Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films that are supposed to be great but you hate

Comments

• Options

Sorry to be boring but I have to agree.

Matrix
    Lord of the rings
    Fast and furious

As I biker I have to add Easy Rider although it is iconic and watched it a few times.

Are you a biker, or do you ride a motorbike TT?
    Less biker these days TBF but comfortable in the the biker world.
    You wont be if you tell them your Opinion on Easy Rider... :wink:
    I am happy to argue my corner at any biker bash. I have done and most have agreed with me particularly about the stupid acid trip scene. I would still watch it again though.

Girl on a motorbike is also iconic but it was a tedious film.

Maybe it is the similarity of the endings doesn't help, aren't bikers allowed to live long and fulfilling lives like in Wild Hogs? ;-)

You got me thinking @Algarveaddick so I have started a poll on a facebook page to get feedback from other motorcyclists, not sure how many are bikers. I will report back.

Has anyone else on here seen Easy Rider?
    Even you said you don't actually "hate" it TT, which was the purpose of the thread 'til it got de-railed...

I agree there's some daft bits, but it is so truly iconic I can't dislike it. That said I do like a lot of shit films. :blush:
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I love these threads, when people get all defensive when someones says that the Films/TV/Music they like, are dog shit. We've even got the resident 'CL weird for the sake of it' poster going all Gladys on us.
    Great reading.

Star Wars is still pony, in fact its even more pony than when I posted earlier, and anyone who says Saving Private Ryan is tosh, needs a shooing.

Keep it up chaps, I've got to stay a work longer today.....
  • Options

Sorry to be boring but I have to agree.

Matrix
    Lord of the rings
    Fast and furious

As I biker I have to add Easy Rider although it is iconic and watched it a few times.

Are you a biker, or do you ride a motorbike TT?
    Less biker these days TBF but comfortable in the the biker world.
    You wont be if you tell them your Opinion on Easy Rider... :wink:
    I am happy to argue my corner at any biker bash. I have done and most have agreed with me particularly about the stupid acid trip scene. I would still watch it again though.

Girl on a motorbike is also iconic but it was a tedious film.

Maybe it is the similarity of the endings doesn't help, aren't bikers allowed to live long and fulfilling lives like in Wild Hogs? ;-)

You got me thinking @Algarveaddick so I have started a poll on a facebook page to get feedback from other motorcyclists, not sure how many are bikers. I will report back.

Has anyone else on here seen Easy Rider?
    Yes, but a long time ago.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I love these threads, when people get all defensive when someones says that the Films/TV/Music they like, are dog shit. We've even got the resident 'CL weird for the sake of it' poster going all Gladys on us.
    Great reading.

Star Wars is still pony, in fact its even more pony than when I posted earlier, and anyone who says Saving Private Ryan is tosh, needs a shooing.

I agree! It certainly is odd how people are getting all defensive and uppity on a 'name some popular films you hate' thread. It is almost as if opinions are fine right up until you can't stomach them. But then, having agreed with me, you then single me out as the problem! Which strikes me as a little illogical :p
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Greenie said:

Great reading.

I agree! It certainly is odd how people are getting all defensive and uppity on a 'name some popular films you hate' thread. It is almost as if opinions are fine right up until you can't stomach them. But then, having agreed with me, you then single me out as the problem! Which strikes me as a little illogical :p
    I do like you Leuth. I just thought you might like to know.
  • Options

Can't think of a film i "hate".

Don't like or think was all that or even over rated but "hate".

They're just films. I get it that not everyone gets Citizen Kane (a classic film, great story, brilliant actors, wonderful reveal at the end) but do people really hate it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRBFEYVioBI

• Options

Leuth said:

Let's go through the IMDB top 25 - http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6 - and denote which films are shit

