Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gig spy

Comments

• Was at Noel Gallagher at Alexandra Palace park Saturday night - don't actually remember too much about it - ha
    Bit of a high flying bird, were you?
  • AC/DC at Wembley last night. So disappointed, the sound was so bad it was inaudible. Just a wall of noise. 
    That's a shame, seen them a couple of times and they've been superb. Not really AC/DC though as only Brian and Angus plus touring band.
    Was with a few old mates on Canvey on Saturday night, all of us ACDC fans and saying we wouldn't do stadium gigs any more so skipped this one.  Just a terrible experience overall and - sorry to be cynical - but I get the impression it's more about people saying they were there.  We all said we'd rather watch a decent pub band.

Then we went in to see a Jam cover band to prove our point.  And they were ***** terrible.
    Quite a few years ago I saw Pink Floyd at the old Wembley stadium and the sound was spot on. 30 years later the sound is inaudible, the same pitch ticket cost 130, beer nearly 10 a pint and people with smart phones want to film the entire concert as if they can relive it in the future on a poxy 4inch screen. I took 4 photos, a 10 second video to stick on twitter, the Angus Young one being one of them, Back in Black,  the photo is more tuneful than the speakers. I wont say its my last stadium gig but its going to have to be a bit special for another one.
    You are spot on about people just wanting to say they were there, I have to admit I was one of them. Pretty much the same reason I went to see Black Sabbath a couple of years back. None of them are better than they were 20-30 years ago. They are all getting to the age where its probably be the last time to see these guys. I'm going to David Gilmour in October at the Albert Hall he's another guy in his 70's, him Nick  Masson and Roger Waters will never play together again. If you are a fan or have a passing interest if don't take the opportunities while they are there you stand to miss out and regret for a long time. I once turned down a ticket for Chuck Berry at the Fairfield Halls. He, to the best of my knowledge, never toured again. 

I will always make an exception for Floyd, but I'm not sure that DG on his own counts.  I was lucky enough to see the Wall in 1980 at Earls Court but not old enough to have seen anything earlier.  The Albert Hall is a great venue though.  

Their sound is always exceptional, and any band that still hires their rig usually is ok, even in a stadium (pretty sure that includes Muse).

As for Waters my old man summed it up, the last time he was touring, "I'm not giving that thieving ****, ****-taking hypocrite any more of my money."
    Sounds like we are a similar age, just left school when I saw my first Floyd show. I saw 2 of the Wall shows a year apart. First band I ever saw live and from that first show I benchmarked sound quality of every other gig I've been to. Without exception no other other band has got the sound as good. To retain the live feel but at the same time have the clarity and volume was special. I don't know if you can remember the speaker setup at Earls Court for the Wall, Floyd had speaker arrays high to the sides and the rear of the arena. The sound moved around you as well as from the front. The next gig I saw, I think it was Yes at Lewisham Odeon. A bit of a disappointment to say the least.
    Your dad has Waters about right, he's so far down a rabbit hole there's no way back.  
  • AC/DC at Wembley last night. So disappointed, the sound was so bad it was inaudible. Just a wall of noise. 
    That's a shame, seen them a couple of times and they've been superb. Not really AC/DC though as only Brian and Angus plus touring band.
    Was with a few old mates on Canvey on Saturday night, all of us ACDC fans and saying we wouldn't do stadium gigs any more so skipped this one.  Just a terrible experience overall and - sorry to be cynical - but I get the impression it's more about people saying they were there.  We all said we'd rather watch a decent pub band.

Then we went in to see a Jam cover band to prove our point.  And they were ***** terrible.
    Quite a few years ago I saw Pink Floyd at the old Wembley stadium and the sound was spot on. 30 years later the sound is inaudible, the same pitch ticket cost 130, beer nearly 10 a pint and people with smart phones want to film the entire concert as if they can relive it in the future on a poxy 4inch screen. I took 4 photos, a 10 second video to stick on twitter, the Angus Young one being one of them, Back in Black,  the photo is more tuneful than the speakers. I wont say its my last stadium gig but its going to have to be a bit special for another one.
    You are spot on about people just wanting to say they were there, I have to admit I was one of them. Pretty much the same reason I went to see Black Sabbath a couple of years back. None of them are better than they were 20-30 years ago. They are all getting to the age where its probably be the last time to see these guys. I'm going to David Gilmour in October at the Albert Hall he's another guy in his 70's, him Nick  Masson and Roger Waters will never play together again. If you are a fan or have a passing interest if don't take the opportunities while they are there you stand to miss out and regret for a long time. I once turned down a ticket for Chuck Berry at the Fairfield Halls. He, to the best of my knowledge, never toured again. 

