Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karl Robinson (Ed. Page 79 - GONE- Mutual Consent)

Comments

• Options
    Karl being ex Charlton he will blame us for playing shite on the Telly.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

If they lose today and at Wycombe next week, KR will be out of work.

Ah .... so you're Mystic Meg.

Perhaps you can help me with the winning lottery numbers for next Saturday, please?

?
    Been there, done that.
  • Options

Lots of Oxford fans, like many Charlton fans, clearly don't understand that Karl has passion and that is the main thing you need as a manager.

Clearly it’s the players fault, not even Sir Alex or Mourinho could get anything more of this Oxford squad.
  • Options
    Same old bullshit from the master of bullshit .
  • Options

Same old bullshit from the master of bullshit .

I pretend that I really don't give a shit..but hey ho,it makes for good reading & he was a gobby tosser to boot...keep em coming boys & girls...;)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I'll say one thing for Karl... looks like he has lost weight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:
    I'll say one thing for Karl... looks like he has lost weight.
    AND lost the plot.....again.
  • Options

Valley11 said:

I don’t fully get the thing with Robinson
    Personally I thought he was an alright bloke. Full of hot air and a very average manager but not in the Pardew league of knob.
    Don’t wish him any bad luck. He’s just a meh part of our history.

Robinson is a pound shop Pardew. Full of bullshit, loves attention, cameras, drama etc and always got an excuse for his unmotivated and unorganised team.

If, and it’s a fuckin big if, we get back to where we belong one day, he’ll the bit we look at and say “core those were dark days”.
    There were much darker days than Karl! Karel being amongst the darkest, made Dave Hockaday look a good appointment
  • Options
    I thought he came across well at the Bromley meeting last November, but he was playing to a receptive audience & a good initial opening run had put us in the top 3 or 4.

However, it can't be a coincidence that both us & Oxford show bad runs of form & its not like he didnt have full pre-seasons with either club to bring in the players he wanted.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Oakster said:

Valley11 said:

Personally I thought he was an alright bloke. Full of hot air and a very average manager but not in the Pardew league of knob.

His first interview as Charlton manager....

The owner was very, very good in what he said to me,” he says. “Katrien has been phenomenal in everything I’ve asked. All the things I’d heard about [before I came], haven’t been the case. I think if you asked them both they’d say maybe they underestimated how things worked in England and that’s where things fell down a little bit.”

What else is he going to say at the first interview- " Ive taken the job because I realised that Katrien is useless, everything Ive heard about her has been true, and its just a question of time before I get shafted. What a shambles I cant see that they have learned anything since they arrived in England, but at least I will get some compo when they realise I am just a well meaning bag of wind, with limited tactical nouse and inevitably sack me. Yes Its great to be here..... next question..... no I know nothing about the Naby Sarr rumour.... next question....no I have no control about the number of chips...... next!"
  • Options

That hissing noise you can hear is the sound of the last gasps of air being drained from Karl's credibility.

He will be sacked within weeks at Oxford and then gets his feet under the sofa at Sky in some kind of lower league pundit role.

Some of the abuse he copped on here was a bit excessive and childish at times and he isn't in the same league as Pardew in terms of being a vile human being but he is his own worst enemy really in terms of the crap he comes out with.

It's a shame for Karl but the game is about results and he has not been getting them for about a year now either at Charlton or Oxford and that only leads to one outcome.

This

Remember it was Robbo who brought Bowyer back to the club. At the time I questioned it. The most unlikely ex player to cross over to management. I now hope like Bailey, Curbs and Powell Bow can develop into a Charlton legend. The appointment of JJ was more obvious.

We must also give him credit for recruiting Gallen. I am more and more impressed with him as time goes on. His recommended signings have been much better than I anticipated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Actually quite liked him, just clueless when it came to tactics.
  • Options
    The football I witnessed under Robinson was almost unwatchable - a lot of possession but never in dangerous areas and no attacking threat.

What made it worse was the utter garbage he came out with in interviews.

