Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Surprised by the timing but not surprised Lowe has gone. Feels like Preston have stagnated around that group of teams that flirt with relegation but ultimately just do enough to claw themselves clear.

Ryan Lowe is an obvious Plymouth move though. 
  • Yep can deffo see Rooney leaving within the first 5 games and Lowe replacing him. 
  • Yep can deffo see Rooney leaving within the first 5 games and Lowe replacing him. 
    My thoughts exactly when I heard the news.
  • fenaddick said:
    Ryan Lowe sacked by Preston after the first game of the season, is that a record?
    Maybe in England.  Two posts above yours - same happened in Scotland a week ago.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Surprised by the timing but not surprised Lowe has gone. Feels like Preston have stagnated around that group of teams that flirt with relegation but ultimately just do enough to claw themselves clear.

Perfect for a return there. Plymouth only appoint scouse managers, which does seriously reduce the options .
  • edited August 12
    MarcusH26 said:
    Surprised by the timing but not surprised Lowe has gone. Feels like Preston have stagnated around that group of teams that flirt with relegation but ultimately just do enough to claw themselves clear.

ever since Trevor Hemmings died, Preston have struggled, he was probably their financial godfather .. with SOOO many EFL clubs of a similar stature around that area (Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Blackpool etc.), Preston's lack of progress stands out even more I suspect
    Also, I reckon Lowe is not one to hide his light under a bucket, perhaps he told the new owners some truths they didn't like to hear .. EDIT .. and he did pretty well in his time at the Pilgrims before quitting to take the Preston job 
  • Of all the traditional North West Clubs that were strong before the 1960s (ie Blackburn, Bolton, Blackpool, Burnley) when the maximum wage and gate sharing were abolished so making the big city clubs stronger, Preston are the only team not to have had a spell back in the top flight.  

Been close a few times but now seem to be a permanent Championship club (oh, for such a tragedy at Charlton). 
  • edited August 12
    MarcusH26 said:

Last season Preston finished 10th:
    13 points short of Norwich in 6th and 13 points clear of Birmingham who dropped.

A real mid table team which started so well had a rocky time then picked up to finish as a middling team.

Oh for the halcyon days of mid table championship for Charlton and 50% of CL, led by Golfie, state Nathan Jones has taken CAFC as far as he can.
  • MarcusH26 said:

Eh? Preston finished 10th last season after being close to the play offs.
    Pretty sure the previous season was the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:

Also, I reckon Lowe is not one to hide his light under a bucket, perhaps he told the new owners some truths they didn't like to hear  
    Nor is Lowe one to hide his light under a bushel.
  • Pochettino looks set to be the next US manager
    Wait... Nathan Jones has been sacked? ;)
    Wonder if England spoke to him at all?
    About his level
  • Caretaker manager has now left Preston too, maybe they want a different manager for all 46 games? https://www.pnefc.net/news/2024/august/17/club-update-mike-marsh/
  • MrOneLung said:
    Paul Heckingbottom has been sacked by Preston, with the club announcing they have seen no significant improvement since his appointment

He had to go as his first training session was against the dusty bins and the 1st team lost 1-0 with a rebound from "Top bins"
  • MrOneLung said:
    Paul Heckingbottom has been sacked by Preston, with the club announcing they have seen no significant improvement since his appointment

He had to go as his first training session was against the dusty bins and the 1st team lost 1-0 with a rebound from "Top bins"
    You joke but Newcastle’s first team went 1-0 down under ardiles in a training match when there wasn’t any opposition!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow. They've started the season poorly, but crazy timing to go through preseason with one manager, then sack him 10 days into the season 
  • Former Celtic and Hibernian manager Neil Lennon has been sacked by Rapid Bucharest after just six matches.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cd9dj88317xo
  • Shame they couldn't have waited another month until we had played them.
  • Very surprising choice there from Blackpool, he did so well with his first spell, last year finished just outside the Play-Offs by just three points - This year has seen a poor start, but after just two games I'd expected them to turn it around under Critchley.

Guessing losing to the two promoted clubs hasn't helped

@Hertsseasider what are your thoughts on this one?
  • Very surprising choice there from Blackpool, he did so well with his first spell, last year finished just outside the Play-Offs by just three points - This year has seen a poor start, but after just two games I'd expected them to turn it around under Critchley.

Guessing losing to the two promoted clubs hasn't helped

@Hertsseasider what are your thoughts on this one?
    That'll be me then.

Very pleased. He had lost the fans last season with wrong formations and team selections and i think there were signs he was losing the players as well already. 2 defeats against promoted sides and our only goal coming off our forwards backside !. Sadler, the owner, has to make the right call now in the new appointment. To be honest he does not have a good track record - Appleton (shudders), Mad Mick and then bringing back Critch who had previously walked out of the club to go to Villa with Stevie G. Ritchie Wellens being mentioned but in the meantime Uncle Richard Keogh takes charge at Cambridge on Saturday
    I hope for your sake you don’t go for Wellens. Orient showed virtually nothing at the weekend
  • My view of Critchley and Blackpool is that he shouldn't have gone back. His disappointing second spell has tarnished his legacy.