Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD STATEMENT - Response to Invitation from the Club

Comments

• Options
    What I want to know is your son actually called Roo?
  • Options
    I have seen the comment and appreciate it. I still feel 99% could have been written the same and still agreed to meet and that would have helped. The "buyer" is wealthy, is interested in sport (turned down buying a rugby team last week), but don't get wrong idea. This was an off the cuff comment I made at a meeting about something completely different, that was received with far more interest than I imagined. I have said I will follow up with him more but it's a long shot of a fan talking to a rich person, no more at this stage. As for my wife / son, the reaction of "she's wrong there is no risk etc." Misses the point. The fact she thinks anything could happen means so do others - e.g. The Kent football parents. PR is not about right or wrong, it's about perception. Relates to the fact I think CARD should have agreed - the perception from the public is what would have mattered, not a likely pointless meeting.
  • Options
    He's actually called Rufus, it gets abbreviated, I think you met him for the second badge hand out maybe?

Two of the families are Charlton supporters, one of the kids is a Junior Red and won a ballot last year and was a mascot during a protest game, which was unfortunate, I think they normally sit in the family section but the mascot seats are at the bottom of west lower so he got a bit more exposed to the anger than normal, it was his mum's first game and she left early.

The other Charlton supporting family have been going for years, the dad used to have season tickets as long ago as premiership days and they have been two or three home games this season but won't be going tomorrow because of the protests.

The third family are not Charlton fans, the mum is Italian and the dad is not really a football guy. The kid is though and wants to go to Charlton games, they live in Woolwich.

Whether any could be described as Charlton fans, I'm not sure....Depends on your definition.
  • Options
    I also have no issue with the protests and actively participate with Rufus, I think he gets a lot from it and he understands more about the issues with the club and about the football and non-football issues as a result.

I am not saying the protests should stop, totally not. I have also assured the parents that the protests are not violent and can be enjoyable in their own right.

I am merely pointing out that the protests do stop a certain section of the support and potential support from attending.

So after Meire and RD do one, there is a decent number of people that will come that do not at present.
  • Options

He's actually called Rufus, it gets abbreviated, I think you met him for the second badge hand out maybe?

Two of the families are Charlton supporters, one of the kids is a Junior Red and won a ballot last year and was a mascot during a protest game, which was unfortunate, I think they normally sit in the family section but the mascot seats are at the bottom of west lower so he got a bit more exposed to the anger than normal, it was his mum's first game and she left early.

The other Charlton supporting family have been going for years, the dad used to have season tickets as long ago as premiership days and they have been two or three home games this season but won't be going tomorrow because of the protests.

The third family are not Charlton fans, the mum is Italian and the dad is not really a football guy. The kid is though and wants to go to Charlton games, they live in Woolwich.

Whether any could be described as Charlton fans, I'm not sure....Depends on your definition.

Fair enough, sound like fans to me.

Seems odd to me that they've been to protest games where nothing nasty happened to them or anyone else but don't want to go but that is there choice.

But if the regime ran the club properly their would be no protests.

There have been no protests so far this season either and atmosphere has been dead at the home games I've been too and the football worse.
  • Options
    Spent a memorable half hour or so with my son on my shoulders kicking the metal barriers in time to 'hey hey Roland, ooh ahh, I wanna know oh oh why you're such a naughty man.'

He loved it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My son is 10 likes football although for some f**ked up reason supports Man City anyway he comes Charlton with me occasionally and loves the protests when I ask him if he wants to come it's the first thing he asks me and when I say no he says he doesnt want to.
  • Options
    Hear, hear!!!
  • Options
    My mum is just going to have operations on both feet. My sister and my mum's husband rely on my mum. Both have blue disabled badges. '

Me and the lad are going up to help on Saturday and then for a week, I have tickets for the Coventry game I bought without realising.

Dip the whole protests and help your mum out from midday or go and help your mum out from 7pm.
  • Options
    Cambridge said:

Purchased ticket for Coventry. On my own as wife won't let my son come along as she's worried - maybe shows how outsiders are viewing matters? CARD have said they are too busy to meet me, understand but disappointed. If any of you do fancy a beer let me know which pub to go to - expecting Timbuktu top of the list so at least be original if not funny.

Rose of Denmark, if you're buying.
    I've always been prepared to listen to anyone if they supply the beer.
  • Options
    I wonder if the netting will go back up!
  • Options

Across the whole of the west stand? that will be interesting.
  • Options

Will they put up a net in front of the North Lower? This is an area with a high concentration of season ticket holders so in principle, a higher % of sympathetic supporters. To put a net up in front of them would be offensive and it could be counter productive. Will they be silly enough to insult them? Probably.

I believe the club claimed last time that supporters could have asked to move their seats and were offered some sort of compensation for having a restricted view. I wonder if they have changed their rules to now make this OK? If we know what the rules are it may help to publicise them?

If they have changed the rules, maybe give out leaflets saying if you have a restricted view because of netting just sit where you like. That will take some sorting!

• Options
    I'm 100 per cent behind the protests again - the regime have proved once again that they will not fund the squad properly - the midfield is completely inadequate and from the point Russell slander said ' we r miles away ' in pre season, we signed 2 players - magennis abd ulvestad - when at least 6 were needed - plus distracted was let go. A complete repeat of what happened with Luzon last year and a continuation from the year before. I was prepared to see what happened this year given the non network English manager and didn't want to see protests - that is now over and be happy to see a storming of the directors box - enough so enough - these clowns have to be turfed out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slade, diarra
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Slade, diarra

I quite liked what auto correct gave you in the first place! Russel Slander, and Alou Distracted!
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

I'm 100 per cent behind the protests again - the regime have proved once again that they will not fund the squad properly - the midfield is completely inadequate and from the point Russell slander said ' we r miles away ' in pre season, we signed 2 players - magennis abd ulvestad - when at least 6 were needed - plus distracted was let go. A complete repeat of what happened with Luzon last year and a continuation from the year before. I was prepared to see what happened this year given the non network English manager and didn't want to see protests - that is now over and be happy to see a storming of the directors box - enough so enough - these clowns have to be turfed out.

Not that I disagree but we made several signings after Slade said we were miles away. Botaka, Pearce, Rudd, Foley and Chicksen also came in.

We know he also wanted Henry and Thompson - two midfielders that might have made a huge difference. Henry chose Bolton and Norwich didn't loan Thompson out. That may have been down to Slade himself for not having any other options.
  • Options
    Have no doubt that CARD considered all their options before issuing the response to the invitation but my only thought is did they consider saying they would accept on the proviso that RD attended the meeting?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

DOUCHER said:

Not that I disagree but we made several signings after Slade said we were miles away. Botaka, Pearce, Rudd, Foley and Chicksen also came in.

We know he also wanted Henry and Thompson - two midfielders that might have made a huge difference. Henry chose Bolton and Norwich didn't loan Thompson out. That may have been down to Slade himself for not having any other options.
    Fair enough but I'd only class one of those (Pearce) as signed for the starting 11and keeper a given / replacement - the rest are squad fillers / cast offs so although factually incorrect, i'm happy with my sentiment / reasoning. Coventry Protest - I'm fully with it.
  • Options

Have no doubt that CARD considered all their options before issuing the response to the invitation but my only thought is did they consider saying they would accept on the proviso that RD attended the meeting?

I think the Trust have tried and exhausted that route already.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

DOUCHER said:

Don't hold me to the exact chronology - but I'm fairly sure that each time Slade made comments about the squad being 'x players short', two or three would leave before a single one came in. By the end of the window it certainly felt that our already short squad was in a net deficit.