Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walsall v Charlton - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    We played really well I thought. Defensively we were solid, Rudd was at fault for the goal but made that can be forgiven as he made some absolutely brilliant saves.

Holmes will be player of the season at this rate. It's not surprising that he isn't lasting 90 minutes. All he does is drives the team forward.

Ajose - well he scored two flukes. The first was a header that just hit him and the second was a ball that seemed to get stuck between his legs before rolling into the back of the net... However, he can score flukes every week if he wants too. Delighted that he scores as that should relax him.

Magennis is what we've been crying out for since Yann. A player that can win a header and play with his feet. That run for the second goal was sublime really and that wasn't the first one of those he done in the game.

Solly could've scored a rare goal too. I'm hoping he will get one this season.

In terms of injuries - Jacko looked tired from the offset and was feeling the back of his leg. Holmes signalled to the bench and hobbled off and at the end of the game, Rudd took a goal kick and immediately felt his left hamstring and seemed to scream in pain before hobbling about for a little bit. I hope that they're not bad injuries but Rudd definitely seemed to pull up.

The fans were class. "Just sell the club" was being sung for about 15 minutes straight! Great support from all of us.
  • Options
    Brilliant chant. No swearing in it either Katrien Meire !
  • Options
    Very fun away day and the away support was fierce throughout. Great noise in the away end.

Did about 8 away games last year and didn't see us win any, so really nice to finally put that run to bed and travel back to London with smiles on our faces!
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2016
    jamescafc said:

A decent performance but don't like how we invite teams on to us. Fortunately Walsall didn't have much to offer in the final third.

Thought we were very good on the counter attack though with Magennis' pace and power.

Special mention to Konza and Crofts who I thought were excellent today.

I remarked on this on the match thread. Didn't feel comfortable taking off Ajose and replacing him with Bauer. I'd rather keep an attacking threat to give them something to think about.
  • Options
    Fantastic result and the warm glow of a celebratory post match thread to boot.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    We do need a couple of additions still. We started last season off relatively strongly but injuries too their toll. I remember us starting with 3 inexperienced left backs at home to Preston last season. You can't be doing this if you are to have a good season! We have a fantastic opportunity to get promoted - how much is that worth to the owner? It would be stupid not to spend a modest additional amount to make it far more likely.
  • Options
    Woken up with very croaky voice due to singing more than I have done in a long time."Just sell the club...." was brilliant, just as you thought it was going to end it got louded.Loved it.

Some good pubs in Chinatown too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Epsom Addick has left nothing for me to say tonight - great post !

In some ways, today was a "throwback" to the good old times when an away game seemed far more exciting than a home match.

We'd drive up the M25/M1/M6, scarf in the back and one flying out from the passenger window, tooting at other travelling Addicks , identified by their colours. Such camaraderie en route added to the day's fun.

Then there was the era of Betty's legendary coach travel. Scratch cards, sweets, games of Chase the Ace, and mince pies/Xmas cake etc when it was the festive season. Oh and dubious DVDs ( or was it cassettes ?) were also the order of the day. Such good memories that Roland & co will never erase but would inevitably describe as weird.

Today, following some desperate trips up north last season, there seemed to be the ghost of bygone days hovering in the vicinity of the Bescot Stadium. The Saddlers' Club on site is a bonus for travelling fans - a venue to meet up with fellow fans & enjoy hot, cheap fare alongside a wine or three before the battle of the day begins. A pity KM didn't pop her head in there this afternoon ...she might have learned a lesson in how to keep your customers happy.

So, duly fed & watered and having bonded once again with like minded Addicks in a congenial atmosphere, the faithful made their way to the seats. A very decent turn out deserved a decent performance and so it was.

For the first time this season, it appeared to me that we were all singing from the same hymn sheet. Plenty of VFR renditions and lots of vocal support for the lads was tempered by my first hearing of the new number 1 "single". The flag tampering had clearly heightened emotions and the continuous chanting aimed towards the Directors' Box was brilliant and MUST be a feature of every match until "they" pack their bags. I didn't hear any anti protestors shouting it down and the lack of "Stand up if you want them out" meant that no-one's view was obscured & peace reigned for once. I'm sure that the players & Brussell understood the sentiment whilst they were buoyed by the ongoing encouragement they duly received . Today, I was especially proud to be a Charlton supporter.

