Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MK Dons v Charlton | Boxing Day | Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Are tickets available on the day?
  • Options

MKD have the worst home record in L1. Played 11 won 1 drawn 4 lost 6. This is a banker away win :smile:

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

Only because they've actually won one. If that was 0-5-6, you could put your house on Charlton giving them their first win at home.
  • Options
    Was going to go to this for a day out but won't be bothering after the efforts of the last couple of weeks. Feel nothing for this lot at the moment so won't be wasting my time or money. Home win and another comedy interview await.
  • Options

Are tickets available on the day . As I'm going to surprise the wife to take her to the sales boxing day. She has always wanted to go to MK1 it just by luck charlton are playing near by . She not stupid so if you see an overweight man with two black eyes that will be me

That'll be Karl if we play like we did at Millwall again and I get my hands on him
  • Options
    I would rather Botika was on the bench as I think he is poor, but is lively for 10 minutes if needed.

We could do worse than have Konsa on the right in front of Foley and Chicksen in front of Fox. At least we would have a bit of pace, youth, enthusiasm and players who can tackle. Play Lookman central behind big Mac and hope.
  • Options
    Konsa on the right wing. This day, for you, will live in infamy
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I would rather Botika was on the bench as I think he is poor, but is lively for 10 minutes if needed.

We could do worse than have Konsa on the right in front of Foley and Chicksen in front of Fox. At least we would have a bit of pace, youth, enthusiasm and players who can tackle. Play Lookman central behind big Mac and hope.

Everyone is entitled to what they think would work best, but I have to strongly disagree with you here.

Konsa is a centre back playing out of position where he has struggled mostly at right back. Playing him even further forward at right midfield would be disastrous.

Chicksen at left midfield isn't a bad option with the squad we currently have, but as Robinson has said recently, he's a left back so can only do so much as a midfielder/winger.

Lookman in the middle in theory should work, getting between the lines is where he could really hurt teams. But he's young and that's not a position he has regularly played. He clearly likes playing wide left but doesn't have the workrate at times to do it, so either play him there or right up front with a proper winger.

Any team would look at us and think well they clearly don't want this and they shouldn't cause us many problems with a defence and midfield of Foley, Bauer, Tex, Fox, Konsa, Ulvestad, Crofts, Chicksen.

In this league you need players who can really threaten the opposition, that's why Holmes done so well for us and why without him, Lookman is constantly getting 2/3 players on him the whole time, making him very ineffective.

We need new players, we need players back fit, and we need the current lot to really step it up. But most importantly, we need to start winning games and fast.

He may not do too much, but for that reason, Ajose has to start, he will eventually go on a run and score a few.

2-1 Charlton, just.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Redrobo said:

Everyone is entitled to what they think would work best, but I have to strongly disagree with you here.

Konsa is a centre back playing out of position where he has struggled mostly at right back. Playing him even further forward at right midfield would be disastrous.

Chicksen at left midfield isn't a bad option with the squad we currently have, but as Robinson has said recently, he's a left back so can only do so much as a midfielder/winger.

Lookman in the middle in theory should work, getting between the lines is where he could really hurt teams. But he's young and that's not a position he has regularly played. He clearly likes playing wide left but doesn't have the workrate at times to do it, so either play him there or right up front with a proper winger.

Any team would look at us and think well they clearly don't want this and they shouldn't cause us many problems with a defence and midfield of Foley, Bauer, Tex, Fox, Konsa, Ulvestad, Crofts, Chicksen.

In this league you need players who can really threaten the opposition, that's why Holmes done so well for us and why without him, Lookman is constantly getting 2/3 players on him the whole time, making him very ineffective.

We need new players, we need players back fit, and we need the current lot to really step it up. But most importantly, we need to start winning games and fast.

He may not do too much, but for that reason, Ajose has to start, he will eventually go on a run and score a few.

2-1 Charlton, just.
    We need a new owner. Without that, it is hard to see anything other than the same old same old- lookman and konsa cashed in so Roly breaks even and replaced by more dull journeymen.
  • Options
    Hopefully we can get something 1-1 draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We really don't want lookman playing in the middle again. He gets crowded out and pushed off the ball to easily. Stick him on the wing where he has more space. Or just to one side of mag.
  • Options

Sage said:

Redrobo said:

2-1 Charlton, just.
    We need a new owner. Without that, it is hard to see anything other than the same old same old- lookman and konsa cashed in so Roly breaks even and replaced by more dull journeymen.
    Oh don't worry I know that, I've been involved in every protest I could so far. The problem is at the very top, making it rotten all throughout the club. But the fact is, we still need bodies through the door, and we still need the players that we have to be fit.

Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Kashi, Holmes, Novak. - 6 players who when fit are very good players for this league, that's a big loss for any team in the 3rd division.

I'm not making excuses for the board or ownership, I hate them as much as the next man/woman. I just believe if we had those players mentioned fit all season, we may well be in a better position now.
  • Options
    700 sold so far? Am surprised by that. Thought it would be 3-400 max after recent performances.

• Options
    E-cafc said:

700 sold so far? Am surprised by that. Thought it would be 3-400 max after recent performances.

