Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    kafka said:

Vocal support was strong throughout. Pro team, anti regime. Brussell even mentioned it on post match interview. In my opinion, the result was not influenced in any way by the crowd of either side. Getting the midfield to move into opponents half might have more influence.

This, This and This.
  • Options

Just watched Slade's after match interview, and i just cant get that he's Charlton ? - cant explain it , but he just doesnt feel Charlton !?

Agree ,i think he feels regime
  • Options

Haven't been to Oxford since Morse was a constable. As usual the social side was 90% of the match-day experience. Travelled on the CARD coach from Charlton - very pleasant, and expertly run by our delightful 84 years-young lady steward. Got back home to SE18 at 19.40 - easy-peasy. We had left SE7 at 11.00 and arrived at 13.45 - the club coach was not due to leave Charlton until 11.55 so Gawd knows what time they got to the game.

The Rustler and his coaching mates are mice. This is a talented group - just turn them loose, for crying out loud. Maginnis was so remote from his colleagues he was getting the ball by post. The table might be tight but all those points lost by timidity are lost forever. If we get caught out once in a while - which we were today anyway - then so be it, but at least we might get some better football and who knows, maybe even some excitement. Paddy Bauer striding forward and getting things moving - now that's a real footballer trying to play proper football.

Great post GHF. I admit I am part of your social circle and that if it was not for the social side I would have given up already this season. RS is so slow to make substitutions that it is barely worth bothering, and playing just one up front, when have we ever been so negative? Poor Josh was unlucky to have their keeper make a brilliant save to deny him the goal he deserves for having to work alone most of the match. Great to see Bauer again after so long, he makes a difference, and would be even better to see him alongside Tex at the back. Though it's not defence that's the problem, there's no creativity in midfield and we rarely look like scoring. We can't hold onto a lead and the only surprise yesterday was that we didn't throw it away completely like we did against Wimbledon last week. Come on Slade, you've signed forwards, use them!

Interesting that Curbs said on the football show last night that he couldn't offer any comfort to fans and that the owners of the club have decisions to make. There's only one they need to make, SELL UP, NOW!
    terrific sentiment .. BUT is there a queue of buyers or even a queue of one ? .. until we improve in footballing terms there will be little or no interest in buying a failing club for a price that would be acceptable to Duchatelet ..
    we MUST just keep hoping that on field performances keep improving enough to inject some interest from a VERY rich man/group .. and nowadays only VERY rich people are interested in buying a football club
    I doubt there would be a queue Lincs, but think there would still be one or two. I do fear that if we keep on playing like this and losing even more fans then no-one will touch us with a barge pole. RD won't care as he can sell the land to developers. I do fear we may lose our club forever at this rate.

Haven't been to Oxford since Morse was a constable. As usual the social side was 90% of the match-day experience. Travelled on the CARD coach from Charlton - very pleasant, and expertly run by our delightful 84 years-young lady steward. Got back home to SE18 at 19.40 - easy-peasy. We had left SE7 at 11.00 and arrived at 13.45 - the club coach was not due to leave Charlton until 11.55 so Gawd knows what time they got to the game.

The Rustler and his coaching mates are mice. This is a talented group - just turn them loose, for crying out loud. Maginnis was so remote from his colleagues he was getting the ball by post. The table might be tight but all those points lost by timidity are lost forever. If we get caught out once in a while - which we were today anyway - then so be it, but at least we might get some better football and who knows, maybe even some excitement. Paddy Bauer striding forward and getting things moving - now that's a real footballer trying to play proper football.

Great post GHF. I admit I am part of your social circle and that if it was not for the social side I would have given up already this season. RS is so slow to make substitutions that it is barely worth bothering, and playing just one up front, when have we ever been so negative? Poor Josh was unlucky to have their keeper make a brilliant save to deny him the goal he deserves for having to work alone most of the match. Great to see Bauer again after so long, he makes a difference, and would be even better to see him alongside Tex at the back. Though it's not defence that's the problem, there's no creativity in midfield and we rarely look like scoring. We can't hold onto a lead and the only surprise yesterday was that we didn't throw it away completely like we did against Wimbledon last week. Come on Slade, you've signed forwards, use them!

