Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10592109/oxford-1-1-charlton

Sparse highlights. Jackson enjoyed scoring the goal. Difficult to see as the build up is not shown but the Oxford striker had a lot of space for his goal.
  • Options
    Didn't go ... 50% mid table mediocrity 50% Relegation looms
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Squad is as good as any in this division. 16th is appalling.

It's a very tight table though.

Charlton may be only 3 points from a relegation place - but only 3 points from the play offs.

It's too early in the season to mean anything.

Two wins in nine with arguably the best squad in the division isn't great though Oggy is it ?

It isn't - that's obvious - but in mitigation he had little or no pre season as players came in so late.

If people want to start casting judgement after the next two home games that's fine but I think waiting till then is the fairest option

• Options
    Rudd
    Solly Teixeira Bauer Fox
    Holmes Ulvestad Jackson Lookman
    Magennis Ajose

Is the team we should be playing, take it to every team we play, we might lose the odd game 2-1 or 3-2 but we'll stuff a couple of teams too. To play a negative 451 twice in a row, it's stupid.

Crofts and Foley are not promotion players, they are plodding cloggers who won't win us games, but don't provide the defence with any protection either, so what's the fucking point?
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Oggy Red said:

cabbies

Yet again we fail to close out match after taking the lead.

Rusty tactically naïve (again) today?

We got caught badly on the break ..... that's down to players' own discipline when committing to attack, and the need to keep the team shape once that move breaks down.

Even Slade can't be blamed for that.
    And I don't suppose he was too impressed himself!

He and his players knew that Oxford were good in the counter and played that way often, so yes he can be blamed!

Failure to have a full game plan and plan b , as well as sticking to even the basics of concentrating on the scouting reports to nullify your opponent!
    He did have a game plan though.
    The same game plan that many are criticising as too negative.

But it seems evident that the team shape was lost when one of Charlton's attacks broke down - and Oxford sharply counter-attacked and equalised.
    I doubt players losing positional discipline and team shape was part of Slade's game plan.

• Options

mogodon said:

The writing was on the wall in the summer. The recruitment was nowhere near good enough.

What we need is a 20-something computer geek with dodgy hair and no idea about football to advise us on recruitment.
    are you certain that this is not the case right now ? ..
    I could be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that a "Whoosh!" may be heading in your direction.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Rudd
    Solly Teixeira Bauer Fox
    Magennis Ajose

Is the team we should be playing, take it to every team we play, we might lose the odd game 2-1 or 3-2 but we'll stuff a couple of teams too. To play a negative 451 twice in a row, it's stupid.

Crofts and Foley are not promotion players, they are plodding cloggers who won't win us games, but don't provide the defence with any protection either, so what's the fucking point?

Novak for Ajose. Not convinced Jackson can play in the middle in a 442
  • Options
    vff said:

Charlton team is an incomplete team, this season's flaw is an anonymous midfield lacking in creativity and energy. Slade may be not be up to much, but he is hamstrung alongside every other head coach under Duchatelet & Meire that has attempted to manage / coach Charlton. Until Duchatatelet and Meire bother to support the manager with a balanced team, Charlton will struggle. Until the midfield is sorted, Charlton will find it difficult troubling the top 6 places.

There should be enough creativity between Holmes, Lookman and Ulvestad.
    sam3110 said:

Rudd
    Solly Teixeira Bauer Fox
    Magennis Ajose

We've conceded once in two games, it's scoring goals that is the problem.
  • Options
    vff said:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10592109/oxford-1-1-charlton

Sparse highlights. Jackson enjoyed scoring the goal. Difficult to see as the build up is not shown but the Oxford striker had a lot of space for his goal.

Good 1st time finish by the Oxford lad, very well taken - but we'd completely lost shape. In the video their player was quickly moving clear of our last central defender and you can see Morgan Fox desperately trying to get back.
    The defence should never have allowed themselves to be exposed like that.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another typical league 1 game I thought, got well and truly caught upfield chasing a second goal, but it's a long old season and I expect us to improve.
  • Options
    Absolute nightmare getting a cab back in to town afterwards as well.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

vff said:

Charlton team is an incomplete team, this season's flaw is an anonymous midfield lacking in creativity and energy. Slade may be not be up to much, but he is hamstrung alongside every other head coach under Duchatelet & Meire that has attempted to manage / coach Charlton. Until Duchatatelet and Meire bother to support the manager with a balanced team, Charlton will struggle. Until the midfield is sorted, Charlton will find it difficult troubling the top 6 places.

