Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scunthorpe vs Charlton: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    As thing's stand we are currently 14th in the league nothing to get excited about that.
    Our next three games all look winnable to me Oxford away followed by two home games.
    Win those three matches and we Will be right up there. Having said that how many times in the last couple of seasons have we had back to back home games and not taken six points.
    Hears hoping things change in the meantime.

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB
  • Options
    Not sure what Botaka has to do to start a game ? When he came on he changed the dynamics of the team, (again as he did at Fleetwood) running at their left back cutting inside. Should have hit the target when he broke thru tho. Maybe if we start with him, we might get off to a better start, crazy decision as Holmes not playing!! Lookman and Josh both had good games, as did BFG and Pearce. Too many players guilty of giving the ball away on a number of occasions when under no pressure at all. Freddy U looked lively. Would have settled for a point before the game given previous games for both sides but reflecting on the way home, a bit more courage from RS and we may have bagged a precious win.

Thank you to the organisers of cone distribution on the M25 for deciding to make it as difficult as possible to join it. Unnecessary, H&S gone mad, added 45 minutes to our journey..
  • Options
    E-cafc said:
    good to see others viewing us positively
  • Options
    what a miss from botaka. would of almost certainly won the game, really should be getting it on target from there, maybe should get a start?
  • Options
    Unless we can sort out hitting the back of the net regularly we will struggle to get into the top six. Lack of goals is looking like the big problem for us this season.
  • Options
    Was expecting the Botaka chance to be a lot more clear cut after reading the comments on here. It was a scoring opportunity but hardly the easiest.
  • Options
    Not a bad result at all when taken in isolation. Clean sheet and a point against top of the table. The problem is previous results haven't been good enough.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016

vff said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10586760/scunthorpe-0-0-charlton

Just Charlton attacking moves on these highlights. Not sure what happened to the Scunthorpe chances. Only one Scunthorpe forward running into a Charlton defender and speculatively claiming for a penalty.

Didn't quite happen for the strikers. Cross to Magennis too high, Ulvestad got a shot on target but no power behind it, but at least he got a bit further up the pitch. Botaka shoots over but did have a defender in attendance. Jackson's free kick drifted rightwards, if it was on target to right of the goal the goalkeeper would have been no where near saving it.

Damn that really was a chance from Botaka.

One thing I will say in Ulvestad's defence with his chance was that he didnt seem to get a good connection on the ball (rather than putting no power behind it), reckon had he made proper contact that may have gone in
    Nice bit of skill from Botaka to take it from right to left foot to give himself a bit of space to shoot. To be generous, he is right footed, shot was on his left foot and the ball sat up a bit. Looking at highlights again, Magennis header is slightly mistimed and the goalkeeper may have got to Jackson's free kick as he was pretty quick accross the goal to cover. For Ulvestad's shot the volley needs to be caught just right, and he didn't quite manage that. Its not an easy skill to manage but looks great when it does work.
  • Options
    Trying to remember a volley from Paolo Di Canio that flew in that was very similar to the only one I can find on You Tube was for WHU vs Wimbledon. Pretty sure it was a home goal by Di Canio though I remember a few good goals from Darren Bent.
  • Options
    having seen Botaka at Fleetwood and from what people have said of his cameo last night let's hope Slade gives him more time on the field so he can really show what he can achieve.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

having seen Botaka at Fleetwood and from what people have said of his cameo last night let's hope Slade gives him more time on the field so he can really show what he can achieve.

Why we wasn't brought on against Wimbledon is baffling
  • Options

Why we wasn't brought on against Wimbledon is baffling
    You could say... Well he was being rested for Scunthorpe

Yet seeing he only came on in the 85th minute it doesnt explain it, can we ask Slade the reasoning behind his subs sometime?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Scunny play the Blades this weekend .. I'll be in Oxford otherwise I'd be at Glanford Pk to have a butchers at two of our potential promotion rivals go at it ...
  • Options

Millwall are going to destroy us.

They might beat us, but they won't destroy us. I'd be surprised if any side beats us by more than the 2 goals which Bury did on the opening day.
    The worry is that a lot of teams will beat us by one goal as we have trouble scoring ourselves.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

At the match. Slade set up for the draw and he got it. Scunthorpe started really well, played the ball around nicely for the first 20 minutes. I thought it was going to be a miserable evening. But Charlton grew throughout the match and were fairly dominant by the end.

