Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Everton agree fee for Lookman (ed. Gone)

Comments

• We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

Nothing more than a player farm now to line Duchatelet's pocket, absolutely despise him & Meire for what they continue to do to our club.

I've never felt so little for Charlton Athletic, thanks Roland, thanks Katrien - haven't been to The Valley for 13 months now because of you & what you are doing, held a season ticket from 1994 until last season & can honestly say, I can't ever see myself returning at any point.

Why are you on CL then, if you have no intention of ever watching Charlton at home in your lifetime ? Genuine question, assuming you're not abroad, incapacitated etc.
    that is a question that could be asked of a lot on here ..
    No it isn't.

Those that are boycotting are (overwhelmingly) doing so because of the regime. They see themselves returning when the regime leaves.
    you know this for a fact do you ? .. will you be buying/renewing a season ticket as soon as there is a regime change, if and when that happens ? .. best you speak for yourself and not attempt to read the minds of 'the overwhelming number of boycotters'
    Speaking for me, my brother and my nephew as soon as there is a regime change there will be three new season tickets sold for starters.
    Add me, one of my brothers and my son.

There were threads on here with people listing the numbers of years support they given and stating they would be back when they've gone.

As Theresa May said boycott means boycott
    but you're not boycotting, you're taking all the freebies you can get, asking for the loan of others' season tickets .. what you mean is that you are not (presumably) spending any money on CAFC merchandise or facilities .. is that not more accurate
    No, I'm boycotting.

When they go I'll spend money again.
    but if you attend any games at the Valley, that is NOT a boycott
    Sorry, didn't realise you were judge and jury of what is and isn't a boycott. What was that you were saying to AA about not talking for others?

MY boycott is not giving them money, my boycott, my rules.
    hahahahah .. I am not talking for others and keep your hair on because you're shown to be wrong ..

Boycott .. 'to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions' ..

methinks that YOU not others. in this context mean a 'partial boycott', when it suits
  • We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

Nothing more than a player farm now to line Duchatelet's pocket, absolutely despise him & Meire for what they continue to do to our club.

I've never felt so little for Charlton Athletic, thanks Roland, thanks Katrien - haven't been to The Valley for 13 months now because of you & what you are doing, held a season ticket from 1994 until last season & can honestly say, I can't ever see myself returning at any point.

Why are you on CL then, if you have no intention of ever watching Charlton at home in your lifetime ? Genuine question, assuming you're not abroad, incapacitated etc.
    No it isn't.

Those that are boycotting are (overwhelmingly) doing so because of the regime. They see themselves returning when the regime leaves.
    you know this for a fact do you ? .. will you be buying/renewing a season ticket as soon as there is a regime change, if and when that happens ? .. best you speak for yourself and not attempt to read the minds of 'the overwhelming number of boycotters'
    Speaking for me, my brother and my nephew as soon as there is a regime change there will be three new season tickets sold for starters.

There were threads on here with people listing the numbers of years support they given and stating they would be back when they've gone.

Ah, boycotting spending money on tickets not on attending the games.

Everyone has their own take on boycott.

Personally I thought he was a very dour batsman with a very old school view and he shouldn't have hit his missus either.

I'll get me coat.
  • edited January 2017

We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

No it isn't.

Personally I thought he was a very dour batsman with a very old school view and he shouldn't have hit his missus either.

I'll get me coat.
    he still maintains that he didn't .. unpleasant man and talks too much .. but he sure knows his cricket

No it isn't.

this could go on for years and years .. are you saying that even if we were to get back to the top flights (unlikely as it seems a t m ) you just WOULD NOT ever again go to the Valley to watch Charlton and neither would your family ? .. when does a 'fan' become an 'ex fan'
    This is all hypothetical but for us to get back to the PL under this regime would mean them doing a complete about turn and that isn't going to happen is it? However, if slowly, they started to run the Club properly and realise what being a Charlton fan means then I'm sure I could be won over but it's so unlikely it's not even worth a nano second considering.
  • Who knows what he may have done for Charlton had we not been taken over by these incompetents.
  • purdis said:

purdis said:

purdis said:

It's worth noting that clubs like Lyon used to start each season by putting a value next to each of their players, and selling them if it was above that value. During that time they won Ligue 1 seven times in a row.

However, despite this whenever a club came in for a player they immediately leaked or announced to the press that that player was not for sale and was invaluable to the side in order to ensure they got the price they wanted.

Now I'm not often one to lavish or even infer praise on Katrien, but I don't believe someone can be 100% wrong all of the time, so maybe this is a glimpse of shrewd business by her.