Interesting that Curbs said on the football show last night that he couldn't offer any comfort to fans and that the owners of the club have decisions to make. There's only one they need to make, SELL UP, NOW!
    terrific sentiment .. BUT is there a queue of buyers or even a queue of one ? .. until we improve in footballing terms there will be little or no interest in buying a failing club for a price that would be acceptable to Duchatelet ..
    we MUST just keep hoping that on field performances keep improving enough to inject some interest from a VERY rich man/group .. and nowadays only VERY rich people are interested in buying a football club
    I doubt there would be a queue Lincs, but think there would still be one or two. I do fear that if we keep on playing like this and losing even more fans then no-one will touch us with a barge pole. RD won't care as he can sell the land to developers. I do fear we may lose our club forever at this rate.
    you're really emphasising my point .. it is the on field success or failure that will determine the club's future .. more success = more value/equity in the club and, as I surmised above, Duchatelet will not sell until the price is right .. we MUST keep a bit of faith in the club as it stands at present, as odious as Duchatelet may be and as incompetent as is Meire ..
    Yesterday we had the ridiculous situation of the 'away fans', the pissed mob which can sometimes be persuaded to travel a few miles outside the M25 chanting 'Roland is a cunt' .. 'save our club, our famous football club' .. just after we had scored .. w t f is that all about .. how is that encouraging the team, motivating the team on the field ? .. the best way to get of Duchatelet is to achieve on field success and encourage potential buyers .. otherwise, as you suggest, the club might be driven into the ground ..
    I completely disagree with your argument about needing success on the pitch in order to have a chance of ridding ourselves of Roland.
    Surely, if we have success on the pitch then that vindicates Roland and Katrien and the way that they run the club and then he is less likely to sell.
    If we continue to struggle on the pitch then the value of the club will fall and potential buyers are more likely to be interested.
  • Options

Just watched Slade's after match interview, and i just cant get that he's Charlton ? - cant explain it , but he just doesnt feel Charlton !?

he's a 'professional manager' .. owes allegiance to who pays his wages .. we've been fortunate to have had Powell and Lord Curbishley, real Addicks .. not too many of that calibre around unfortunately
  • Options

you're really emphasising my point .. it is the on field success or failure that will determine the club's future .. more success = more value/equity in the club and, as I surmised above, Duchatelet will not sell until the price is right .. we MUST keep a bit of faith in the club as it stands at present, as odious as Duchatelet may be and as incompetent as is Meire ..
    Yesterday we had the ridiculous situation of the 'away fans', the pissed mob which can sometimes be persuaded to travel a few miles outside the M25 chanting 'Roland is a cunt' .. 'save our club, our famous football club' .. just after we had scored .. w t f is that all about .. how is that encouraging the team, motivating the team on the field ? .. the best way to get of Duchatelet is to achieve on field success and encourage potential buyers .. otherwise, as you suggest, the club might be driven into the ground ..
    I completely disagree with your argument about needing success on the pitch in order to have a chance of ridding ourselves of Roland.
    Surely, if we have success on the pitch then that vindicates Roland and Katrien and the way that they run the club and then he is less likely to sell.
    If we continue to struggle on the pitch then the value of the club will fall and potential buyers are more likely to be interested.
    Trouble is the further we fall the bigger the dept. He'll be wanting his money back so in order to get rid of the prick we have to go up not down
  • Options
    Lookman needs top class coaching to improve his game, and he's clearly not getting it from Slade. Yesterday he appeared not to know what his role was.
  • Options
    Just because he wants his money back doesn't mean that he will get it.
    His alternative is to hold on and keep adding to those losses.
    Do you really think that he will ever get an offer to cover those losses? Absolutely no chance, unless we get to the Premier League and we all know that that isn't going to happen.
    Also, if we get promoted do you think that he will then look to sell. Once again, I don't think so.
  • Options

Do you really think that he will ever get an offer to cover those losses? Absolutely no chance, unless we get to the Premier League and we all know that that isn't going to happen.
    Also, if we get promoted do you think that he will then look to sell. Once again, I don't think so.

