Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• DA9 said:

Could this window be an even bigger road crash than the previous five?

Just be grateful we have no chance of promotion anyway because Aribo and Konsa will be gone in the summer.

How can Gobshite or any other manager forge a team with this level of player turnover.

Nice to see you living up to your username
    Player Turnover???

We have released a player who was on a stop gap 5 month contract

We sold a left back, who, judging by most posts on here and boos at games most fans hated. (Not me)

We sold League ones most talented player for a record fee at this level, and I doubt ANY club in this league, and the majority in the championship would have held onto him.

I think you've answered your own question.
  • RedChaser said:

Slightly concerned that the CL height test is being ignored. Seems being left footed could be the new thing.

A decent left footer is worth their weight in gold................except when they can't kick or tackle with their right foot like Norman (bites your legs) Hunter for England v Poland 1973, don't grass me up to him though :wink: .
    I tell you what's worth more than a left footer. Someone who can use both feet. Being one footed can be a liability, regardless of which foot it is.
  • Splash the cash is Reeves I would guess or maybe a forward?
  • cabbie8 said:

Not seen if it has been mentioned before or not but will grigg is available. Get rid of ajose to free up some funds and get grigg in. Proven goal scorer who would link up well with magennis esp as they play together for Northern Ireland. Come on robinson get him in and we will be guaranteed top 6!!!

Can't see it happening - however Grigg played under KR at MK Dons .
  • edited January 2017
    Valley11 said:

Splash the cash is Reeves I would guess or maybe a forward?

Got the impression the bid was for Reeves by his wry smirk after saying we'd spend money on one more.

We could do with cover for Magennis though, would be a disaster to have him out
  • Interesting he's watching a player today....wonder what game he's at
  • cabbie8 said:

Not seen if it has been mentioned before or not but will grigg is available. Get rid of ajose to free up some funds and get grigg in. Proven goal scorer who would link up well with magennis esp as they play together for Northern Ireland. Come on robinson get him in and we will be guaranteed top 6!!!

We all thought Ajose to be a 'proven goal scorer' - no way of knowing who's gonna fire and who's actually a bone idle piss taker.
    Any arrivals will now have to be matched financially with departures.

With the leading scorer gone and no measurable improvements to the squad elsewhere: KR will be expected to outperform a further 5 teams by at least 5 points over 21 games just to make the playoffs.
    When it becomes mathematically certain he can't he'll get the bullet and the toxic pantomime returns to Act 1 with an even smaller audience.

Happy New Year :neutral:

wasnt he supposed to be watching the ladies at the Valley today?

Brighton v Mk Dons would be my guess.
  • Sponsored links:

Well it isn't Nathan Byrne - he is not in the Wigan squad (well on the bench as he isn't a regular) today.
  • Halix said:

Interesting he's watching a player today....wonder what game he's at

wasnt he supposed to be watching the ladies at the Valley today?
    Tomorrow
  • I couldn't work out exactly what he said in that presser. Was it one in before Millwall and one after that we're going to splash the cash on? Or just one more big bucks buy?
  • cabbie8 said:

Scored this afternoon - first goal in 14 games
  • Valley11 said:

I couldn't work out exactly what he said in that presser. Was it one in before Millwall and one after that we're going to splash the cash on? Or just one more big bucks buy?

1 in before Millwall
    Another in before the end of January
  • Valley11 said:

I couldn't work out exactly what he said in that presser. Was it one in before Millwall and one after that we're going to splash the cash on? Or just one more big bucks buy?

1 in before Millwall
    Another in before the end of January
    Still think we need minimum 3 but we're used to Roly leaving us short at the end of every window...
  • cabbie8 said:

We all thought Ajose to be a 'proven goal scorer' - no way of knowing who's gonna fire and who's actually a bone idle piss taker.

With the leading scorer gone and no measurable improvements to the squad elsewhere: KR will be expected to outperform a further 5 teams by at least 5 points over 21 games just to make the playoffs.
    When it becomes mathematically certain he can't he'll get the bullet and the toxic pantomime returns to Act 1 with an even smaller audience.