1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 9.2 SHIT
    2. The Godfather (1972) 9.2 Probably pretty great
    3. The Godfather: Part II (1974) 9.0 Probably pretty great
    4. The Dark Knight (2008) 8.9 Pretty shit
    5. 12 Angry Men (1957) 8.9 Eh, it's ok
    6. Schindler's List (1993) 8.9 Not seen
    7. Pulp Fiction (1994) 8.9 Eh, quite good
    8. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 8.9 Not seen
    9. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 8.8 Not seen
    10. Fight Club (1999) 8.8 Decent
    11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 8.8 Liked this
    12. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 8.7 Yeah it's ok
    13. Forrest Gump (1994) 8.7 Not seen
    14. Inception (2010) 8.7 UGH
    15. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) 8.7 BORING, too much inane battling
    16. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 8.7 Not seen
    17. Goodfellas (1990) 8.7 It's ok, maybe even good
    18. The Matrix (1999) 8.7 Guys, this is really fun. Do you hate fun?
    19. Seven Samurai (1954) 8.6 Need to see this
    20. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) 8.6 Good but ruined movies forever lol
    21. City of God (2002) 8.6 Decent
    22. Se7en (1995) 8.6 Not seen
    23. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) 8.6 Need to see
    24. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) 8.6 Eh, it's ok
    25. The Usual Suspects (1995) 8.6 literally the shittest thing ever

It's mostly Christopher Nolan at fault here

Since you don't rate Respect by Aretha Franklin you have lost any little credibility or authority you may have had to comment on any form of popular art
    WHAT? Doesn't rate Aretha's Respect? Fair enough if you prefer the Otis original. But still. Aretha is criticism-proof in my book (well, apart from that thing she did with Annie Lennox. That was shite).
  • Options
    Star Wars - totally overrated rubbish
    Matrix trilogy - boredom incrementally rises as it goes on
    Peter's Friends - over indulgent twaddle about a bunch of screamy theatre types
    Lethal Weapon - Just embarassingly crap nd unbelievable
  • Options
    A fish called Wanda.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The 'twist' of The Usual Suspects is probably the nadir of popular culture

I thought you thought that was either Brexit or Trump
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Leuth said:

Greenie said:

Great reading.

I do like you Leuth. I just thought you might like to know.
    Agreed
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Anything by Wes Anderson.

THANK YOU. All of his films are mostly style thickly dolloped over a story of little of any substance. I did enjoy grand Budapest hotel however.

I'll add anything by Tim burton. Trades on the art styles of the 1920s cinema and rebrands it as his own. I know for a fact he just happens to surround himself with talented people (art directors etc) that make him look good. Always comes up with rubbish ideas and stifles decent ones
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Leuth said:

colthe3rd said:

I mean ignoring his ridiculous comment that the Usual Supsects is "literally the shittest thing ever". This is someone who has not seen the following films (some of them classics):

Leuth said:

Any opinions you have on movies should be discarded immediately.
    Let's just imagine I turned this around with a load of foreign-language classics that colthe3rd probably hasn't seen many of, rather than having to laboriously type out each one
    I'd actually be more interested in seeing your list of over-rated foreign language films, Leuth (as I watch these films). You did lay yourself a bit open to criticism commenting on a top 25 of which you hadn't seen about a third!

• Options

Leuth said:

colthe3rd said:

I mean ignoring his ridiculous comment that the Usual Supsects is "literally the shittest thing ever". This is someone who has not seen the following films (some of them classics):

Leuth said:

Let's just imagine I turned this around with a load of foreign-language classics that colthe3rd probably hasn't seen many of, rather than having to laboriously type out each one
    I'd actually be more interested in seeing your list of over-rated foreign language films, Leuth (as I watch these films). You did lay yourself a bit open to criticism commenting on a top 25 of which you hadn't seen about a third!

Fine. Let's do this!

Pan's Labyrinth. Pandering crap.
    Amelie. Pandering crap.
    The Red Balloon. See above.

That's it. Maybe Run Lola Run if I'm feeling uncharitable, but it knows how kitschy it is. I can't think of any other foreign classics I've seen and hated. Foreign obscurities, sure, but not widely-acknowledged classics.

As for classic Hollywood that is actually crap, you cannot beat Casablanca. Pandering crap and actually a complete disaster that everyone says they love because they have to. To Have And Have Not is the same thing done 46667557x better a couple of years later
  • Options
    Mamma Mia - Mind numbing, vacant headed drivel.
    Just buy Abba's greatest hits and save yourself the torture
  • Options
    I like Run Lola Run

And Seven Samurai I've watched all the way through at least three times although I may have been a bit caned for a couple of them.

Akira was a favourite film for a while.

I'm afraid I don't remember the dross ones in a foreign language that I've watched.

