Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton 2016 post match views

Comments

• Options
    We were turgid and didn't deserve anything. We were so poor due our non existent midfield, but that won't change until January so we'll plod along until then.

The ref gave us everything. Fed up watching Slades football.

• Options
    My eyes lit up when little Ritchie Bowman and Dick Tydeman were brought on after the first half.
    At last a bundle of energy in midfield and someone who can pick a pass.
    Sadly, Dick's bald and stooping figure reminded me how many long years have passed.
    What an absolutely dire first half.
    Does it only take a team simply harrying and chasing us down reduce us to such ineffectual mediocrity.
    We made them almost look good.
    Second half attitude change was marked, we actually looked like we wanted to win.
    Coupled with the introduction of Ajose made for a more enjoyable spectacle.
    Had we scored the first pen I think we would have gone on to win; as it was, when Ajose tucked his away we could have done with another 10 mins.
    Slade continues to look like he isn't very tactically astute and the team continue to look like they should be delivering more than they offer.
    Lookman was a little boy lost today, but he'll have days like that.
    Praise be to Magennis again for his wholehearted commitment to the cause.
    I hope he was subbed for illness or injury, otherwise Slade needs another slap.
  • Options

If you think people running half the length of the stand to call out individual players as c*nts within their earshot is justified with half the game to go then that is fair enough. I just can't be having it personally. The case of Morgan Fox is the most notable; he's a youth team product who gives 110% every single game and clearly cares about the club (can't believe a poster called him "disinterested") but also has his limitations. He had a bad game today but does he deserve the personal abuse he gets?

I can't remember the last time I saw Fox have a good game. He definitely looked disinterested today imo. As I mentioned it seems the poison has spread to the players...
  • Options

Fights in the away end in the first half, fights with stewards after the goal, a chair thrown over the scaffolding from the away end into where the away fans were exiting, and reports of aggro with Gills after the game.

Is this a Millwall match thread?
  • Options

Seemed to be a huge number of OB - walking back to the station it just seemed like the OB were everywhere - in numbers.

Said it on the roll call thread, it all stems from our last visit, recent history etc.
  • Options
    I have not got any problems with us playing 5 in midfield, as long as it includes Bottika, Lookman and Holmes. Lookman in the hole. If they are not all available, Hanlon and of course Ajose.

We knew we were playing a side with a poor defence and a bit of a local derby. I thought we would really go for it, but no. What a crap team selection.

I am also a bit doubtful about this mysterious bug that developed on the coach over to the game. To knock out half the team in an hour I am surprised that they didn't go straight to A&E!

The game itself was poor and the lack of any meaningful build up play quite shocking. If you do have 5 in MF, at least one of them should be available to receive a pass FFS.

The ground itself is one of the worst I have been to in many years. The pitch itself is so small it must just qualify as legal. The stand we were in was well past its sell by date and open. The stewards made no attempt to ask supporters to sit which meant my son did not see much of the game and my knees were giving out by the end. The area around the bars was shambolic and so small. Totally unacceptable in this day and age. Running out of beer before half time is laughable (even though not looking for one).

On the plus side the toilets were clean and the staff polite.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Gills players who would fit in nicely dahn the Valley ..

Jackson the young Gills right back is a heck of a player .. like a quicker version of Solly from years back, very promising .. SIGN HIM UP Miere .. and midfielder Billy Knott and of course Brad Dack are VERY useful ..
    also their central defender Max Ehmer, another f b g .. but not quite as b as Bauer ((:>) .. thing is, we are overloaded with central defenders ... Ehmer looks better than most of them, though Konsa had the best game I have seen from him today .. VERY powerful and committed, very good positional sense

We had Dack in our academy but gave him the heave ho so my daughter told me. Friend knows him apparently.

Not sure at what age he left us.
    Saw him giving Dillon Phillips a big hug before the game. Guessing they must have played age group stuff together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    last year at Cardiff there were OB attending from Exeter .. and at Bristol City from Birmingham .. one officer told me that he spends most winter weekends at football, never sees a game, but he loves the overtime
  • Options

The ground itself is one of the worst I have been to in many years. The pitch itself is so small it must just qualify as legal.

