Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Happy New Year to you Fanny and all the best to Mr F. He shall overcome, just as we will overcome.
    With fans like you we cannot, ultimately, fail.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Fox receives ball

*tense silence*

Fox plays slide-rule pass to one side of Magennis

*Oh for fu...*

Magennis gets to ball first

*tense silence*

Magennis miscontrols ball, possession is lost

*F**K OFF FOX YOU USELESS C**T*

It's absolutely f**king pathetic by this point. I wish I could boo some of our supporters

Except you miss the part where every right winger this season (including oldham and Shrewsbury) turns him inside out or had so much room because fox has decided to be a third centre back!!!
  • Options

Leuth said:

Fox receives ball

*tense silence*

*Oh for fu...*

*tense silence*

It's absolutely f**king pathetic by this point. I wish I could boo some of our supporters

Except you miss the part where every right winger this season (including oldham and Shrewsbury) turns him inside out or had so much room because fox has decided to be a third centre back!!!
    It's bullshit like this that just cements Leuth's view on the matter
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    We started off well and were the better side for the first quarter of an hour. I blame it on the 17th minute malarky; I don't think our players knew how to handle a round of spontaneous applause. For the rest of the half Southend looked much better. Cox was entering the box at will, the rest of their attacking and midfield players playing some neat controlled football with skill, pace and a sense of direction. Things improved in the second half, particularly after we'd swapped Botaka for Ajose. Agree with others that Aribo was our man of the match, though I think there were probably two or three Shrimpers who did as well as him. Overall I think Southend shaded it, but not by so much that a draw was unfair. Hopefully we can use that second half performance as a springboard to build some momentum.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Leuth said:

Fox receives ball

*tense silence*

*Oh for fu...*

*tense silence*

Or bullshit like this where a very poor player keeps getting defended just because he is home grown. He is a terrible player and is lucky to have played 100 games. I agree that he shouldn't be boo'd but he shouldn't be in the team. Tell me then, how many right wingers haven't looked good up against fox this season
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

This proves it. We're just about to come good.

Any second now...

If it takes us as long as it's taken Sheff Utd, I won't hold my breath waiting.
  • Options

redman said:

Had tickets but decided to give it a miss around 9am this morning.

Sums up how I'm starting to feel about things at our club & very worrying.

Will be at The Valley on Monday to see whether this upsurge in attacking football continues.

Saddest moment of the day reading this post. Your one of the things Charlton stand for Fanny. This is something they don't get. We WILL get our club back, then we will all look forward to going again.
    Happy New Year.
    Bless you, @redman.

I've been suffering with a nasty cold for nearly 2 weeks which has brought me down & left me a tad depressed. Struggling to attend the Millwall game, followed by the disappointing performance didn't help & apart from the result, MKDons wasn't much better IMO. Mr F has also been diagnosed with prostate cancer recently with his op due in early Feb so obviously some concerns there are overshadowing other "stuff".

I was more positive after listening on Player this afternoon & felt that more of "my kind of players" were involved ( eg Aribo & Chicksen). I'm sure I'll get my mojo back before long but the make up of the team in future will depend on KR's success in signing up those he really wants...

Like you & your lovely wife, I NEED this club in my life & it hurts so much to see its destruction at first hand, wrought by these cold, detached Belgians.

A Happy New Year to you both & to all Lifers. Freedom from this regime would mean a truly wonderful 2017 in prospect.
    Sorry to hear your woes Jean. Hope all turns a corner for you and Mr F soon. CAFC is a poor third priority behind your family's health and happiness although a pick me up in that department would help us all too!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I have been so angry with the owner recently that staying away has been easier. If the hint was dropped that Watt might play - I'd be at the Valley like a shot tomorrow.
  • Options
    Its ridiculous though that we're happy with a point at Southend. No disrespect to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017

Was at the game and cant believe people are saying we didnt deserve a draw. Their goal was the only real chance of the game... And watch our players get pulled around for the corner that led to their goal.

Other than Phillips' several saves?
    That's what goalkeepers (are supposed to) do. It's actually quite rare for a keeper to save a shot that another goalkeeper would have missed.
    However: I wasn't there so can't comment if these were in that category or not. If they were, then we were clearly lucky again.

Am I the only person here who'll be disgruntled if Ajose starts on Monday?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Nope
  • Options

The trouble is that by the time we get our better players fit and bring in any new signings we will be so far behind that we won't be able to catch up.
    Yet another season wasted by meire's total incompetence

we're just 6 point off a play off spot .. admittedly we are dependant on the teams above us dropping points .. BUT .. 6 points is not insurmountable .. I maintain that our squad, even before any reinforcements, is one of the strongest in this division .. ALL (admittedly a big all) it needs is good management and a pattern so that it can play to its strengths
    I see where you're coming from Lincs but by the time Holmes ,Kashi etc are match fit and by the time we sign anybody worth while we could be 10 or 12 points adrift.
    Most teams are strengthened in the summer, but with these clowns in charge we are not like most teams
    Yes, we could be, but at the moment, as Lincs stated, we are only six points adrift and this achieved by a 'bare bones' team missing 4/5 of our best players for the past couple of months. Still half of the season to go, so who knows what we might achieve.

