Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• Things are hotting up nicely then..
  • Someone is keen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Byrne. Apparently he's already signed!
  • Seems an encouraging signing if true. Anyone seen him play?
  • Great signing and cover/competition for Solly. I have been saying for a while that one of our problems recently has been that our LB & RB have not been chipping enough goals or assists. I know Fox got 2 in a game once but other than that i cant think of many. Fullbacks these days have to chip in too, hopefully this guy is a step in the right direction.
  • Actually signed him on football manager this year, decent at right back for me in the Championship, but excels in a support role on the right wing, seems to be pretty attack minded.

My concern is if having attacking full backs will put too much strain on our less than mobile central defenders. They aren't the slowest around, but Jorge and Patrick aren't exactly rapid either
  • Not sure we need any more signings after this. MAYBE if there's a shit-hot attacking player available, but I'm taking Watt to be Lookman's replacement as it stands. Not completely sure we've replaced Crofts either (pending JFC) but given his upturn in form we may not need to this season.
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3734645/Wolves-winger-Nathan-Byrne-wanted-Wigan-Preston.html#
    Is he a winger or a full back? This article from the summer describes him as a "tricky winger" so maybe he could also play in addition to Solly in the way Chicksen has been playing ahead of Fox recently
  • There's a youtube video of Nathan Byrne - I know they are designed to make a player look good but this did a very good job. Several decent finishes and more attacking threat in a 3 minute video than we ever saw from a recenly departed left back. Not convinced he's a proper defender - might be more attacking than that

He looks pacy, comfortable on the ball and attack minded. 13 goals for a 24yo full back is a very decent return. Highly promising...if it's true
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3734645/Wolves-winger-Nathan-Byrne-wanted-Wigan-Preston.html#
    Is he a winger or a full back? This article from the summer describes him as a "tricky winger" so maybe he could also play in addition to Solly in the way Chicksen has been playing ahead of Fox recently

That's what i reckon will happen and Da Silva or Chicksen in front of Page, and when Holmes is fit play in the number 10 role.
  • Swisdom said:

There's a youtube video of Nathan Byrne - I know they are designed to make a player look good but this did a very good job. Several decent finishes and more attacking threat in a 3 minute video than we ever saw from a recenly departed left back. Not convinced he's a proper defender - might be more attacking than that

He looks pacy, comfortable on the ball and attack minded. 13 goals for a 24yo full back is a very decent return. Highly promising...if it's true

https://youtu.be/Anx7fagibVY
  • I wonder if Katrien will try and ship Solly to Gillingham again.
  • edited January 2017
    Never heard of him.

Seemed to have done well with Swindon, like Ajose, and moved on to another club and not thrived, like Ajose.

Give us cover at RB and could be a starter at RW.

Welcome and good luck (WIOTOS)
  • edited January 2017
    These YouTube videos fill you with hope, don't they. Looks very attack minded in these clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anx7fagibVY
  • Am happy with Byrne joining (especially if its a perm deal)... Hope he can rediscover the form from when he was @ Swindon as hasnt quite worked out for him outside of League One as yet.

Certainly needs stability as this'll be his third club in as many years since leaving Swindon
  • Looked decent when he was at Swindon. Haven't seen much of him since then.
  • So if these rumoured ones go through does that leave us at 3 out and 4 brought in?
  • Come on Robinson sign more bloody centre midfielders and hurry up about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only remember him from Swindon TV matches but he clearly loves to attack and that video shows some tidy finishes. No idea about his defensive qualities but there's clearly talent enough there for this division if he can be fitted into a system that suits him. Over to KR now as he brings in players with that system in mind.
  • Got told about Byrne likely to be signing last week. Hence why if you look at my previous comments, he is included in a few potential teams I have put together.

Believe he will be used more of a midfielder than a right back but will still cover Solly if needed.

Very good going forward, very quick, good with both feet and has actually spent some of his career on the left as well, not much but has a little experience.

Going to be a good signing.
  • He's certainly not your bog standard full back. In those clips he popped up in all sorts of places that you would never see Solly or Fox for example. Nothing in those clips to showcase his defending. An interesting one. I'm impressed. Hope it's not a loan.
  • Proven League 1 player who is tricky, fast and can defend can't complain.

Good signing if true!
  • if can get him in and 1 more cm in without any going apart from Johnson or Ba think we would have had a good window and Robinson has acted quick and address the obvious issue with have had of lack of energy and pace in the team.

That's what i reckon will happen and Da Silva or Chicksen in front of Page, and when Holmes is fit play in the number 10 role.
    Could Tony Watt play in the number 10 role? He likes to drop deep and roam, so doesn't seem like a target man or fox in the box.
    Think that is exactly where KR has in mind for him to play and think we would be very effective there.