You felt that if Slade had maybe changed it up earlier, Scunthorpe were there for the taking, equally, the team were playing well. Maybe Ulvestad and Foley were a bit anonymous and candidates to come off. Saying all that, I would have taken 0-0 before the match, Scunthorpe are a decent team and have been scoring for fun lately.

Defensively we were very solid, but we lacked any creativity going forward. Often resorting to pumping it to a very isolated Magennis. He won a lot a battles but actually impressed me with his feet. He seems to have great awareness of bringing a player into the attack with a pass into space. Think we are going to struggle a bit in that area again this year, it is the same problem as last year. Lookman was quality, Scunthorpe just couldn't handle him. Good to see the BFG back. Thought crofts was very tidy and cleaned up a few potential dangerous moments.

As to the incident, both were clearly inebriated and the younger guy had been swearing all match. I agree the older gent did himself no favours, but the younger guy went for him first, trying to leap over seats including a kid no older than ten a couple of rows down, after being told to shut up in the most ironic fashion. The police should have done more the first time it kicked off, as it was clearly going to be words at the end again.

I was right next to it the younger guy only went for him once he had been grabbed round the throat.

He grabbed him round the throat at the end. The younger guy went for him 20 minutes earlier just before the police came up to have a word the first time. If you were right next to him you wold have seen the little boy and less than pleased father as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I'm pleased that another team's supporters are speaking well of our side. I think we're likelier to get a true picture of how good a League One team Slade and company have assembled from non-Charlton fans this season.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm pleased that another team's supporters are speaking well of our side. I think we're likelier to get a true picture of how good a League One team Slade and company have assembled from non-Charlton fans this season.

Bull. We'll only get a true reflection based on results and the table and so far we're 14th (Old Third Division), so I think the general reaction is about right. You just don't want to hear it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

I remember non-Charlton fans in 2011/12 calling us ugly, time wasting, spoilers, one dimensional, turgid, slow and lucky....mind you that might just be bitterness from Chef Wendy fans
  • Options

I think he could be good. his 10 minutes at home to Northampton where he played his first game for us and had one or two touches that went astray seemed to spark a chorus of people on here immediately deeming him not good enough
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    cabbles said:

I think he could be good. his 10 minutes at home to Northampton where he played his first game for us and had one or two touches that went astray seemed to spark a chorus of people on here immediately deeming him not good enough
    Back then Botaka had only been at the club 5 minutes and probably didn't know anyone's names, let alone the playing system.

Recently, he's had those 2 cameo appearances in the last 10 minutes and in both games opponents haven't been able to handle him.
    He played a huge part in our last gasp equaliser at Fleetwood. And last night at Scunny, earned the free kick that Jacko put against the post, as well as creating the chance for himself that he'll know he should have scored from.

No shortage of attacking midfield creativity there, as we have seen.
    Should Holmes not be fit, surely he's ready now to play a longer part in matches?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The whole last 12 months or with the protests have made it very difficult for a lot of CAFC fans to make any kind of objective assessment of on-pitch happenings and the team.

We are only eight or nine games into a long season so it will be mid-Oct before a reasonable assessment can be made of the start and I'm pretty confident we'll be in the top eight at least by then - just need our strikers to start putting some chances away
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

cabbles said:

Back then Botaka had only been at the club 5 minutes and probably didn't know anyone's names, let alone the playing system.

Recently, he's had those 2 cameo appearances in the last 10 minutes and in both games opponents haven't been able to handle him.
    He played a huge part in our last gasp equaliser at Fleetwood. And last night at Scunny, earned the free kick that Jacko put against the post, as well as creating the chance for himself that he'll know he should have scored from.

No shortage of attacking midfield creativity there, as we have seen.
    Should Holmes not be fit, surely he's ready now to play a longer part in matches?
    And that eye catching performance for his country
  • Options
    After his debut, people were wondering if Botaka was actually a footballer or if he'd just won a competition to play
  • Options
    ---------------------Rudd
    Solly ------ BFG ---- Pearce ---- Fox
    --------Ulverston - Jacko
    Botany ------ Holmes ---- Lookman
    ------------Maggenis/Ajose

Next game please
  • Options
    All I know is that he was unplayable when he came on at Fleetwood and he seems to have made an impact in little time yesterday. If I was Slade, I would be looking to give him more than 5 or 10 minutes in our next match.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

---------------------Rudd
    Solly ------ BFG ---- Pearce ---- Fox
    --------Ulverston - Jacko
    Botany ------ Holmes ---- Lookman
    ------------Maggenis/Ajose

Next game please

Sure Botany can plant a few agricultural challenges...
  • Options
    Unfortunately a two man midfield just exposes us.