Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MK Dons v Charlton | Boxing Day | Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    http://www.castrust.org/2016/12/whats-that-you-say-mr-robinson/

From the Trusts' preview of tomorrow's match:

"MK are the lowest-ranked team Charlton face until the trip to Oldham Athletic on Valentine’s Day"

I know that, inevitably, we're going to compare Robinson to Slade. But it's worth remembering that Slade had, by and large, a fully fit team during his tenure, and we played all but two of the teams in the bottom half of the table (Port Vale and MK Dons being the exceptions).

This is not to say that Robinson doesn't need to improve results, but I think it's worth noting that he inherited a team in a far tougher situation than Slade (who was also allowed to sign his own players).
  • Options
    Really don't give a toss. Will be tucking into a nice boxing day lunch with all the trimmings and several bottles of decent wine. Feel sorry for those who are travelling to the game. . . seriously is that the best way you can think of spending Boxing Day? At the moment I wouldn't cross the road to watch the shower who wear shirt now.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Really don't give a toss. Will be tucking into a nice boxing day lunch with all the trimmings and several bottles of decent wine. Feel sorry for those who are travelling to the game. . . seriously is that the best way you can think of spending Boxing Day? At the moment I wouldn't cross the road to watch the shower who wear shirt now.

Go to the game or sale shopping? Blue water here I come!
  • Options
    The new manager bounce continues:

MK Dons 2 Charlton 0

Another gutless performance for the travelling hordes
  • Options
    Went tro the cup game and we shouldnt have lost. Another game we wont turn up in. Easy 3-0 home win.
  • Options
    I know that this is a triumph of hope over experience, but I think we are going to win by at least two clear goals, 0-2 or 1-3.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I was planning to go to this, but my last few visits to MK Dons have all resulted in defeat...also, what with having family visiting, I have decided against it today,... so on that basis, an away win!
  • Options
    Must be fuc ing mad
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

We really don't want lookman playing in the middle again. He gets crowded out and pushed off the ball to easily. Stick him on the wing where he has more space. Or just to one side of mag.

You were probably at the match, while I wasn't, but I'm guessing the thinking is that playing in the 10 role gives him the freedom of movement to pick the ball up in pockets of space and beat a man or create a 2 v. 1 with the wingers, or make clever runs off the ball to link up with Magennis. It doesn't sound like either worked, but I get it.

The problem is, we just don't have enough in central midfield to get him the ball, and against Millwall it sounded like Ajose and Chicksen were very poor, not working to create space for him.

The other problem is he hasn't really played that position at senior level. I know he played there in the youth teams, and I think he has the skill set (maybe not the physicallity) to play there in future. But his reading of the game and decision making still aren't great. Also worth remembering he's 19, been in the senior team just a year, been at a proper club for ~3 years, and is playing in a very physical league. He gets a lot of stick on here, particularly when the transfer rumours kick up, but he's 19. He's talented, but he is incredibly raw and still learning the tactical and mental side of the game. And he is our only creative outlet at the moment, and by all accounts he gets doubled teamed and kicked or marked out of games. For some reason, teams just don't feel that leaving Crofts and Jackson more space is going to be a liability.
    In an ideal scenario and with a half decent team the idea would be to move the ball quickly in the midfield and commit their players to create gaps for lookman on the wing. quickly switch the play to him so instead of being marked by two he has only the one to beat or an overlap could occur with our wing back or another midfielder or he could cut inside and have a shot/set up another midfielder or go on the outside and cross the ball in for Mag. however we don't have a wing back and we don't have any pace in midfield. so he gets put into midfield to add pace but he's then in a congested part of the pitch and losses the ball more often before he's able to do anything with his raw talent.

I remember when Harriot was played down the middle and the same thing happened. he got frustrated as did the crowd and it actually dented any confidence he had in his own ability and he never quite recovered from it.