I will always make an exception for Floyd, but I'm not sure that DG on his own counts.  I was lucky enough to see the Wall in 1980 at Earls Court but not old enough to have seen anything earlier.  The Albert Hall is a great venue though.  

Their sound is always exceptional, and any band that still hires their rig usually is ok, even in a stadium (pretty sure that includes Muse).

As for Waters my old man summed it up, the last time he was touring, "I'm not giving that thieving ****, ****-taking hypocrite any more of my money."
    Sounds like we are a similar age, just left school when I saw my first Floyd show. I saw 2 of the Wall shows a year apart. First band I ever saw live and from that first show I benchmarked sound quality of every other gig I've been to. Without exception no other other band has got the sound as good. To retain the live feel but at the same time have the clarity and volume was special. I don't know if you can remember the speaker setup at Earls Court for the Wall, Floyd had speaker arrays high to the sides and the rear of the arena. The sound moved around you as well as from the front. The next gig I saw, I think it was Yes at Lewisham Odeon. A bit of a disappointment to say the least.
    Your dad has Waters about right, he's so far down a rabbit hole there's no way back.  
    Another one here.  I saw Floyd do the Wall at Earls Court as a 13 year old. 

It blew my little mind an I never looked back. 

I also then saw Waters do Radio Kaos 2 nights running in Wembley Arena in late 87. Then 8 months later saw Gilmours Floyd do the Stadium and went both nights. I had just got into Acid House at the time and so the memory of those gigs was a little hazy to say the least. Although I remember the bed crashing into the stage at the end of On The Run

But I did prefer Waters versions of the classics, he even had Clare Tory doing Great Gig for example.  And he did Arnold Layne 😂

since then I’ve seen Waters do Hyde Park, The Wall at the O2 and his farewell thing recently where he banged on far too much and should have got on with the gig.

Not sure who I prefer really out of Rog and Dave. Although Gilmour did refuse to shake my hand when I tried to say hello to him once. Wanker. 

Another one here.  I saw Floyd do the Wall at Earls Court as a 13 year old. 

It blew my little mind an I never looked back. 

I also then saw Waters do Radio Kaos 2 nights running in Wembley Arena in late 87. Then 8 months later saw Gilmours Floyd do the Stadium and went both nights. I had just got into Acid House at the time and so the memory of those gigs was a little hazy to say the least. Although I remember the bed crashing into the stage at the end of On The Run

But I did prefer Waters versions of the classics, he even had Clare Tory doing Great Gig for example.  And he did Arnold Layne 😂

since then I’ve seen Waters do Hyde Park, The Wall at the O2 and his farewell thing recently where he banged on far too much and should have got on with the gig.

Not sure who I prefer really out of Rog and Dave. Although Gilmour did refuse to shake my hand when I tried to say hello to him once. Wanker. 

I've seen Nick Masson on his Saucer Full of Secrets tour a couple of time do the early floyd stuff. Nicks ego doesn't seem as big Waters and Gilmours. I saw an interview with Gilmour a few years back and he did say he doesn't like people coming up to him and interrupting his day. I'd of thought it goes with the job. Two  of my friends, years ago, won tickets for the Nordoff  Robins Silver Clef bash and Gilmour was on the same table. They chatted away to him, had their photos taken with him and said what a nice guy he was. I guess with some of these people it depends what side of the bed they get out of. The 3 remaining group members headlined the charity event at Knebworth that year, (1990), which my friends, me and the wife went to. Gilmour reckons it was one of their best performances. The line up that day was a bit something for everyone but it did have half of Led Zeppelin  playing, Page & Plant. My wife sat on the grass with her fingers in he ears for that, she never had any musical taste.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4Ht8IYaHQ

• Was at Noel Gallagher at Alexandra Palace park Saturday night - don't actually remember too much about it - ha
    Was there too. 30 years since I last saw any of the Gallaghers live, that was in New Cross.

I preferred the HFB stuff to the Oasis stuff on the night.