There should be enough creativity between Holmes, Lookman and Ulvestad.
    sam3110 said:

Rudd
    Solly Teixeira Bauer Fox
    Magennis Ajose

We've conceded once in two games, it's CREATING CHANCES that is the problem.
    Based on today
  • Options
    At London Bridge. No change in opinion. Absolute crap.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

The writing was on the wall in the summer. The recruitment was nowhere near good enough.

What we need is a 20-something computer geek with dodgy hair and no idea about football to advise us on recruitment.
    I wouldn't put it past Duchatelet to make Driesen our next manager now we've uncovered him! He really couldn't give a toss about us and will simply do whatever he likes irrespective of the likely consequences.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

_MrDick said:

Didn't go ... 50% mid table mediocrity 50% Relegation looms

Hang on. We already have someone who does percentages for us. We don't need any more fault lines in the support.
    I'm his assistant and when he's away I deputise
  • Options
    No point in panicking just yet but if we don't beat Oldham then pressure mounts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't go today (thanks retail work) but observing from the outside the problem we've got is that there's too many draws.

If you'd have told me we'd have lost twice in the first nine games then I would've taken it. The problem is that there's only two wins.

We need that one key central midfield player who can open up a League One defence with a pass or a bit of skill. In 11/12 we had two (Stephens & Yann), this year we haven't got anything close to either of those two.
  • Options
    If anybody needs to see why Slade has won fuck all- this was the game.
  • Options
    Echo the thoughts of most that we were far too defensive with little attacking nous. Even but unspectacular first half, one outstanding save by Rudd. Second half slightly better, blatant penalty, couldn't understand bringing Lookman off for Holmes, why not play both? Goal for them felt inevitable but Magennis really should have scored the header, worldy of a save by their keeper. Telling that the loudest chants all day were the multiple renditions of 'Just Sell The Club' and 'We Want Roland Out'.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Recent L1 stats after 9 games:
    26/9/2009 L1 Parky Posn. 2nd Pts. 23 (finished 4th)
    28/9/2010 L1 Parky Posn. 7th Pts. 15 (13th)
    24/9/2011 L1 Powell Posn. 1st Pts. 23 (with a game in hand; champions)
    24/9/2016 L1 Slade Posn. 16th Pts. 11 (your guess)

First 4 games: 7 pts,
    last 5 games 4 pts, winless ( =upward curve).

60th in the league pyramid, a mere 53 places behind Palace.

Oxford Utd - Charlton
    Possession % 54 46
    Total shots 14 8
    On target 9 5
    Off target 4 2
    Blocked 1 1
    Corners 5 9

Goalkeeping
    Saves 4 8

Discipline
    Fouls Committed 5 8
    Fouls Won 8 4
    Yellow Cards 2 0
    Red Cards 0 1 (two yellows, I believe)

(Match stats from Sky Sports)
  • Options
    Is this where I get to say I predicted 1-1?
    Thanks very much.

We need flair. We need to do the unexpected. Like actually playing Botaka from the start.
  • Options
    We didn't play that badly - just an inability to create any chances and Magennis had zero support. As someone else said Slade clearly has no Plan B - he must be one of the most stodgy/negative managers out there - the reason he has won nothing is clear for all to see and we obviously will be season 23 of non-performance under his stewardship - how the fuck he has remained in work I havnt the slightest idea- why the negativity the whole bloody game ? - Oxford were shit and quite clearly there for the taking.
    Support was brilliant and total opposite from what I experienced v Wimbledon.
  • Options

We didn't play that badly - just an inability to create any chances and Magennis had zero support. As someone else said Slade clearly has no Plan B - he must be one of the most stodgy/negative managers out there - the reason he has won nothing is clear for all to see and we obviously will be season 23 of non-performance under his stewardship - how the fuck he has remained in work I havnt the slightest idea- why the negativity the whole bloody game ? - Oxford were shit and quite clearly there for the taking.
    Support was brilliant and total opposite from what I experienced v Wimbledon.

This will be pretty much the case for every team we play, it's a terrible division.
  • Options
    Sounds like more of the same, but talk of binning Slade is premature in my opinion.

I went to watch Dover v Lincoln today. Call it a bit of advance scouting for next season.