Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    I can't remember our last penalty, would it have been taken by Igor or TWWW?
  • Options

Couple of minutes of highlights here

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/14763425.VIDEO__Highlights_from_Oxford_United_s_draw_with_Charlton_Athletic/

Not a very convincing penalty from JJ. And he's missed a few lately. Anyone else in this side any good at penalty taking?

Looked good enough to me.

Ajose was the penalty taker at Swindon last season.
    Not sure I agree with you on that one, Henry.

JJ has developed the habit of hitting penalties straight down the middle recently. Any goalkeeper who has done his homework (or had it done for him) would surely know that. And watch this one again - if the Oxford goalie had simply stood still he would have swallowed the ball1
    Its not just recently. He went through a stage when we were last in L1 when virtually every pen went down the middle - until obviously they picked up on it, and he had a couple saved.
  • Options

Couple of minutes of highlights here

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/14763425.VIDEO__Highlights_from_Oxford_United_s_draw_with_Charlton_Athletic/

Not a very convincing penalty from JJ. And he's missed a few lately. Anyone else in this side any good at penalty taking?

Looked good enough to me.

Ajose was the penalty taker at Swindon last season.
    Not sure I agree with you on that one, Henry.

JJ has developed the habit of hitting penalties straight down the middle recently. Any goalkeeper who has done his homework (or had it done for him) would surely know that. And watch this one again - if the Oxford goalie had simply stood still he would have swallowed the ball1
    Don't think he's taken a pen for a couple of years now.

Of course any pen taking down the middle will be save if the keeper stands still bit if the keeper stands still the taker slots it in the corner.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Slade set up with 5 in midfield as a reaction to Oxford playing that way. He is a negative manager but I do think the quality in the side will mean we turn it round. If we were winning our home games it wouldn't be an issue setting up as he does away. I think he should consider 3-5-3 on Tuesday with Bauer, Tex and Konsa/Foley, but he won't.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

jamescafc said:

Wasn't very impressed with Oxford's crowd and their stewarding terrible with clearly too many away fans in the area provided.

The Oxford stewards seemed to me to be doing a decent job....the problem was our own selfish fans who insisted on "sitting where you want".

Yesterday was awful for me as I had my 10 year old Daughter with me. We were in row BB and had all that standing and jostling with the stewards in front of us. She was scared and crying and the stewards could see this, asked if she was ok and subsequently moved us to the front.

Unfortunately, at the front we sat next to some teenage fans who were clearly frustrated (as much as everyone) at the way we were playing. Just shouting out the same inane rubbish using every expletive possible in front of many young fans isn't going to help matters at all. Then slamming the seats in time to the singing or just in frustration really grinds away at you too. My little girl was paying no attention to the match as she just didn't want to be there....she didn't celebrate the goal and Jacko is/was her favourite player!

Now my daughter never wants to go to a match again......thanks guys, thanks a lot, hope you enjoyed it.

It's football mate
    Exactly what I thought, if your daughter gets upset by shouting and swearing, maybe taking her to away games isn't a very good idea just yet?
  • Options

Slade set up with 5 in midfield as a reaction to Oxford playing that way. He is a negative manager but I do think the quality in the side will mean we turn it round. If we were winning our home games it wouldn't be an issue setting up as he does away. I think he should consider 3-5-3 on Tuesday with Bauer, Tex and Konsa/Foley, but he won't.

With Rudd playing in the back 3 ?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Slade set up with 5 in midfield as a reaction to Oxford playing that way. He is a negative manager but I do think the quality in the side will mean we turn it round. If we were winning our home games it wouldn't be an issue setting up as he does away. I think he should consider 3-5-3 on Tuesday, but he won't.

