Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Thought it was a fully deserved point, 1st half wasn't great, 2nd half much better,
  • Options
    Very enjoyable and a well deserved point. Aribo outstanding, Tex good, rest OK apart from Ajose who was garbage - we need to get rid. Good away support.
  • Options
    As the game went on I felt we deserved a point
  • Options
    Either the beer is chatting or I have serious manlove for Texieria.
  • Options
    Came away very encouraged. We have some great youngsters. Aribo is some player. Haven't seen defenders put so easily on their backsides since the days of Paul Mortimer, and he did it twice today, first time he hit the bar, second time put it on a plate for Crofts to fire home. Great energy, skill, and composure in midfield for such a young inexperienced player. Konsa, fast and skilful down the right. KHG full of confidence and running. Botaka, great determination in the build up to the goal. Uneventful first half, but we really went for it in the second, and but for a couple of great saves from their keeper, we'd have come away with three points.
  • Options

Had tickets but decided to give it a miss around 9am this morning.

Sums up how I'm starting to feel about things at our club & very worrying.

Listened via Player & on the whole, it sounded as though a draw was a fair result after we stepped up our game in the 2nd half.

Commentators agreed that young Joe Aribo was their MOM , so RD will no doubt be rubbing his hands in anticipation of a future sale.

Will be at The Valley on Monday to see whether this upsurge in attacking football continues.

I thought you were boycotting? H.N.Y.
  • Options
    This proves it. We're just about to come good.

Any second now...
  • Options
    waldo said:

Had tickets but decided to give it a miss around 9am this morning.

Sums up how I'm starting to feel about things at our club & very worrying.

Listened via Player & on the whole, it sounded as though a draw was a fair result after we stepped up our game in the 2nd half.

Commentators agreed that young Joe Aribo was their MOM , so RD will no doubt be rubbing his hands in anticipation of a future sale.

Will be at The Valley on Monday to see whether this upsurge in attacking football continues.

I thought you were boycotting? H.N.Y.
    Where did that come from ?

And HNY to you too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In a box today, great time was had by all.

Thought ok first 15 minutes and last 15, other than that poor at times, Ajose is nicking a living. Game changed when Botaka came on. Aribo in midfield was a breath of fresh air, but how long can we hang on to him?
  • Options
    We are still only playing with ten men with ajose on the pitch. We equalised because he was taken off and Botaka was brought on and through his efforts the goal came. When will Robinson learn that Ajose has no hunger to chase anything, fight for anything or even keep the ball. He is an irrelevance on the pitch and Botaka changed the game simply by being an eleventh man. Everyone else including Fox had a half decent game; its just that Fox has a habit of playing the ball in the wrong direction (ie out of play at seriously crucial moments) I really like Aribo and I thought their goal was a good one and it was not lack of effort on our part that enabled it. We had plenty of chances to score but when you have only Magennis up front (discount ajose) it is hard unless you have someone with him working as hard as he obviously did. It is STILL encouraging and given Southend's form I would have taken a draw before the game. I seriously hope Robinson changes his thought on personnel up front before Monday. Could have got three points today.
  • Options
    Don't agree that no one was to blame for the goal. Cox was unmarked at the corner and no one bothered to pick him up after. Also if we'd have cleared our lines properly, he'd have been caught offside when the ball came back in. Lack of leadership and discipline in defence to blame in both cases (not helped by playing people out of position).
  • Options
    A deserved point, but no idea why Ajose is playing out wide, as he's hopeless in that position
    Aribo mom, KEY when he came on looked fit and aggressive which is a good sign.
  • Options
    If Robinson persists with this formation (4-2-3-1) then I genuinely worry that our season will fade out, we need to pick the best formation for the players we have, not the other way round. Ajose's only quality is (possibly) scoring goals, if we aren't going to play him through the middle then we just shouldn't play him and start with Botaka instead.

The beginning of the end for Slade was the supporters chanting "4-4-2" at Oxford away, if Robinson doesn't drop this ridiculous formation he'll find himself in similar circumstances.

