Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walsall v Charlton - Post Match Thread

12346»

Comments

• Options

We all could have scored them if we were in the right place. That is the trick. I'm pretty sure most if not all of us would not have been in the right place and I include Redknapp's wife in that.

Yes, indeed. If 'all' he does over the season is average a goal every two games, I, like most, will be more than happy.

For those saying the first goal hit him and went in, at the time it looked like a definite sticking out of the chest to purposefully deflect the ball in. Hard to see on the replay.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

An enjoyable afternoon, its good to see the team gelling. Was really impressed by Magennis upfront, power, pace, good in the air and unselfish in his build up for our second goal. Also has the added bonus of a long throw. Crofts in midfield was outstanding, holding the whole team together, tackling, courageous blocks, sensible accurate passing and developing a good understanding with those around him.

Disappointed with both full backs. Not so much in their defensive abilities, but their link up play with the midfield down the flanks. Need to improve in this area, too many aimless hoofs downfield, giving posession away.

Ricky was struggling with his ankle, and was not the influence he has been, but he's a plucky chap and kept battling away to try to create something.

It did make me smile, an ironic one, when during the second half, after 10 mins of continual chanting the " Just sell the club, our famous football club" song, Walsall equalised! Don't want pelters for this comment, it just made me chuckle.

Support the team, not the regime!

had some bloke behind me who for that entire ten minute spell was saying "we should be singing songs for the players, none of this anti regime stuff gets behind them" but then proceeded to call a number of players "f*king useless" when they misplaced a pass. How's that for ironic.

I actually wonder if the nature of the song makes any difference to the players? Could they really give a shit if we're singing VFR, 'just sell the club', or 'come on you reds'. Doubtful.
  • Options
    In my view Ajose was much more impressive in the two home games, manufacturing chances for himself and much more active in link-up play.

It thus seems strange that two finishes from a yard out from goals which Holmes and Magennis (twice) did most of the hard work for, should catapult him into a potential MotM performance and an 8/10 rating.
  • Options

In my view Ajose was much more impressive in the two home games, manufacturing chances for himself and much more active in link-up play.

It thus seems strange that two finishes from a yard out from goals which Holmes and Magennis (twice) did most of the hard work for, should catapult him into a potential MotM performance and an 8/10 rating.

Strikers always get the plaudits in Football though dont they.

i.e. Look at the Ballon D'Or over recent decades and you'll see its always the Strikers win, Hodgson himself was ridiculed when he put Mascherano as one of his top three yet putting a Defender on the shortlist isnt as crazy as it sounds... Yes its a Striker that scores the goals to win matches yet if Defenders didnt do their job and let in a load of goals, then it wouldnt matter how many the Striker scores
  • Options
    I seem to remember Paddy and Flash used to do all the hard work of supplying passes for Killer to do the 'easy' bit of scoring...
  • Options

I think that Slade is like Powell in that he is negative when we are ahead. Not to my liking but he is clearly an excellent manager and I'll take that at the end of the day.

I don't think this is true. In both home games, he always made like for like substitutions, even when 3-0 up.

Maybe he just wanted to get more minutes into Bauer?
  • Options

Strikers always get the plaudits in Football though dont they.

i.e. Look at the Ballon D'Or over recent decades and you'll see its always the Strikers win, Hodgson himself was ridiculed when he put Mascherano as one of his top three yet putting a Defender on the shortlist isnt as crazy as it sounds... Yes its a Striker that scores the goals to win matches yet if Defenders didnt do their job and let in a load of goals, then it wouldnt matter how many the Striker scores
    They do but then again Rudd pulled off two brilliant saves, each of which were 'worth a goal' but most fans will remember him for his mistake for the one that slipped through.
  • Options

I think that Slade is like Powell in that he is negative when we are ahead. Not to my liking but he is clearly an excellent manager and I'll take that at the end of the day.

Yeah he was negative by taking off Ajose and putting Bauer on but just imagine what would have happened on here had he left Ajose on with Walsall taking advantage of one of those last minute chances.

Just shows the fine margins in Football as yes you could say that Slade was negative but got the decision right so would say he was brave in making the correct decision as at the same time, making the change could have seen a situation similar to the England v Russia game from the Euros
  • Options

I don't think this is true. In both home games, he always made like for like substitutions, even when 3-0 up.

Maybe he just wanted to get more minutes into Bauer?
    Maybe he just wanted fresh legs to replace players that had given their all and being only August didn't have the match time reserve stamina they will have built up by September/October
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016

Yeah he was negative by taking off Ajose and putting Bauer on but just imagine what would have happened on here had he left Ajose on with Walsall taking advantage of one of those last minute chances.