Agree re pans labyrinth though, started that one twice and got nowhere either time and turned it off.

My favourite version of Easy Rider was one I recorded off the tv when I was at university. The cable had got slightly disconnected to the VHS and it meant that all the film had strange pink, green and blue edges to the scenery. At least I think that was the reason.
  • Options
    Whiplash of a couple of years ago was simply a 'tough Sergeant with a bunch of rookies' film using music as the vehicle, it said nothing new and i thought was a bit of a con in it's rating.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Super 8.

What an utterly terrible film. Thank heavens I didn't see the first seven.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The Hangover. It's the same story as Dude Where's my Car and everyone hated that.

I just don't find it funny...
  • Options
    Cloud Atlas.

The last Bond film I sat through. Would have been in 2006ish. Thought it was ending on the two hour mark, but no, another pointless half hour of chases and explosions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

THANK YOU. All of his films are mostly style thickly dolloped over a story of little of any substance. I did enjoy grand Budapest hotel however.

I'll add anything by Tim burton. Trades on the art styles of the 1920s cinema and rebrands it as his own. I know for a fact he just happens to surround himself with talented people (art directors etc) that make him look good. Always comes up with rubbish ideas and stifles decent ones
    Exactly. Grand Budapest was the only one where his style didn't piss me off. Everything about The Life Aquatic and especially Darjeeling Ltd really did. And Burton isn't a great storyteller at all. His films are a bit hollow.

re. Easy Rider, I've got no interest in seeing it again but the production of that movie was a pivotal moment in Hollywood history.

• Options
    Mary Poppins.

Cor blimey!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Exactly. Grand Budapest was the only one where his style didn't piss me off. Everything about The Life Aquatic and especially Darjeeling Ltd really did. And Burton isn't a great storyteller at all. His films are a bit hollow.

re. Easy Rider, I've got no interest in seeing it again but the production of that movie was a pivotal moment in Hollywood history.

Read "easy riders raging bulls", amazing book on the rise of new Hollywood.
  • Options

Cloud Atlas.

The last Bond film I sat through. Would have been in 2006ish. Thought it was ending on the two hour mark, but no, another pointless half hour of chases and explosions.

Agree. Cloud atlas was atrocious. Did any one actually think it was good though?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The 'twist' of The Usual Suspects is probably the nadir of popular culture

You've clearly never watched X Factor. Or even Eastenders. (Not that I have lately.)
  • Options

Cloud Atlas.

Agree. Cloud atlas was atrocious. Did any one actually think it was good though?
    Apparently yes. I never read the book, but many devotees said the film did the book justice. So I will avoid the book, then.

And I speak the true-true. Bloody hell, that film left a scar :-)

• Options
    Some bloody good films being called out here!

As for mine, Deer Hunter.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

colthe3rd said:

Leuth said:

Fine. Let's do this!

Pan's Labyrinth. Pandering crap.
    Amelie. Pandering crap.
    The Red Balloon. See above.

That's it. Maybe Run Lola Run if I'm feeling uncharitable, but it knows how kitschy it is. I can't think of any other foreign classics I've seen and hated. Foreign obscurities, sure, but not widely-acknowledged classics.

As for classic Hollywood that is actually crap, you cannot beat Casablanca. Pandering crap and actually a complete disaster that everyone says they love because they have to. To Have And Have Not is the same thing done 46667557x better a couple of years later
    Cheers, Leuth. I also find it difficult to think of a foreign classic that I have really disliked. 'Pan's Labyrinth' baffled me but I was drunk at the time and I have no interest in giving it a second chance.
    'Run Lola Run' has not stuck in my memory apart from she runs a lot.
    Have to disagree on the other two for sentimental reasons. Spent a few days with an ex-girlfriend in Paris a couple of years ago in which we visited the lesser-known areas of the city including Amelie's cafe and fruit and veg shop (it is a fruit and veg shop) and trying to find the steps where the red balloon was found by the boy. I love the look of Paris in that film but sadly that area was largely demolished post-war as it was so run-down. There was a cracking view from the top of the steps in the film.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

The Hangover. It's the same story as Dude Where's my Car and everyone hated that.

I just don't find it funny...

Couldn't agree more
  • Options
    Aside from the beatings the drill Sargent gives private Pyle I don't rate full metal jacket as highly as a lot of people