Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton - Post Match Views

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Just watched Slade's after match interview, and i just cant get that he's Charlton ? - cant explain it , but he just doesnt feel Charlton !?

he's a 'professional manager' .. owes allegiance to who pays his wages .. we've been fortunate to have had Powell and Lord Curbishley, real Addicks .. not too many of that calibre around unfortunately
    To be fair Curbs was known as that West Ham guy when he took over at first, he only became "a real Addick" through success and the way he ran the club
    Curbs ....... He was the best manager of my lifetime but he was supported but a hands on, ambitious Chairman and a dynamic and focused CEO. Since Curbs left we haven't really had any of the three vital ingredients for success at the same time, so shouldn't be too surprised we have had no success - Sir Chris Powell's promotion season apart when Kevin Cash's money funded it.
    Bang on. Promotion that year didn't happen by accident.

Whatever people think of the "2 Spivs", they sat down with Powell and together formed a plan to rebuild the team.
    They were solidly behind Powell and backed him all the way.

As with Curbs/Murray/Varney, it just goes to show what can be achieved when all the factions in a club work together.

Very, very long way from the truth, I'm afraid. But they did appoint Powell and they did let him do the job.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Oggy Red said:

Just watched Slade's after match interview, and i just cant get that he's Charlton ? - cant explain it , but he just doesnt feel Charlton !?

he's a 'professional manager' .. owes allegiance to who pays his wages .. we've been fortunate to have had Powell and Lord Curbishley, real Addicks .. not too many of that calibre around unfortunately
    To be fair Curbs was known as that West Ham guy when he took over at first, he only became "a real Addick" through success and the way he ran the club
    Curbs ....... He was the best manager of my lifetime but he was supported but a hands on, ambitious Chairman and a dynamic and focused CEO. Since Curbs left we haven't really had any of the three vital ingredients for success at the same time, so shouldn't be too surprised we have had no success - Sir Chris Powell's promotion season apart when Kevin Cash's money funded it.

Whatever people think of the "2 Spivs", they sat down with Powell and together formed a plan to rebuild the team.

As with Curbs/Murray/Varney, it just goes to show what can be achieved when all the factions in a club work together.

Very, very long way from the truth, I'm afraid. But they did appoint Powell and they did let him do the job.
    Fair enough, Airman.

Talking specifically about the promotion season and it's preparation.
    What was the truth then?

• Options
    Michael Slater was a true fan ?

Of Man city and did a great rendition of blue moon.

He was city till he dies and nearly did after that altercation with the police on that foreign trip.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Fair enough, Airman.

Talking specifically about the promotion season and it's preparation.
    What was the truth then?

The truth is that Jimenez was a consistent critic of Powell and kept threatening to sack him, including before, during and after the 2011/12 season. The extensive preparation for the season was done from March onwards by a group including Varney, Peacock, Chapple, Dyer and Powell. I doubt if Michael Slater could have named the players if they'd been in a room with him.
    Cynically put, Airman.

No argument from me!

• Options

Maybe because there is rebellion in the air that gives the anything-goes brigade the mistaken idea they can do whatever they like. That, btw, is not to say that the protest songs and chants are wrong, only that the OTT crowd should show a bit of self-restraint (asking a lot, I know).

Without doubt the stewarding was officious and perhaps a little nervous to see such a large away contingent, and matters weren't helped by the congestion due to the use of a single exit. Definitely something they should look at before the next invasion.
  • Options

Maybe because there is rebellion in the air that gives the anything-goes brigade the mistaken idea they can do whatever they like. That, btw, is not to say that the protest songs and chants are wrong, only that the OTT crowd should show a bit of self-restraint (asking a lot, I know).

Without doubt the stewarding was officious and perhaps a little nervous to see such a large away contingent, and matters weren't helped by the congestion due to the use of a single exit. Definitely something they should look at before the next invasion.

Don't think our support would make them nervous tbf. They will have seen a heck of a lot worst inc Swindon the weeks before.
  • Options

but Curbishley had played for CAFC, started his managerial career with us, I would go so far as to say grew into manhood at CAFC .. the fact that West Ham was the club of his boyhood dreams is really irrelevant, he's from West Ham, what do you expect ? ..
    I don't think we'll ever get a man like him in charge ever again .. 15 years in charge ? .. will NEVER happen again ..
    Slade is typical of the new breed: dedicated, knowledgeable, hard working but passionless .. it's essentially just a job to him and increasingly this also applies to most players

Back in 1995, when Murray ended the joint bosses arrangement, a lot of people were very upset that Gritt was removed, as he was "proper Charlton" whereas at the time, Curbs had the respect but not the love of the Charlton fans. That only really happened for him when he was successful by himself
  • Options
    HandG said:

25May98 said:

cafc4life said:

Too many young blokes,3/4 crammed into the seat of 1, acting like cocks, looking for a row with anyone that will respond to them, Fully grown men arguing amongst themselves, one preaching CARD bollocks to another moaning about fans singing Roland Out songs.Blokes Chucking full bottles of beer when we score a penalty against OXFORD soaking anyone and everyone in front of them.

Another looked off his nut on gear smashing his seat up as the fulltime whistle went screaming we are a disgrace etc etc etc.

Some proper nuggets about.

Happens at every game, in every football ground, every week up and down the country. But 70%? Not with Charlton.
    Maybe not 70% but definitely a much higher % than five or ten years ago.
    It very much depends on the match. Fleetwood went without any aggro at all, indeed without much noise from the away end either!