Just shows the fine margins in Football as yes you could say that Slade was negative but got the decision right so would say he was brave in making the correct decision as at the same time, making the change could have seen a situation similar to the England v Russia game from the Euros
    I don't disagree. I have a belief and that is all it is - and it may be wrong - that you should always try to get more if you are on top. I'd have Powell back but didn't like defending a lead. A lot of managers think differently to me, and they are better qulaified than me, but I still think defending when you are on top loses you more points than it wins you.
  • Options

I don't disagree. I have a belief and that is all it is - and it may be wrong - that you should always try to get more if you are on top. I'd have Powell back but didn't like defending a lead. A lot of managers think differently to me, and they are better qulaified than me, but I still think defending when you are on top loses you more points than it wins you.
    Dont get me wrong... I'm not saying that your approach is the wrong one by any means.

As the saying goes: The best form of Defence is to Attack

Just using Slade as an example where his decision on Saturday was the right one, yet at the same time was using Hodgson to prove that it could so easily have been the wrong one... Ultimately shows the difficulty of being a Manager.
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Delighted for Ajose aswell, right poachers goals and then the lob he nearly pulled of shows a touch of glass.

If he gets the breaks, he'll have lots of smashing opportunities.

• Options
    I thought Ajose delivered a 6/10 performance, but I gave an extra point for each goal. I also though Rudd gave an 8.5 but minused 1 for the mistake. There are key moments in games that will either win you or lose them, everyone sees these differently and will judge them how they see it.

But by my marking system when someone gives Ajose a 6 I find that quite harsh!
  • Options
    Really enjoyable away trip, and good night out in Birmingham afterwards.

As others have said, encouraging to come back after the equaliser straight away like we did. Probably deserved the win overall.

Rudd is clearly a good keeper. Couple of dodgy moments - not only the goal, which he should have saved, but a fumble in the first half that a more alert Walsall striker might have converted - but well made up for with at least 3 top class saves.

The defence were solid. Konsa looked very assured (although at his age still hope that his main use this season will be as back-up). Solly was good, though maybe should have scored or set up a goal when through in the box. Fox was decent, though his passing is still a bit mad.

Our central midfield is definitely still a problem. Especially noticeable in the first half how easy it was for Walsall to move straight through the middle of us. Foley and Crofts often very slow to close down opposition players. Hardly any of our attacking play goes through them - don't think we can go the whole season relying on long punts upfield to Magennis, or 'give it to Holmes' (although these were both pretty effective on Saturday.)

Holmes is a class above, definitely. Hope he's not injured. Magennis was also good. Wins far more in the air than Makienok did, and has a nice touch with chest or feet. Great work for the second goal.

Ajose in the right place at the right time and scored twice. Can't really ask for much more from a striker to be honest. If you look at his goals from last season most were from inside the six-yard box. Haven't had a player like that in a while. He clearly has more to his game as well though, as the chip attempt showed.

Finally, the crowd were amazing. The perfect atmosphere, equally vocal in expressing anger at the regime and support for the players. My favourite moment was when someone piped up with 'Katrien's a liar, Charlton fans are terrified' - deserve more of an airing. I'm still hesistant about singing lovesongs to Russell Slade - having sung however many managers' names in the last couple of years - but really enjoyed the atmosphere throughout the game. Looking forward to more away trips! Roland out!
  • Options
    jeff bonser gets tosser of the weekend award for getting the bottom half of the flag covered up.
  • Options

We held on for the win on Saturday, thus RS made the right call. If, on the other hand Walsall had scored in the last minute, after we had desperately tried to hang on for 10 minutes, it would have been the wrong call!

History is written by the winners :smile:
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2016
    vff said:

Brilliant chant. No swearing in it either Katrien Meire !

------------------------
    Shitty shit. - @Callumcafc
    ------------------------

Language Katrien !!! - vff
  • Options
    First game of the season for me, pleased with what I saw. Magennis looks like he'll be a handful for all opposing defenders this season, Rudd will save us more points than he drops, Konsa looks a good prospect and Ajose was in the right place for the goals. This time last season I felt the same, but that didn't work out well did it, The one dimension-ness of Luzon team was found out in quick succession by Rotherham and Huddersfield and that was before "injuries and bad luck" kicked in. Slade for my money is a better coach than all before since Powell, but things will depend on how well he is backed, can't see us going up with this current squad as I feel it needs bolstering. Good to see Mlle. Meire or one of her myrmidons getting upset about the flag.
    Just sell the club, Our famous football club, We just don't really want you here.
  • Options

In his post match interview, Slade did explain why he had put Bauer on.

He said that Walsall had brought on a late sub to play in the hole behind their 2 strikers - and that he needed to counter that by having Bauer to contest that space and going 4-1-4-1 without changing the roles of other players.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Substituting Jackson for Lookman after 58 minutes couldn't be described as a defensive move when we were 1-0 up - he could easily have put Holmes-Dennis on then rather than wait until the 80th minute.
  • Options

Substituting Jackson for Lookman after 58 minutes couldn't be described as a defensive move when we were 1-0 up - he could easily have put Holmes-Dennis on then rather than wait until the 80th minute.

I agree. I don't think we should be questioning his decisions when we're winning anyway.
    Question them when we lose