Slade's problem is unchanged from all this season's games that I've seen .. lack of real pace and creativity in central midfield which also leads to an inability to close down attackers, especially on the break..
    Fred and Crofts do an OK job BUT just not good enough .. I'd like to see Holmes in the centre just to add some pace and passing ability .. bring Ajose back for a home game .. BUT as you write, it won't happen and what to do about Jackson ?, the glue of the team which alas comes unstuck too often for comfort ..
    Rudd .. Solly Bauer Pearce Fox .. Crofts (the back man in a diamond, Fred out on the right, Jackson on the left, Holmes, the most advanced in the centre of midfield .. Magennis & Ajose .. dream on ((:>)
  • Options

Yoni Buyens against Reading. 3-2 win.
  • Options
    Jackson was taking penalties in our last but one season in this division (excluding this one) before the arrival of Kermorgant and then JBG .. he was pretty successful at it as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He took them in 2014/15

Who was meant to have taken them last season!
  • Options

He took them in 2014/15

Who was meant to have taken them last season!
    JBG
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

SE7toSG3 said:

The flaw in that Lincs is that though started by
    "the 'away fans', the pissed mob which can sometimes be persuaded to travel a few miles outside the M25", it was taken up by nearly all the away end, the 'sell our club' chant reflects the majority view of those who were there. It had zero impact on the players wheras giving the ball away in midfield that led to the goal did.

you know this for a fact do you ? .. is this through research or is it mere supposition ? .. it does not alter my statement .. negative vitriolic chanting aimed at the regime .. and NOT encouraging chants aimed at the players, ostensibly the reason why MOST of us go to games .. to watch FOOTBALL
    Yes I do know it for a fact not supposition and I am not trying to get in a spat with you, the players on numerous occassions have shared with supporters that they are not affected by it, its not at aimed them, its not sung at them, it doesnt mention them.

They know that the majority (and thats not a supposition either), of the support are not happy with the regime, I completely agree with that most of us go to watch football, in fact I think all of us go to watch football, the the future of this that concerns us. You clearly love and follow our club, I clearly love and follow my club but I refuse to accept that I am somehow contrubuting to the desperate (ie close on to our lowest league position in our 111 year history) by expressing my dissatifaction in the owner, SMT and hangers on who mock my loyalty and passion, how can I have any faith in that?
    Well said, SE7toSG3.

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

SE7toSG3 said:

The flaw in that Lincs is that though started by
    "the 'away fans', the pissed mob which can sometimes be persuaded to travel a few miles outside the M25", it was taken up by nearly all the away end, the 'sell our club' chant reflects the majority view of those who were there. It had zero impact on the players wheras giving the ball away in midfield that led to the goal did.

you know this for a fact do you ? .. is this through research or is it mere supposition ? .. it does not alter my statement .. negative vitriolic chanting aimed at the regime .. and NOT encouraging chants aimed at the players, ostensibly the reason why MOST of us go to games .. to watch FOOTBALL
    Yes I do know it for a fact not supposition and I am not trying to get in a spat with you, the players on numerous occassions have shared with supporters that they are not affected by it, its not at aimed them, its not sung at them, it doesnt mention them.

They know that the majority (and thats not a supposition either), of the support are not happy with the regime, I completely agree with you that most of us go to watch football, in fact I think all of us go to watch football, its the future of this that concerns us. You clearly love and follow our club, I clearly love and follow my club but I refuse to accept that I am somehow contrubuting to the desperate (ie close on to our lowest league position in our 111 year history) prediciment were in by expressing my dissatifaction in the owner, SMT and hangers on who mock my loyalty and passion, how can I have any faith in that?
    @Lincsaddick I often agree with your posts but in this instance I concur with the above
  • Options

Haven't been to Oxford since Morse was a constable. As usual the social side was 90% of the match-day experience. Travelled on the CARD coach from Charlton - very pleasant, and expertly run by our delightful 84 years-young lady steward. Got back home to SE18 at 19.40 - easy-peasy. We had left SE7 at 11.00 and arrived at 13.45 - the club coach was not due to leave Charlton until 11.55 so Gawd knows what time they got to the game.

The Rustler and his coaching mates are mice. This is a talented group - just turn them loose, for crying out loud. Maginnis was so remote from his colleagues he was getting the ball by post. The table might be tight but all those points lost by timidity are lost forever. If we get caught out once in a while - which we were today anyway - then so be it, but at least we might get some better football and who knows, maybe even some excitement. Paddy Bauer striding forward and getting things moving - now that's a real footballer trying to play proper football.

