Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I don't know why anyone actually expected us to spend real money this window. There has been a determined effort by CARD and others to reduce his income, which is fair enough. After deliberately attacking his business plan through boycotts and non attendance, we can't then seriously complain about him diverting funds away from squad reinvestment into covering his losses.

RD would only consider lumping in large amounts of cash for players if we had a realistic chance of promotion, he obviously doesn't think we have. He's hedging his bets by spending just enough to keep the squad fairly competitive and KR reasonably content.
  • I think the idea is that they get posted here, and some people are happy, and some people aren't.
    Keep 'em peeled!
  • edited January 2017
    cabbie8 said:

Not seen if it has been mentioned before or not but will grigg is available. Get rid of ajose to free up some funds and get grigg in. Proven goal scorer who would link up well with magennis esp as they play together for Northern Ireland. Come on robinson get him in and we will be guaranteed top 6!!!

Mentioned this yesterday cabbie8 but was just laughed at. Don't think it's an unrealistic target at all.
  • Not a rumour but Craig Eastmond would be a good addition. Saw him play against maidstone last year and he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/sutton-united-vs-afc-wimbledon-arsenal-craig-eastmond-interview-fa-cup-third-round-a7513321.html

• cabbie8 said:

Not seen if it has been mentioned before or not but will grigg is available. Get rid of ajose to free up some funds and get grigg in. Proven goal scorer who would link up well with magennis esp as they play together for Northern Ireland. Come on robinson get him in and we will be guaranteed top 6!!!

Mentioned this yesterday cabbie8 but was just laughed at. Don't think it's an unrealistic target at all.
    Is it likely that he will be interested in dropping down a division, though?

It's not like Josh moving from Scotland to England.
  • cabbie8 said:

Is it likely that he will be interested in dropping down a division, though?

It's not like Josh moving from Scotland to England.
    It would be a great signing and a good use of our windfall from Lookman leaving. Young with a good scoring record. What sort of money would Wigan want though?. I think they paid a million and I doubt he is on fantastic wages.

Rolly has spent money before, at least he would be getting a decent player this time.
  • DA9DA9
    edited January 2017
    Doesn't really matter what money we have, we are not going to attract proven or current premiership players, championship squad/fringe players and prem reserves at best, I don't know who people really think we are going to sign?

I will admit, we will hold a little more sway than most in this division, but its a fact of life due to being in league one, and our current regime and image within the game.
  • Where is the story saying Will Grigg is being let go by Wigan?
  • Could this window be an even bigger road crash than the previous five?

Just be grateful we have no chance of promotion anyway because Aribo and Konsa will be gone in the summer.

How can Gobshite or any other manager forge a team with this level of player turnover.

Nice to see you living up to your username
  • Sponsored links:

• Could this window be an even bigger road crash than the previous five?

Just be grateful we have no chance of promotion anyway because Aribo and Konsa will be gone in the summer.

How can Gobshite or any other manager forge a team with this level of player turnover.

That's the spirit

• Couple of points. Give it time on terms of spending the dough. The investment in caskey looks a good one and he's just the sort of player we should be signing. Let's see what the rest of the window brings. In terms of the comparison with aribo and deli ali. I don't think it's about putting him in the shop window, it's robinsons natural excitability. It might bring the vultures but it might also be designed to give joe a boost. Imagine getting that praise from your boss. You'd be on top of the world.

With that win against bristol and our new signing and Ricky Holmes bag I'm feeling hopeful. A win next week and we can start to feel a even more hopeful. But I don't ever expect to beat them
  • Couple of points. Give it time on terms of spending the dough. The investment in caskey looks a good one and he's just the sort of player we should be signing. Let's see what the rest of the window brings. In terms of the comparison with aribo and deli ali. I don't think it's about putting him in the shop window, it's robinsons natural excitability. It might bring the vultures but it might also be designed to give joe a boost. Imagine getting that praise from your boss. You'd be on top of the world.

With that win against bristol and our new signing and Ricky Holmes bag I'm feeling hopeful. A win next week and we can start to feel a even more hopeful. But I don't ever expect to beat them

Read very nicely until the last sentence.

How dare you bring your positivity on here.

• I'm gonna concentrate on numbers here as the quality of the signings will be revealed in time...

Before any outs I reckoned we could do with 3 in.

1 winger
    1 no 10
    1 CM
    (Wouldn't say no to another striker but I don't think it's essential given KR's desire to play 4231)

Since then we have lost
    Lookman
    Foley
    Fox
    (And Botaka short term)

So we need:
    2 wingers
    1 no 10
    1 CM
    1 left back
    1 back up right back/utility player

Page is the LB, Dasilva one of the Wingers and JFC the CM. It's a good start but in terms of numbers we need 2 more who are dead certain to start plus one back up/utility player before the end of the window with no more exits.
  • edited January 2017

I'm gonna concentrate on numbers here as the quality of the signings will be revealed in time...

Before any outs I reckoned we could do with 3 in.

1 winger
    1 no 10
    1 CM
    (Wouldn't say no to another striker but I don't think it's essential given KR's desire to play 4231)

Since then we have lost
    Lookman
    Foley
    Fox
    (And Botaka short term)

So we need:
    2 wingers
    1 no 10
    1 CM
    1 left back
    1 back up right back/utility player

Page is the LB, Dasilva one of the Wingers and JFC the CM. It's a good start but in terms of numbers we need 2 more who are dead certain to start plus one back up/utility player before the end of the window with no more exits.

Agree 100% with this. I personally would also be looking to offload Ajose to enable a new striker to come in as well as the number 10 (reeves), winger and back up RB (byrne) that we need.

If we did the above we'd be in a great place for the 2nd half of the season (plus an extra bonus would be to offload some of the dead wood like Ba and Johnson but there obviously won't be a long list of suitors for those players). Time will tell.
  • I still feel that they will off load Tex right at the death of the window. It's just what this regime does.
  • Any news on El Hadji Ba, or are we stuck with him for the next 18 months of his contract?
  • Sponsored links:

• Does seem strange Robinson publicly comparing Aribo to Deli Alli so soon. If I had taken charge of a club I would want to keep my 'best' players out of the limelight as much as possible.

KR likes to talk - "loose lips sink ships" is not a phrase he has come across to date.

Didn't KR say that he was looking to bring in 4 or 5 - so that means we can only expect 1 or 2 more to join and goodness knows how many to leave.
  • Do we have any cover for Chris Solly at present?
  • sm said:
    I saw that, can't believe he is 32, for some reason I had him down as in his late 20's when he was ripping up league one with Tresor Kandol
  • Any news on El Hadji Ba, or are we stuck with him for the next 18 months of his contract?

Yeah mate, close sauce says due to pen 3 1/2 deal shortly.

• edited January 2017
    sm said:
    Just about 10 years since he burst on the scene. From memory he didn't feature in the Dartford Sutton FA Cup match, and has now dropped down another division
  • Slightly concerned that the CL height test is being ignored. Seems being left footed could be the new thing.
  • Slightly concerned that the CL height test is being ignored. Seems being left footed could be the new thing.

A decent left footer is worth their weight in gold................except when they can't kick or tackle with their right foot like Norman (bites your legs) Hunter for England v Poland 1973, don't grass me up to him though :wink: .
  • KR interview on club youtube says another player due in this week, then looking to spend a bit of money to bring 1 more in before the end of the month

Just listened to the interview, also speaks about potentially 6/7 changes for the Millwall match. As @Chrissy\\\'s Army!! said, he will get 1 more player before Millwall match and "splashing the cash" on 1 more before window closes.
    So he is going to "splash some cash" that'll be interesting to see who he gets!