Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

County Championship 2016

Comments

• Options

Really don't understand why Somerset haven't declared yet. They are currently 263-4 and 490 ahead. Only time and the ability to bowl Notts out can stop them from winning.

Waiting for Rogers to get his farewell century?

• Options

Really don't understand why Somerset haven't declared yet. They are currently 263-4 and 490 ahead. Only time and the ability to bowl Notts out can stop them from winning.

That was my feeling but very selfish from him as captain to do so. In fact it's absolutely ridiculous - imagine if the rain unexpectedly arrives tomorrow as it has already in the Midlands yesterday and Southampton today.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Rafiq is out and Yorkshire are still 31 short of that 350 with 3 wickets in hand.

On thing's for certain - both teams will be going all out for the win.
  • Options

That was my feeling but very selfish from him as captain to do so. In fact it's absolutely ridiculous - imagine if the rain unexpectedly arrives tomorrow as it has already in the Midlands yesterday and Southampton today.
    Nasser has just mentioned this too. Apparently there have only been two chases in the history of domestic cricket of over 500 and neither were here - and Notts are bottom of the league for a reason!

The only thing that did occur to me is that Somerset don't want to win too early i.e. so Middlesex think that a draw is good enough for them but that is too bizarre to contemplate.
  • Options
    333-8 and Patterson out caught in the slips - but would you believe that Finn is almost called by the 3rd umpire for a "no ball". Not sure how this works if they don't have the technology for non televised games.

Bresnan 108* at lunch and Yorkshire need 17 more with just 2 wickets left.
  • Options
    Rogers gets his hundred right on lunch with Somerset on 313-5 and a lead of just 540!!!
  • Options
    Fulton, at the ground, can't understand it either and suggests that it might be because Rogers wanted to get his 1000 runs for the season as well as his second century in the match.
  • Options
    Brooks is gone for Yorks. Bresnan is going to be left stranded. Good old Sidebottom is in now and 11 needed,
  • Options

Rogers gets his hundred right on lunch with Somerset on 313-5 and a lead of just 540!!!

Rogers did declare at lunch.
  • Options

The Alastair Cook school of declarations :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This really is fantastic cricket watching Sidebottom against the likes of Finn.

344-9 and 6 needed
  • Options
    I think I am right in saying if Yorks get 350 and win they will win the title whatever Somerset do. If they dont and Somerset win then it is Somerset's title.
  • Options
    redman said:

I think I am right in saying if Yorks get 350 and win they will win the title whatever Somerset do. If they dont and Somerset win then it is Somerset's title.

Yes. And if Middlesex win the game they are champions.

Just 2 needed now.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    349-9. Appeal for lbw. Given not out and hawkeye shows it would have been out.

correction - shows he got an edge - good decision by umpires
  • Options
    they have gone off bad light! How ridiculous!
  • Options
    Would you believe bad light stops play with Yorkshire on 349-9

Bresnan a fantastic 122* (272) and Sidebottom a magnificent 2 off 38 balls!
  • Options
    It is pretty gloomy outside at the moment
  • Options
    It's going to get to a stage where it will be difficult for a result to be "engineered". Yorkshire must declare as soon as they get to 350 (or tell Bresnan that it's "6 or out" from now on) and then hope that they dismiss Middlesex cheaply in the overcast conditions.
  • Options
    Although Middlesex will need to win as well. So will want to go for it and set a total for Yorkshire which could tempt them and get some cheap wickets.
  • Options
    At the other end of the table Durham have gone from 186-7 to 351-8 v Hants. This reduces Hants chances of winning and save Lancs from relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Notts 55-3. Quite how two top order batsmen can get themselves run out when occupying the crease is the order of the day God only knows.

Come on Somerset.
  • Options

Notts 55-3. Quite how two top order batsmen can get themselves run out when occupying the crease is the order of the day God only knows.

Come on Somerset.

{cough} Indian bookmakers {cough}
  • Options

It's going to get to a stage where it will be difficult for a result to be "engineered". Yorkshire must declare as soon as they get to 350 (or tell Bresnan that it's "6 or out" from now on) and then hope that they dismiss Middlesex cheaply in the overcast conditions.

Nice and sunny now, decent batting conditions I imagine, especially if the ball gets damp. Yorkshire may want to bat on for a bit (if they can)
  • Options
    Four sessions to complete another two innings?
  • Options

Well if Yorkshire can get a lead of 130-150 say, then winning by an innings is their only hope. I can't see Middlesex winning now
  • Options
    385-9 and a healthy lead of 115
  • Options
    390 all out and a lead of 120

Bresnan 142*
    Sidebottom 23*
  • Options

Well if Yorkshire can get a lead of 130-150 say, then winning by an innings is their only hope. I can't see Middlesex winning now
    Agreed. They will have to be super aggressive at some point to set any sort of total. In fact, they might take the view tomorrow morning that, as they can't win it, they would rather stop Yorkshire from doing. Although Yorkshire might then start feeding them some runs as an incentive to declare.
  • Options

Agreed. They will have to be super aggressive at some point to set any sort of total. In fact, they might take the view tomorrow morning that, as they can't win it, they would rather stop Yorkshire from doing. Although Yorkshire might then start feeding them some runs as an incentive to declare.
    That crossed my mind. If Yorkshire find Middlesex plodding along without losing wickets, they will need to open the game up.
  • Options
    Notts are losing wickets steadily. Root jnr is at the crease now, I'm sure he'd rather Yorkshire won the title than Somerset!