Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New fiver not suitable for vegetarians.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    image<
  • Options
    The new tenner prototype is 'lined' up.....
  • Options
    Anyone on here been in Costa without their teeth?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

seth plum said:

It is mentioned above thst tallow alternative would be a worse option. Would it? What is the purpose of the tallow in the notes anyway? I read it is a small amount anyway. I don't know, but maybe candlewax or soap would do the trick. If we are discussing tiny amounts of stuff then in the future could there not be an alternative?
    Failing that, maybe instead of leaving one's body to medical research, maybe people could leave themselves to banknotes, perhaps for a small fee.

Natural ingredient compared to fossil fuel derived material with a carbon footprint?

Cows do fart a lot though.

So do Vegetarians.........as anyone who has spent any time in a veggie restaurant will testify!
  • Options
    The most Guardian headline, ever?

• Options
    To parody Marie Antoinette 'let them eat meat'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depends on your source I've heard?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39441971

So what's gonna get it? Cow or Orangutan ?
  • Options

Perhaps we can find a lesson from history. From the very pragmatic French, in fact. When the Cemetery of The Innocents in Paris became too full, bodies were exhumed and the bones were moved to the Catacombs in 1786. However, many bodies had incompletely decomposed and had reduced into large deposits of fat. During the exhumation, this fat was collected and subsequently turned into candles and soap. Would vegans mind if some of us donated our bodies after death for bank note tallow production?
  • Options
    Nice work @cantersaddick.

I'm bored shitless of the Article 50 thread......so was hoping to stir up a different lunacy on this one :wink:
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Perhaps we can find a lesson from history. From the very pragmatic French, in fact. When the Cemetery of The Innocents in Paris became too full, bodies were exhumed and the bones were moved to the Catacombs in 1786. However, many bodies had incompletely decomposed and had reduced into large deposits of fat. During the exhumation, this fat was collected and subsequently turned into candles and soap. Would vegans mind if some of us donated our bodies after death for bank note tallow production?
    Remind me never to moan about my job again.
  • Options

This is what I've been saying all along. The tiny amount of meat product in there was very much the least worse option.

I challenge someone who was appalled by that to do some research into palm oil farming and particularly the Unilever controversy and to tell me that is a better option.

In terms of conservation and the environment palm oil is a million times worse.

Palm oil is responsible for 1000s of species of plant going extinct. Many of them had medicinal qualities we weren't able to exploit. Not just orangutans but many other animals are endangered as a result of destroying the rainforest to make space for massive palm oil farms.

Green peace (not an organisation I support but their motives are usually correct) described it at the time as the single biggest threat to animal welfare. It is genuinely horrendous.

Anyone who cares about the environment, animal welfare, ecosystems or conservation would be capable of seeing the bigger picture.
    You can, as I do, object to both.
  • Options
    iainment said:

This is what I've been saying all along. The tiny amount of meat product in there was very much the least worse option.

I challenge someone who was appalled by that to do some research into palm oil farming and particularly the Unilever controversy and to tell me that is a better option.

Palm oil is responsible for 1000s of species of plant going extinct. Many of them had medicinal qualities we weren't able to exploit. Not just orangutans but many other animals are endangered as a result of destroying the rainforest to make space for massive palm oil farms.

Green peace (not an organisation I support but their motives are usually correct) described it at the time as the single biggest threat to animal welfare. It is genuinely horrendous.

Anyone who cares about the environment, animal welfare, ecosystems or conservation would be capable of seeing the bigger picture.
    Of course. But then what do you suggest using? As I've outlined in previous posts on this thread the synthetic tallow option whilst considerably better than Palm oil is worse than the cow tallow option.

So what other option is there?
  • Options

iainment said:

Of course. But then what do you suggest using? As I've outlined in previous posts on this thread the synthetic tallow option whilst considerably better than Palm oil is worse than the cow tallow option.

Paper notes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Paper notes.
    Reasonable of course. There are however obvious reasons they're leaving the paper note behind.
  • Options
    Palm oil can be sought from sustainable sources though. If it's only half a cow of tallow in all the drivers, we aren't talking deforestation here are we?
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Paper notes.
    Classic example of not thinking the problem through.

Paper notes still need production so leave an environmental footprint. Paper notes would need to be replaced with far far far greater frequency than the new ones will.

In ecological terms the new notes are great news but hey let's not let facts get in the way of irrational nonsense.

• Options
    While life repeats in cycles has anyone else noticed this shallow tallow discussion contracting every time it comes up?

I guess it's the law of entropy acting.
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

Paper notes.
    Classic example of not thinking the problem through.

Paper notes still need production so leave an environmental footprint. Paper notes would need to be replaced with far far far greater frequency than the new ones will.

In ecological terms the new notes are great news but hey let's not let facts get in the way of irrational nonsense.

I haven't at any point raised environmental effects as being my issue.
    It's about forcing people to use animal products in a product that is virtually impossible to avoid. There are many of us who find that a difficult issue.
  • Options
    Just ask for your money in coins if its that big an issue.
  • Options

ATMs.
  • Options
    iainment said:

ATMs.
    Rarely do fiver's, especially if you ask for an amount divisible by 10
  • Options

iainment said:

ATMs.
    Rarely do fiver's, especially if you ask for an amount divisible by 10
    They do where I work. And it doesn't matter the amount. You get a 20 and two 5s if you want 30 and so on.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    iainment said:

ATMs.
    Small sacrifice if it means that much to you. You'll just have to go into the bank when its open.