Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Everton agree fee for Lookman (ed. Gone)

Comments

• Good luck Ade. I enjoyed seeing glimpses of your brilliance. Think Everton are daft for paying so much for you, a big gamble. Hope you make it and do well at Everton. Very pleased it is not West Ham (again) or palarse. Fingers crossed you play for the full England team.
  • Scoham said:

Sky Sports using my ratings for Lookman.

Who gave Deulofue those ratings :lol:
  • I am pleased for Lookman, good deal for Charlton, wherever the money goes, but to think, even in his last game for us, people on here were saying how lazy he was, and did not rate him.
  • Most talented youngster I've seen at Charlton. Outstanding prospect
  • It's worth noting that clubs like Lyon used to start each season by putting a value next to each of their players, and selling them if it was above that value. During that time they won Ligue 1 seven times in a row.

However, despite this whenever a club came in for a player they immediately leaked or announced to the press that that player was not for sale and was invaluable to the side in order to ensure they got the price they wanted.

Now I'm not often one to lavish or even infer praise on Katrien, but I don't believe someone can be 100% wrong all of the time, so maybe this is a glimpse of shrewd business by her.

£7.5m guaranteed for a 19 year old in L1 who's only been at the club for about three years can't really be viewed as anything other than a decent sale. The most worrying thing for me is that in three years, this is the first genuinely good sale she's made. I'm glad we seem to have got a good deal but it's still a shocking track record
    How many players have we sold who are as good as Ademola with as much potential?
  • We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

Nothing more than a player farm now to line Duchatelet's pocket, absolutely despise him & Meire for what they continue to do to our club.

I've never felt so little for Charlton Athletic, thanks Roland, thanks Katrien - haven't been to The Valley for 13 months now because of you & what you are doing, held a season ticket from 1994 until last season & can honestly say, I can't ever see myself returning at any point.

Why are you on CL then, if you have no intention of ever watching Charlton at home in your lifetime ? Genuine question, assuming you're not abroad, incapacitated etc.
    that is a question that could be asked of a lot on here ..
    To quote Gen McAuliffe at Bastogne, "Nuts".

And that's me being polite.
  • markmc68 said:

7.5 m for a player that has limited experience is a hell of a gamble on Everton's part. He's not worth that amount and it won't be long before he's loaned out or stuck in the reserves. But I'm sure he has negotiated a nice contract and good luck to him. A long way from Waterloo FC.

Some might say he's dealt himself a Nap hand. Hopefully he won't be getting the (Blücher) boot anytime time soon.

He's not even the most talented youngster we've had in the last three years.
  • Sponsored links:

• My view of the deal
    For Ade - Fantastic / Great proper club with real fans / chuffed for him / Set up his future financially for life
    For RD - Fantastic deal / A young home player who with minimal investment became a lotto winning ticket
    For Club - Crap deal / The team lose someone with special quality / Youth leaves before it develops / Little if any of the total received will be invested into the first team

Piss off Roland you soulless scumbag. No sense of what football is all about. Sell. Sell. Sell

You obviously never saw Paul Walsh or lee Bowyer
    Point taken but Paul Walsh was 35 years ago - Lee Bowyer not in the same league as Walsh.

In recent years, Ademola must be up there with the best - the price reflects the potential.
  • purdis said:

It's worth noting that clubs like Lyon used to start each season by putting a value next to each of their players, and selling them if it was above that value. During that time they won Ligue 1 seven times in a row.

However, despite this whenever a club came in for a player they immediately leaked or announced to the press that that player was not for sale and was invaluable to the side in order to ensure they got the price they wanted.

Now I'm not often one to lavish or even infer praise on Katrien, but I don't believe someone can be 100% wrong all of the time, so maybe this is a glimpse of shrewd business by her.

£7.5m guaranteed for a 19 year old in L1 who's only been at the club for about three years can't really be viewed as anything other than a decent sale. The most worrying thing for me is that in three years, this is the first genuinely good sale she's made. I'm glad we seem to have got a good deal but it's still a shocking track record
    How many players have we sold who are as good as Ademola with as much potential?
    I'm not really sure what you're asking here
  • Ademola just posted this nice little snippet of an interview on his Instagram;

He comes across as a thoroughly likeable young man. Anyone who doesn't wish him the best in his career is as curmudgeonly as the entire cast of Last of the Summer Wine.
  • We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

Nothing more than a player farm now to line Duchatelet's pocket, absolutely despise him & Meire for what they continue to do to our club.

I've never felt so little for Charlton Athletic, thanks Roland, thanks Katrien - haven't been to The Valley for 13 months now because of you & what you are doing, held a season ticket from 1994 until last season & can honestly say, I can't ever see myself returning at any point.

Why are you on CL then, if you have no intention of ever watching Charlton at home in your lifetime ? Genuine question, assuming you're not abroad, incapacitated etc.
    No it isn't.

Those that are boycotting are (overwhelmingly) doing so because of the regime. They see themselves returning when the regime leaves.
    you know this for a fact do you ? .. will you be buying/renewing a season ticket as soon as there is a regime change, if and when that happens ? .. best you speak for yourself and not attempt to read the minds of 'the overwhelming number of boycotters'
    Who are you to tell him for whom he may or may not speak? Is this the world as run by Lincs?

More to the point, by the very definition of boycott, boycotters are staying away until they come back, otherwise they're just people who've left. Why would they come back? Because the thing that's made them boycott no longer applies. Now, some may be boycotting because they didn't get enough chips, and some because they wanted to sit on the sofa, but the overwhelming number of boycotters are boycotting because of Roland and Katrien. Ergo, when those two, or perhaps just one, have or has left, these boycotters will stop boycotting.
    Can you name them though?
  • clb74 said:

We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

No it isn't.

