Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should the Notting Hill Carnival continue in it's present form ?

1235»

Comments

• Options

I have felt for a long time, that something needs to be done to reduce the violence and protect the people who attend to enjoy themselves, which are of course the vast majority.

It seems akin to many demonstrations. It all starts off peacefully and wonderful and then it gets "infected" by the unruly mob, who have less chance of being apprehended with all the people around.

This year Scotland Yard made 454 arrests across the two days of the Bank Holiday street party, including 45 attacks on police and 88 knife-related incidents.

Metropolitan Police Federation chairman Ken Marsh claimed that rank-and-file officers “dread” the event, the biggest of its kind in Europe, in which they are treated as “professional punchbags”.

There are suggestions that the festival could be held in Hyde Park, an all ticket affair, where attendees are searched beforehand.

Ok, it won't be quite the same, but surely a better idea, that the revellers can revel, without the risk of being robbed and assaulted ?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/singer-who-was-stabbed-at-notting-hill-carnival-we-cant-let-a-crazed-minority-ruin-it-a3336686.html

Says it all really
    Well apparently it doesn't & it must be seen as acceptable to some, if nothing needs to change.

I often wonder what the people who defend these sort of criminal activities would say if one of their friends or family were sexually assaulted or stabbed. Would that be acceptable to them or should something be done to try and prevent it ?
    Who is defending "these sort of criminal activities"? I don't see anyone at all defending criminal activity? Defending the rights of hundreds of thousands of people to have a good time peacefully in the way they want to, without letting a very small minority spoil it isn't the same thing at all.

Some people drink and drive and people die because of their actions, should all cars be banned?
    I didn't say ban it. I said make it safer for the attendees by ticketing it & putting it in Hyde Park.

The same as we endeavour to reduce drink driving by breathalysing people and making it a criminal offence. We don't just say to the drink drivers, "carry on that's fine".
    Yeah but drink driving has been happening since before Sillav moved in to his house so it can't be stopped
  • Options

When did you move there?

Well it had been going nearly 30 years by then, so you must have known it was local, even if it has expanded since? I live across the road from a pub that was a quiet locals place, then empty for years. Now it is open until 4AM and is one of "the places to be" for the youth of Albufeira. I accept that I bought a house opposite a pub, and paid the going rate for a house opposite a pub. And that's 6 nights a week 52 weeks of the year, not 3 days in 365.
    Hardly the same.

How many stabbings occur at said Pub?
    How many drug arrests are there?
    How many Sexual assaults are there?
    How often are police assaulted at that pub?
  • Options
    edited November 2016