Bigger than ours apparently
  • Options
    Crofts is awful, he's Mark Gower II but Gower rarely played. He is the weak link for us, sound harsh but he's cheating his way through the game. He hides and plays 5 yard passes and never breaks up the oppositions play, worst player for a long time in such an influential position. I'd rather see Foley (honestly!!!) play there or a youngster with some potential. Hate to say it but Jackson is probably done as a starter but then I expect him to be made manager when they finally have no choice but to sack Slade. The ultimate fan appeasement.
  • Options
    There was also Essex police there as well, the force name was on the side of the van and it was being commented upon as everybody queued to get in.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Nug said:

Crofts is awful, he's Mark Gower II but Gower rarely played. He is the weak link for us, sound harsh but he's cheating his way through the game. He hides and plays 5 yard passes and never breaks up the oppositions play, worst player for a long time in such an influential position. I'd rather see Foley (honestly!!!) play there or a youngster with some potential. Hate to say it but Jackson is probably done as a starter but then I expect him to be made manager when they finally have no choice but to sack Slade. The ultimate fan appeasement.

You listen to Slades post-match bollox? - he basically raved about Crofts and Pearce - strange that it just so happens they are 2 players who he brought in !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

However some of the behaviour of our support, the sheep like and racist (yes downright racist, where everything done by our black players was castigated by non stop reference to their colour).

Is it snobbish and disloyal to say that our fans ought to moderate (as in stop) the racist language, the constant swearing in front of everybody, the physical provocations, and the vandalism all of which I saw and heard?

Not at all. I'd invite them to support Millwall where they allegedly may be received with open arms. They're NOT Charlton if they behave like that.
    I'd go further and film them, and get them banned from The Valley.
  • Options
    I thought Crofts did okay......
  • Options
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10628808/gillingham-1-1-charlton

Sparse highlights. Holmes penalty was way too easy to save. Soft penalty decision for the equaliser, handball and the defender should not have his arms up but on first viewing not obviously deliberate. Ajose puts it away nicely.
  • Options
    redsek said:

seth plum said:

I was taken aback by the police presence although the ones I spoke to were universally helpful.
    It may be the match was a live training exercise which would explain the overkill but the overall effect was unsettling to me.
    However some of the behaviour of our support, the sheep like and racist (yes downright racist, where everything done by our black players was castigated by non stop reference to their colour). I don't know whether the security presence was in some way provocative, it was totally targeted at Charlton fans, and if the police wanted a shameful and embarrassing reaction they certainly got it.
    Is it snobbish and disloyal to say that our fans ought to moderate (as in stop) the racist language, the constant swearing in front of everybody, the physical provocations, and the vandalism all of which I saw and heard?
    Yesterday was a shitty day in virtually every aspect of it.

Agreed, which is why I chose not to bring my two children to this fixture. This was vindicated when caught up in the trouble afterwards. I thought I must have gone to Gillingham v Millwall by mistake - until amid the bottles being chucked around a flask came whizzing through the air and reminded me it was Charlton after all.
    Probably a flask of wee from one of the caught short pensioner crowd ;)
  • Options

jdmotion said:

seth plum said:

However some of the behaviour of our support, the sheep like and racist (yes downright racist, where everything done by our black players was castigated by non stop reference to their colour).

Not at all. I'd invite them to support Millwall where they allegedly may be received with open arms. They're NOT Charlton if they behave like that.
    Hate when people say stupid things like this 'they're NOT charlton' cos someone has behaved in a different manner to what you find acceptable. Weird
    I do agree with this.

However there was some proper fucking pond life about yesterday.
  • Options
    We've got some scumbags who follow us away from home. They cannot construct a sentence without the C-word being used at least 3 times.
  • Options

jdmotion said:

seth plum said:

Hate when people say stupid things like this 'they're NOT charlton' cos someone has behaved in a different manner to what you find acceptable. Weird
    For me, the key is how they behave towards fellow fans. If they behave with contempt for other Charlton fans, e.g. at Palace last season, then you do have to wonder, because that's weird.