£7.5m guaranteed for a 19 year old in L1 who's only been at the club for about three years can't really be viewed as anything other than a decent sale. The most worrying thing for me is that in three years, this is the first genuinely good sale she's made. I'm glad we seem to have got a good deal but it's still a shocking track record
    How many players have we sold who are as good as Ademola with as much potential?
    I'm not really sure what you're asking here
    The comment was made or suggested that the Club, under KM, had a string of poor sales until this one popped up - my point is that none of those labelled under poor sales had the talent and potential of Ademola.

In terms of potential, Joe Gomez would likely take second place to Ade but after that, in terms of age, excitement value and pure potential, Ade is a class above anyone sold in his age group, and, as such, it is inaccurate to highlight a string of poor sales prior to this.
    Ah, thanks. I don't think I agree with what you're saying though. Firstly, I think Gomez would figure above Lookman in terms of potential. We'll have to see how he comes back from his knee injury but in my eyes if he gets developed properly he'll be the best talent we've ever produced.

Beyond that though, your criteria are too limited. We've been the victim of countless poor sales, it doesn't matter if they're not all potential England internationals, it only matters if we got a decent fee for them relative to their ability and how much our team was weakened as a result. Yann was a terrible sale, we never should have even contemplated selling him. Three years on regardless of whether we were Championship or L1 he'd still be in our first team. Morrison on a free was a shocking sale. Cousins for £1.25m was criminal. Johann for £2.5m to a Premiership team when he was one year into a four year deal was insane; Dyche couldn't believe his luck. You can add onto that all the bloody contracts we've cancelled as well. Tucudean, Bergdych, Parzyszek, Lepoint etc all signed for fees and then paid to leave the building. I can't find a fee for Harriott anywhere but somehow I doubt it was very high.

My points is, this is the first time you can look at a fee we've received for one of our first team players under this lot and say we got a decent deal. That's a shocking place to be in after three years
    Fair assessment, I would say but they admitted they'd got it wrong and underestimated the standard of the Championship which is why we are now getting English managers.

Let's not forget the good players that were brought in such as Igor (until his injury), Tony Watt whose talent was unquestionable, Kashi, Henderson, Tex, Bauer, Diarra, Fanni, JBG, Bulot, Buyens (best penalty taker ever?), Ben Haim, Motta .....
    These players were all good enough to play in a good Championship side.

The fees we got for Cousins and JBG were not unreasonable - just my opinion.

There's been some decent signings in there, I'd never deny that. The problem is they've been too few for the season they've come in.

The fees for JGB and Cousins were unreasonable. I've explained the JBG one at length in my previous post, but if you described a player in his prime, just off the back of a successful Euros who had more assists in the Championship than anyone else you'd expect to pay more than £2.5m. Dyche was literally laughing when he talked about the fee. Burnley then paid £10.5m for Jeff Hendrick. Granted he was sold by a team with more money than us, but he's also not four times the player Johann is.

As for Cousins, getting £1.25m from a former Premier League team for a 20 year old Academy product who had played 125 games for Charlton is a disgrace. There's no other way of looking at it. Maybe 10 years ago these would have been decent fees but they're a joke in the current transfer climate
    I respect your greater knowledge of current football finance so JBG was an undersell, on that basis.

As a Manager, though, you never know if you're going to get the player who peaked at that Championship where you first spotted him - JBG was a part of a team that was on the crest of a wave - we all know what he can be like when his team ain't winning.

Was sorry to see him (JBG) go, one of the best crossers of the ball ever at The Valley and his 88th minute thunderbolt to equalise against Cardiff is in my top three ever goals for Charlton - the way he won the ball and that.

Cousins, I would have to disagree with you because his weight of pass was very suspect - just my opinion.

No it isn't.

I'll get me coat.
    he still maintains that he didn't .. unpleasant man and talks too much .. but he sure knows his cricket
    I never knew Henry was a cricket expert :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

No it isn't.

Who are you to tell him for whom he may or may not speak? Is this the world as run by Lincs?

More to the point, by the very definition of boycott, boycotters are staying away until they come back, otherwise they're just people who've left. Why would they come back? Because the thing that's made them boycott no longer applies. Now, some may be boycotting because they didn't get enough chips, and some because they wanted to sit on the sofa, but the overwhelming number of boycotters are boycotting because of Roland and Katrien. Ergo, when those two, or perhaps just one, have or has left, these boycotters will stop boycotting.
    Can you name them though?
    Are you just being ornery or do you seriously think that's a relevant question?
    He's related to PL54.
  • clb74 said:

No it isn't.

Also little legs aka elfsborg
    Sitting next to you.

No it isn't.

