Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should the Notting Hill Carnival continue in it's present form ?

edited September 2016 in Not Sports Related
I have felt for a long time, that something needs to be done to reduce the violence and protect the people who attend to enjoy themselves, which are of course the vast majority.

It seems akin to many demonstrations. It all starts off peacefully and wonderful and then it gets "infected" by the unruly mob, who have less chance of being apprehended with all the people around.

This year Scotland Yard made 454 arrests across the two days of the Bank Holiday street party, including 45 attacks on police and 88 knife-related incidents.

Metropolitan Police Federation chairman Ken Marsh claimed that rank-and-file officers “dread” the event, the biggest of its kind in Europe, in which they are treated as “professional punchbags”.

There are suggestions that the festival could be held in Hyde Park, an all ticket affair, where attendees are searched beforehand.

Ok, it won't be quite the same, but surely a better idea, that the revellers can revel, without the risk of being robbed and assaulted ?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/singer-who-was-stabbed-at-notting-hill-carnival-we-cant-let-a-crazed-minority-ruin-it-a3336686.html

Comments

• Options
    Yes it should.
  • Options
    Have they not got two water cannon in storage somewhere?

About time we manned up and gave the great unwashed a bath at the same time.
  • Options
    Yes it should... Went the Monday and it was brilliant
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    The amount of violence that occurs should mean that they stop it or move it. It was ridiculous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The people committing crimes would only be causing trouble elsewhere. Keep it as it is.
    I don't like the Notting Hill Carnival, but that's irrelevant.
  • Options
    Having worked it this year, I enjoyed it so much that I've already booked the time off for next year. Lovely family day out.
  • Options

It starts at the end of my road and it is not a fun weekend for residents. It's also a little bit stabbier than an event should be and that needs dealing with. If you have a yearly event that is more or less guaranteed stabbings and it isn't a stabbings festival then you probably need to rethink at least a little bit of it

But that's half the fun of it!
  • Options
    Get rid.

It's a waste of police time, seems to piss off the locals who it infringes upon and generally would've been banned long ago where it not for cultural sensitivities. (See the fall out from Lambeth council cancelling the Brixton event this year, and the response they got which seemed to centre around allegations of racism)
  • Options

454 arrests out of approximately 1,000,000 attendees isn't bad at all.

That's the arrests rather than the incidents. I don't know anything about the carnival but I'm guessing that figure doesn't represent the amount of crimes committed.

If something like that happened at football, it would be all over the front pages, people's addresses printed in the press, people would be going inside for years and so on.

Cos it's Notting hill and you'll be called racist if you say otherwise, it's just described as a good vibe.

Would it? Plenty of incidents occur at football matches without hitting the press. I don't see a connection. The racist thing is just stupid. You daft racist.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So is the level of violence higher than a city of 1 million over a Friday and Saturday night?
  • Options

I believe 15 people were stabbed this year at the carnival.
    Mind you, it shows how "used to it" we've become, if some think it should continue in its' present form, because 15 people getting stabbed is not important enough, to want to do something about it to protect the innocent.

Perhaps, we'll wait for the first murder ?

Sadly I don't even think a murder will change people's attitudes: it will simply result in questions being asked over why The Police were unable to prevent it, completely ignoring the scale of the carnival and the warning signs coming out of The Police. (via The Met Fed) For what it's worth, I think we've been lucky with the lack of a murder - but luck runs out.
  • Options
    Let them have it.

There will always be arrests at any major event that attracts those kind of numbers .
  • Options
    You could argue that in Birmingham a large percentage of overall crimes are likely commited in certain concentrated areas on a Friday and Saturday night, are Clubs, Bars, Pubs not supposed to be fun and friendly? should they all be shut down too?