Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2016 Olympics in Rio...

Comments

• sam3110 said:

Thank fuck he beat the drugged up c*nt

You're describing how I feel - definitely time for bed. Probably watched the best day of sport in my life (apart from Manure winning).
  • I've got to work in a few hours but been glued to the Olympics today or should that be yesterday and today?
  • I think he should come to Tokyo, even if it's just for the 4x100 to try and get 10 Olympic golds
  • Only just caught up with this. Just a silver but it is pure gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RndEXwu0NvA
  • Only just caught up with this. Just a silver but it is pure gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RndEXwu0NvA

#pulllikeadog
  • Had to give up on the tennis when Murray broke backto make it 5-5 in the fourth.

Great stuff.
  • Incredible run from the South african in the 400m, especially from lane 8. Apparently he's the first man to ever go under 10 seconds for 100m, 20 for the 200m and 44 for the 400m.

Bolt is a legend. All the others were flat out and dipping for the line, Bolt was looking around from 70m and seemed to ease up whilst celebrating across the line. Great that he beat Gatlin too, who shouldn't even be there.
  • Greatest British athlete of my lifetime. Well done Andy Murray.

If you said Tennis player then I'd agree with you. Athlete, personally, I'd have (in no particular order) Paula Radcliffe, Mo Farah, Daley Thompson, Steve Redgrave, Matthew Pinsent, James Cracknell, Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome ahead of him as bare minimum as those names straight off the top of my head.

• JohnBoyUK said:

Greatest British athlete of my lifetime. Well done Andy Murray.

If you said Tennis player then I'd agree with you. Athlete, personally, I'd have (in no particular order) Paula Radcliffe, Mo Farah, Daley Thompson, Steve Redgrave, Matthew Pinsent, James Cracknell, Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome ahead of him as bare minimum as those names straight off the top of my head.

Murray has 3 grand slams, 2 olympic golds, another olympic medal in doubles, single handedly won us the Davis Cup and has a whole number of other titles too. He's most certainly up there amongst our greatest ever sportsmen.

How do you determine Thompson and Cracknell for example are ahead of him when Murray has won the same amount of golds as them? And Radcliffe who didn't win any?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    JohnBoyUK said:

It's each to their own but I think the majority of your list (possibly Wiggins and Farah aside) have never achieved anything like two Wimbledon titles, one US Open and two of Olympic gold medals.

For me he is the greatest British sportsman of the modern era, probably the greatest of all time. Aren't we lucky that we have such a long list to choose from ? Most countries would be lucky to have one.
  • A major sports event can take it out of the competitors, requiring days of recovery

I feel like that after yesterday! All those Gold medals for GB, the torture of the Murray match turning me into Roger Johnson - "get that f**king first serve in!" - that staggering 400m WR and Usain Bolt...

• edited August 2016
    I think team GB have been absolutely outstanding in these Games, and a group of people of which, as a nation, we can be genuinely proud they have represented us.
    Brilliant, awe inspiring stuff from them.
  • I'd go in my top 5 of the greatest British Athletes

Wiggins
    Murray
    Farah
    Hoy
    Trott

Nothing against Redgrave, but Rowing isn't a global sport, the achievement is amazing, but unlike say Murray and Farah.
  • Rothko said:

I'd go in my top 5 of the greatest British Athletes

Wiggins
    Murray
    Farah
    Hoy
    Trott

Nothing against Redgrave, but Rowing isn't a global sport, the achievement is amazing, but unlike say Murray and Farah.

For cyclists like Trott (and indeed her partner Kenny), they've had it "easy" in that they've been brought through by a world class British cycling team and development system.

Indeed, our brilliance in the Olympics now in general is down to a well funded programme with Lottery money and a winning mentality, whereas 20 years ago it was much more down to the individual
  • Redgrave gets in a 'top 5' Olympians every day of the week
  • Rothko said:

Wiggins
    Murray
    Farah
    Hoy
    Trott

For cyclists like Trott (and indeed her partner Kenny), they've had it "easy" in that they've been brought through by a world class British cycling team and development system.

Indeed, our brilliance in the Olympics now in general is down to a well funded programme with Lottery money and a winning mentality, whereas 20 years ago it was much more down to the individual
    Lottery funding can only do so much though... I know your not stating that current cyclists have had it easy due to funding yet at the same time the individual power they generate on their legs is down to each person (Unlike Hamilton who wouldnt be competitive if he drove for Manor etc.)

Its also just fortune that Kenny and Trott have been born into this era... Same with Chris Solly as if we had remained a Premier League team then I doubt he or many other grads would have made their debuts
  • Rothko said:

Wiggins
    Murray
    Farah
    Hoy
    Trott

Lottery funding can only do so much though... I know your not stating that current cyclists have had it easy due to funding yet at the same time the individual power they generate on their legs is down to each person (Unlike Hamilton who wouldnt be competitive if he drove for Manor etc.)