At least there are some of us on here who try to remain positive!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    jdmotion said:

Was at the game and cant believe people are saying we didnt deserve a draw. Their goal was the only real chance of the game... And watch our players get pulled around for the corner that led to their goal.

That's what goalkeepers (are supposed to) do. It's actually quite rare for a keeper to save a shot that another goalkeeper would have missed.
    However: I wasn't there so can't comment if these were in that category or not. If they were, then we were clearly lucky again.

I've had my doubts about Ajose since I saw him at Walsall early season, where he actually scored a couple of tap ins and now that Robinson favours a 4-2-3-1 formation he is being used out wide. To be fair he worked hard at Bradford in this role but it is alien to him and the poaching attributes for which he was signed are not being used.

He's mainly a goal hanger who struggles to hold up play so is no good up top on his own. Sad to say but I think his days are numbered under KR.
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

This proves it. We're just about to come good.

Any second now...

If it takes us as long as it's taken Sheff Utd, I won't hold my breath waiting.
    Maybe it took the time that The Blades took to find the right manager? If so just maybe we have found our right gaffer in KR? Let's wait and see but it could be a fun ride as grey he most certainly isn't.

• Options
    JonnyK said:

sam3110 said:

Leuth said:

Fox receives ball

*tense silence*

*Oh for fu...*

*tense silence*

Or bullshit like this where a very poor player keeps getting defended just because he is home grown. He is a terrible player and is lucky to have played 100 games. I agree that he shouldn't be boo'd but he shouldn't be in the team. Tell me then, how many right wingers haven't looked good up against fox this season

sam3110 said:

Leuth said:

Fox receives ball

*tense silence*

*Oh for fu...*

*tense silence*

Let's get this into perspective - I am just a fan and therefore a well intentioned amateur in the business that is football. I make my own judgements on what I see but will always defer to the professional advice.

Therefore how come all of the many managers/coaches he has played under during his tenure at VFR have commended him for his attitude and commitment and have continued to play him week in week out?

Yes maybe some of those coaches have been less than great but they can't all have been wrong? Also the young man has had the misfortune of playing whilst being verbally abused by a section of our crowd which just adds to his reputation.

Finally are the scouting staff at the Wendies clueless as well as all our coaches and managers.

Just saying as criticisms defy professional logic ...........
    It's a really tough one because we cannot turn round and say that he is a consistently good player and quite often he is poor and his game error strewn.

For me, your point on why he's being consistently selected for the first team by a string of Managers and why Wendies would want him if he's really that bad hits the nail on the head bang on.

He's a frustrating player to watch but he's still a relative youngster learning his game which suggests he can improve, that he has potential which those directly involved in the game at professional level obviously recognise more than we laymen.

I wasn't saying that he would end up as successful as Simon Francis but that he could - he's still young.

If he's used correctly and is supplied good cover from both his winger, his midfield and his fellow defenders moving across when he's out of position then he can improve, for sure - maybe Wendies want him more as a wing back in a 3-5-2 or something like?
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

The trouble is that by the time we get our better players fit and bring in any new signings we will be so far behind that we won't be able to catch up.

we're just 6 point off a play off spot .. admittedly we are dependant on the teams above us dropping points .. BUT .. 6 points is not insurmountable .. I maintain that our squad, even before any reinforcements, is one of the strongest in this division .. ALL (admittedly a big all) it needs is good management and a pattern so that it can play to its strengths
    I see where you're coming from Lincs but by the time Holmes ,Kashi etc are match fit and by the time we sign anybody worth while we could be 10 or 12 points adrift.
    Most teams are strengthened in the summer, but with these clowns in charge we are not like most teams
    Yes, we could be, but at the moment, as Lincs stated, we are only six points adrift and this achieved by a 'bare bones' team missing 4/5 of our best players for the past couple of months. Still half of the season to go, so who knows what we might achieve.

Well Al I'm pleased that you can remain positive, you are not alone there are a few posters on here who can.
    Personally any positivity that i had has been crushed by the incompetent arseholes that are running our club.
    Me being positive again will only happen when they sell the club and fuck off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jdmotion said:

My point was that if there had been no chances there would have been no saves.
  • Options

Essex_Al said:

Well Al I'm pleased that you can remain positive, you are not alone there are a few posters on here who can.
    Personally any positivity that i had has been crushed by the incompetent arseholes that are running our club.
    Me being positive again will only happen when they sell the club and fuck off
    That's not quite the Stevie I know - keep the Faith mate and look forward to seeing you tomorrow Mate
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It just kept happening. He'd chip a long ball downfield with nothing else on, people would grumble, then either Magennis would control it (stony silence) or a defender would get there first (fuck off Fox you fucking waste of space shit shit fucking shit). His one attempt to beat his winger in a defensive situation (in the opening five minutes!) didn't go so well - he lost it (FUCK OFF FOX) and had to pull off a good tackle to concede a throw (silence). He also won us several corners with enterprising play down the wing (silence) and found Aribo a few times bursting through the inside-left channel (silence). His two shots were high and wide (RETIRE ALREADY YOU STUPID PRICK) and arrowing at the top corner (this keeper's pretty good eh!) - his tackles got grudging applause at best. On and on it went - a difficult first-time cross of a bobbling ball gets cleared (you've got to beat the FIRST DEFENDER), a decent cross to the far post is fielded by the keeper (not good enough FOX). I hope he scores against Bristol Rovers and gives it to the Covered End

........ and people say that we always like our own more than outsiders - well that theory has been blown away.

Hope the young man keeps his head down, keeps listening to his coaches and has a worthy career in the upper echelons of the game. He will also have secured his financial future by his mid 30's and can chuckle at the abuse he received by the less enlightened at SE7.

Assuming he goes north who is the next next one to cop it after Ajose is hounded out??
  • Options

se9addick said:

If Robinson persists with this formation (4-2-3-1) then I genuinely worry that our season will fade out, we need to pick the best formation for the players we have, not the other way round. Ajose's only quality is (possibly) scoring goals, if we aren't going to play him through the middle then we just shouldn't play him and start with Botaka instead.

The beginning of the end for Slade was the supporters chanting "4-4-2" at Oxford away, if Robinson doesn't drop this ridiculous formation he'll find himself in similar circumstances.

Shout outs to Aribo & Chickeson who had great games and look like exciting prospects. Phillips is starting to look very assured at this level and I doubt a centre back in this league will play as well as Tex this entire Christmas period.

No problem
    Rd email in the morning will explain the 4-4-2 to karl
    The big man might actually have to intervene this time !
  • Options
    Can't get excited over a point it's another point on the board but another 2 missed out on, Karl Robinson i still find increasingly annoying he needs to get some wins on the board, must win next game as we know the result of the game after, happy new year to everyone on here
  • Options
    If you fancy a bit of a smile, have a look ay Magennis on their keeper just after Crofts goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz70gL4v3R0
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It just kept happening. He'd chip a long ball downfield with nothing else on, people would grumble, then either Magennis would control it (stony silence) or a defender would get there first (fuck off Fox you fucking waste of space shit shit fucking shit). His one attempt to beat his winger in a defensive situation (in the opening five minutes!) didn't go so well - he lost it (FUCK OFF FOX) and had to pull off a good tackle to concede a throw (silence). He also won us several corners with enterprising play down the wing (silence) and found Aribo a few times bursting through the inside-left channel (silence). His two shots were high and wide (RETIRE ALREADY YOU STUPID PRICK) and arrowing at the top corner (this keeper's pretty good eh!) - his tackles got grudging applause at best. On and on it went - a difficult first-time cross of a bobbling ball gets cleared (you've got to beat the FIRST DEFENDER), a decent cross to the far post is fielded by the keeper (not good enough FOX). I hope he scores against Bristol Rovers and gives it to the Covered End

Good to see that Morgan is being defended by some which is fundamentally right. All players have their moments but some of the negative comments especially about Fox is ridiculous. Yesterday at the game we listened to a so called "expert" who shouted abuse at Crofts, Fox, Aribo before Southend scored. At this point he directed his vile abuse at Phillips for not saving Cox's shot and when challenged on it couldn't defend his comments and backtracked and looked stupid when Phillips pulled off a cracker.

I'm definitely in the pro Fox camp and thought he was ok but recognise his crossing could be worked on.

There is nothing wrong in airing frustrations but the personal comments are. Many of the contributors wouldn't say it face to face I'd like to bet.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If you fancy a bit of a smile, have a look ay Magennis on their keeper just after Crofts goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz70gL4v3R0

Nice one Josh :smiley:
  • Options
    Fox did well to get his shot on target as he slipped just beforehand ..........
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

sam3110 said:

Leuth said:

Fox receives ball

*tense silence*

*Oh for fu...*

*tense silence*

So you don't see a problem with Fox doing nothing wrong in a particular incident, another player messing up and Fox getting abused for it? And when the stupidity of that reaction is pointed out you decide it's just people protecting Fox because he's home grown not people pointing out how ludicrous and frankly embarrassing the fans behaviour at that particular incident was? Your answer to someone pointing out some fan stupidity is to justify it by saying well Fox has made lots of previous mistakes! You seem to miss the part where that sort of justification sounds really dumb. We might as well take it further and even if Fox is on the bench, or even when he's no longer playing for us, we should shout abuse at him for every mistake any player ever makes. Keeps it simple, and clearly there are fans who can only do simple.
    Read what I said. I said that a player shouldn't be boo'd but he is a very poor left back. Every manager has picked him because they've had little other option. Chicksen looks a lot better player but I'm guessing Roland instructs him to play as he is a sellable asset.