• agree - Liam's Oasis stuff was much better than Noel's
  • Dunno if tribute bands are allowed on here but a shout out for The Beaverwood Club in Chislehurst, Seen some great gigs there, recently Floyd, ZZ Top and Santana tributes. Roxy Magic up next week. Around £16 a gig, full bar and free parking !

• Wonderful performance of Tristan und Isolde at Glyndebourne on a glorious day. 🍾🥂🎶

• At Fanny Lumsden in Glasgow tonight, absolutely joyous. London peeps, she (and her fantastic band) are playing The Lexington on 8 August, thoroughly recommended!!
  • Cheap Trick tonight - old and marvelous. Close your eyes and they sound the same as they did waaay back. 5 neck guitars, 12 string bass, great songs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 4
    Went along to see 'Not the Rolling Stones' at Folkestone Bandstand, and not a great fan of the Stones, having only seen them once at The Hyde park concert, I was impressed. A lot of people are a bit 'snobbish' about tribute bands, but frankly I see quite a few having seen most of the 'original ' ones in there heydays. And frankly paying a few hundred pounds for a ticket, plus the aggro of getting to London etc, I always  get feeling of being 'ripped off'. Seeing one or two from the original members of 60's 70's bands. In any case most of my taste in music is stuck in a time warp, and if you go and see 'tribute bands' like Hendrix, Clapton, Floyd, they have to be at least competent, otherwise I just walk away!.
     But amid an overcast day, the free concert, where you entertained for two hours, and this band did very well, at least the Stones fans thought so, by the reaction. 
    The singer looked more like Mick Jagger than I have seen him lately! and sang well, and the band played well in my opinion, so what's not to like.? 
    There is a Pink Floyd, tribute band playing down here in a few weeks, and if you do not like it, you can always spend an afternoon on the harbour arm, and buy a drink. I did not take the first photo, but the others are mine taken on my iPhone.  
  • Went to an in-store show by the Dutch band Personal Trainer at Resident Records in Brighton last night - excellent stuff. 
  • Went to an in-store show by the Dutch band Personal Trainer at Resident Records in Brighton last night - excellent stuff. 
    Yes, they are good. I saw them in Tunbridge Wells a week or so ago.

• Bagged a couple of tickets for Frank Carter fronting the Sex Pistols at The Bush Hall. 
    Tried to get tickets for their gig at The Forum next month. No chance.
  • Off to see Thomas Dolby next week at the Shepherds Bush Empire . 
  • Only 9 days to go. Getting the train from Euston on Friday and plan to have a look around the football museum. 
  • Only 9 days to go. Getting the train from Euston on Friday and plan to have a look around the football museum. 
    Saw Peter Hook and the Light at the end of June...excellent.
  • Booked tickets for DC Lee at the Koko in October. Steve White and Mick Talbot will be in her band.
  • Taylor Swift goes to the Firehouse in Chiltern Street Marylebone after the show - lots of paparazzi hanging outside the other night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Marilyn Manson tickets 🎟️ for Feb next year.
  • edited August 19
    My daughter has made me this and told me I have to wear it when I take her the show tomorrow. Whilst she’s far from the kind of act I’d normally be a fan of I’m actually quite looking forward to it, I’m sure it will be a spectacular show.

My nieces are going tomorrow night they have made lots of those friendship bracelets....enjoy this evening.
  • Noah Kahan Wednesday night and then Victorious festival Fri - Sun. Looking forward to Idles, pixies, CMAT, soft play (slaves), yard act, Lathums, biffy. Hopefully the weather holds. 
    I saw him a few years ago out of interest at Brixton.
    He just screamed endlessly.
    Worst gig I've ever been to, but admittedly I'm not a fan.
    Still a rock god
  • Is that his mum?
  • The Taylor Swift show tonight was absolutely fantastic. Knew it would be good but was shocked at just how good it was. My daughter screamed herself hoarse. 

Glad you enjoyed it my niece is a massive fan of TS has the cowboy boots the dress....the whole shebang. She is going tonight which will be her 3rd time....2 at Wembley and once in LA (she has a friend from LA).
  • The Taylor Swift show tonight was absolutely fantastic. Knew it would be good but was shocked at just how good it was. My daughter screamed herself hoarse. 

Which one is he…?🤓
  • edited August 20
    Marilyn Manson tickets 🎟️ for Feb next year.
    I can’t say I’m a huge fan but I have liked some of his stuff, particularly, The Beautiful People and some of his covers etc.