Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New fiver not suitable for vegetarians.

Comments

• Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

I don't wish to have to use animal products when there is no need so to do. There are non animal alternatives to tallow.
    What don't you understand. The use of tallow is an unnecessary imposition on those who don't want to for ethical, or for religious reasons, use these notes.
    It's an extreme, to me, statement from the powers that be that my position is worthless. Well ok don't expect me to rush in support of anything else the government demands support over.

But The alternative is much worse for animals in the wild and their welfare....

The 15th use means that the animal is well and truly dead before the tallow is used and either way it'll stay dead.
    And. I. Don't. Wish. To. Be. Complicit. In. Any. Unnecessary. Use. Of. Animal. Products.
    Why don't you actually read what I say. Don't come up with these spurious stupid arguments. You're happy to use unnecessary animal products in the production of bank notes, I'm not. I have ethical reasons for this that mean whether it's first or millionth use I am compromised by these fivers.
    Please let that sink in to your so far unthinking brain.
    Seth. Are we getting vitriol against carnivores here ?

If you look there's 18 pages on this thread. In each one there are several digs at vegetarians, vegans, me. Occasionally I snap back. But if you counted I'm certain there's much more "vitriol" aimed at the non meat eaters.
  • Options

seth plum said:

It is mentioned above thst tallow alternative would be a worse option. Would it? What is the purpose of the tallow in the notes anyway? I read it is a small amount anyway. I don't know, but maybe candlewax or soap would do the trick. If we are discussing tiny amounts of stuff then in the future could there not be an alternative?
    Failing that, maybe instead of leaving one's body to medical research, maybe people could leave themselves to banknotes, perhaps for a small fee.

Natural ingredient compared to fossil fuel derived material with a carbon footprint?

Cows do fart a lot though.

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

I don't wish to have to use animal products when there is no need so to do. There are non animal alternatives to tallow.
    What don't you understand. The use of tallow is an unnecessary imposition on those who don't want to for ethical, or for religious reasons, use these notes.
    It's an extreme, to me, statement from the powers that be that my position is worthless. Well ok don't expect me to rush in support of anything else the government demands support over.

The 15th use means that the animal is well and truly dead before the tallow is used and either way it'll stay dead.
    And. I. Don't. Wish. To. Be. Complicit. In. Any. Unnecessary. Use. Of. Animal. Products.
    Why don't you actually read what I say. Don't come up with these spurious stupid arguments. You're happy to use unnecessary animal products in the production of bank notes, I'm not. I have ethical reasons for this that mean whether it's first or millionth use I am compromised by these fivers.

If you look there's 18 pages on this thread. In each one there are several digs at vegetarians, vegans, me. Occasionally I snap back. But if you counted I'm certain there's much more "vitriol" aimed at the non meat eaters.
    I'll give you digs. I'll even give you 70% of them but I won't give you vitriol. That's rediculous.

• Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

Possibly, maybe probably.
  • Options
    We already import 5000 tonnes of coconut oil per year.
    Each banknote uses .000007 of a gram.
    Seeing as how there is already a large import of coconut oil it might not make hardly any difference.
  • Options
    Me thinks this is a plot by Katrien in the hope that people part with their fivers for 'football for a fiver'.
  • Options
    #coconutlivesmatter
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

I'll give you digs. I'll even give you 70% of them but I won't give you vitriol. That's rediculous.

I did put vitriol in quotation marks for a reason.
  • Options
    On a different tack, the company that makes the banknote polymer substrate material, Innovia, is being (has been?) bought by a Canadian company called CCL Industries. It is, of course, entirely coincidental that the Governor of the BoE is Canadian.

In comparison, a story from the dark ages of the 1980s. The BoE used to hand out those little book matches with a BoE/Britannia logo at lunches and dinners held for the great and the good. These to light the postprandial cigars which were also dolled out.

Now Bryant and May were the last manufacturers of these things in the UK. But they shut the operation and the little books of matches now had "Made in Canada" printed on them. An honoured guest took great pleasure in haranguing the Deputy Governor (they only needed one of those back then), Sir George Blunden, and said, "Look, you even have to get your matches made in Canada"!
    Blunden was furious and insisted that a UK product was found: something that was impossible because it just wasn't made here. Eventually the matches were sourced in the Far East with the matches and covers provided separately. A friendly local printer added the "Made in Britain" bit along with the logo and stapled the bits together. Blunden was again a happy man. I wonder what he'd have made of the BoE being run by a Canadian, it's banknote production outsourced and its polymer produced by a company owned by a Canadian one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Seeing as how there is already a large import of coconut oil it might not make hardly any difference.