Basically then we are fucked
  • Options

yep -all maybe good reason to start up AFC Charlton now, so that we can work through the legues and get the fans to the home games.
    Can we pla on a Friday night at the Peninsular please.?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We're not in a good position, that's for sure.
    IMO the only hope that we have is for him to get bored by a lack of success and the continuing losses and also that the protests, here and in Belgium, really start to irk him.
  • Options
    Can we get Katrien a new toy club/career?

Or make her want to leave Charlton so badly she actually leaves?

• Options
    edited September 2016

he's a 'professional manager' .. owes allegiance to who pays his wages .. we've been fortunate to have had Powell and Lord Curbishley, real Addicks .. not too many of that calibre around unfortunately
    To be fair Curbs was known as that West Ham guy when he took over at first, he only became "a real Addick" through success and the way he ran the club
  • Options

He had opportunities to sell when we were in the Championship.

They have said that they have had numerous approaches but that the club is not for sale.

How people take it as fact that promotion or relegation will lead to him selling I don't know.

It's a mad experiment from a mad man being delivered by a CEO whose only skill is building her CV.

He'll sell when he gets bored/fed up with the experiment.

That could be tomorrow or in ten years time.

In the meantime we collectively can only carry on telling the regime they are not wanted, trying to embarrass them as much as possible and try to limit the damage they can do to the club while they are still here.

In the meantime I want Charlton to win every game they play and get promoted.

But I and many others realise that it is much more likely that we'll more win games and gain promotion if we are run by people with ambition, a coherent business plan and the best interests of the club at heart.

So for those reasons I'll sing "just sell our club, our famous football club, we don't really want you here..."

or he could peg it?
  • Options

He had opportunities to sell when we were in the Championship.

They have said that they have had numerous approaches but that the club is not for sale.

How people take it as fact that promotion or relegation will lead to him selling I don't know.

It's a mad experiment from a mad man being delivered by a CEO whose only skill is building her CV.

He'll sell when he gets bored/fed up with the experiment.

That could be tomorrow or in ten years time.

In the meantime we collectively can only carry on telling the regime they are not wanted, trying to embarrass them as much as possible and try to limit the damage they can do to the club while they are still here.

In the meantime I want Charlton to win every game they play and get promoted.

But I and many others realise that it is much more likely that we'll more win games and gain promotion if we are run by people with ambition, a coherent business plan and the best interests of the club at heart.

So for those reasons I'll sing "just sell our club, our famous football club, we don't really want you here..."

or he could peg it?
    "We're going to have a party.................".
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Slade's football is shite. He's reactive not proactive. Make a positive change at 1-0 and we could kill the game. Instead..

Also strange scenes near where I was standing. One obviously pro-CARD supporter having a row with a bloke standing behind him for a good 20 mins. The bloke behind was obviously very upset that people were singing nasty songs about Roland and at one stage appeared to shout 'shut up' during an extremely loud rendition of 'just sell the club'. Clown.

Is irt the same idiof on the 19.01 home
    Probably mate, we drove though. What was he saying?
    Just abused me as i had a card shirt on.
    Could well be the same bloke. This guy was at least two suits short of a full deck and at one point even said that Roland was putting millions into the club and that we were essentially lucky to have him.

Just the sort of mug Katrien and the other drips in charge wish the club had more of. Fortunately, they're in the overwhelming minority.
  • Options
    It's actually a very good chant as football chants go. It was definitely sung before we took the lead
  • Options
    Don't care what's sung aslong as its not offensive, Oxford as others have said is possibly one of the worst away grounds I've been to, stewards trying to seat People in there correct seats, unwritten rule standers at the back, sitters at the front was ridiculous, other than the 90 minutes it was a good day out, train home was good as well plenty of singing, yet again another good away game with the bitching and moaning afterwards about fans behaviour, it's a football match not a tea party, Charlton fans are decent people, and as for the singing of anti Roland songs, the man is ruining our football club that we all love so much.
  • Options

You might join Fanny in the knitting club, GlassHalfFull. May I remind you about Oxford away - Boxing Day, 1980. The Manor Ground, this alley at Headington that opened to corrugated fences, barns, old stands, all ramshackle and lovely.

