Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

County Championship 2016

Comments

• Options

Middlesex now 1 run ahead, but virtually impossible for either side to get a result now unless there's a horrendous collapse

At some point Middlesex will declare with a tempting target for Yorkshire. That is if Yorkshire don't run through them.

I don't think both sides will happily play out a draw. They will both be desperate to win the Championship.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Middlesex now 1 run ahead, but virtually impossible for either side to get a result now unless there's a horrendous collapse

At some point Middlesex will declare with a tempting target for Yorkshire. That is if Yorkshire don't run through them.

I don't think both sides will happily play out a draw. They will both be desperate to win the Championship.
    But as someone pointed out yesterday, coming 2nd is worth a lot more in prize money than third, and a draw gets Middx second place, so (if they can't win it) why declare?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Ben18 said:

But as someone pointed out yesterday, coming 2nd is worth a lot more in prize money than third, and a draw gets Middx second place, so (if they can't win it) why declare?
    But if they got 200 ahead, with 20/25 overs left. Yorkshire would have to have a go, and could end up giving away all of their wickets.
  • Options

Next off the list will be beet root

On that note....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/577060.html
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yorkshire appear to have come to an agreement with Middx.
    Lyth has come on to bowl and let Middx have 22 from the over.
    Middx now lead by 141.

The crowd are booing (both of them).
  • Options
    Would be fuming if I was a Somerset fan.
  • Options
    Middx declare at 359-6

Yorkshire need 240 to win off 40 overs.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Wow, Yorkshire have got the better of that deal haven't they?
  • Options

Don't they both need a win though to win the championship?

A run a ball isn't so much in T 20 but still seems a decent target otherwise whatever the format.

I think it will be a potentially exciting finish to the season for the neutral and nailbiting for the committed fans of Middlesex, Somerset and Yorkshire!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Don't they both need a win though to win the championship?

A run a ball isn't so much in T 20 but still seems a decent target otherwise whatever the format.

I think it will be a potentially exciting finish to the season for the neutral and nailbiting for the committed fans of Middlesex, Somerset and Yorkshire!
    Yeh they do, and no doubt it's going to be thrilling. Just think that target seems to favour Yorkshire a bit more. Time will tell I guess. Off to a good start - 21-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The target massively favours Yorkshire and I'd be surprised if they don't win quite comfortably.

27-0 5.4 overs.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    As anticipated, 27-1 5.5 overs.

Lyth out, Willey in.
  • Options
    Target would seem to favour Yorkshire, but they're not off to a great start, trundling along at just over 4 an over when they needed a run a ball. Now lost a wicket and required rate has climbed to over 6.4.
  • Options
    240 off 40 on a day four pitch (although a good one), with no fielding restrictions and no one day bowling restrictions (eg. leg side wides) is not as easy as it seems.
  • Options
    39-2 10.3 overs.
  • Options
    48-3

Willey in and now Willey out.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Here's a question - is there a point at which Yorkshire will accept that they cannot win the game and therefore the title? If the answer is "no" then Somerset cannot win the title whereas at any other time Yorkshire would be doing their best to draw if they can't win the game.
  • Options
    Yorkshire can still believe they can win and just fall short but not be bowled out.
    Somersets title
  • Options
    Whether Yorkshire win the title or not is mainly dependent on what I say next.

If I say they'll still do it, they'll be all out by 5pm.

If I say Middx have it in the bag, Yorks will win by 7 wickets :smile:
  • Options
    It will be interesting what Yorkshire do if they're down to their last 2 or 3 batsmen with the run rate at 12 an over. Go for it, as they can't finish lower than 3rd, or preserve dignity and get the draw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Yorkshire can still believe they can win and just fall short but not be bowled out.
    Somersets title

Indeed - but they will be throwing the kitchen sink at everything in order to get to that target and consequently will either lose all their wickets or get there. So why are Somerset currently favourites?
  • Options

It will be interesting what Yorkshire do if they're down to their last 2 or 3 batsmen with the run rate at 12 an over. Go for it, as they can't finish lower than 3rd, or preserve dignity and get the draw

Which I suppose I was trying to say - that the draw and "dignity" aren't part of this particular game.
  • Options
    Dignity went out of the window when Lees and Lyth were bowling
  • Options
    Ballance is now going to disprove everything I might previously said about him and make a match winning score. I'm not going to bet on it though.
  • Options
    Don't worry, Ballance's strike rate will hit 150 and steer them home.
  • Options

Ballance is now going to disprove everything I might previously said about him and make a match winning score. I'm not going to bet on it though.

MrOneLung said:

Don't worry, Ballance's strike rate will hit 150 and steer them home.

Great minds ;-)
  • Options
    Required rate up to 7.4, 170 needed off 23. Not sure what the rules are, but it's saying minimum of 23 overs to play, so if either team is in with a chance of victory can they claim an extra half an hour? Light permitting of course.
  • Options
    Not on the last day.

Sam Northeast going mental btw
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Leuth said:

Not on the last day.

Bloody hell, 178no at just over a run a ball!

Just noticed he took 30 (THIRTY) off a single Velani over (6,4,6,6,4,4)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Not on the last day.

Didn't know he was a big Somerset fan.