Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Nathan Jones getting a fair few mentions from Cardiff fans on X/Twitter.

Cardiff fan. Championship job.  :|
    Right job. Wrong time. Presumably.
    Thought I read he supported Spurs.
  • And he's from Swansea isn't he? 🤔
  • edited September 14
    Just to put the 'Who does he support?' 'Where does he come from?' questions to bed.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-nathan-jones-said-beloved-26926047

• Just to put the 'Who does he support?' 'Where does he come from?' questions to bed.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-nathan-jones-said-beloved-26926047

'Would never turn that down' 

Sounds like a massive Cardiff fan reading that, and they will undoubtedly sack their manager soon. Don't like the reading of that at all. 

With Luton I think there's nothing to worry about, that reads like he'd want the switch if they approach.
  • Surely the Bolton job will soon be advertised in job centre's all over Lancashire. 
  • What worries me is the fact that he's still living apart from his family, that cant be satisfactory long term surely.
  • Brownie12 said:

Nathan Jones getting a fair few mentions from Cardiff fans on X/Twitter.

Cardiff fan. Championship job.  
    Last couple of times he has jumped ship for a “better job” he has fallen flat on his face. He needs to stop where he is and rebuild his reputation.  And it is only fan noise at this stage.
    Given that he's a fan he'd certainly have a tough decision to make if offered the job but i do agree with you. He's twice left for a better job and it hasn't worked. He's currently got a good thing going here and Cardiff are a club who look to be in a right mess. It's not impossible that the 2 clubs swap divisions  next season.

So if he has any sense he'd surely say thanks but no thanks.
  • Just about to spend a week in Greece with my bestie who is a massive Cardiff fan. So I will be finding out the latest on what’s occurring there.
    Sounds like the owner has lost interest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Steven Schumacher has left his position as Head Coach of Stoke City.
    https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/2024/september/16/schumacher-departs-potters/
  • I wonder if Chris Cohen will be on his way here, has worked as NJs assistant a couple of times 
  • Just to put the 'Who does he support?' 'Where does he come from?' questions to bed.

I’m hoping that the fact this topic is still only on the general managerial thread means most of this forum believe (hope) it’s only a side story.

• edited September 16
    Chunes said:
    Surely the Bolton job will soon be advertised in job centre's all over Lancashire. 
    For anyone who hasn't seen the goal they conceded in their 4-0 defeat yesterday: https://x.com/CameronJeromeFC/status/1835000923350835282

Then Evatt in his post-match interview seemed to be blaming the fans for "huge negative energy" since their play-off defeat. 

Surely been L1's most under-performing manager with the squad he's had at his disposal and now they're imploding. Can't see him lasting much longer. 

After being so close to promotion over the last few season when Bolton were so positive at the valley and won, they were a shadow of that form recently in the 2-0 loss at the valley and appeared deflated after recent failures to get promoted.

Ian Evatt's career had been on the rise ever since he started at Barrow. He may well struggle to hold onto his job as once you blame the fans and not own the poor form they are experiencing it can only end in one outcome.

Ever since Bolton won 4-1 at the valley when 'walk about' Adkins was our boss and went for the Jugular at 1-1, I always rated Evatt but football is a results business and lack of goals and a 4 nil home thumping are not good for the CV.
  • Who would take the Stoke job? So many managers have now failed there.
    It has to be Munro.

Snatched away from Clachnacuddin.
  • edited September 16
    Who would take the Stoke job? So many managers have now failed there.

Since the longevity of Pulis and Hughes who had 7 and 5 years at the helm, Stoke City have had 6 managers in 6 years since 2018 as well as 3 caretakers in that period.
    Lambert, Rowett, Nathan Jones, Michael O'Neil, Alex Neil, and Schumacher have tried to drive Stoke forward but have stalled.

There won't be any shortage of applicants but definitely a hard gig to satisfy the fans and Peter Coates; I wouldn't bet on the next incumbent being a winner, of the not so merry manager go round.
  • Can see Bolton going for Dave Challinor when they sack Evatt
  • Sponsored links:

Since the longevity of Pulis and Hughes who had 7 and 5 years at the helm, Stoke City have had 6 managers in 6 years since 2018 as well as 3 caretakers in that period.
    Lambert, Rowett, Nathan Jones, Michael O'Neil, Alex Neil, and Schumacher have tried to drive Stoke forward but have stalled.