I'll get me coat.
    In many respects he was our best ever opening batsman, if a tad selfish at times.
  • I played against Lookman once when he was at Waterloo FC. We lost 11-1 and he scored 6... not sure where i'm going with this, the guy ended my career. Best of luck to him, real talent

What you don't know is, you're going to be Lookman's replacement. Expect a call from the bloke who picks the team tomorrow (when Roly does call, ask him if he enjoyed his birthday).
  • Most talented youngster I've seen at Charlton. Outstanding prospect

You obviously never saw Paul Walsh or lee Bowyer
    Or even Gomez.
    Or Paul Bacon.
  • What a humble lad, great interview and he was very complimentary about CAFC, good luck to the lad.

No it isn't.

And me x 2.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have 4 waiting to be renewed here as soon as they are gone, not a boycott by OED definition as we have been twice to home games this season but a serious expression of disaproval.

And yes it does feel like I am biting my own nose to spite my face, I miss going to the Valley with my family regardless of results.

Do I think I am going to make a difference? no, they dont give a toss.

Best of luck Ade, some great performances and a bright future ahead of you, I fully expect to sell talent to bigger clubs but would prefer to see all of the money stay in the club.

• edited January 2017
    I have gone to more games than I haven't I must admit, but three of us used to go - we went as a family - I now go with my son and we don't spend any money apart from the ticket! When they go will start buying season tickets, kits and other Charlton tat again. Or heaven forbid, the current owner decides to start running the club properly - I'm not holding my breath for that one!
  • I wish him the same luck as I have done for dozens of exiting stars/starlets over the last 60 years.........will it ever stop I ask myself, will it ever stop!
  • I just got back from holiday and opened my CAFC calendar for this year (purchased by a friend as a Christmas present, I hasten to add) and find an Everton player staring back at me. It's all so depressing.

No it isn't.

but you're not boycotting, you're taking all the freebies you can get, asking for the loan of others' season tickets .. what you mean is that you are not (presumably) spending any money on CAFC merchandise or facilities .. is that not more accurate
    No, I'm boycotting.

When they go I'll spend money again.
    but if you attend any games at the Valley, that is NOT a boycott
    Sorry, didn't realise you were judge and jury of what is and isn't a boycott. What was that you were saying to AA about not talking for others?

MY boycott is not giving them money, my boycott, my rules.
    hahahahah .. I am not talking for others and keep your hair on because you're shown to be wrong ..

Boycott .. 'to engage in a concerted refusal to have dealings with (as a person, store, or organization) usually to express disapproval or to force acceptance of certain conditions' ..

methinks that YOU not others. in this context mean a 'partial boycott', when it suits
    Laughable that you've "shown me to be wrong" but I should know better to try and have an intelligent debate with you.

What you just defined as a boycott is just what I'm doing ie not having financial "dealings" with the club.

I know your "logic" doesn't work like anyone else's on this planet but even for you to define something and then contradict it in the same post is "unique".

Back to ignore mode.
  • cafc-west said:

I just got back from holiday and opened my CAFC calendar for this year (purchased by a friend as a Christmas present, I hasten to add) and find an Everton player staring back at me. It's all so depressing.

You'll have to do what I do. Find a picture of Jake Forster-Caskey. Cut off the head and name and stick it over Lookman's. Job done. Works for me. I always wonder how many other times I'll have to do the same thing each year...
    Just once, by the sound of it Lookman only appears on the page for January this year
  • cafc-west said:

I just got back from holiday and opened my CAFC calendar for this year (purchased by a friend as a Christmas present, I hasten to add) and find an Everton player staring back at me. It's all so depressing.

You'll have to do what I do. Find a picture of Jake Forster-Caskey. Cut off the head and name and stick it over Lookman's. Job done. Works for me. I always wonder how many other times I'll have to do the same thing each year...
    Just once, by the sound of it Lookman only appears on the page for January this year
    Alright, king of the pedants... (I leave you to nod this one in).
  • cafc-west said:

Alright, king of the pedants... (I leave you to nod this one in).
    Thank you

Without going back over all the previous posts again it's worth making the point that 'football club sells a player that appears on its annual calendar' probably isn't entirely unique to Charlton and given that there was always going to be a very good chance Lookman would go in the January window it was a nice gesture of the club to include him;

and a bit of good marketing of the general quality of the other lads we have on our books and a reminder why parents should send their kids to charlton if they've got any footballing talent and ambition.
  • I wonder what the difference financially between players out and players in ( wages and fees included) since Roly has been at the helm. At a guess I'd say he's in credit. Does anybody know ?
    Not pitch, academy building work or purchase of club