"Derek Hales is a wanker... Derek Hales is a wanker" - those were the strains from the punters in the scratching shed. Killer was 40 yards out. He swivelled, and hammered this ballistic shot - at them. The crossbar wobbled. That shut the bastards up.

We lost 1-0. It was the end of our glorious run of 17 unbeaten games. We were OUTRAGED. How DARE they!

That was a fantastic season in the Third. Away at Chester, the old Sealand Road ground, lost 4-1 - completely over-run - and our players changed trains at Crewe on the way back. In the station buffet: kipper ties, mullet hairdos, jackets rolled up over shirt sleeves. And slightly apart - Lawrie Madden, superb Marxist, in tweed jacket with leather patches on elbows.

We wobbled at Easter and went up with Rotherham and Barnsley. !981: Nicky Johns, Steve Gritt, Lawrie Madden, Phil Warman, Les Berry, Paddy Powell, Martin Robinson - and the brilliant Paul Walsh.

Until very recently there was graffiti on a wall in Greenwich. These spare, declamatory words:

KILLER HALES IS GOD

We lost 4-0 at Chester lol... If i recall we were top and they were bottom we were 3 down inside 20 mins..... Anyone recall the idiot who ran on the pitch. And took the corner flag
    He posts on here and is still an idiot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Should there be a similar "ban" on songs about opposition fans and clubs, such as the Jeremy Kyle song and various others? After all, they can hardly be said to be aimed at supporting the team either, but personally I'm not aware of them influencing the results.

you're splitting hairs here Mr AB .. confusing and comparing insults and badinage aimed at the opposition with insults aimed at our regime, comparing ying with yang .. but my main point is NOT the chants aimed at Duchatelet and crew, as boring and tedious as they have become (to me at least), it's the LACK of vocal support given to our players that concerns me ..
    Lol, says the bloke picking people up on type-o's (affected vs effected).

Calm down Lincs.
  • Options

Slade's football is shite. He's reactive not proactive. Make a positive change at 1-0 and we could kill the game. Instead..

Also strange scenes near where I was standing. One obviously pro-CARD supporter having a row with a bloke standing behind him for a good 20 mins. The bloke behind was obviously very upset that people were singing nasty songs about Roland and at one stage appeared to shout 'shut up' during an extremely loud rendition of 'just sell the club'. Clown.

Is irt the same idiof on the 19.01 home
    Probably mate, we drove though. What was he saying?
    Just abused me as i had a card shirt on.
    Could well be the same bloke. This guy was at least two suits short of a full deck and at one point even said that Roland was putting millions into the club and that we were essentially lucky to have him.

Just the sort of mug Katrien and the other drips in charge wish the club had more of. Fortunately, they're in the overwhelming minority.
    Hmmmm...

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Maybe Slade is a 'set up to draw all away games and win all th home games.' kind of manager.

Trouble with that is having to win the home games.

And as Idle jnr observed recently, anyone buying a ticket for The Valley just now deserves to see us lose.
    I can't agree with that. I do t give the regime any money. I hope others won't, too. However, in any and all circumstances we should want the team to win.
  • Options

Should there be a similar "ban" on songs about opposition fans and clubs, such as the Jeremy Kyle song and various others? After all, they can hardly be said to be aimed at supporting the team either, but personally I'm not aware of them influencing the results.

you're splitting hairs here Mr AB .. confusing and comparing insults and badinage aimed at the opposition with insults aimed at our regime, comparing ying with yang .. but my main point is NOT the chants aimed at Duchatelet and crew, as boring and tedious as they have become (to me at least), it's the LACK of vocal support given to our players that concerns me ..

Think up some songs for players and start singing them at matches.