Those that are boycotting are (overwhelmingly) doing so because of the regime. They see themselves returning when the regime leaves.
    you know this for a fact do you ? .. will you be buying/renewing a season ticket as soon as there is a regime change, if and when that happens ? .. best you speak for yourself and not attempt to read the minds of 'the overwhelming number of boycotters'
    Who are you to tell him for whom he may or may not speak? Is this the world as run by Lincs?

More to the point, by the very definition of boycott, boycotters are staying away until they come back, otherwise they're just people who've left. Why would they come back? Because the thing that's made them boycott no longer applies. Now, some may be boycotting because they didn't get enough chips, and some because they wanted to sit on the sofa, but the overwhelming number of boycotters are boycotting because of Roland and Katrien. Ergo, when those two, or perhaps just one, have or has left, these boycotters will stop boycotting.
    Are you just being ornery or do you seriously think that's a relevant question?
  • purdis said:

It's worth noting that clubs like Lyon used to start each season by putting a value next to each of their players, and selling them if it was above that value. During that time they won Ligue 1 seven times in a row.

The comment was made or suggested that the Club, under KM, had a string of poor sales until this one popped up - my point is that none of those labelled under poor sales had the talent and potential of Ademola.

In terms of potential, Joe Gomez would likely take second place to Ade but after that, in terms of age, excitement value and pure potential, Ade is a class above anyone sold in his age group, and, as such, it is inaccurate to highlight a string of poor sales prior to this.
  • The JBG sale rings a bell here as being a bit on the cheap side.
  • Sponsored links:

• purdis said:

purdis said:

The comment was made or suggested that the Club, under KM, had a string of poor sales until this one popped up - my point is that none of those labelled under poor sales had the talent and potential of Ademola.

In terms of potential, Joe Gomez would likely take second place to Ade but after that, in terms of age, excitement value and pure potential, Ade is a class above anyone sold in his age group, and, as such, it is inaccurate to highlight a string of poor sales prior to this.
    If Yann wasn't a poor sale, i don't know what is. Compounded, of course, by the signing of Pete for twice what we got for Yann. Where are Pete and Yann now? Only one of them is doing the business in the Championship.
  • Addicks addict
    Lincsaddick original question was aimed just at the boycotters?
  • The JBG sale rings a bell here as being a bit on the cheap side.

The JBG sale rings a bell here as being a bit on the cheap side.

That would be the nearest to a poor sale but I said in terms of potential and age - JBG is in his 27th year.

Also, it is highly likely that JBG would not have left had we stayed up and the Club was forced to sell him as a knock on effect of the relegation.

Even after a successful European Championship where he excelled, Gudmundsson was a big risk for a Premiership Club as his pace is not electric so that would also have affected his market value at that time.

In potential terms, Lookman has it all and if he can sort out his final ball, the world should be his oyster.
  • clb74 said:

Addicks addict
    Lincsaddick original question was aimed just at the boycotters?

Is that a question or a statement? In either case, that's what I commented on.
  • se9addick said:

purdis said:

That would be the nearest to a poor sale but I said in terms of potential and age - JBG is in his 27th year.

Also, it is highly likely that JBG would not have left had we stayed up and the Club was forced to sell him as a knock on effect of the relegation.

Even after a successful European Championship where he excelled, Gudmundsson was a big risk for a Premiership Club as his pace is not electric so that would also have affected his market value at that time.

In potential terms, Lookman has it all and if he can sort out his final ball, the world should be his oyster.
    Joe Gomez is a much better prospect than Lookman IMO.

I know Gomez can play at Premier League level, I think Lookman might be able to.
    I agree with you there, but strikers go at a premium and we know Lookman can score. If he does make the grade, £10-£11,000,000 is a snip.
  • clb74 said:

We've always sold our young players, what annoys me now is that we don't see these players for any length of time before they are shipped on.

No it isn't.

Are you just being ornery or do you seriously think that's a relevant question?
    Digressing once more from the Ade Lookman topic .. of course the question is relevant .. you usually write good sense on here but your reply to my earlier post (not addressed to you by the way) referring to chips, sofas etc. is not worthy of you .. unless you have spoken to a LOT of 'boycotters' and can name them, your reply is worthless and like 90% my posts .. merely an OPINION .. and the world is not run by me (unfortunately), not yet lol
    .. when someone makes a statement that supposedly includes their opinion along with a host of others, it is legitimate to ask .. ' .and how do you know that your opinion is widely held' .. answer neither he nor you do know .. it's just another bogus counter to justify your position as a boycotter/regime hater, a position you can hold with pride, but don't weaken your case by ridiculing and arguing fallaciously against others opinions and question
  • se9addick said:

purdis said:

Joe Gomez is a much better prospect than Lookman IMO.

I know Gomez can play at Premier League level, I think Lookman might be able to.
    I agree with you there, but strikers go at a premium and we know Lookman can score. If he does make the grade, £10-£11,000,000 is a snip.
    Quite, but the point @purdis was making was that Lookman had more potential than Gomez - I strongly disagree with that.
  • purdis said:

purdis said:

If Yann wasn't a poor sale, i don't know what is. Compounded, of course, by the signing of Pete for twice what we got for Yann. Where are Pete and Yann now? Only one of them is doing the business in the Championship.
    You've opened up an old wound there and made me wince - I'd shut that terrible event out of my mind.

Funny but I always felt Yann was still not giving us everything, such was his talent.

Will never forget when he came back to The Valley for Reading and scored twice as a , "Here's what you've let go" comment.

Point taken but overall, we haven't had a string of quality players to sell at all , let alone poorly.

I was sorry to see Diarra and Fanni go, tbh.