Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2016 Olympics in Rio...

Comments

• rina said:

Cav has always been a spiky character. He doesn't deal with the media well, and never has. Part of his character - take it or leave it. Personally, I find it refreshing - I'm sick of all the media-trained bores we have as sportsmen - Cav is a throwback to the days where sportsmen were more likely to be themselves in front of a camera. Yes he can be a prick, but so can everyone.

Regarding the accident, that sort of thing happens in track racing. It's different to the road - you need to be hyper-aware at all times. The cutoff move is a perfectly legit tactic, and Cav will argue that he had the jump on the Korean rider and was entitled to swoop across him - the Korean in kind would argue that the cutoff was too quick, leaving him no time to react. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Cav does have previous for this on the road, but the problem with sprinting is it's decided on absolutely minuscule margins. If he didn't take chances, surf wheels, move late etc he'd never win anything because he's tiny compared to most of the units who head up sprint trains and put out 250 more watts.

I think when he looks back, Cav will be even more pissed off than if he'd got bronze. That ricket in the elimination race cost him dearly - and he has no-one to blame for that but himself.

Fair enough, @Leroy Ambrose, except he didn't cut across the Korean- it was Viviani, the race leader. The Korean was collateral damage.
    Nah - it was the Korean. Viviani was behind under Park about to come through.

I think this was the reason for the crash, Cav was looking inside for Viviani's front wheel and had no idea the Korean was there

A very odd tweet from (convicted doper) Rasmussen

Hahaha

Rasmussen is an absolute tool, always has been and always will be. He's so fucking stupid he couldn't tell the difference between Mexico and Italy on his own whereabouts form. Suspect he's just spouting off to try and curry favour with Hansen's fans Denmark after being disgraced - if Cav were disqualified it would bump Hansen up to silver
  • Off_it said:

rina said:

there was a bit of a farce in the high hurdles last night. the first 2 heats were run in a monsoon. officials then decided it was too wet so suspended the competition until it was dry and then ran the other 3 heats

it was then decided that the conditions had been unfair to those in heats 1 and 2 so the 8 runners who did not automatically qualify from those heats were allowed to run again in the dry and try to get one of the fastest loser slots- only jamaica's Deuce Carter ran quick enough, eliminating (rather unfairly imo) a runner who had previously thought he was through

the thing is, Deuce had been DQed in the original heat for going out of his lane and hitting someone else's hurdle

so we now have a runner in the semi final who is a real medal prospect but who was originally DQed from the event

I saw that too @rina.

Thing is, he only got DQ'd because he kept hitting the hurdles badly - I think they all did apart from the winner - and he only did that because he probably couldn't see them properly because of the rain.

I think they were wrong to run the race in the first place. But as they did it is only right that all of them got the chance to run again when it wasn't bucketing it down.

I've just been told that the official results show only 4 starters in each of the first 2 heats hence Deuces DQ not counting, officially he didn't run

This is terrible as 2 athletes from heats 1 and 2 chose not to run in heat 6 so there is now no record of them having competed at the Olympics at all, they are simply listed as DNS
  • Both girls in sprint semis tonight
  • Anyone know why women boxers wear headguards and men don't now?
  • Poor Jack Burrell disqualified in Open Water 10km. Yellow cards dished out in closing stages and he's really not happy
  • Poor Jack Burrell disqualified in Open Water 10km. Yellow cards dished out in closing stages and he's really not happy

He was properly angry.

• red_murph said:

Anyone know why women boxers wear headguards and men don't now?

So that dont mess up their hair.
  • red_murph said:

they were banned in the men's for 2 reasons both of which meant less damage is caused without them- they block peripheral vision and studies showed that men went for harder headshots if oppo was wearing a headguard which offset the protection offered

not enough studies have been done into women's yet as it's a new sport so they've kept them, it's thought though that with the lesser force of a woman's punch that the protection makes it safer
  • The boxing is an absolute joke. Conlan just lost to a Russian by one round, when he was the better boxer in all 3.
  • What is going on with boxing judging?

Very dodgy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Always has been. Seems a lot worse this time around though. Couple of Russians on the good end of poor decisions will only highlight it in the news reports no doubt
  • Robbed Conlan of a chance at a medal and robbed everyone of seeing a potential cracking fight with him v Shakur Stevenson
  • Robbed Conlan of a chance at a medal and robbed everyone of seeing a potential cracking fight with him v Shakur Stevenson

Am I the only person who read that as Shakin Stevens!

Am I the only person who read that as Shakin Stevens!
    I can't speak for everyone.....but out of us two you are.
  • the riders who fell yesterday, how did they rejoin? Did they have to wait to join the peleton?
  • race was neutralised for about 10 laps
  • rina said:

red_murph said:

they were banned in the men's for 2 reasons both of which meant less damage is caused without them- they block peripheral vision and studies showed that men went for harder headshots if oppo was wearing a headguard which offset the protection offered

not enough studies have been done into women's yet as it's a new sport so they've kept them, it's thought though that with the lesser force of a woman's punch that the protection makes it safer
    Thanks Rina
  • Mick Conlan was cheated robbed and it's a disgrace you cant even appeal

Joke decision. Check out his interview with RTE, fair to say he doesn't hold back.
  • Sponsored links:

• red_murph said:

Mick Conlan was cheated robbed and it's a disgrace you cant even appeal

Joke decision. Check out his interview with RTE, fair to say he doesn't hold back.
    He should have been protected by his team before giving that interview there was enough officials with his team that should have contributed. Not poor mick
  • rina said:

aliwibble said:

You really need to watch the pole vault final on the highlights in the morning

100% this. so pleased I stayed up to watch despite the 30 minute delay. this was my highlight of the games so far
    The thing that got me was Steve Backley saying "The Brazilian's opted to pass! Well that's.... brave" and Cram going "By brave do you mean foolish?" and them both having to eat their words a few minutes later.

Is that definitely true? I remember an incident at London 2012 when a Japanese boxer lost despite knocking his opponent down 4-5 times in the last round and somehow the fight wasn't stopped. He appealed and won and the ref was sent home.
  • Amy Tinkler gets bronze in gymnastics, on the floor!

Biles was brilliant in getting Gold
  • The Americans were brilliant but that is a wonderful Bronze for Amy.

Bring on the cycling.

Is that definitely true? I remember an incident at London 2012 when a Japanese boxer lost despite knocking his opponent down 4-5 times in the last round and somehow the fight wasn't stopped. He appealed and won and the ref was sent home.
    There are no appeals. They removed that for these olympics
  • Brazil Sweden womens game gone to pens on bbc4. The Brazil goalies eyes are mesmerising.
  • Nile has a chance of medalling on high bar. Zonderland and Hambuchen the ones to beat.

Looking good for sailing ladies too.
  • Brazil Sweden womens game gone to pens on bbc4. The Brazil goalies eyes are mesmerising.

Brazil are out! A nation is stunned
  • red_murph said:

Nile has a chance of medalling on high bar. Zonderland and Hambuchen the ones to beat.

Looking good for sailing ladies too.

Bronze for Nile Wilson!