Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting To Know The Network (4 Part Radio Documentary) (31/1 Part 3, pg. 17)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I think the plan was to be like Udinese/Watford and if RD had carried out his plan professionally and competently, it might have worked. But you can't have a big club like Charlton, run by a bunch of clueless amateurs.

If you had the likes of Varney, Powell and Chapple instead of Meire, foreign coaches and Driesen, it would have been better and may have even worked (up to a point).
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I think the plan was to be like Udinese/Watford and if RD had carried out his plan professionally and competently, it might have worked. But you can't have a big club like Charlton, run by a bunch of clueless amateurs.

If you had the likes of Varney, Powell and Chapple instead of Meire. foreign coaches and Driesen, it would have been better and may have even worked (up to a point).

As I understand it, though, aren't Udinese and Watford equal partners in the Pozzo family network? It's clear now that Charlton were only ever a feeder club in Duchâtelet's warped version of the idea, and when Liège were sold, the whole thing imploded.
  • Options
    I find it ironic that the only network stooge I warmed to was Karel Fraeye, considering how much I disliked him while he was the "interim one" , and how much of a twat Luzon comes across as I kind of thought he was alright when he was here.
  • Options

There are plenty of Standard fans who didnt buy into Bart Lagae's view at all. When RD bought us they assumed that We would be his focus because an FAPL Charlton would generate far more revenue than Standard could ever do ( the Valley capacity is nearly that of Schlessin too). RD started flogging off a lot of good players and pocketed a €20m dividend from Standard. I haven't heard the latest part but if that's Jimmy's conclusion, I cannot agree on this point - and I am one of several people who have met Bart. Also it was the view of Douglas De Coninck a news journo who has interviewed RD 3 times, that the real issue with Standard ownership was STVV gaining promotion. He told me that the owners of the other big clubs all hate RD, and no way were they going to let him pretend STVV wasnt his.

I think that RD was and is making it up as he went along, and did whatever he thought was best for his bank balance. Nothing more than that.

Maybe listen to it first? Not saying I'm sold on this point, but worth considering the evidence of people who were involved.
  • Options

Fraeye said first time he was at Charlton with Riga team spirit was good and the crowd were behind them.

When he returned it was toxic. The players hadn't been recruited to form a team. The policy was to recruit young foreign players who could increase in value. Many players didn't care whether they were playing or not, but were happy to live in London. Fraeye said it was a high risk strategy.

Duchatelet wasn't interested in building a balanced squad.

To start the season with Bauer, Sarr & Diarra as your only centre halves was high risk as two of them had never played in England.

Luzon confirmed that Driesen had the final say on player recruitment.

Luzon, Peeters, Fraeye all confirmed that the squads weren't big enough, good enough and relied too heavily on young players that weren't ready.

What did he expect? He was an integral part of the network. If he had any grasp of professional football, he could have understood that their deluded, cut price methodology was only ever going to produce a shambles.

Duchâtelet is a prick, but Fraeye chose to go along with him for an opportunity that he didn't deserve and could never have got on his own.

Fraeye comes across as an unctious little worm who will say anything to cover his own back. Textbook Duchâtelet stooge material, in other words
    Fraeye was employed in the network and when asked/told to be 'interim' manager he took his chance. Possibly if he refused he would have lost his job. I cannot see how you might say he was an 'integral part of the network' as there were many others. Anyway for what it's worth he thought that the recruitment system was let us say, not brilliant..... However he got on with it and did the best he could with what he found which shocked him. He is not rewriting history here as I can confirm. He failed to overcome all the problems that the other coaches encountered but in my opinion he had the worst squad and was denied the players that he wanted to bring in such as Yann (this has been confirmed by others) and Tomlin (good player) who went to Bristol City and helped turn them around and this has harmed his career. Obviously he would have been better off not signing a contract with Duchatelet but we all make decisions that don't go well.
    Of course to some on here anyone connected to the regime in any way is considered in a derogatory manner.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Fraeye said first time he was at Charlton with Riga team spirit was good and the crowd were behind them.

When he returned it was toxic. The players hadn't been recruited to form a team. The policy was to recruit young foreign players who could increase in value. Many players didn't care whether they were playing or not, but were happy to live in London. Fraeye said it was a high risk strategy.

To start the season with Bauer, Sarr & Diarra as your only centre halves was high risk as two of them had never played in England.

Luzon, Peeters, Fraeye all confirmed that the squads weren't big enough, good enough and relied too heavily on young players that weren't ready.

What did he expect? He was an integral part of the network. If he had any grasp of professional football, he could have understood that their deluded, cut price methodology was only ever going to produce a shambles.

Duchâtelet is a prick, but Fraeye chose to go along with him for an opportunity that he didn't deserve and could never have got on his own.

Fraeye comes across as an unctious little worm who will say anything to cover his own back. Textbook Duchâtelet stooge material, in other words
    Fraeye was employed in the network and when asked/told to be 'interim' manager he took his chance. Possibly if he refused he would have lost his job. I cannot see how you might say he was an 'integral part of the network' as there were many others. Anyway for what it's worth he thought that the recruitment system was let us say, not brilliant..... However he got on with it and did the best he could with what he found which shocked him. He is not rewriting history here as I can confirm. He failed to overcome all the problems that the other coaches encountered but in my opinion he had the worst squad and was denied the players that he wanted to bring in such as Yann (this has been confirmed by others) and Tomlin (good player) who went to Bristol City and helped turn them around and this has harmed his career. Obviously he would have been better off not signing a contract with Duchatelet but we all make decisions that don't go well.
    Of course to some on here anyone connected to the regime in any way is considered in a derogatory manner.

