Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe vs Charlton: Post match views

Comments

• Options

Just got in the pub after the game.

Looked very solid with 5 in midfield with look man very lively in first half.

The 5 in midfield meant we was not as over run as we ended Saturday's game but looked a bit toothless up front, although we did have a few half chances.

BFG looked very solid and having him back will be massive.

Starting to get a bit concerned slade is not bring pro active with subs but he may have been happy with a point.

Shame about the 60 odd year old Cafc fan that had to resort to grappling another fan round the throat, pathetic really

did you fight back??
  • Options
    We are where we are so a point away at the league leaders is good. What a shame we threw it away on Saturday. If by some miracle we can nick a win at Oxford then 4 points from a home game and two away won't look so bad.

It's absurdly early in the season to say this really but we've already played 3 of the top 7 away from home in our first 8 games. Maybe just maybe things will get easier and we will win a few.
  • Options
    Well, Latrien must be kicking herself that she missed this one...

Thankyou regime.
  • Options
    Don't understand why if going 4-5-1 we didn't start Botaka. Having Magennis on his own, Lookman wide and a million one paced defensive midfielders making up the difference is insane. With no Holmes we needed a bit more impetus and Slade bottled it. I don't understand half the stuff he does most of the time. Three in the middle and two pacey wingers might have seen us through but a midfield including Crofts, Jackson, Foley and Ulvestad is a little short of soul destroying. Bringing on Botaka 5 mins from the end is just bizarre. I think Slade decided not to lose this one, which is troubling considering we're not quite at the stage where we're playing Barcelona. Shutting up shop against Scunthorpe is not something to get the blood pumping
  • Options
    Been out all evening and just finished reading the thread in ignorance of the score (always gripping, as you brace yourself for the late goal...). Thanks to Red, Paddy, Seth and others for all the updates.

On any view, this looks like a good point against a team bang in form, in addition to which, a clean sheet is exactly what was required after conceding four in the last two games.

Looking at our record against Scunny, I don't think we should be too sniffy about the result - we've only beaten them away once in our history (in 1973) and I see that we lost 6-1 up there in the early 60s. I also still have bad memories of Yassin Moutakill's miskick when we lost 1-0 under Pardew in 1998.

It looks like there are some positives to take from the game and well done indeed to the travelling faithful (be they 70, 89 or 90 in number).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Son told me about the incident and said the older guy was having a ruck with a young guy who was swearing. Then my son said all he heard was the old man swearing at him if he didn't stop swearing.

It was weird and to be honest the older guy did himself no favours, if they other bloke had punched him could of had no complaints after acting like a twat
    And there were people thinking they were going to have a quiet night in Scunthorpe!
  • Options
    Quite depressing when we're going to Scunthorpe and playing for a draw. Top six budget.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Good point... just seen Makienok has scored twice for Preston!!

Hardly surprising. He has goals in him as per his record pre-charlton.
  • Options
    I think it's a good draw.

What pisses me off is the fact we are in a place where we think it's a a good draw rather than a disappointing one.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:
    Nutters on there:
    Admin I’d agree Charlton are the best side I’ve seen home or away (and I’ve seen them all) aside from Bristol City in the cup. They will be thereabouts if they can put the chances away when they fall. Really well organised & when they had to got everyone behind the ball to make it really difficult for us. I’m afraid we are probably going to see that more often as the season progresses.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Quite depressing when we're going to Scunthorpe and playing for a draw. Top six budget.

Don't get too down it's the home games we have to win as long as we don't lose away an average of 4 points every 2 games = 92, we are 6 points adrift so 86 is the revised target if we can't make up the shortfall and should give us a chance of a top 6 slot even allowing for further reverses and the bonus of a few away wins.

My haul is 5 points from three away games so I'm doing my bit :wink: .The Valley needs to become a fortress where we take it to teams and show them no mercy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well, Latrien must be kicking herself that she missed this one...

Thankyou regime.

If she tried to kick herself she's miss
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Don't get too down it's the home games we have to win as long as don't lose away an average of 4 points every 2 games = 92, we are 10 points adrift so 82 is still acceptable and should give a chance of a top 6 slot even allowing for further reverses and a few away wins.

