Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting To Know The Network (4 Part Radio Documentary) (31/1 Part 3, pg. 17)

Comments

• Options
    Clicked the link but getting a message that I blew up the Internet. Is that how Roly strikes back?
  • Options
    Interesting listen and well put together. Nothing earth shattering that we didn't already know or suspect but serves to ram home the sheer arrogance and incompetence of it all.
  • Options
    Interesting review of what happened at the time.
  • Options

Got it working now. Main revelation for me is that Peeters was told to have an easy season - just make sure we didn't get relegated. So much for Premier League ambition.

Can't wait to listen to this, saving it pre gym to fire me up!
  • Options
    Did Luzon speak so highly of KM because he knows he's next in line once KR goes? ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Confirmation that Tucudean and Bulot* were imposed on Peeters and that he was only allowed to recruit from the network when he needed to strengthen. Plus Weegie's point above - the only intention in 14/15 was to avoid relegation, just as RD is currently on record saying in relation to STVV.

Direct comment from Damian Matthew and others on the extent to which Meire is out of her depth on football matters.

I think a lot of points - like the shocking treatment of Morrison - while previously exposed will be more persuasive to some fans when also articulated by people involved on the coaching and playing side.

*who turned out to be OK once Luzon arrived
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So Riga thought the network players weren't good enough and played them even less than Powell.

No one knows why Riga didn't retain the job after keeping Charlton up, but the best guess is see above.

Peeters brought in some decent players like Buyens & Vetokele, but he knew the squad wasn't good enough & RD wouldn't let him strengthen, other than inadequate network players.

Peeters brief was to keep Charlton up. Charlton have no Premiership ambition.

Peeters was a different type of character to Powell and Riga and some players and staff didn't get on with him. Presumably, he is an abrasive character.

Peeters was presumably sacked because the results went pear shaped, he wanted to strengthen, wasn't allowed and was possibly at loggerheads with the regime. Peeters didn't rate Meire.

Luzon was brought in within 24 hours, even though Meire led Matthew to believe him & Roberts were to be in charge for a while, whilst a new manager was sought.

Polish Pete thought he was doing ok, was getting ready for the pre season tour and was told he wasn't going the next day, but had to go to St Truiden instead, no discussion.

Nothing really new to Charlton geeks like me, but still a good programme.

Pretty good summary. Left me a little disappointed but maybe I was expecting a bit too much after the first two episodes.
    Felt really sorry for Polish Pete again. What a terrible way to treat a young player.
    Confirms that this regime is poison and without ambition for the club.
  • Options
    Listened to it again and once again thought it was really well made and worth listening to if you are a Charlton supporter, not sure there is a "bombshell" in this one (like the release of the email last time round - wasn't really a bombshell I suppos but was pretty sobering to read).
  • Options
    Forcing players to leave must happen at other clubs but the way its handled is important. Its terrible to listen and find out what happened to Morrision, Church and Polish Pete. This should never happen and surprised the PFA don't do more to combat this sort of behavoiur. More evidence of RD interferring and lack of investment which ruined championship football.
  • Options
    I love that Peeters was told his only remit was to keep us up and there was no pressure on him then got the sack in January!

And who knew that George Tucudean wasn't good enough?

Although I'm sure he earnt decent money from it all, Polish Pete really suffered unfairly.....
  • Options
    HandG said:

I love that Peeters was told his only remit was to keep us up and there was no pressure on him then got the sack in January! </blockquote

I don't think you understand, Meire told us "we want to be competitive in the Championship with ambitions for the Premier League." I thought we'd been over this already :)? Peeters was sacked because he had a backbone and had made it known he needed reinforcements.

• Options
    Good work.
  • Options
    Obviously appeals to some, judging by the comments and a couple of opportunities to have yet another 'dig' for others but I don't get the point of the regurgitation. The aim being what, exactly?

Perhaps it clarified one thing, at least a previous poster thinks so - and that was Peeters getting sacked 'because he had a backbone'. I thought he was sacked because, among other failures, he was a bully and was caught making disparaging remarks about certain players during training. In fact, being a bully, I felt that was the reason he wanted Morrison out because Morrison was 'Charlton' and he really DID have a backbone and so stood up to Peeters. Depends who is writing the history, I guess.
  • Options
    Major said:

Obviously appeals to some, judging by the comments and a couple of opportunities to have yet another 'dig' for others but I don't get the point of the regurgitation. The aim being what, exactly?

Perhaps it clarified one thing, at least a previous poster thinks so - and that was Peeters getting sacked 'because he had a backbone'. I thought he was sacked because, among other failures, he was a bully and was caught making disparaging remarks about certain players during training. In fact, being a bully, I felt that was the reason he wanted Morrison out because Morrison was 'Charlton' and he really DID have a backbone and so stood up to Peeters. Depends who is writing the history, I guess.

I'd guess what you say is also true. However, if RD wanted Peeters to stay he would have.
  • Options
    When's the 4th one out?

Didn't listen to 3rd due to the reaction here that there isn't really much learnt from it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:

When's the 4th one out?

Didn't listen to 3rd due to the reaction here that there isn't really much learnt from it.

Don't believe everything you read on here. Might be a revelation for you :)
  • Options
    I can't help but like Riga. Seems a thoroughly nice geezer and a decent manager
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So happy for this. Most of the podcasts I listen to are politically based, and I'm starting to get burned out on the dumpster fire that is my country at the moment. Will probably end up quite depressed after listening, but at least it will be a different kind of depressed.
  • Options

Major said:

I'd guess what you say is also true. However, if RD wanted Peeters to stay he would have.
    Good point.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Major said:

I can't find too much fault in the second paragraph, you're welcome to your interpretation - and to be fair I think there's some merit in what you're saying. I suspect his bullying antics were a big concern for the club, especially if his objective was solely to keep us up.

However I think you're being a bit unfair saying that there's little to be gained from what is essentially "regurgitation". As someone who clearly feels there's an agenda behind most of the posters, surely you can understand the real value that comes from having these events explained first hand? After all, there is very little question over the credibility of what is mentioned.

As for the aim, surely you can see the aim is simply to gain an understanding in to how our club is currently being ran. Nothing more, nothing less. If things were being done sensibly and correctly then there would be very little to complain about would there? Unfortunately, as per the first hand accounts, the majority of the fears and rumours are indeed correct.
    Fair comment but I am just someone who wants to move forward and have thoroughly taken on board all the mortifying mistakes that have occurred and don't need to be told about them again and again. But that is just me. I also happen to sense (imagine?) some improvement, so I am not entirely sure it is accurate to say the Peeters era is how the club is currently being run. Clutching at straws? maybe - but dwelling in a negative past is something I don't quite understand as I want the club to move forward. I hope that explains the opening paragraph of my previous post.
  • Options
    If that is all you can find to pick on, I am delighted. Especially since you actually think your opinion is reality.
  • Options
    Just listened.

What is clearer by the minute is that Roland Duchatelets brain is like an egg shell filled with manure.