Its also just fortune that Kenny and Trott have been born into this era... Same with Chris Solly as if we had remained a Premier League team then I doubt he or many other grads would have made their debuts
    We have a an incredibly "professional" way of treating many Olympic sports these days. Picking out young people due to their physical attributes, and pushing them towards certain sports like cycling or rowing, because of their size or muscle types. And yes, while our current cyclists and rowers work incredibly hard, and are really talented, they are being pushed by a system geared for excellence. And a ruthless one as well!

In a way Lewis Hamilton is similar, as he was spotted at a young age and brought through by McLaren's development programme. A much easier path than say Damon Hill's.
  • stonemuse said:

andyg90 said:

Fuck a duck, Claire Balding is annoying.

Honest question...

Who would you think could do a better job ?

Give it a go Fanny
    Fanny could be the new Balding....

• Sponsored links:

• Hold on people, before you all get your knickers in a twist.

SantaClaus used the word athlete. Thats' why I mentioned Radcliffe, Farah and Thompson, all of which were athletes.

I'm not knocking Murray. Fair play to the fella, he's a bloody awesome Tennis Player but athlete?!?!? Sportsman yes, not athlete.

You cant knock the cyclists, especially Wiggins. He's won everything there is to win. Olympic medals, TdF, the world TT title, the Critérium du Dauphiné, the list is endless. I see the rowers as athletes. Cracknell knocks out sub 3 marathon times, highest place Briton in Marathon des Sables, the hardest marathon on the planet.

All about opinions though.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Hold on people, before you all get your knickers in a twist.

SantaClaus used the word athlete. Thats' why I mentioned Radcliffe, Farah and Thompson, all of which were athletes.

I'm not knocking Murray. Fair play to the fella, he's a bloody awesome Tennis Player but athlete?!?!? Sportsman yes, not athlete.

You cant knock the cyclists, especially Wiggins. He's won everything there is to win. Olympic medals, TdF, the world TT title, the Critérium du Dauphiné, the list is endless. I see the rowers as athletes. Cracknell knocks out sub 3 marathon times, highest place Briton in Marathon des Sables, the hardest marathon on the planet.

Do you think footballers are athletes ? What definition are you using ?

To my mind, Andy Murray is absolutely an athlete by pretty much any measurement. Most footballers are athletes, although Charlton have had a few that definitely fall below that standard in recent years !
  • 1StevieG said:

stonemuse said:

andyg90 said:

Fuck a duck, Claire Balding is annoying.

Honest question...

Who would you think could do a better job ?

Give it a go Fanny
    Fanny could be the new Balding....

Blimers !

Must rethink my comb over !

• How do you determine Thompson and Cracknell for example are ahead of him when Murray has won the same amount of golds as them? And Radcliffe who didn't win any?

When another woman beats her WR of 2:17:42 in the marathon, let me know. That alone puts her up there, no?

• JohnBoyUK said:

Murray has 3 grand slams, 2 olympic golds, another olympic medal in doubles, single handedly won us the Davis Cup and has a whole number of other titles too. He's most certainly up there amongst our greatest ever sportsmen.

How do you determine Thompson and Cracknell for example are ahead of him when Murray has won the same amount of golds as them? And Radcliffe who didn't win any?
    Especially when Murray has had to compete against 3 of the greatest ever players during their primes.
    And surely the length of their competition has to be taken into consideration ?

3 or even 5 sets on court for our Andy with last night's 4 hours in searing heat a good example.

No way am I demeaning the other sportsmen in the list...all worthy of teir place .

But for pure stamina, agility & hour after hour of concentration together with SUCH determination , Andy is the current no 1 for me.
  • edited August 2016
    JohnBoyUK said:

Bizarre how you class cyclists and rowers as athletes yet not a tennis player. Murray pretty much played a match every day, culminating in a 4 hour final last night. That's surely a great feat of athleticism no?

There can't be anyone in Rio who competed for longer to earn an individual gold medal.
  • edited August 2016
    Ok, thats sort of what I was thinking about. 4/5 sets if Tennis (how many times does he play a 4 or 5 set games these days? no idea if I'm honest) vs 3,500km/2,200 miles on a bike over 21 days with only 2 rest days in the TdF

Based on that alone, Wiggins at his peak comes out on top of Murray for me.

All very subjective I know, I wasnt meaning to change the subject totally away from the Olympics. Forget I said anything...

For the record, I do think Murray is an exceptional sportsman!

Back to topic, looking forward to seeing if Rudisha can retain his 800m title tonight, he's an exceptional...erm...athlete!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I would say Andy Murray is probably the definition of 'athlete'. He has power, speed, mental strength, agility and a ridiculous level of stamina.
    Gets sunburnt easily though.