Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2016 Olympics in Rio...

Comments

• Just watching GBR v Japan badminton. The standard is unbelievable, regular rallies of 20-30 shots.
  • edited August 2016
    JohnBoyUK said:

Ok, thats sort of what I was thinking about. 4/5 sets if Tennis (how many times does he play a 4 or 5 set games these days? no idea if I'm honest) vs 3,500km/2,200 miles on a bike over 21 days with only 2 rest days in the TdF

If Andy was allowed to play tennis on a bike he would cover that distance easy, but it is natural to see this guy through rose-cunted tinted spectacles.

• Rothko said:

I'd go in my top 5 of the greatest British Athletes

Wiggins
    Murray
    Farah
    Hoy
    Trott

Nothing against Redgrave, but Rowing isn't a global sport, the achievement is amazing, but unlike say Murray and Farah.

And cycling is a global sport? Behave.
    Redgrave tops your list easily.
  • Greenie said:

Rothko said:

Wiggins
    Murray
    Farah
    Hoy
    Trott

Nothing against Redgrave, but Rowing isn't a global sport, the achievement is amazing, but unlike say Murray and Farah.

Steve Redgrave is the greatest British athlete of all time ? No chance.
  • Andy Murray is the epitome of an athlete.

He'd smash Brian Jacks at his prime on Superstars
  • Jocky Wilson or Big Daddy maybe Ed the Eagle
  • edited August 2016
    se9addick said:

Greenie said:

Rothko said:

Wiggins
    Murray
    Farah
    Hoy
    Trott

Steve Redgrave is the greatest British athlete of all time ? No chance.
    Read what I said, its only words, I said that Redgrave tops his list, I never said Redgrave is the greatest athlete. No cyclist can ever be the greatest British athlete, say compared to a long distance runner (on downhill stretches they get a nice rest), so for me by default, they are way down the list.
    Daley Thompson still wears that crown as far as I'm concerned.
    Also what about the Triathlon, the Brownlee brothers?
  • This is all for another thread really, but going down the athletics track.....for me I would add Seb Coe, Jonathan Edwards and Colin Jackson
  • edited August 2016
    Best British Athlete thread now open for business.....

• edited August 2016
    Ah, interesting read on wikipedia.

'Athlete is a person who competes in one or more sports that involve physical strength and endurance'.

On that basis, I have to conclude Murray qualifies as an athlete. I take it all back.

However, still on wikipedia, the title of World's Greatest Athlete traditionally belongs to the world's top competitor in the decathlon (males) and heptathon (women) in track and field'.

So presumably, on that basis, GBs Greatest Athlete must be Daley Thompson followed by...erm...Dean Macey?!?!
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

Ah, interesting read on wikipedia.

'Athlete is a person who competes in one or more sports that involve physical strength and endurance'.

On that basis, I have to conclude Murray qualifies as an athlete. I take it all back.

However, still on wikipedia, the title of World's Greatest Athlete traditionally belongs to the world's top competitor in the decathlon (males) and heptathon (women) in track and field'.

So presumably, on that basis, GBs Greatest Athlete must be Daley Thompson followed by...erm...Dean Macey?!?!

Denise Lewis
    Jessica Ennis
  • Sophie Hitchon just won bronze in the hammer
  • Bronze in the womens hammer!
  • this wrestling is fucking weird.
  • Great last throw of the hammer for Sophie Hitchon when the pressure was on.
    Brilliant bronze.
  • this wrestling is fucking weird.

Anyone break out a steel chair?
  • athletes do athletics, tennis players play tennis, rowers row, cyclists cycle. all are sportsman

that's how it should be imo though I'm sure I'm occasionally guilty of misusing athlete

anyway, I'm absolutely delighted for Sophie Hitchon, one of my favourite athletes and a well deserved bronze
  • edited August 2016
    I went to the dressage in Greenwich 2012 and just when I had given up on the event believing that I'd been sold a dummy, that it really was all a pure bluff when out came Charlotte Dujardin and it was unreal. It was all so obvious even to an oik like me that she was just different class.

Was always going to win this as she is so much better than the rest
  • Sponsored links:

• Moonwalking horses now. Utter poop.

Agree. Should be on Britain's Got Talent, not the Olympic Games!
  • rina said:

athletes do athletics, tennis players play tennis, rowers row, cyclists cycle. all are sportsman

that's how it should be imo though I'm sure I'm occasionally guilty of misusing athlete

anyway, I'm absolutely delighted for Sophie Hitchon, one of my favourite athletes and a well deserved bronze

But you're not misusing it, an athlete is just someone who does physical sports. The word athlete was around long before the athletics were called athletics apparently. I think it's more the case that athletics should change it's name to something else.

Watching the canoe/kayak sprints. It's enjoyable but for some reason I just think it looks odd and I have no idea why.

Ah, but they do look pretty. :-)

Agree. Should be on Britain's Got Talent, not the Olympic Games!
    You've both beaten me to it as was just about to post the same - although "horses dancing" was going to be my take on it.

I mean, it's not really a sport is it? Especially as the horse does all the work.

Tug of war used to be an Olympic sport but they binned that. About time they did the same with this rubbish too. Place is almost empty!

• edited August 2016
    I think in Tokyo they should introduce some real sports, like those we played as kids.

British Bulldog, Oi Jimmy Knacker (the young un's might have to Google that one), flying down the street on a Beano annual on one skate. These are real sports!!

We'd show them who's top of the medals table then!
  • I think in Tokyo they should introduce some real sports, like those we played as kids.

British Bulldog, Oi Jimmy Knacker (the young un's might have to Google that one), flying down the street on a Beano annual on one skate. These are real sports!!

We show them who's top of the medals table then!

I can see a place for kerbie. More deserving than synchronised swimming or football.
  • I think in Tokyo they should introduce some real sports, like those we played as kids.

Conkers.
  • Macronate said:

I think in Tokyo they should introduce some real sports, like those we played as kids.

Conkers.
    And you mate!:-)
  • Congrats to Dujardin on another gold. Was never any doubt
  • Trying to watch some badmington, the most boring commentator I have heard.