Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

****Confirmed: Russell Slade Sacked****

Comments

• Options

Whomsoever is appointed I am kind of looking forward to Meire's response if she is asked about Slade.
    Will she add him to all the other managers who have gone before during her time here as having been the right decision (every time)?

As they specifically thanked him for his efforts at the training ground etc. I would assume this will be the element of his brief period with us that they will claim took the club in the right direction......which, by the way is the opposite direction the rest of us want to be going in!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    So who was in charge of training today?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    SDAddick said:

I suspect Slade's limitations would have not been so apparent had we had another midfileder with the right attributes. His problem was that he had some things he could have tried (palying Ba and Tex for instance). Fans would have seen he was trying and been more positive about him. Being so limited tactically, he needed to be sacked as we need to pick up as many points between now and the next window with what we have. But the ownership can't stick all the blame on him, had he been properly backed it may have been so different.

This is my problem with the traditional British manager. It's always about "one or two more players," just doing a little more work in the transfer market, getting a couple lads in to improve the side. This is a man who signed Crofts and tried to sign Foley out the gate to play in central midfield, pressumably on not insignificant wages. Neither are naturally a holding midfielder, neither a defensive midfielder, and they're much of a muchness, particularly with Jacko thrown into the mix. He then spent seemingly six weeks chasing only Louis Thompson, who on transfer deadline day definitively decided to stay at Norwich. Six weeks on one target. You'd expect the man was a world beater.

We went through pre-season and the start of the season with no patterns of play, no clear attack other than lump it forward or get it to Ade or Holmes to do something special. We got better, but still not particularly good. Our squad is far from perfect, but it is Slade's making. And his biggest failure was to convincingly coach the team.
    In fairness to Slade, the fact he was appointed late meant he was always going to be struggling. It felt to me that after Ajose, Holmes and Novak the regime were never going to invest a great deal more. With all the players that left, he had multiple holes to plug and I think in respect to Foley and Crofts particularly, it was a case of them or nothing, because time was getting on and he wouldn't have had much opportunity to find better for little cost. The reason he was probably chasing Thompson was because he would have been a cheap but decent loan option. It's also hard to criticise him for doing this as we have no idea on what was going on behind the scenes with this. For all we know promises may have been made from Thompson's camp but he let us down at the last minute.

The bottom line is, we ARE one or two players away from a decent first team at this level. If we could all see that our main problem was central midfield, then I'm sure Slade himself could see it. Of course this does not let him off for his bad decisions in games, his often poor team selection and his negative tactics. I'm hoping that whoever comes in can quickly find a solution to our midfield issues and will also understand how to get the best out of Nicky Ajose (if his head isn't completely gone already).
  • Options

Wednesday is usually their day off @Chris_from_Sidcup.

Who took it yesterday or will take it tomorrow I don't know but guess it's with David Nugent or Simon Clark
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Who took it yesterday or will take it tomorrow I don't know but guess it's with David Nugent or Simon Clark
    I wish we did have David Nugent in our team!

Kevin Nugent may have been brought in by Slade, but he's not worked exclusively with Slade. After Orient sacked Slade, he was interim there for one game, then went back to a coaching role, and never followed Slade to Cardiff.

If a team is underperforming on the pitch, sacking the manager but putting his assistant in charge rarely seems to work, unless the problem is entirely a personality one and not a tactical/training one...
  • Options
    I expect the delay in making the latest 3 month appointment is due to the number of applicants KM is having to trawl through.
    Even Sir Alex Ferguson has pleaded to become the new...er..... Alex Ferguson.
    So, in the words of the most recent departure, patience, fellow addicks, because the next appointment is going to be so great, it's going to be spectacular, only I can fix this, it's going to make Charlton great again. ( © D Trump)
  • Options

I wish we did have David Nugent in our team!

Kevin Nugent may have been brought in by Slade, but he's not worked exclusively with Slade. After Orient sacked Slade, he was interim there for one game, then went back to a coaching role, and never followed Slade to Cardiff.