Magennis is the leading scorer. And Ajose has scored as many goals as Lookman. And Jake Forster-Caskey isn't a measurable improvement to the squad?
    Well we just don't know yet do we - could be good but failing to get into a Rotherham side isn't exactly a sign he's the second coming
  • edited January 2017

• Sponsored links:

• KR interview on club youtube says another player due in this week, then looking to spend a bit of money to bring 1 more in before the end of the month

I wonder who's leaving to fund those.
  • KR interview on club youtube says another player due in this week, then looking to spend a bit of money to bring 1 more in before the end of the month

I wonder who's leaving to fund those.
    Ba and probably some youngsters out on loan
  • cabbie8 said:

Magennis is the leading scorer. And Ajose has scored as many goals as Lookman. And Jake Forster-Caskey isn't a measurable improvement to the squad?
    Well that's not strictly correct. He is not the same type of player as Lookman so can't really be compared. I would suggest he has improved the squad strength in an area that needed strengthening. If you want to split hairs then any squad that loses a player worth £11 million will be weakened.

If the sale of Lookman and Fox fund the purchase of three players that Robinson wants and give the overall squad a better balance and allows KR to play the formation he wants then it's good business.

Who did you expect we sign to replace Ade that would strengthen that position ?

• Theo Robinson. ;-)
  • cabbie8 said:

Well that's not strictly correct. He is not the same type of player as Lookman so can't really be compared. I would suggest he has improved the squad strength in an area that needed strengthening. If you want to split hairs then any squad that loses a player worth £11 million will be weakened.

If the sale of Lookman and Fox fund the purchase of three players that Robinson wants and give the overall squad a better balance and allows KR to play the formation he wants then it's good business.

Who did you expect we sign to replace Ade that would strengthen that position ?

The quote I replied to was

"With the leading scorer gone and no measurable improvements to the squad elsewhere"

So I was referring to the improvements elsewhere, i.e. leaving aside the loss of Lookman, who obviously weakens the squad, though not by £11m's worth though, as that fee is about future potential, not where he is at now.

I'll let KR decide who he brings in. In terms of contribution to the team, Holmes contributed as much as Lookman did anyway. Lookman's a kid, you can't expect him to be brilliant every game

If he was at the Amex then I hope he wasn't watching Reeves as he had a stinker this afternoon. Went to the game with my 2 boys and missus who are all Albion season ticket holders. Reeves was marked out of the game by an Albion young reserve. I was impressed with Darren Potter and George Baldock though, they both stood out from the rest of the MK side.

If he was at the Amex then I hope he wasn't watching Reeves as he had a stinker this afternoon. Went to the game with my 2 boys and missus who are all Albion season ticket holders. Reeves was marked out of the game by an Albion young reserve. I was impressed with Darren Potter and George Baldock though, they both stood out from the rest of the MK side.
    I like Baldock, think he would be a good signing but couldn't play him and Solly, how about Brighton's midfielder Towell, any good?
  • Yeah Towell had a reasonable game Stu and wouldn't be too bad an option. He played quite high up the pitch in a number 10 role and played it quite well. To be honest it wasn't the best of games though.
  • sam3110 said:

jdmotion said:

sam3110 said:

Seen what happen before? Us sell a player for a potential 8 figure sum, and sign 2 players by the end of the following day?

Please remind me when this last happened

They've seen disappointing transfer windows before under Roland. Every time.
    I admire your optimism. But I think it's a little naive.
    It's not optimism, it's not naive, it's fact.

We sold a player for big bucks 36 hours ago, and have already got players in, and people are complaining about those signings.

Who are people expecting us to sign, Alexis Sanchez, James Rodriguez and David Alaba?!

In fact, I'd argue we have acted proactively this window so far, Dasilva announced before Lookman goes, Page before Fox and JFC before Foley, who seemed to be regarded as a central midfielder judging by us moving Chicksen to right back and putting Foley in the middle against Bristol.

So far, in the opening week of the window, the regime have done things differently to how they've gone about business beforehand, and if you can't see that, you're blinded by hatred, and will complain about anything they now do, whatever it is.
    It's stopped them moaning

Couple of points. Give it time on terms of spending the dough. The investment in caskey looks a good one and he's just the sort of player we should be signing. Let's see what the rest of the window brings. In terms of the comparison with aribo and deli ali. I don't think it's about putting him in the shop window, it's robinsons natural excitability. It might bring the vultures but it might also be designed to give joe a boost. Imagine getting that praise from your boss. You'd be on top of the world.

With that win against bristol and our new signing and Ricky Holmes bag I'm feeling hopeful. A win next week and we can start to feel a even more hopeful. But I don't ever expect to beat them

jams said:

cabbie8 said:

Well we just don't know yet do we - could be good but failing to get into a Rotherham side isn't exactly a sign he's the second coming
    A young lad that couldn't settle in Rotherham.
    People were eager to judge Josh Magennis, before he kicked a ball.
    For crying out loud, give them a chance.