Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walsall v Charlton - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    The trouble with winning a match, only a few of us have something to post.

On the other hand, if we'd lost .......

;o)
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

Just seen extended highlights and can't believe Solly didn't square it when he was 1 on 1! Most unlike him.

Where are the extended highlights?
    Sorry when I say 'extended' I just mean the 2 minute CAFC Twitter post as opposed to the pitiful 45 seconds that were on Football League Goals or whatever it's called this week.
  • Options
    I said after Tuesday 3-0 win when it just wasn't Ajose's night
    that IF we could get enough balls into the six yards box that He would score plenty over a season. He's a old fashion goal hanger which works fine in League 1. Yesterday he was in the right place even if the execution was messy ! Some matches he will be ineffective because the service won't be there. The crowd need to stick with him because if he stays fit 20 plus goals could be on there way.
  • Options

How is Konsa doing? Well enough to play instead of Bauer?

I'd prefer Bauer and also think Lennon would be in front of him. Konsa is still very young. Could play instead of Pearce who can be dislodged.

We generally have 6 CBs, 5 of which would be comfortable starting in this league. (Bauer, Pearce, Tex, Lennon, Konsa)
    Diarra played excellently IMO last season as CB - when fit. Think at least 1 (probably both) of Tex & Bauer will leave by xmas at the latest.

Leaving Lennon, Pearce, Konsa, Diarra & Johnson. That looks a good group of C.B s for league 1 to me.

Only saying this because the salary saved would (hopefully?) be prioritized by Brussels for extra quality in midfield.

PS. well done to everybody who made the trip yesterday, Have promised myself to get to an away game soon.

• Options

Oggy Red said:

A couple of posters mentioning that Ajose was lucky to have scored a couple of flukes.

Fair enough, we each have our own opinions. But IMO though, Ajose scored because he was in the right place at the right time, reading the play and moving in anticipation.
    And however scruffy his goals may look, most importantly he finished.

Often we've seen these chances go begging - scrambled off the line or trickling past the far post, almost a Charlton attacking trademark.
    Today Ajose put those 2 chances away. We've long lacked that kind of poacher.

In his heyday, the legendary Jimmy Greaves scored plenty of goals just like that - saying that whether they're spectacular or bundled over the line, all goals count the same.

Last season that cross from Magennis would have gone across the goal, with Big Mak, Igor or TW 2 yards away from it, either because they didn't anticipate well enough or because they were too slow to get there
    2 yards? I'm not sure they would have got that close...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

A couple of posters mentioning that Ajose was lucky to have scored a couple of flukes.

Fair enough, we each have our own opinions. But IMO though, Ajose scored because he was in the right place at the right time, reading the play and moving in anticipation.

Often we've seen these chances go begging - scrambled off the line or trickling past the far post, almost a Charlton attacking trademark.

In his heyday, the legendary Jimmy Greaves scored plenty of goals just like that - saying that whether they're spectacular or bundled over the line, all goals count the same.

Can't score them if you're not in the right place.

No pictures on the scoresheet.

Other cliches.

It also sounds like he had a lovely chip come off the bar. Swings and roundabouts. Sometimes for a player like that it just takes one deflecting in off their arse to get them up for it.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Last season that cross from Magennis would have gone across the goal, with Big Mak, Igor or TW 2 yards away from it, either because they didn't anticipate well enough or because they were too slow to get there
    To be fair to TWWW he'd have been coming in from Cardiff or Blackburn trying to convert the chance. Not easy that!
  • Options
    I will not stand for any negative comments towards Tony Watt. He is a beautiful man and a beautiful footballer.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Just seen extended highlights and can't believe Solly didn't square it when he was 1 on 1! Most unlike him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

JaShea99 said:

Try here:

AJOSE AT THE DOUBLE |

Watch the goals from yesterday's 2-1 win at Walsall #cafchttps://t.co/54IXeOQAXP

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) August 21, 2016
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    A massive improvement since the Bury game where the team seems to have gelled a lot more and we have a bit more of a presence in midfield though still room for improvement but also helped by Magennis being able to hold the ball up also relieving some pressure.

I'd say we deserved the win though we probably made harder work of Walsall than we ought to have, at 1-0 we were sitting back for much of the 2nd half without finding an outlet up front when we cleared so almost became a bit like the Bury game in that sense and very frustrating to concede such a cheap goal from nowhere. Rudd knew he should have done better and after we went 2-1 up he turned to us and raised his hand in an apologetic manner.

Great to see Bauer back and as good as Konsa's been i'd still have Bauer in the team as there were still a few instances yesterday when they got into our penalty box too easily. In reality it probably should have been a bigger scoreline for both teams something like a 3-2 or 4-2 to us if both teams had a bit more quality / better luck in front of goal.

Concerning to see Rudd and Holmes possibly picking up hamstring injuries, lets hope this isn't the case but if either have to have a spell on the sidelines it'll be a real blow both players are vital to us with lack of cover available.

Also great to see Ajose up and running on the scoresheet, potentially the 11/12 team's BWP.
  • Options
    I think that Slade is like Powell in that he is negative when we are ahead. Not to my liking but he is clearly an excellent manager and I'll take that at the end of the day.
  • Options
    I am going by his player recruitment. I'm not sure he is an excellent tactician but credit where it's due!
  • Options
    Yep just had £20 on us to win the league 10/1 just going to get better and better this team
  • Options
    If we escape injuries, possibly! Look at posts on here after we beat Hull last season!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Yep just had £20 on us to win the league 10/1 just going to get better and better this team

Amazing what a day on the drink can do to somebody's nut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

clb74 said:

Says a man who knows......,,
    Oh jesus, I walked straight into that one!

Multiple lol's to you for that knockout blow.
  • Options
    Thanks for calling me a man btw.
  • Options

That's not what little Al was saying to big Al yesterday! :wink:
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

That's not what little Al was saying to big Al yesterday! :wink:
    Sticks and stones dear boy.
  • Options

I think that Slade is like Powell in that he is negative when we are ahead. Not to my liking but he is clearly an excellent manager and I'll take that at the end of the day.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself. Walsall were poor and the game could easily have gone the other way.
  • Options

clb74 said:

You're right there mate keep seeing some little bloke off charlton life brom south,beckenham wanted euros 1.5 to the pound cheeky git not drinking at football again I wonder what he made of the 2nd half
  • Options

BIG game next week against Notlob .. early season six pointer ? .. let's send Parkinson's team home with their collective tails between their legs

I didn't know we're playing Ipswich on Saturday.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Not going to get carried away, still time for RD to fuck it all up.

Rudd 8 - three outstanding saves but at fault for goal
    Solly - 7 - as solid as always but missed simple chance
    Fox - 6 - didn't get forward but otherwise ok
    Konsa 7 - did nothing wrong
    Pearce 7 - likewise
    Holmes 8 - always positive and direct; assist for goal
    Foley 7 - underestimated; great work rate and covering
    Crofts 7 - a battler in the centre of the park
    Jackson - 5 largely anonymous
    Ajose - 6 two simple finishes and unlucky with cheeky lob
    Magennis 8 - outstanding; great signing

Lookman - 6 - held ball up well to stop it pinging back
    Holmes Dennis 5 - barely involved
    Bauer 6 - good to see him back in unfamiliar role

6 for the bloke that scored our only goals.
    The lob was the best thing he did. Apart from that and two finishes that Harry Redknapp's wife could have scored (the first would have bounced in off her bust), he didn't do much all game. 6 might be a bit harsh but it wasn't an 8 or 9 performance.