Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2016 Olympics in Rio...

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The best team on the night didn't win BUT
    GB won all their 8 matches and Hinch was awesome.
    lower skills than normal, maybe nerves but they never believe they are beaten and they got the rub of the Blue plus the post was on their side.

We are a stable in form. plus the coaches and back up teams in Hockey, Rowing and cycling don't miss a trick in the professional way they get our teams to peak for the Olympics. The sad truth is our male hockey players just didn't have enough good players to get us out of the group.

Another vote for Sam Quek.

I would say it must be 100% Hinch as MOM or WOM. (for GB)
    That must be a shay.
  • Options
    I prefer that penalty idea to football's current placed kick.
  • Options
    Poor by the Dutch who barely managed a smile for winning a SILVER medal. Glad our girls stuffed them. Review looked like a trip to me also.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    They said on the BBC earlier that Usain Bolt has run 9 of the 30 fastest 100 metres of all time.

The other 21 times were all run by someone who has been done for doping at some point, either before or after they recorded that time.

So what do we reckon, he's just a supreme athlete and freak of nature, or he just hasn't been caught, yet?

God, I hope it's the first one. But it does make you wonder.
  • Options

Poor by the Dutch who barely managed a smile for winning a SILVER medal. Glad our girls stuffed them. Review looked like a trip to me also.

Harsh, any team losing a final in that way would be devastated
    As they should be. Top athletes have a saying: you don't win silver, you lose gold.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

They said on the BBC earlier that Usain Bolt has run 9 of the 30 fastest 100 metres of all time.

The other 21 times were all run by someone who has been done for doping at some point, either before or after they recorded that time.

So what do we reckon, he's just a supreme athlete and freak of nature, or he just hasn't been caught, yet?

If he hasn't been caught in 8 years, winning 8 Olympic golds and countless diamond league/world championships etc. then props to him.

I reckon it's just a perfect storm of advances in technology and him being a freak of nature, sprinters shouldn't be that tall
  • Options
    Wtf happened there? Our guy was in control of the Taekwondo final and then turns away to celebrate and then a kick was sneaked in surely after time was up?

Maybe I don't know the rules but the clock was at 0:00 before the hit.
  • Options
    Triple triple for Bolt.
  • Options
    If you want to see the definition of gutted look at the interview with the Taekwondo guy, absolutely heartbroken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    red_murph said:

If you want to see the definition of gutted look at the interview with the Taekwondo guy, absolutely heartbroken.

He literally had the victory snatched away from him as the final hooter went, I'm not sure anyone has ever won/lost anything with such a late score
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Missed the 4x100 live so just caught up. I know it's been said before but what a phenomonen Usain Bolt is. Just for second there, it looked like the Japanese athlete was going to stay with him, but then bam he pulled a 5 metre lead in about 3 paces. It's like has has a turbo charger, over drive and afterburners all in one. He makes you say wow.

It's such a shame that now with every amazing performance in track and field, you can't help but wonder if they have been doping. I don't believe that Bolt is a cheat, but there will always be that nagging doubt. That makes me sad.

That ninth gold tonight puts him in the bracket of all time greats, in with the likes of Phelps, Fedder and Ali.
  • Options
    The Modern Pentathlon is a strange event innit?

I note that it has evolved and changed over the years. The running and shooting are now combined to follow the horse jumping, swimming and fencing. I think a further improvement would be to pin the shooting targets on the competitors and arm them with paintball guns.

That way glory could be won and lost on the finish line and it would generate a bit of excitement for the spectators.
  • Options
    Felt for the Taekwondo guy. He'll pick himself up and get gold in Tokyo. As for the Hockey, Great Britain had the best goalkeeper by a country mile - it was clear throughout the competition. Maddie Hinch take a bow - well done to the rest of the team too.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Off_it said:

If Bolt was ever found to have been doping, then they might as well stop athletics as that'd pretty much finish it off, no one would ever trust a sprinter again.

However, i believe he's just a freak of nature, he's not well built, stocky etc like most typical sprinters, he's a long, gangly freak. 6ft 5 by the age of 15 and broke all number of junior records. He was the first junior to break 20 seconds for the 200m at the age of 18 so it's clear that he is a natural talent.

The difference with Bolt and dopers (let's take Gatlin as an example) is that Bolt had the natural talent and peaked in his mid 20s, he's even talking about retiring next year at 30. Whereas Gatlin started to run faster as he got into his 30s (in fact his personal bests for both 100 and 200 were when he was 33 years old!), that says everything.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Feel for Steve Cram if it ever comes out.

The amount of man love he has for the fella is seismic.
  • Options
    How old was Linford Christie when he set his PB ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Something like 58 werent he? That ginseng is great stuff.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

He set the British record in 1993 of 9.87. Makes that roughly 23 years ago. He's 56 now, so that would have made him 33ish.
  • Options
    Just looked it up, he was 33.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

33, 5 years after his first positive test
  • Options
    The shock for me was how poor the USA was in the men's 4 * 100. Leaving aside the disqualification, to come a poor 3rd behind Japan is a dismal performance.

Even in the individuals, they don't seem to have much talent, the Canadian guy De Grasse looks like the guy who will win when Bolt retires
  • Options
    What happened in the 4 x 400 how have we been Dqd, no one can work it out, officiating at rio has been the worst
  • Options

Got to say,the Team GB tracksuit tops are wank. Look like something you'd get from Sports Direct

They look like plastic bags pulled in at the middle and not at all flattering.
  • Options

Got to say,the Team GB tracksuit tops are wank. Look like something you'd get from Sports Direct

Nick Skelton wearing that tracksuit was the most awe-inspiring sight. How a man can be that un-worried about his appearance is commendable. He deserves another gold for that alone!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Nick Skelton wearing that tracksuit was the most awe-inspiring sight. How a man can be that un-worried about his appearance is commendable. He deserves another gold for that alone!
    It looks especially daft as he's kept on his formal shirt and tie underneath!

• Options
    Singles Canoe final at 1.07.
  • Options

Good old Stella McCartney.
  • Options

Singles Canoe final at 1.07.

Yes Gold for Heath.