You might join Fanny in the knitting club, GlassHalfFull. May I remind you about Oxford away - Boxing Day, 1980. The Manor Ground, this alley at Headington that opened to corrugated fences, barns, old stands, all ramshackle and lovely.

"Derek Hales is a wanker... Derek Hales is a wanker" - those were the strains from the punters in the scratching shed. Killer was 40 yards out. He swivelled, and hammered this ballistic shot - at them. The crossbar wobbled. That shut the bastards up.

We lost 1-0. It was the end of our glorious run of 17 unbeaten games. We were OUTRAGED. How DARE they!

That was a fantastic season in the Third. Away at Chester, the old Sealand Road ground, lost 4-1 - completely over-run - and our players changed trains at Crewe on the way back. In the station buffet: kipper ties, mullet hairdos, jackets rolled up over shirt sleeves. And slightly apart - Lawrie Madden, superb Marxist, in tweed jacket with leather patches on elbows.

We wobbled at Easter and went up with Rotherham and Barnsley. !981: Nicky Johns, Steve Gritt, Lawrie Madden, Phil Warman, Les Berry, Paddy Powell, Martin Robinson - and the brilliant Paul Walsh.

Until very recently there was graffiti on a wall in Greenwich. These spare, declamatory words:

KILLER HALES IS GOD

We lost 4-0 at Chester lol... If i recall we were top and they were bottom we were 3 down inside 20 mins..... Anyone recall the idiot who ran on the pitch. And took the corner flag
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Was sung during Walsall game.

Effected players so much we won.

Wasn't sung v Wimbledon.

Effected players so little they lost.

Was sung at Oxford when score was 0 - 0 and we went ahead.

No correlation between the song and results QED

not so .. the mass singing started AFTER we went ahead .. your QED is B O L L O C K S .. AND it's Aff not effected
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Slade's football is shite. He's reactive not proactive. Make a positive change at 1-0 and we could kill the game. Instead..

Also strange scenes near where I was standing. One obviously pro-CARD supporter having a row with a bloke standing behind him for a good 20 mins. The bloke behind was obviously very upset that people were singing nasty songs about Roland and at one stage appeared to shout 'shut up' during an extremely loud rendition of 'just sell the club'. Clown.

Is irt the same idiof on the 19.01 home
    Probably mate, we drove though. What was he saying?
    Just abused me as i had a card shirt on.
  • Options
    Should there be a similar "ban" on songs about opposition fans and clubs, such as the Jeremy Kyle song and various others? After all, they can hardly be said to be aimed at supporting the team either, but personally I'm not aware of them influencing the results.
  • Options
    Thought we sang it during the game.... At various points... Think it rallies players to hear us.
  • Options
    My favourite was wooh, wooh Roland (oo aa). The players must've appreciated that!
  • Options
    No protest songs (or perhaps one) were sung at Fleetwood, and we still only drew...

• Options

Should there be a similar "ban" on songs about opposition fans and clubs, such as the Jeremy Kyle song and various others? After all, they can hardly be said to be aimed at supporting the team either, but personally I'm not aware of them influencing the results.

you're splitting hairs here Mr AB .. confusing and comparing insults and badinage aimed at the opposition with insults aimed at our regime, comparing ying with yang .. but my main point is NOT the chants aimed at Duchatelet and crew, as boring and tedious as they have become (to me at least), it's the LACK of vocal support given to our players that concerns me ..
  • Options

you're splitting hairs here Mr AB .. confusing and comparing insults and badinage aimed at the opposition with insults aimed at our regime, comparing ying with yang .. but my main point is NOT the chants aimed at Duchatelet and crew, as boring and tedious as they have become (to me at least), it's the LACK of vocal support given to our players that concerns me ..

Think up some songs for players and start singing them at matches.

Problem solved.
    problem here is, most of the away games I go to, the Addicks fans are mostly: a) aged and b) outnumbered by the stewards .. I'd be wasting my time trying to engender some choral response from a group of dedicated way fans whose vocal chords are probably simply not up to rabble rousing vocals .. anyway, I'd be too busy watching the FOOTBALL