There won't be any shortage of applicants but definitely a hard gig to satisfy the fans and Peter Coates; I wouldn't bet on the next incumbent being a winner, of the not so merry manager go round.
    They'll get candidates, but they'll be the usual managerial merry-go-round candidates, rather than anyone really sought after. 

I wonder if FFP has restricted how much they can spend, as their owners are fabulously wealthy. Maybe they need to do a Birmingham, and splash the cash in L1 instead.
  • Can see Bolton going for Dave Challinor when they sack Evatt

Think both Ryan Lowe and the newly available Steven Schumacher would be on Bolton's list too. 

Think it might need a championship club to nab Challinor. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Can see Bolton going for Dave Challinor when they sack Evatt

Think both Ryan Lowe and the newly available Steven Schumacher would be on Bolton's list too. 

Think it might need a championship club to nab Challinor. 

Both good shouts, I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the three end up there. 
  • I think Nathan Jones experience at both Southampton and Stoke gave him a lot of food for thought. He says he spent his time out seriously thinking about his career and football in general. Was definitely interviewed for the Millwall job and it’s suggested eventually knocked back their offer which I assume didn’t give him the overall control he wants and needs. We know he’s very much not a pragmatist in terms of football. I’d think Cardiff fans might be keen or at least want him considered but that doesn’t mean the Cardiff owners think that way or would be willing to offer Jones the control that he seemingly has at The Valley. I can definitely see him being in the betting and touted on the forums but I’d say it’s not likely at all. 
  • Stoke have made an approach for Norwich's first team coach Narcis Pelach. No real managerial experience bar a Spanish lower division side and a couple of caretaker games at Huddersfield. 
  • I think Nathan Jones experience at both Southampton and Stoke gave him a lot of food for thought. He says he spent his time out seriously thinking about his career and football in general. Was definitely interviewed for the Millwall job and it’s suggested eventually knocked back their offer which I assume didn’t give him the overall control he wants and needs. We know he’s very much not a pragmatist in terms of football. I’d think Cardiff fans might be keen or at least want him considered but that doesn’t mean the Cardiff owners think that way or would be willing to offer Jones the control that he seemingly has at The Valley. I can definitely see him being in the betting and touted on the forums but I’d say it’s not likely at all. 
    This 

I also think he needs to prove himself away from Luton and show he can be loyal to a project.

Both Mark McGhee and Garry Rowett moved jobs a couple of times , but needed to manage the Spanners to rebuild their reputations. I feel Nathan needs to stay here a while 
  • Richard J said:
    I think Nathan Jones experience at both Southampton and Stoke gave him a lot of food for thought. He says he spent his time out seriously thinking about his career and football in general. Was definitely interviewed for the Millwall job and it’s suggested eventually knocked back their offer which I assume didn’t give him the overall control he wants and needs. We know he’s very much not a pragmatist in terms of football. I’d think Cardiff fans might be keen or at least want him considered but that doesn’t mean the Cardiff owners think that way or would be willing to offer Jones the control that he seemingly has at The Valley. I can definitely see him being in the betting and touted on the forums but I’d say it’s not likely at all. 
    This 

I also think he needs to prove himself away from Luton and show he can be loyal to a project.

Both Mark McGhee and Garry Rowett moved jobs a couple of times , but needed to manage the Spanners to rebuild their reputations. I feel Nathan needs to stay here a while 
    If the National team come calling I’d see it as potentially something he’d have to consider. He’s very passionate about Wales. Having said that I don’t see his style of management suiting not having day to day involvement with the players. One problem further down the line perhaps.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Don't suppose he'll be too upset as presumably he'll be walking back into his old job at Plymouth very shortly after Rooney is sacked.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Stoke have made an approach for Norwich's first team coach Narcis Pelach. No real managerial experience bar a Spanish lower division side and a couple of caretaker games at Huddersfield. 
    That's a very random managerial approach.

Rumours that @bobmunro offered him the job after bumping into him on a golf trip in Malaga are as yet unconfirmed.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Stoke have made an approach for Norwich's first team coach Narcis Pelach. No real managerial experience bar a Spanish lower division side and a couple of caretaker games at Huddersfield. 
    That's a very random managerial approach.

Rumours that @bobmunro offered him the job after bumping into him on a golf trip in Malaga are as yet unconfirmed.

He has coached at Huddersfield and Norwich so does know the league, but neither of them offered him the top job. 

It does seem that if you have connections to a successful manager that massively helps. He's worked for Corboran, who in turn had worked for Bielsa.