If a team is underperforming on the pitch, sacking the manager but putting his assistant in charge rarely seems to work, unless the problem is entirely a personality one and not a tactical/training one...
    Ken Cragg's assistant did ok as his assistants
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

I suspect Slade's limitations would have not been so apparent had we had another midfileder with the right attributes. His problem was that he had some things he could have tried (palying Ba and Tex for instance). Fans would have seen he was trying and been more positive about him. Being so limited tactically, he needed to be sacked as we need to pick up as many points between now and the next window with what we have. But the ownership can't stick all the blame on him, had he been properly backed it may have been so different.

This is my problem with the traditional British manager. It's always about "one or two more players," just doing a little more work in the transfer market, getting a couple lads in to improve the side. This is a man who signed Crofts and tried to sign Foley out the gate to play in central midfield, pressumably on not insignificant wages. Neither are naturally a holding midfielder, neither a defensive midfielder, and they're much of a muchness, particularly with Jacko thrown into the mix. He then spent seemingly six weeks chasing only Louis Thompson, who on transfer deadline day definitively decided to stay at Norwich. Six weeks on one target. You'd expect the man was a world beater.

We went through pre-season and the start of the season with no patterns of play, no clear attack other than lump it forward or get it to Ade or Holmes to do something special. We got better, but still not particularly good. Our squad is far from perfect, but it is Slade's making. And his biggest failure was to convincingly coach the team.
    In fairness to Slade, the fact he was appointed late meant he was always going to be struggling. It felt to me that after Ajose, Holmes and Novak the regime were never going to invest a great deal more. With all the players that left, he had multiple holes to plug and I think in respect to Foley and Crofts particularly, it was a case of them or nothing, because time was getting on and he wouldn't have had much opportunity to find better for little cost. The reason he was probably chasing Thompson was because he would have been a cheap but decent loan option. It's also hard to criticise him for doing this as we have no idea on what was going on behind the scenes with this. For all we know promises may have been made from Thompson's camp but he let us down at the last minute.

The bottom line is, that we ARE one or two players away from a decent first team at this level. If we could all see that our main problem was central midfield, then I'm sure Slade himself could see it. Of course this does not let him off for his bad decisions in games, his often poor team selection and his negative tactics. I'm hoping that whoever comes in can quickly find a solution to our midfield issues and will also understand how to get the best out of Nicky Ajose (if his head isn't completely gone already).
    if that were the case then why let diarra go after the deadline.
  • Options
    braydex said:

Just out of interest, and I apologise in advance if this has already been asked....has an interim Manager been announced or has Nugent just assumed this position? I cant see anything in CAFC's statement that refers to this which would either indicate that yet again, they have forgotten this important piece of information or that they intend(ed) to appoint someone before Saturday?

I mean, who is taking training?

Blackpool72 is doing it apparantly.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

According to Jim White or one of the other pundits (Tony Cascarino and a Sports journalist) Evans had spoken to Charlton but had plumped for Mansfield.

Lets savour this for a moment.
    (forget it was Evans)
    Mansfield Town were chosen ahead of us.

Thanks Roland

Don't be so disrespectful, it's 'the mighty Mansfield Town'.
  • Options

braydex said:

Just out of interest, and I apologise in advance if this has already been asked....has an interim Manager been announced or has Nugent just assumed this position? I cant see anything in CAFC's statement that refers to this which would either indicate that yet again, they have forgotten this important piece of information or that they intend(ed) to appoint someone before Saturday?

I mean, who is taking training?

Blackpool72 is doing it apparantly.
    Yes and i am making you the next club mascot.

Elfy Addick,and you have to wear a red and white tutu
  • Options
    edited November 2016

SDAddick said:

The bottom line is, that we ARE one or two players away from a decent first team at this level. If we could all see that our main problem was central midfield, then I'm sure Slade himself could see it. Of course this does not let him off for his bad decisions in games, his often poor team selection and his negative tactics. I'm hoping that whoever comes in can quickly find a solution to our midfield issues and will also understand how to get the best out of Nicky Ajose (if his head isn't completely gone already).
    I do agree with this but I also have a problem with the fact that the issue was/is so pronounced - why not look to see if Ba could help address - whatever his attitude. Why take so long to bring Tex in when he is our best centre half? I know he has been injured but Pearce was not fully fit on Saturday and played and Tex was fit and didn't get any time on the pitch!
  • Options