Like tallow, you mean?

• Options

seth plum said:

Like tallow, you mean?

Well no, not like tallow because coconuts are not animals.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Like tallow, you mean?

Well no, not like tallow because coconuts are not animals.
    #coconutlivesmatter
  • Options
    I don't give a monkey's about coconuts.
  • Options
    Why not just give up on money and just trade in coconuts... it makes perfect sense now! fuck the bacon sandwiches.
  • Options

Why not just give up on money and just trade in coconuts... it makes perfect sense now! fuck the bacon sandwiches.

Great idea. Coconut money handled by people with chicken grease on their fingers, having just enjoyed their KFC.

And the poor veggie chap has handled it unknowingly, before he breaks off a square of chocolate and puts it in his mouth.

• Options
    Questions.

1) If the issue is handling money that has trace amounts of animal product on them, then nearly every single note in circulation will, at some point, have been handled by someone with animal product residue on their fingers that will be tracked onto the notes. This would have been an issue even before the new notes.

2) If the issue is the animal product being used in the production, then why is this now only a problem, when dozens of other everyday items vegetarians/vegans will use/handle (packaging, roads, cosmetics and toiletries, tyres, carrier bags, household staples where the treating process usually involves an underlying animal product) are fine, even though as others have pointed out there are synthetic replacements?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Questions.

1) If the issue is handling money that has trace amounts of animal product on them, then nearly every single note in circulation will, at some point, have been handled by someone with animal product residue on their fingers that will be tracked onto the notes. This would have been an issue even before the new notes.

2) If the issue is the animal product being used in the production, then why is this now only a problem, when dozens of other everyday items vegetarians/vegans will use/handle (packaging, roads, cosmetics and toiletries, tyres, carrier bags, household staples where the treating process usually involves an underlying animal product) are fine, even though as others have pointed out there are synthetic replacements?

The first thing I do when buying stuff is look to see if it's suitable for vegetarians. If it isn't I don't buy it.
    Some stuff unfortunately is unavoidable and not being a saint I grudgingly or unknowingly use it.
    There is a huge difference in products used in my life.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Fiiish said:

Questions.

The first thing I do when buying stuff is look to see if it's suitable for vegetarians. If it isn't I don't buy it.
    Some stuff unfortunately is unavoidable and not being a saint I grudgingly or unknowingly use it.
    Condoms. Are they suitable for vegetarians and if it was a choice between a non veggie and abstinence ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

Questions.

Condoms. Are they suitable for vegetarians and if it was a choice between a non veggie and abstinence ?

I didn't know about this, just checked and the condom I use is vegan.
    The ones that vegans can't use are ok for vegetarians anyway as it is milk that is used in their production.
    So it's the vegans who face this conundrum not vegetarians.
  • Options
    What about if the only condom available was out of the kharzi machine. You're on a promise and that's the only thing available ?
  • Options
    I'm not vegan so no problem.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I'm not vegan so no problem.

Ear iainment... pop over to the fry up thread and really gross yourself out!
  • Options
    I've posted my fry up there already.
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

shine166 said:

More inforced vegetarianism! It's like when vegetarian guests come round for a meal and we don't eat meat. How comes as a strict carnivore I don't get the same treatment when we go round there gaff ?

I never expect meat eaters not to eat meat if I'm out with them or eating in their house.
    I'm happy to eat just veg if necessary. But as I don't ever have meat other than cat food in my house they would have to eat a vegetarian meal. But I would let people know in advance. If that means they can't visit then so be it.
    If you had guests over and one of them requested meat, not a demand just a "I'm coming straight from the gym do you mind cooking me some chicken /fish?" Would you be happy to do it?
    No.
    Would you give them cat food?
    If that's what they want I would. But I've never met anyone that desparate.
  • Options

iainment said:

Fiiish said:

Questions.

Condoms. Are they suitable for vegetarians and if it was a choice between a non veggie and abstinence 'avin a wank ?