I can think back to 3rd tier matches under Parky when things got a bit nasty, one at Walsall stands out as they were behind me and picked out my the police afterwards as they had been investing issues in our away support
  • Options
    I questioned the OTT searches pre match. Was told by one of the supervisors that Oxford's had been informed upto 300 tickets had changed hands. Tbh there did seem to be a much higher percentage of idiots than usual.

Had a bit of a row with the blokes next to me. I go with my son and whilst I appreciate standing, swearing and passion are part of an away day, the excessive and unnecessary use of the C word is not acceptable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad i had Row CC seat 209 right in the corner...no trouble there....thought the stewards were a bit zealous but were friendly....a few charlton fans got thrown out at half time...anyone know why...though they did look pissed.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I questioned the OTT searches pre match. Was told by one of the supervisors that Oxford's had been informed upto 300 tickets had changed hands. Tbh there did seem to be a much higher percentage of idiots than usual.

Had a bit of a row with the blokes next to me. I go with my son and whilst I appreciate standing, swearing and passion are part of an away day, the excessive and unnecessary use of the C word is not acceptable.

What does this mean ? 300 "nice" guys, passed on/sold their tickets to 300 bastards ?
  • Options
    Next protest away day will be Gillingham, absolute certainty.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

What does this mean ? 300 "nice" guys, passed on/sold their tickets to 300 bastards ?
    No idea, just what I was told in passing. Not sure where this info comes from but at all away games I've been to this season, the policing and stewarding seemed far more prominent than usual.
  • Options

Next protest away day will be Gillingham, absolute certainty.

Hopefully the little bloke and his mate behind me in the queue won't be going got no problem with the anti regime songs but when you got two of em screaming the song down you earhole just not on.
    Hope we don't play for the draw tomorrow night could of gone at Oxford a lot more Saturday it's alright going for a point away from home puts more pressure on the home games though.
    I do understand the singing of the anti roland songs you got let em know your still here.
  • Options

We're only 3 points off a play off place
    Think positive

OK I get the hint
  • Options
    Thought that Slade set out to draw that game, shame as think we could have easily won that.

I did think there was some choppers at the game today, but no more than usual. The stewards were happy for pissed fans to stand and jostle in the walk ways when they had a safety buffer at the back of the stand they did not use.

Thought it was a poor ground.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Thought that Slade set out to draw that game, shame as think we could have easily won that.

I did think there was some choppers at the game today, but no more than usual. The stewards were happy for pissed fans to stand and jostle in the walk ways when they had a safety buffer at the back of the stand they did not use.

Thought it was a poor ground.

Wait until you go to Gillingham.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

In his first year and a half of management with the Jenkinson money. Then the wheels fell off when they wanted Cash to shell out additional money.
  • Options

but Curbishley had played for CAFC, started his managerial career with us, I would go so far as to say grew into manhood at CAFC .. the fact that West Ham was the club of his boyhood dreams is really irrelevant, he's from West Ham, what do you expect ? ..
    I don't think we'll ever get a man like him in charge ever again .. 15 years in charge ? .. will NEVER happen again ..
    Slade is typical of the new breed: dedicated, knowledgeable, hard working but passionless .. it's essentially just a job to him and increasingly this also applies to most players

Back in 1995, when Murray ended the joint bosses arrangement, a lot of people were very upset that Gritt was removed, as he was "proper Charlton" whereas at the time, Curbs had the respect but not the love of the Charlton fans. That only really happened for him when he was successful by himself
    Even after he became successful for us, there was a suspicion that he was "proper" West ham and would never be Charlton. Remember when BC interviewed him on the pitch at the end of one season when it was rumoured that he was moving to West Ham during the close season that a "wag" in the crowd shouted "F... off to West Ham!" . Not that West Ham fans liked him then or later when he became their manager/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dermot Gallagher, as always, reviewed the weekend "talking points" on Sky. This week the reviewed incidents included the Lennon tackle which incurred a (second) yellow card and led to a red card.

The tackle was truly dreadful, and as Dermot stated, it should have led to a direct red card. I was at the game and didn't see the tackle as being as bad as it really was.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Dermot Gallagher, as always, reviewed the weekend "talking points" on Sky. This week the reviewed incidents included the Lennon tackle which incurred a (second) yellow card and led to a red card.

The tackle was truly dreadful, and as Dermot stated, it should have led to a direct red card. I was at the game and didn't see the tackle as being as bad as it really was.

Agree. I even missed that he was sent off. Beer goggles well and truly on by then!
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

It was such a dreadful 1st touch on the ball - and it seemed to me that Lennon just lunged after the ball to clear.
    It gives me the impression that with his eye on the ball, Lennon wasn't really aware of the opponent moving in quickly before he caught the player.

Maybe that's how the referee saw it too?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

PeterGage said:

It was such a dreadful 1st touch on the ball - and it seemed to me that Lennon just lunged after the ball to clear.
    It gives me the impression that with his eye on the ball, Lennon wasn't really aware of the opponent moving in quickly before he caught the player.

Maybe that's how the referee saw it too?

If you are not aware that an opponent is close to winning the ball, why would you slide tackle?
  • Options

I just think Lennon lunged after his miscontrolled ball, rather than the man.

It was in a midfield area and not a goalscoring opportunity, and IMO there was no motive to deliberately play the man, - just a total misjudgement.
    I believe the referee handled it correctly.

We'll have to beg to differ on this one, Peter.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I just think Lennon lunged after his miscontrolled ball, rather than the man.

It was in a midfield area and not a goalscoring opportunity, and IMO there was no motive to deliberately play the man, - just a total misjudgement.
    I believe the referee handled it correctly.

We'll have to beg to differ on this one, Peter.

We differ, but I am right Oggy :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I found this photo of the away section. Massive congestion and overcrowding caused by not opening gate and section N3