SDAddick said:

The most likely scenario is they wanted him off the wage bill. Everything is guesswork with these people in charge, hence why we should not be so quick to judge when there is little info.
  • Options
    Rejected by the convicted criminal and FA rule breaker Steve Evans - says it all really.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

I do agree with this but I also have a problem with the fact that the issue was/is so pronounced - why not look to see if Ba could help address - whatever his attitude. Why take so long to bring Tex in when he is our best centre half? I know he has been injured but Pearce was not fully fit on Saturday and played and Tex was fit and didn't get any time on the pitch!
    Clearly there is an issue with Tex. I don't know what that issue is, perhaps it is an appearance thing, perhaps Slade didn't get on with him for some reason. Again, it's guesswork. It will be interesting to see if the situation changes when a new manager takes over.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

The most likely scenario is they wanted him off the wage bill. Everything is guesswork with these people in charge, hence why we should not be so quick to judge when there is little info.
    "No more major departures"
    Cue the only cafc player in our entire history to have played in a World Cup final had his contract terminated the first day after the window shuts.
    A player that plays in a position where we had sold our player of the year in that window, knowingly had kahsi sidelined until the new year at least, leaving us with 3 players for that position who's movement are akin to those of a tectonic plate.

No apologies from me for judging so quick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

Cue the only cafc player in our entire history to have played in a World Cup final had his contract terminated the first day after the window shuts.
    A player that plays in a position where we had sold our player of the year in that window, knowingly had kahsi sidelined until the new year at least, leaving us with 3 players for that position who's movement are akin to those of a tectonic plate.

You forgot that we only have Flash Foley on a 5 month contract until January.
  • Options

Didn't the delightful Ms Meire pass it off by mentioning Diarra was 35, frequently injured and unlikely to play many games?
    Something like that.

Perhaps, the move was instigated by Diarra himself, fed up with the circus and having already found a new club in France who were keen to use his experience.
    And our CEO jumped at the chance to get his wages off the books.

Perhaps.

• Options

SDAddick said:

Well I'm not gonna argue because we are clearly on the same side. So many players were released without proper replacements. The team recruitment started well then just fizzed out which left us in a position where we were lacking in certain areas. Releasing Diarra was a ridiculous decision considering he was one of our most consistent players. One of the many negative things this mob has proven since they have been in charge is that they are not capable of making key decisions where the playing squad is concerned. How much of this was down to Russell Slade is questionable however.
  • Options

I believe they did back him, and let him have a free reign (obviously transfer budgets aside)
    Good guy, but just not upto the job, tactically, and of giving us the momentum to gain promotion at the 1st attempt.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

SDAddick said:

Well I'm not gonna argue because we are clearly on the same side. So many players were released without proper replacements. The team recruitment started well then just fizzed out which left us in a position where we were lacking in certain areas. Releasing Diarra was a ridiculous decision considering he was one of our most consistent players. One of the many negative things this mob has proven since they have been in charge is that they are not capable of making key decisions where the playing squad is concerned. How much of this was down to Russell Slade is questionable however.
    If Diarra had stayed, he'd still be injured. Only a move away from the club allows players like Diarra to instantly regain fitness.
    Not true.

He's already played in a number of games for his new club, AS Nancy-Lorraine, in Ligue 1.

Edit: Just read the last line of your post again.

Sorry.

• Options
    Played 3 scored 2 for Nancy, Better then Lee Novak already
  • Options
    DA9 said:

I believe they did back him, and let him have a free reign (obviously transfer budgets aside)
    Good guy, but just not upto the job, tactically, and of giving us the momentum to gain promotion at the 1st attempt.
    They backed him to a point, much like they've done with other managers. For me it was the same old story, bring in a few decent players but fail to allow the manager to build a properly balanced team. It happened with Peeters and Luzon previously and it happened again with Slade.

I completely agree with your final sentence.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I think balance is the key/problem word when it comes to this regime and it has been an issue with different managers so they can't duck the blame.