He seems to have been cut a lot of slack on the basis of being a chatty bloke you could have a beer with and the fact that he signed a few players not all of whom were useless.

As others have said he'll probably end up as a pundit on Talksport or R5 where he can be a Scouse version of Robbie Savage.
  • Options

I didn't like Robinson before he joined us, but I was prepared to give him a chance once he was appointed manager. I found his IX to be more entertaining than Slade's IX, but the football was largely ineffective when it came to trying to win games.

Imagine what he could have done without the two man handicap!
  • Options
    edited September 2018

I didn't like Robinson before he joined us, but I was prepared to give him a chance once he was appointed manager. I found his IX to be more entertaining than Slade's IX, but the football was largely ineffective when it came to trying to win games.

One of Robinson's major flaws, is his unwillingness to adopt any sort of pragmatism when it comes to tactics. He is rigidly set in his ways. I believe he is like this, as he has an idea of how football should be played, and he tries to build a club on this idea. He's definitely more in the Guardiola/ Wenger school of thought than the Conte/Mourinho school of thought. Being in the Guardiola/Wenger school of thought is great, as long as you have owners that are willing to give you time to build the club around your ideas, and have the financial muscle to allow you to purchase the players you need for your ideas to work. Unfortunately for Robinson, the majority of owners won't afford a manager time to do this. Robinson had 5 years at Milton Keynes to build the club how he wanted it, he won't be afforded this time again. Since failing at Charlton, and not meeting expectations at Oxford, how many owners are going to trust Karl with their money to build a team around his ideas? Not many, I presume.

It isn't just Robinson's tactical rigidness that is a major flaw, it's the way he conducts himself. The main reason I didn't warm to Robinson was that I found him extremely disingenuous. Whenever he was interviewed, he reminded me of a politician i.e. trying to say what he thinks the people want to hear and denying all culpability when things were going wrong. I found him extremely patronising in the way he treated us fans. He assumed as long as he said what he thought we wanted to hear, we would all be content. Wrong! He is all style and no substance. Another reason I didn't warm to Robinson, is that he's definitely one of those characters who wants to share in all the glory when times are good, but when times are tough, he's nowhere to be seen. His behaviour away at Doncaster particularly irked me. We conceded in the last minute, and as soon as the final whistle blew, Robinson didn't even acknowledge us fans, and dissapeared straight down the tunnel. I can understand that he was angry, but at the very least, you acknowledge the fans. This isn't the only case of Robinson doing this, and this behavior has continued at Oxford.

If Robinson can be more pragmatic with his tactics, or a find an owner willing to give him more than 2 years to implement his ideas, and adopt a more nuanced approach with the way he conducts himself, he may still have a chance to achieve something at a League 1 club. Good luck to him.

Arrgghhh !!!!!

Foiled by @daveydanger.

Although I'll highlight that the same problem seems to have existed for Slade.

Giving the opposition a two man advantage possibly isn't the wisest move....

• Options
    edited September 2018
    The bloke is a chancer who likes the sound of his own voice, never really warmed to him particularly as he had never played the game in the top four English divisions or equivalent elsewhere. And before anyone quotes exceptions to the rule such as Mourinho, Wenger and our own Lenny to me as success stories (notwithstanding some respected coaches KR has worked under), the intransigent, Teflon (non-stick) Robinson will always be up against it having to call upon his playing experiences with Kidsgrove Athletic and the such like.
  • Options
    I sat next to an old Oxford supporting friend at The Oval on Friday who thanked me ironically as a Charlton fan for letting his team have our manager!

His views mirrored everyone else's: inflexible, over-talkative and blameless.

You'd think that after this job he won't find any new takers but the world of football management is a funny one and he'll no doubt inflict more of the same on another club very soon.
  • Options

Funnily enough, recently (Bromley meeting, perhaps?) Lee Bowyer said he thought Karl Robinson was a very good coach.
    Perhaps he meant: Okay, crap manager. But a very good coach.