The Valley needs to become a fortress where we take it to teams and show them no mercy!
    Agree, but it's not been a fortress for a long time and the evidence of this season so far is that it's not about to either. Let's hope.
  • Options

Just got in the pub after the game.

Looked very solid with 5 in midfield with look man very lively in first half.

The 5 in midfield meant we was not as over run as we ended Saturday's game but looked a bit toothless up front, although we did have a few half chances.

BFG looked very solid and having him back will be massive.

Starting to get a bit concerned slade is not bring pro active with subs but he may have been happy with a point.

Shame about the 60 odd year old Cafc fan that had to resort to grappling another fan round the throat, pathetic really

did you fight back??
    Lol was not me mate
  • Options

At the match. Slade set up for the draw and he got it. Scunthorpe started really well, played the ball around nicely for the first 20 minutes. I thought it was going to be a miserable evening. But Charlton grew throughout the match and were fairly dominant by the end.

You felt that if Slade had maybe changed it up earlier, Scunthorpe were there for the taking, equally, the team were playing well. Maybe Ulvestad and Foley were a bit anonymous and candidates to come off. Saying all that, I would have taken 0-0 before the match, Scunthorpe are a decent team and have been scoring for fun lately.

Defensively we were very solid, but we lacked any creativity going forward. Often resorting to pumping it to a very isolated Magennis. He won a lot a battles but actually impressed me with his feet. He seems to have great awareness of bringing a player into the attack with a pass into space. Think we are going to struggle a bit in that area again this year, it is the same problem as last year. Lookman was quality, Scunthorpe just couldn't handle him. Good to see the BFG back. Thought crofts was very tidy and cleaned up a few potential dangerous moments.

As to the incident, both were clearly inebriated and the younger guy had been swearing all match. I agree the older gent did himself no favours, but the younger guy went for him first, trying to leap over seats including a kid no older than ten a couple of rows down, after being told to shut up in the most ironic fashion. The police should have done more the first time it kicked off, as it was clearly going to be words at the end again.

I was right next to it the younger guy only went for him once he had been grabbed round the throat.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10586760/scunthorpe-0-0-charlton

Just Charlton attacking moves on these highlights. Not sure what happened to the Scunthorpe chances. Only one Scunthorpe forward running into a Charlton defender and waving his arms for a penalty, whilst the play went on around him.

Didn't quite happen for the strikers. Cross to Magennis too high, Ulvestad got a shot on target but no power behind it, but at least he got a bit further up the pitch. Botaka shoots over but did have a defender in attendance. Jackson's free kick drifted rightwards, if it was on target to right of the goal the goalkeeper would have been no where near saving it.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    its taking them chances AGAIN;

if charlton had won 0-3 it would not have been over the top.
    we had no speed or creativity.
    a turgid performance from the iron tonight.

got a prolific league 1 scorer(im aware he didnt play last night) and still cant hit a cows ass with a banjo
  • Options
    I think the evolution will be to a 4-3-3. The midfield needs an extra man in it. I believe we have the best defensive players and best attacking players (overall) in the league so we will clearly be going upwards rather than downwards. I think we will make the play offs minimum, but if we achieve promotion (and that is not certain) we would only be where we were last season having lost some quality players.
  • Options

A decent point. I don't know how much the clean sheet is down to Bauer, or whether it's down to the more defensive/negative midfield in front of the defence

both .. especially> Bauer looks to have given the back four more confidence .. Konsa is promising but his colleagues always seemed to be a bit too keen to help him out and cover for him
  • Options
    Good hard working display against a team full of confidence, shame we didn't find a goal to cap off the night, shit journey home though.
  • Options
    vff said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10586760/scunthorpe-0-0-charlton

Just Charlton attacking moves on these highlights. Not sure what happened to the Scunthorpe chances. Only one Scunthorpe forward running into a Charlton defender and speculatively claiming for a penalty.

Didn't quite happen for the strikers. Cross to Magennis too high, Ulvestad got a shot on target but no power behind it, but at least he got a bit further up the pitch. Botaka shoots over but did have a defender in attendance. Jackson's free kick drifted rightwards, if it was on target to right of the goal the goalkeeper would have been no where near saving it.

Damn that really was a chance from Botaka.

One thing I will say in Ulvestad's defence with his chance was that he didnt seem to get a good connection on the ball (rather than putting no power behind it), reckon had he made proper contact that may have gone in