• Options
    Leaving soon. The players had yesterday off, so did I.
    I will try to help the players today, I hope they show some pride.
    Expecting the worst.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weds was pathetic in every sense of the word. The injuries are not improving so more of the same coming up today. 2-0 to MK Dons and very little to encourage anyone.
  • Options
    3 of us on are way from Gloucester. Just don't feel like a football day. There something missing and can't put my finger on it
  • Options
    Would obviously love three points, but a draw is all I am realistically hoping for.
    To be honest, I would rather we wasn't playing today so that it couldn't spoil my day.
  • Options

Common sense tells me not to even think about Charlton on Boxing day as it will only depress me.
    Having said that, many thanks in advance RM for another excellent match thread.
    3.1 MK
    Merry Xmas everybody on Charlton life

Common sense tells me not to even think about Charlton on Boxing day as it will only depress me.
    3.1 MK

3.1 MK

3.1 MK

3.1 MK

3.1 MK

3.1 MK

That's beacause your usually too pissed. X
  • Options
    Got excited for a while. Blackwall Tunnel was screwed, was hoping we'd get stuck. Alas, now on the move again.
  • Options
    Well look forward to M1 just before Dunstable then. Solid. :)
  • Options

@CAFCofficial we really need to win this one big time - no excuses about mince pies if we don't ..

• Options

Trust coach now arriving in Franchise City. Bit of a way to go, when your main purpose is to hold up a banner with the legend "Stupid People"

There might be some football on display. You can do some scouting of Ben Reeves for us so that we can inevitably be linked with him all of January then not sign him.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

We really don't want lookman playing in the middle again. He gets crowded out and pushed off the ball to easily. Stick him on the wing where he has more space. Or just to one side of mag.

You were probably at the match, while I wasn't, but I'm guessing the thinking is that playing in the 10 role gives him the freedom of movement to pick the ball up in pockets of space and beat a man or create a 2 v. 1 with the wingers, or make clever runs off the ball to link up with Magennis. It doesn't sound like either worked, but I get it.

The problem is, we just don't have enough in central midfield to get him the ball, and against Millwall it sounded like Ajose and Chicksen were very poor, not working to create space for him.

The other problem is he hasn't really played that position at senior level. I know he played there in the youth teams, and I think he has the skill set (maybe not the physicallity) to play there in future. But his reading of the game and decision making still aren't great. Also worth remembering he's 19, been in the senior team just a year, been at a proper club for ~3 years, and is playing in a very physical league. He gets a lot of stick on here, particularly when the transfer rumours kick up, but he's 19. He's talented, but he is incredibly raw and still learning the tactical and mental side of the game. And he is our only creative outlet at the moment, and by all accounts he gets doubled teamed and kicked or marked out of games. For some reason, teams just don't feel that leaving Crofts and Jackson more space is going to be a liability.
    In an ideal scenario and with a half decent team the idea would be to move the ball quickly in the midfield and commit their players to create gaps for lookman on the wing. quickly switch the play to him so instead of being marked by two he has only the one to beat or an overlap could occur with our wing back or another midfielder or he could cut inside and have a shot/set up another midfielder or go on the outside and cross the ball in for Mag. however we don't have a wing back and we don't have any pace in midfield. so he gets put into midfield to add pace but he's then in a congested part of the pitch and losses the ball more often before he's able to do anything with his raw talent.

I remember when Harriot was played down the middle and the same thing happened. he got frustrated as did the crowd and it actually dented any confidence he had in his own ability and he never quite recovered from it.

Yes, I was there a couple seasons ago when Harriott was having his run playing as a striker alongside Vetokele. I felt Harriott did a lot better last year when played there (still not brilliant).

Yours is a very good thing, about having a team play at pace creating space for Lookman. I do think his natural position is a left forward. But as we've seen that leaves the fullback (Fox) exposed and does not lead to the overlapping 2 v. 1.

One thing that I continue to find odd, and hope Robinson works on because Slade didn't, is that our midfield is slow of foot but that doesn't necessarily stop us from moving the ball quickly. But it just feels we don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southend 2 up
    Not good for us
  • Options
    Just saw Jim Davidson greet Katrien warmly in the MK Dons lobby
  • Options
    edited December 2016

My guess is 4-3-3 with Crofts and Freddie either side of JJ sitting, with Ajose and Lookman either side of Magennis.
  • Options
    Straight 4-3-3 that looks like
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Straight 4-3-3 that looks like

Straight defeat that looks like!
  • Options
    Be better sticking Ajose in the middle of front three. Not much cop running the channels plus Magennis has played wide right before.
  • Options

Somewhat annoyingly starts with the players out (though to be fair he could have been asked the question and it just didn't make the video).

He also mentions Ade coming off the right I believe, which is odd, presumably means Ajose will play from the left.
  • Options
    Jackson and Crofts does not work. Why not give Aribo or Charles-Cook a go? Can only see a defeat with that team.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!