions (be they fans, players, voters etc).

To him, it costs them more to service your purchase in person therefore it is logical that you should pay more. Probably a rational argument that you can make in a B2B environment. To an end consumer though, your expectation has been set that fair value is the standard ticket price and you now feel that you are being penalised for the way that you have chosen to buy, given that the end product offering for the casual fan is hardly compelling, there is every chance that this simply dissuades you from purchasing at all.

5. Owner’s strategy

CL: The club is still selling our best players leaving us with a very thin squad.

KM: That’s a bit premature at the moment. The manager identified players he wants, and those he didn't and the players that were sold, were the players who had the desire and ambitions to play in a higher league. But we’re very happy with the signings we have made so far Russell, Steve (Head) and I are working hard to strengthen the team with further signings.

So seems to me that if playing for Charlton, a player should have no desire or ambitions to play in a higher league. What a novel approach, sounds like a winner.

Haha, yeah makes sense for them to go if their goals do not align with the club's.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

The Club will look into it.

I intend to do feck all.

Is this the Belgian equivalent of 'no comment' in police interviews?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

This ^

I barely read them these days, same old drivel about a lounge or whatever......

Having 40,000 or 200,000 on your database makes No difference if you can't manage the messages in the right way to the right target audience. My 11 year old gets the ones about the hospitality etc....
    I unsubscribed last year as I got so fed up with the bullshit. I haven't received any contact about renewal - presumably because they have me living in at least two addresses at which I have never lived. I now have a customer number of someone else who had my season ticket sent to in error last year. Rather than let me keep the number that I had since 1998 they reassigned his number to me (I bet with his details on my seat). Things like this and the dross served up and poor communication mean that I haven't renewed this year.
  • Options

5. Owner’s strategy

CL: The club is still selling our best players leaving us with a very thin squad.

KM: That’s a bit premature at the moment. The manager identified players he wants, and those he didn't and the players that were sold, were the players who had the desire and ambitions to play in a higher league. But we’re very happy with the signings we have made so far Russell, Steve (Head) and I are working hard to strengthen the team with further signings.

So seems to me that if playing for Charlton, a player should have no desire or ambitions to play in a higher league. What a novel approach, sounds like a winner.

Yes, that appears to be the implication of those words.

According to the Dublin 'reveal' a major feature of RD and Meire's unfolding business plan was that players should be groomed at Academy level for subsequent appearances in the first team before being sold on to the Premiership. Given that Cousins left to join a Championship Club is the plan now re-aligned so that the priority is to see young players coming through into the first team then sold on to 'a higher league' (which now includes the Championship as well as The Prem)?

I'm with CherryOrchard on this one. It was an odd thing for Meire to say. All the players should of course have the ambition and desire to play in a higher League and that ambition should be fulfilled by competing for and winning promotion this coming season. What do seasoned professionals in the squad think of Meire when she comes out with these questionable comments and to compound the error at the same time by allying herself so firmly with the process of player recruitment to the extent that she equates her role in the process with that of Slade and Steve Head?
  • Options
    Stig said:

SDAddick said:

rikofold said:

Not just that, there are SO many ways to build your "database." Social media campaigns, different outreach things, as was brought up reduced cost of tickets online, different offers, all of that. It's been almost a decade since I had anything to do with social media stuff but it's not that hard*.

This is what absolutely blows my fucking mind about this regime. It's not just that they're shit at managing a football club, they're terrible at managing a business. If this were a sleek, professionally run operation on the business and finance end, but the footballing part was lacking, that'd be one thing. But they're very, very bad at basic business things. My favorite example still being letting the CEO stand up and give a presentation starting with "I though we went through this already." It's rank amateurism, and I say this having worked with a lot of people who were bad at both communication and business (despite being very high up in businesses like KM).

*To their immense credit, Olly, and presumably George and anyone else who does social media for the team do a very good job with coming up with new ideas for content. Assuming that Social Media/PR/etc. is run like the rest of the business, I imagine they don't get much vision from above, but their embracing of things like Facebook live, trying to embrace YouTube, all that is certainly appreciated.
    I agree with all that SD, but I think it actually goes a step further. Although it helps to be 'sleek and professional', I'm not sure they are a prerequisite to being successful in business; at least sleek isn't, even if professional is. For me the big thing is you need to care. You can run a business successfully if you have some humility and you are prepared to openly discuss with your customers what they want and how you can meet their needs. And of course, this is where it all falls down. They don't care what the fans think, they have their own ideas that they will pursue regardless of customers feelings. They reject any feedback that is critical. They pretend to listen to the T20k group - they can be tolerated because they are yes men. Although I'm not convinced there's any evidence of them really listening. The warning signs were out there as soon as Meire said, "He does it his way and they need to accept that'. Such arrogance was always going to struggle in a field they just do not understand.
    Cracking post this.
  • Options

Despite having been the one to pay out for our family's season tickets, I do not receive any emails from the club in my own right. I do receive emails from them addressed to my youngest son. Their records obviously stretch back many years and haven't been updated since the time when he didn't have his own email account. Worse than that, I also receive emails addressed to my eldest son that come to my work email account. These records evidently stretch back to a time when our family didn't have a private email account between us. It doesn't matter though they all go straight in the junk whoever's name is on them.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I intend to do feck all.

This sounds like a Half Man Half Biscuit chorus.
  • Options
    Why do 'fans' attend this?

Feeding the belgians ego is so pointless.

Look we have fan engagement, we talk about the club to them. We're the very model of reasonable stewardship of a football club.

I think everyone who attends voluntarily should be shunned.
  • Options
    THAT ORGANISATIONAL CHART FINALLY REVEALED

KATRIEN MEIRE CEO (AWARD WINNING BUSINESS LEADER)

1) The Senior Management Team is KATRIEN MEIRE, Tony Keohane, David Joyes and Chris Parkes.

2) Below these are named functionaries (look them up yourself in the contact lists published on the Official Site – you know how to do that don’t you?

3) Un-named functionaries.

4) Fat security guy that sits next to me at home games

5) A strange English lady called Sue I believe who appears to be under the misapprehension that she is my best friend - Quelle Domage!
    (Memo to self - need to check this out – if she keeps on hanging around I will have to call security and have her removed from the premises).