Me too.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Anything to get away from the family (and the sales) on Boxing Day...
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Glory hunters. They all want to be able to say in 5 years time when we are premier league that they were there when Robinson got his first win
  • Options
    3 - 1 MK
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

This is going to one of those old school turnouts with the away end packed out with pay on the day fans and kick off delayed 15 mins to accommodate those still trying to get in
  • Options
    Get Fit soon Ricky Holmes.
    (i'm boycotting the preview)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016

E-cafc said:

This is going to one of those old school turnouts with the away end packed out with pay on the day fans and kick off delayed 15 mins to accommodate those still trying to get in
    I think you are confusing the game with John Lewis - though, admittedly, it's an easy mistake to make (there'll probably be better movement on the sale items than in our midfield, however).
  • Options
    Sage said:

Redrobo said:

2-1 Charlton, just.
    I take what you and others have said, but I just feel we need to set up not to lose, but still give ourselves a chance of winning.

Ajose is not playing well and Botika is not good enough IMO. Konsa is not as good as Foley at right back and although Foley has played midfield, he is a bit slow going forward. 5 across midfield with Lookman in a free role may stand a chance. I threw in Konsa as we don't have anyone else match fit to take the righthand side.

I am proper bored with Lookman, Croft, Fred and Botika in midfield with Ajose and Big Mac up front because we are always crap.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Sage said:

Redrobo said:

2-1 Charlton, just.
    I take what you and others have said, but I just feel we need to set up not to lose, but still give ourselves a chance of winning.

Ajose is not playing well and Botika is not good enough IMO. Konsa is not as good as Foley at right back and although Foley has played midfield, he is a bit slow going forward. 5 across midfield with Lookman in a free role may stand a chance. I threw in Konsa as we don't have anyone else match fit to take the righthand side.

I am proper bored with Lookman, Croft, Fred and Botika in midfield with Ajose and Big Mac up front because we are always crap.
    They have been crap, it's been boring and not good enough. I totally agree. Hence why I've also said that the players we currently have need to step it up as we also need new bodies in.

I just feel that in this league, setting up not to lose means we are more likely to either draw or even lose. But draws are no good, they don't do anything for you. I'd rather win one and lose one than draw two, that's all.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Redrobo said:

Sage said:

Redrobo said:

2-1 Charlton, just.

They have been crap, it's been boring and not good enough. I totally agree. Hence why I've also said that the players we currently have need to step it up as we also need new bodies in.

I just feel that in this league, setting up not to lose means we are more likely to either draw or even lose. But draws are no good, they don't do anything for you. I'd rather win one and lose one than draw two, that's all.
    Take your point, but with 15 to go we can bring on Jackson, Botika, Ajose or Hanlon and try to win it. The bench for Millwall was just so depressing.
  • Options
    also, I think the away end window where you buy the tickets is cash only - it was for the fa cup game anyway...
  • Options
    Just looked at Crofts' stats - No goals & 1 assist. Clearly not good enough. Ajose and Lookman are too short for high balls up the pitch. They need midfielders who can thread a ball through the opposition defence.
  • Options

Tickets no longer on website... can I buy for away end on the day?

I reckon they'll be able to squeeze you in.
  • Options

Tickets no longer on website... can I buy for away end on the day?

I reckon they'll be able to squeeze you in.
    Sage said:

Sage said:

Redrobo said:

2-1 Charlton, just.
    Oh don't worry I know that, I've been involved in every protest I could so far. The problem is at the very top, making it rotten all throughout the club. But the fact is, we still need bodies through the door, and we still need the players that we have to be fit.

Rudd, Solly, Pearce, Kashi, Holmes, Novak. - 6 players who when fit are very good players for this league, that's a big loss for any team in the 3rd division.

I'm not making excuses for the board or ownership, I hate them as much as the next man/woman. I just believe if we had those players mentioned fit all season, we may well be in a better position now.
    Final paragraph.

The past two seasons we have had a reasonably strong first eleven. It has been the remainder of the squad that has been a problem.
  • Options
    Robinson couldn't work out MK Don's weaknesses while he was their manager or for the 2 FA Cup games I fear that he won't manage to do so tomorrow either/
  • Options

We really don't want lookman playing in the middle again. He gets crowded out and pushed off the ball to easily. Stick him on the wing where he has more space. Or just to one side of mag.

You were probably at the match, while I wasn't, but I'm guessing the thinking is that playing in the 10 role gives him the freedom of movement to pick the ball up in pockets of space and beat a man or create a 2 v. 1 with the wingers, or make clever runs off the ball to link up with Magennis. It doesn't sound like either worked, but I get it.

The problem is, we just don't have enough in central midfield to get him the ball, and against Millwall it sounded like Ajose and Chicksen were very poor, not working to create space for him.

The other problem is he hasn't really played that position at senior level. I know he played there in the youth teams, and I think he has the skill set (maybe not the physicallity) to play there in future. But his reading of the game and decision making still aren't great. Also worth remembering he's 19, been in the senior team just a year, been at a proper club for ~3 years, and is playing in a very physical league. He gets a lot of stick on here, particularly when the transfer rumours kick up, but he's 19. He's talented, but he is incredibly raw and still learning the tactical and mental side of the game. And he is our only creative outlet at the moment, and by all accounts he gets doubled teamed and kicked or marked out of games. For some reason, teams just don't feel that leaving Crofts and Jackson more space is going to be a liability.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!