The match itself ? Well, the result alone will suffice but the seeds have been sown & the outlook is promising although more than that I'll leave to oohahh 's expertise. We now have 3 players with 2 goals apiece which is encouraging and are beginning to look more like a team than a group of strangers. A couple of carefully selected additions to bolster & add creativity to the squad is required but time is running out. Whether our BFG, Tex and Lookie will be wearing the shirt when we make our way to Scunthorpe (or maybe not) remains to be seen but our L1 opponents will hope all 3 will be plying their trade elsewhere.

So, we look forward to welcoming the Wanderers to The Valley in 7 days time with a degree of optimism in our hearts & I feel sure that endeavour on the pitch will be duly rewarded by our unfailing support, as indeed it should be.

But, rest assured, Ms Meire, your pathetic effort to make your point today will not be forgotten ...merely added to a long & ever growing list of gaffes that will haunt you for many a moon. And the protest chant you tried hard to ignore today will ring out around The Valley even louder & longer than you could ever imagine.

That's a promise.

you're back on top form Fanny F .. long may it last
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed at the end of that video. It shows the trophy at The Valley?
  • Options

Has anyone noticed at the end of that video. It shows the trophy at The Valley?
    Probably from the Bournemouth game.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

League one football is dull.

Delighted I saw my first away win in almost 2 and half years.

Overall I thought we deserved the win.

After going to the Exciting 6-0 defeat when Hull City declared after 80 minutes and watched the CB masterclass from Johnson and Williams; a stint in local Rep, learning our lines before getting back to the West End may not be such a bad thing.

Our main Problem is dispatching the Wicked Witch and the unseen Giant.
    Roger Johnson is the Panto Villian: Oh no he's Not.
    A captain Hook character who along with Roly and Daisy ?

The clock Is Ticking.

• Options
    Just seen extended highlights and can't believe Solly didn't square it when he was 1 on 1! Most unlike him.
  • Options
    Top stuff lads.
    A good win.
    Magennis looks decent.
  • Options
    How is Konsa doing? Well enough to play instead of Bauer?
  • Options

Given that Bolton are next and given that the team always respond well to support and given that the consensus is to support the team and not the regime then after this game it would be great if more fans got their bums on a seat next Saturday to see their beloved charlton fight the fight for promotion.

I saw that yesterday, no need to visit the valley to support the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'd prefer Bauer and also think Lennon would be in front of him. Konsa is still very young. Could play instead of Pearce who can be dislodged.

We generally have 6 CBs, 5 of which would be comfortable starting in this league. (Bauer, Pearce, Tex, Lennon, Konsa)
  • Options

if we're not signing another midfielder, Konsa could well develop into a decent 'holder' ... his passing, admittedly under less pressure from the back, is more accurate than Cousins, he is pacey, is quite a big lad, can tackle, is super confident and has a great attitude ..
    we need Bauer at the back as we lack height in the centre .. I digress, but was pleased to see that Tex and Bauer have such a good relationship. I was convinced that Tex was a definite leaver .. we are very well served in central defence, essential as excellent defence will be the crucial area IF/when we are well on the road to promotion
  • Options
    After another week of training, maybe Bauer will start against Bolton, where his greater experience may help

Having said that, while showing promise last season, he did get sent off twice for professional fouls which we can do without!
  • Options

Given that Bolton are next and given that the team always respond well to support and given that the consensus is to support the team and not the regime then after this game it would be great if more fans got their bums on a seat next Saturday to see their beloved charlton fight the fight for promotion.

Don't agree whatsoever that the team always respond well to support

Are you saying the support at Bury wasn't good enough
    I think the support v Northampton was good as well

How did Pompey ever fall down the leagues their support is miles ahead of ours
    You try telling the apologists that!
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Just seen extended highlights and can't believe Solly didn't square it when he was 1 on 1! Most unlike him.

Where are the extended highlights?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

In the First Half though there was one occasion I remember reading on twitter when he should have shot rather than passed so guess that was playing on his mind
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

Where are the extended highlights?
    On the Player on the website I assume.