Problem solved.
    I'm guessing you're probably reduced to using sign language at home today, Lincs , after all that cheering on the team you did yesterday.

• Options

IdleHans said:

Maybe Slade is a 'set up to draw all away games and win all th home games.' kind of manager.

Trouble with that is having to win the home games.

And as Idle jnr observed recently, anyone buying a ticket for The Valley just now deserves to see us lose.
    I can't agree with that. I do t give the regime any money. I hope others won't, too. However, in any and all circumstances we should want the team to win.
    I think there's a subtle difference. I certainly don't want us to lose, nor do I think Idle jr does. But when we do lose at home, it's hard to feel sympathy for those who have bought a ticket.
  • Options

You might join Fanny in the knitting club, GlassHalfFull. May I remind you about Oxford away - Boxing Day, 1980. The Manor Ground, this alley at Headington that opened to corrugated fences, barns, old stands, all ramshackle and lovely.

"Derek Hales is a wanker... Derek Hales is a wanker" - those were the strains from the punters in the scratching shed. Killer was 40 yards out. He swivelled, and hammered this ballistic shot - at them. The crossbar wobbled. That shut the bastards up.

We lost 1-0. It was the end of our glorious run of 17 unbeaten games. We were OUTRAGED. How DARE they!

That was a fantastic season in the Third. Away at Chester, the old Sealand Road ground, lost 4-1 - completely over-run - and our players changed trains at Crewe on the way back. In the station buffet: kipper ties, mullet hairdos, jackets rolled up over shirt sleeves. And slightly apart - Lawrie Madden, superb Marxist, in tweed jacket with leather patches on elbows.

We wobbled at Easter and went up with Rotherham and Barnsley. !981: Nicky Johns, Steve Gritt, Lawrie Madden, Phil Warman, Les Berry, Paddy Powell, Martin Robinson - and the brilliant Paul Walsh.

Until very recently there was graffiti on a wall in Greenwich. These spare, declamatory words:

KILLER HALES IS GOD

We lost 4-0 at Chester lol... If i recall we were top and they were bottom we were 3 down inside 20 mins..... Anyone recall the idiot who ran on the pitch. And took the corner flag
    He posts on here and is still an idiot
    Henners please tell me it wasn't you or Airman :wink: .
  • Options
    If Roland thinks he's going to get his invested monies back then he really is a nutcase.
    Slade's tactics were all wrong,Josh solely up-front and supported by JJ and Foley(all three played well by the way)but what a weird structure.Still unsure what Crofts brings to the party,Ulvestad looks quite good and even better if he has a killer pass in him.Solly---he is well off his best and just going through the motions which is unbelievable for a player of his usual commitment.Lennon---needs someone to get inside his head and sort his thinking---none obvious in those two dreadful challenges,deservedly sent-off,and I hate seeing our players red-carded.
    Slade seems to just do enough--so is he treading water or about to sink? I really don't think he has much in reserve,is almost coasting I'd sday and I have no confidence in him if push comes to shove at the end of the season,at either end of the table.Trying to be clever with oddball tactics against moderate opposition needs to be questioned.All Oxford had,ultimately,was a well rehearsed break away and a decent keeper(why don't our forwards keep their goal attempts away from the keeper instead of being happy in "hitting the target"?).Anywhere left or right of the keeper and we win the game.Come on lads,just use the old grey matter,not difficult.
    If we don't beat a very weak Oldham on Tuesday then we are really in the sticky stuff,without any question.
    Nathan Jones from Luton anyone?
  • Options
    Still can't believe Portsmouth or Leeds got so low in the football leagues with the great support for their team they had , Lincs if it made a difference those clubs would not have been in the 4th and 3rd tiers of English football so recently .

Lennons first touch before his foul/sending off , wow

I'm a bit more positive than most , prollly due to having only been to the Northampton game this season but I believe we have enough about us (as long as injuries don't go wonky ) even with the limited abilities of Brussel S to push up the league

0.5% Top two ......... 20.5% 3rd-6th ......... 60% 7th-12th ......... 19% 13th-20th ........ 0% relegation