Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

County Championship 2016

Comments

• Options
    Former England man Sam Robson bags a pair - caught at slip off Sidebottom.

1-1
  • Options
    Middlesex 2nd Innings

1-1

Robson c Lees b Sidebottom 0
  • Options
    Somerset must be cursing their first innings collapse so they missed out on the extra batting point at 400. They collapsed from 302-2 to 322-9.
  • Options
    Somerset 365 & 313-5 dec v Notts 138 & 138-5
  • Options
    Uh oh. Middlesex 2-2 with Robson and Compton finished for the season
  • Options
    And fellow former England opener, Compton. manages just one more in the game than Robson.

2-2
  • Options
    So Middlesex now really have no choice other than to bat for time, make sure that they are still there at tea tomorrow and then try and bowl Yorkshire out in around 30 overs.
  • Options
    Somerset have won already. Pathetic display from Notts.
  • Options

Somerset have won already. Pathetic display from Notts.

2 run outs and a stumping doesn't suggest much of an attempt to save the match

At least young Root battled hard for his county of birth, and happily Root was 66 no :smile:
  • Options

So Middlesex now really have no choice other than to bat for time, make sure that they are still there at tea tomorrow and then try and bowl Yorkshire out in around 30 overs.

I've just looked up the prize money at stake. According to the ECB website, the players' prize money is £374K for 1st place, £169K for second place and £88K for the third place. If Middlesex can't win, they are not going to throw away £80K easily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else hoping for a month's average rain to fall overnight in North London?
  • Options

Four sessions to complete another two innings?

Well if Yorkshire can get a lead of 130-150 say, then winning by an innings is their only hope. I can't see Middlesex winning now
    Agreed. They will have to be super aggressive at some point to set any sort of total. In fact, they might take the view tomorrow morning that, as they can't win it, they would rather stop Yorkshire from doing. Although Yorkshire might then start feeding them some runs as an incentive to declare.
    44-2 off 24 overs suggests to me that Middlesex are going to invite Yorkshire to feed them some runs tomorrow. Difference of £88K between 2nd and 3rd is incidental to both counties but, perhaps, the only way Middlesex are going to be interested in going for it is if they are offered some sort of run incentive by Yorkshire.

I spy with my little eye on the captains at lunchtime.
  • Options
    So Somerset have won... what are the scenarios?

Middlesex win, Middlesex's title?
    Draw, Somerset's title?
    Yorkshire win, Yorkshire's title?

Is it as straightforward as that?
  • Options

So Somerset have won... what are the scenarios?

Middlesex win, Middlesex's title?
    Draw, Somerset's title?
    Yorkshire win, Yorkshire's title?

Is it as straightforward as that?

I believe that is exactly it
  • Options
    I'm almost tempted to go along tomorrow. £5 entrance and there's a Marston's beer festival going on too!
  • Options
    https://www.lords.org/news/2016-2/september/mcc-statement-on-floodlight-use/

No floodlights in use for the game, which explains why they went off for bad light
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Four sessions to complete another two innings?

Well if Yorkshire can get a lead of 130-150 say, then winning by an innings is their only hope. I can't see Middlesex winning now
    Difference of £88K between 2nd and 3rd is incidental to both counties
    The £88K is the players' pot. The counties get a different amount.

http://www.ecb.co.uk/sites/default/files/prize_money_for_domestic_matches_and_competitions.pdf
  • Options
    Chris Rogers has retired from all forms of professional cricket - hence his desire to reach that hundred.
  • Options
    81-2 at close and still 39 behind. 96 overs tomorrow all being well. The County Championship could go well into the final session.

It's the wife's birthday and I've promised to take her out for the day. Might be a short day as I can feel a migraine coming on........
  • Options
    Cmon Middx - you can do it !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gubbins is having a good game then !
  • Options

Chris Rogers has retired from all forms of professional cricket - hence his desire to reach that hundred.

And as it turned out, Notts slumped pathetically with a day to spare!
  • Options
    i am certainly disgusted with Notts - how could you field such a 'B' side?
  • Options
    Like I said earlier, it wasn't a B-side, and the one debutant top-scored in the second innings
  • Options
    The sad truth about Notts is that they've BEEN a B-side all season
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Like I said earlier, it wasn't a B-side, and the one debutant top-scored in the second innings

Billy Root , with 66.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Billy Root , with 66.
    We are getting to the root of the matter now
  • Options
    Next off the list will be beet root
  • Options

Leuth said:

Billy Root , with 66.
    We are getting to the root of the matter now
    Are you going via Root 66.?
  • Options
    Middlesex now 1 run ahead, but virtually impossible for either side to get a result now unless there's a horrendous collapse