Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2016 Olympics in Rio...

Comments

• Most of the venues ive seen have been half full at best.
  • How on earth are you supposed to run the 110m hurdles in a monsoon? Dangerous.
  • You really need to watch the pole vault final on the highlights in the morning
  • Watched about 10 minutes of the Cavendish race last night and did not have a clue what was going on. They seemed to casually cycle a few laps, then have a sprint every few minutes, then go back to casually cycling round. So many laps, it seemed like cycling's version of indy 500.
  • Watched about 10 minutes of the Cavendish race last night and did not have a clue what was going on. They seemed to casually cycle a few laps, then have a sprint every few minutes, then go back to casually cycling round. So many laps, it seemed like cycling's version of indy 500.

The points race was awesome, they get points for doing different things, for instance lapping an opponent gets you 20 points. Every couple of laps they have to sprint and the top four get points (with the winner getting the most and so on).

It's not as good as the elimination race though which is brilliant.
  • As SE9 says points won as follows:

Sprint every 10 laps. Winner gets 5 points, second gets 3, third 2, and fourth 1. None to the rest.

If anyone manages to lap the main peloton that is on the circuit they get 20 points. Obviously as they are ahead it is likely they will win one or two of the sprints at the same time but once they are back in the peloton they are no longer deemed to be ahead in respect to the sprints so don't keep picking up 5 more points for the rest of the race (unless they go to the front of the peloton again of course!)
  • Ah right, that was another thing i couldn't work out. There was a NZ rider and a mexican who lapped the field, yet when they were back in the group (but still 1 lap ahead), they weren't getting maximum points for the sprints.
  • All Manx people I have met are like Cavendish and I think it's good to sometimes have people that truly don't give a fk when asked questions

I won't pretend i had a Scooby on the race I fact I found it pretty boring until he caused carnage, and was laughing that he had that look on his face when he did it and the only thing he thought was that bstd Hurt my calf
  • Earns a good living, is now an Olympic medallist and he's married to Peta Todd, so he's definitely done alright in life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cav has always been a spiky character. He doesn't deal with the media well, and never has. Part of his character - take it or leave it. Personally, I find it refreshing - I'm sick of all the media-trained bores we have as sportsmen - Cav is a throwback to the days where sportsmen were more likely to be themselves in front of a camera. Yes he can be a prick, but so can everyone.

Regarding the accident, that sort of thing happens in track racing. It's different to the road - you need to be hyper-aware at all times. The cutoff move is a perfectly legit tactic, and Cav will argue that he had the jump on the Korean rider and was entitled to swoop across him - the Korean in kind would argue that the cutoff was too quick, leaving him no time to react. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Cav does have previous for this on the road, but the problem with sprinting is it's decided on absolutely minuscule margins. If he didn't take chances, surf wheels, move late etc he'd never win anything because he's tiny compared to most of the units who head up sprint trains and put out 250 more watts.

I think when he looks back, Cav will be even more pissed off than if he'd got bronze. That ricket in the elimination race cost him dearly - and he has no-one to blame for that but himself.

A great example I've never forgotten is the excellent film; Chasing Legends is about the Team Columbia road team when Cav pretty much dominated the TdF a few years ago.

Advise people to watch as its also about the Tour as a whole and explains the whole race, one interview is with Sherwen who says that Cav and other Sprinters have to be cocky and brash because its the nature of their side of the Sport

i.e. a boxer wont go out before a fight and say; I'll do my best today and just see what happens today
  • Cav has always been a spiky character. He doesn't deal with the media well, and never has. Part of his character - take it or leave it. Personally, I find it refreshing - I'm sick of all the media-trained bores we have as sportsmen - Cav is a throwback to the days where sportsmen were more likely to be themselves in front of a camera. Yes he can be a prick, but so can everyone.

Regarding the accident, that sort of thing happens in track racing. It's different to the road - you need to be hyper-aware at all times. The cutoff move is a perfectly legit tactic, and Cav will argue that he had the jump on the Korean rider and was entitled to swoop across him - the Korean in kind would argue that the cutoff was too quick, leaving him no time to react. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Cav does have previous for this on the road, but the problem with sprinting is it's decided on absolutely minuscule margins. If he didn't take chances, surf wheels, move late etc he'd never win anything because he's tiny compared to most of the units who head up sprint trains and put out 250 more watts.

I think when he looks back, Cav will be even more pissed off than if he'd got bronze. That ricket in the elimination race cost him dearly - and he has no-one to blame for that but himself.

A great example I've never forgotten is the excellent film; Chasing Legends is about the Team Columbia road team when Cav pretty much dominated the TdF a few years ago.

Advise people to watch as its also about the Tour as a whole and explains the whole race, one interview is with Sherwen who says that Cav and other Sprinters have to be cocky and brash because its the nature of their side of the Sport

i.e. a boxer wont go out before a fight and say; I'll do my best today and just see what happens today
    Spot on @Leroy Ambrose and @ForeverAddickted. Chasing Legends is a brilliant film and well worth a watch.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37085873

Interesting piece on the dramatic effect Lottery funding has had on UK success at the Olympics
  • The Dane Hansen was asked if Cavendish should have been punished for the accident and he said ' for what? It's an intense event and shit happens'

O'Shea also said it was a definite accident.
  • Thanks for the explanations re Cav's race, guys.
  • Really like Cav, he is a great competitor and i'm glad he got a medal. Could have been better than a silver but to be fair, Vivani was excellent. Omnium is one of my favourite Olympic events, so much can happen.