Guess who's back.... back again....
  • Options
    cantersaddick..... do pardon me posting a comment. I will ask you if I can post again sometime - not that I would take any notice of you, or are you being ironic or humorous like someone claimed on your behalf before after I called you a 'sad c**t for acting like one (not saying that you are a c**t by the way with respect....)
  • Options
    edited March 2017

cantersaddick..... do pardon me posting a comment. I will ask you if I can post again sometime - not that I would take any notice of you, or are you being ironic or humorous like someone claimed on your behalf before after I called you a 'sad c**t for acting like one (not saying that you are a c**t by the way with respect....)

Dear Mr Pete.

Feel free to post comments whenever you feel the need. I was simply remarking on your rather desperate (lol) attempts to defend Mr Fraeye every time his name appears.

I did also enjoy the time you called me a Cnut after a tweet of mine was made part of someone's storify after Fraeyes twitter was found. It was made even more hilarious by the fact that you had no idea which tweet was mine and so had no clue what I'd actually said to him.

Regards

Canters.
  • Options
    The whole thing is a fantastic piece of work.

But, the conclusion I thought they had drawn to is that Roland bought us to be a feeder club to Standard, which was everyones initial worry 3 years ago.

If that's the case, he sold Standard in June 2015. Why does he still own us and what has been his thinking since then?
  • Options

Dear Mr Pete.

Feel free to post comments whenever you feel the need. I was simply remarking on your rather desperate (lol) attempts to defend Mr Fraeye every time his name appears.

I did also enjoy the time you called me a Cnut after a tweet of mine was made part of someone's storify after Fraeyes twitter was found. It was made even more hilarious by the fact that you had no idea which tweet was mine and so had no clue what I'd actually said to him.

Regards

Canters.
    Dear Canters,

Thank you for your kind permission to post when I feel the need.
    Incidentally the issue with the tweet was not what you said (for which I care not) but for the way you enthusiastically reported the success of tweeting on here. If I was mistaken in my opinion of your behaviour at the time then I apologise.

Love

DP
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Dear SDAddick,
    I just didn't want you to feel left out of the memo game. You're not perfect, but you keep doing you. One day at a time.

Stay classy big guy.

Sincerely,
    Yourself

P.S. don't forget to take the rubbish out to the bins.

Dear SDAddick,

Nah m8 you're a cnut
  • Options

Part 4 is an incredible piece of work. Interesting to have it confirmed that "the network" was all about propping up Standard Liège.

This is the pilot for the TV show Charlton's press team were told by Katrien Meire to attend meetings for - amazing but somehow not surprising that someone that's tried to take advantage of the drive get more women into football governance tried to rope our club into this risible lecherous shite.

She is simply fantastic, isn't she?

Not quite sure what the programme was intended to be other than a complete perv-fest to be honest.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Dear SDAddick,
    I just didn't want you to feel left out of the memo game. You're not perfect, but you keep doing you. One day at a time.

Stay classy big guy.

Sincerely,
    Yourself

P.S. don't forget to take the rubbish out to the bins.

Dear SDAddick,

Nah m8 you're a cnut
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That pilot programme has just triggered a thought: is it simply KM's ambition to become a WAG? Worked for Karen Brady, after all...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    A good listen but a bit disappointed there wasn't really any stuff about what has happened since Riga left for the second time.

On the surface at least there appears to have been something of a change of approach to the playing side - more British based players signed, 2 Britiosh based managers appointed. Some things still stay the same though - the fact we're on our second permanent manager within 12 months for example, even if they are/were both brits, and the continued failure to deliver consistent good results one the pitch. It'd would have been interesting to hear some eye witness accounts of what has changed and what hasn't behind the scenes over the last 12 months or so, and why those changes haven't made things really any better.

I know we all have heard snippets and can to some extent join the dots ion our own head, but it would have been good if some people like Russell Slade, for example, had spoken to dismantle the idea that the club has 'learnt lessons'.

*EDIT* I should add, I think Jimmy and his team have done a fantastic job on this and I'm sure it took a hell of a lot of time and effort to pull it all together. I imagine the process may have started even before Slade was appointed so I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing Jimmy for not covering the last 6 to 12 months because he has a life to lead as well, just saying that for me it is the missing piece of the story and I'd be very interested to hear it if a part 5 can ever be made
  • Options
    Let's hope Part 5 is after he has sold and Jimmy can tell us why it didn't work with British managers either. Then we have the party!
  • Options
    It maybe that Slade cannot say anything under the terms of his severance.

It may need a year before he can tell the truth.
  • Options
    I've listened to the first three parts at least 2x each. Can't wait to start in on Part 4 this evening.

• Options

He might have been tenuously 'employed in the network' but he was actually managing a club outside of Roland's little incestuous world when he got the call. His real employers were VW Hamme and he left them rapidly when Roly clicked his fingers. Not surprising since he was doing a really bad job there and their results picked up after he left. Ours took a nosedive as you'd expect when someone who is totally clueless takes over a job that's far to big for them.
  • Options

SCP at his best again in the last two minutes, inspiring words, his fourth return in whatever capacity cannot come soon enough for me.

Was he still in a job at Huddersfield when Varney says he had a management team lined up as part of the proposed takeover? Would be fascinating to know who Varney's buyer intended to appoint.

Someone who would please the fans suggest to me some form of ex player or manager involvement. Curbs upstairs maybe?