Shout outs to Aribo & Chickeson who had great games and look like exciting prospects. Phillips is starting to look very assured at this level and I doubt a centre back in this league will play as well as Tex this entire Christmas period.
  • Options

Came away very encouraged. We have some great youngsters. Aribo is some player. Haven't seen defenders put so easily on their backsides since the days of Paul Mortimer, and he did it twice today, first time he hit the bar, second time put it on a plate for Crofts to fire home. Great energy, skill, and composure in midfield for such a young inexperienced player. Konsa, fast and skilful down the right. KHG full of confidence and running. Botaka, great determination in the build up to the goal. Uneventful first half, but we really went for it in the second, and but for a couple of great saves from their keeper, we'd have come away with three points.

I can just see Douchbag sitting in that restaurant tonight, ordering another bottle of champagne and thinking to himself that's next season's losses catered for.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Game changed after Ajose went off. He was useless. I've never seen a player put in less effort. No excuse for that. The team seemed to start giving it a go when he went off.
    As bad as Fox can be and he wasn't great today, at least he never stops trying. Thought that some of the criticism that came his way today was unjustified.
    Other than scoring the goal I thought that Crofts was terrible. Not going to home games so it might just be how he is, but he was so pedestrian.
    The kids looked good, especially Aribo and in a cameo role Ahearne-Grant. Roland will be rubbing his hands at the thought of future transfer windows (if he's still around).
    Cox should never have been allowed to get the shot in for their goal.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Maybe it's because I was in the Southend crowd at the other end so had a better view, but the two chances they had to finish us off were absolutely golden. Especially the second one, where the striker had two or three touches to ready himself. Their keeper made a couple of saves, sure, but they absolutely should have won this game comfortably.

I don't mean to be negative, but a good finish can't gloss over that we were fortunate to be in with a chance of taking a point. We did well to get it when we went for it, the substitutions especially worked. But there were long stints of this game where we were shockingly poor, and Southend must be kicking themselves.
  • Options

I can just see Douchbag sitting in that restaurant tonight, ordering another bottle of champagne and thinking to himself that's next season's losses catered for.

Unless he's planning on getting about £12m for Joe Aribo he'd better think again !
  • Options
    Wasn't there but sounds like a decent perfomance by all accounts.
    Can't help but think where we would be were it not for the academy players who have made the step up.
    I mean, if dresden and Meire had not come to a club with such a strong youth system, it is a tad scary to think what/who they would fill those positions with.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Really hope my goal celebration doesn't make it on to Channel 5. If so Mrs Otto won't allow my boys to attend another away game.

Not a great performance (apart from the last 25) Comedy moment was their physio - he must have weighed 25 stone. When treating a player, he got up and the fat on his legs must have cut the blood supply off to the lower part of his legs (top half were red and the bottom white). @Clem_Snide made a comment and Konsa was in hysterics.

Aribo was immense - hes played 4 or 5 games, but looked a seasoned pro today - he's got a big future ahead of him.

If we were to get 50p for Fox then I'd be over the moon. As soon as Ajose....as soon as he went off, we seemed a different proposition. He just skulks around thinking he's Charlie big potatoes. Admittedly We don't give him a great deal of service, but f@ck me, he's just not interested.

Def a point gained.
  • Options
    if you take in to consideration the team we were forced to put out today I thought we where fantastic, I know the defending for the goal was not great and they also had one or two opportunities in the second half but we also created some great chances of our own, their keeper was named man of the match by the way. When Robinson has a full squad to pick from I think things could get rather exciting for us charlton fans. I also thought the following today was good, 1800 crammed in behind the goal was a decent turn out.
  • Options
    I'd swap ajose and Fox for the Southend physio.
  • Options
    Their Physio,Pie in his pocket he's got a pie in his pocket.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Konsa was nearly joining in with that chant.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Konsa was trying his best not to laugh when that was sung