Great moment yesterday when Hoy was being interviewed down in the centre of the track giving his opinion on the races and Cav comes into shot saying "oh my god Chris Hoy can i have an autograph", then they both just were chatting about the sport one on one while the interviewer stood with the mic not being looked at. Wasn't rude, just good relaxed viewing, really close knit bunch our cyclists.
  • aliwibble said:

You really need to watch the pole vault final on the highlights in the morning

100% this. so pleased I stayed up to watch despite the 30 minute delay. this was my highlight of the games so far
  • there was a bit of a farce in the high hurdles last night. the first 2 heats were run in a monsoon. officials then decided it was too wet so suspended the competition until it was dry and then ran the other 3 heats

it was then decided that the conditions had been unfair to those in heats 1 and 2 so the 8 runners who did not automatically qualify from those heats were allowed to run again in the dry and try to get one of the fastest loser slots- only jamaica's Deuce Carter ran quick enough, eliminating (rather unfairly imo) a runner who had previously thought he was through

the thing is, Deuce had been DQed in the original heat for going out of his lane and hitting someone else's hurdle

so we now have a runner in the semi final who is a real medal prospect but who was originally DQed from the event
  • MrOneLung said:

The Dane Hansen was asked if Cavendish should have been punished for the accident and he said ' for what? It's an intense event and shit happens'

O'Shea also said it was a definite accident.

Does Deano have an opinion on this one too ?
  • rina said:

aliwibble said:

100% this. so pleased I stayed up to watch despite the 30 minute delay. this was my highlight of the games so far
    Just watching this now. Wow.

• Sponsored links:

• rina said:

aliwibble said:

Brazil needed that moment of magic in the athletics, it's the sort of thing that can really create the home team momentum, wow!

Fair enough, @Leroy Ambrose, except he didn't cut across the Korean- it was Viviani, the race leader. The Korean was collateral damage.

Fair enough, @Leroy Ambrose, except he didn't cut across the Korean- it was Viviani, the race leader. The Korean was collateral damage.
    Nah - it was the Korean. Viviani was behind under Park about to come through.
  • The french guy who came 2nd in the pole vault to the Brazilian compared the hostile reaction and the crowd booing him to the reception Jesse Owens got at the Berlin games! Not quite sure that's a fair comparison.

I think this was the reason for the crash, Cav was looking inside for Viviani's front wheel and had no idea the Korean was there

A very odd tweet from (convicted doper) Rasmussen

• edited August 2016

Cav has always been a spiky character. He doesn't deal with the media well, and never has. Part of his character - take it or leave it. Personally, I find it refreshing - I'm sick of all the media-trained bores we have as sportsmen - Cav is a throwback to the days where sportsmen were more likely to be themselves in front of a camera. Yes he can be a prick, but so can everyone.

I liked the bit at the start of the interview 'You wouldn't have kept Brad waiting'.... or words to that effect.

He's refreshing because he's not full of cliches, and pours his heart out.

• rina said:

Cav has always been a spiky character. He doesn't deal with the media well, and never has. Part of his character - take it or leave it. Personally, I find it refreshing - I'm sick of all the media-trained bores we have as sportsmen - Cav is a throwback to the days where sportsmen were more likely to be themselves in front of a camera. Yes he can be a prick, but so can everyone.

I think this was the reason for the crash, Cav was looking inside for Viviani's front wheel and had no idea the Korean was there

A very odd tweet from (convicted doper) Rasmussen

I would suggest that Cav had the line coming downthe bank, the Korean should have been aware coming from behind.
  • The french guy who came 2nd in the pole vault to the Brazilian compared the hostile reaction and the crowd booing him to the reception Jesse Owens got at the Berlin games! Not quite sure that's a fair comparison.

He's taken back his comments...

Besides Owens didn't actually get that bad a reception at the 1936 Olympics anyway...
  • James and Merchant win opening sprint in their quarter finals
  • rina said:

there was a bit of a farce in the high hurdles last night. the first 2 heats were run in a monsoon. officials then decided it was too wet so suspended the competition until it was dry and then ran the other 3 heats

it was then decided that the conditions had been unfair to those in heats 1 and 2 so the 8 runners who did not automatically qualify from those heats were allowed to run again in the dry and try to get one of the fastest loser slots- only jamaica's Deuce Carter ran quick enough, eliminating (rather unfairly imo) a runner who had previously thought he was through

the thing is, Deuce had been DQed in the original heat for going out of his lane and hitting someone else's hurdle

so we now have a runner in the semi final who is a real medal prospect but who was originally DQed from the event

I saw that too @rina.

Thing is, he only got DQ'd because he kept hitting the hurdles badly - I think they all did apart from the winner - and he only did that because he probably couldn't see them properly because of the rain.

I think they were wrong to run the race in the first place. But as they did it is only right that all of them got the chance to run again when it wasn't bucketing it down.