Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Matt's son, Charlie, is in the same Kent age group as Seb. He is over 6 foot tall and plays in goal for the Gillingham youth team. Not a "chip off the old block".

well it's obviously not his son then, Matt is a fuckin midget, how tall is the milkman

• For those of us wondering why Fabian Cowdrey wasn't on the recent tour, here is the answer:

The most famous family association in cricket is in danger of being severed after 67 years, with Fabian Cowdrey in dispute with Kent over his future.

Fabian, the latest member of the Cowdrey clan to play for Kent, did not go on the recent tour to the West Indies and has yet to start pre-season training.

He is understood to want the final year of his contract paid out as Kent have given him no assurances of regular cricket after he was limited to mainly T20 appearances last summer.

Fabian, who joined the Kent staff in 2011 rather than go to university, is understood to be working with his songwriter brother Julius, who appears in reality show Made in Chelsea, while he sorts out his cricket options.

His grandfather Colin, one of English cricket's greatest names, first played for Kent in 1950 and the Cowdrey name was on the county team sheet for the next 47 years as Fabian's father Chris, briefly England captain, and Uncle Graham followed on.

In comparison, Fabian has failed to make much of a county impact, although he did break his grandfather's record for the number of runs scored for Tonbridge School.

• To me he's a bit of a bits and pieces player...
  • He's not that good. The Cowdrey genes ain't what they used to be.

I work with a guy who used to play cricket with him and apparently he's a bit of a knob anyway!
  • In addition to George Kennedy, the Kent Chairman, standing down, according to The Times, Allan Donald will not be joining us after all:

Jason Gillespie is in talks with Kent about joining the county this season on a short-term contract.

The former Yorkshire head coach left Headingley at the end of last year, having won two County Championship titles in five seasons, to return to Australia to spend more time with his family and to coach the Adelaide Strikers in the Big Bash League.

The 41-year-old wishes to keep his permanent base in South Australia, but is looking at options for short-term coaching roles in other countries outside of the Australian domestic season.

As revealed exclusively by The Times, former South Africa fast bowler Allan Donald, who was hired by Kent as the assistant coach, is unable to obtain a visa to coach in England because he does not meet the ECB and Home Office visa requirements of having a Level 3 coaching qualification.

Donald, who has had coaching roles all around the world and spent 13 years with Warwickshire as an overseas player, lived in England during his long stint with the Midlands county and was employed by England as a bowling consultant in 2007, although the working visa rules have been significantly tightened up since then. Counties are regularly notified by the ECB of any visa rule changes that would affect the recruitment of overseas players or coaches.

Kent are now weighing up whether to try to fast-track Donald through the necessary coaching qualification in South Africa or explore another option by trying to get him a spousal visa through his English wife, Tina, to allow him to join up with the county later in the season. However, a spousal visa would not necessarily guarantee that Donald could take on a paid coaching position with Kent.

It is understood that the county have also been in contact with Gary Kirsten, the former South Africa coach. Kirsten could also take on a short-term role or, in the event that Donald cannot obtain a visa this season, may be able to take the job for the whole season.

Kent, who are also yet to recruit an overseas player for this season, are likely to make a final decision on the coaching situation in the next few days.
  • Alan Donald can't get a visa???????

It's not what you've done on the pitch but what you've got on paper! Doubt whether Lara or Tendulkar have Level 3 so they wouldn't be able to coach how to bat either!

It's not what you've done on the pitch but what you've got on paper! Doubt whether Lara or Tendulkar have Level 3 so they wouldn't be able to coach how to bat either!
    Without getting in Brexit and EU territory, there is something weird about rules which prevent a cricketing legend like Donald, who has been coaching at a high level coming in, whereas the likes of Karel Fraeye can come in! Or Luzon for that matter, a non EU citizen, who DID get his work permit eventually!

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39266973

Joe Weatherley signs on loan from Hampshire for the season

• *jumping for joy*
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2017
    Looks like a very promising youngster;however, we have lots of em don't we.
  • pettgra said:

We seem to have a lack of promising youngsters in the 19-23 group - I think Hugh Bernard, a seamer, is the only one who has played a first class game in that age group and he has only the one match to his name at that.

Ollie Robinson, who is 18, made his Class A debut on the recent tour and it will be interesting to see if he can kick on from there.
  • pettgra said:

We seem to have a lack of promising youngsters in the 19-23 group - I think Hugh Bernard, a seamer, is the only one who has played a first class game in that age group and he has only the one match to his name at that.

Ollie Robinson, who is 18, made his Class A debut on the recent tour and it will be interesting to see if he can kick on from there.
    Ah ok.As an aside, lets hope we go up.This has to be our best chance for a long time.
  • edited March 2017
    -

• Would have had Ryan Davies of course. And Zac Crawley was in that intake. They have been looking for quick bowlers in that age group. Plenty of young batting from previous generation.

Any rumours the overseas player(s)? A must I would say especially a quickie.
  • edited March 2017
    kentred2 said:

Would have had Ryan Davies of course. And Zac Crawley was in that intake. They have been looking for quick bowlers in that age group. Plenty of young batting from previous generation.

Any rumours the overseas player(s)? A must I would say especially a quickie.

Hot off the press:

Kent’s hopes of unveiling an overseas player to join them for the opening three months of the season have been hit by injury.

The county were hoping to announce the signing of an international fast bowler but have been hampered by the reluctance of international boards to release players on the eve of the ICC Champions Trophy, which will take place in England in June.

To make matters worse, Kentonline has learned that injuries to two shortlisted candidates have scuppered the club's plans, although Kent were in talks with another target this week.

Meanwhile, the club are hopeful that progress is being made in their bid to appoint an interim assistant coach – widely believed to be Jason Gillespie – before the start of the Championship season next month.

Kent have agreed terms on a short-term deal but the ECB are currently working on ratifying the coach’s visa and qualifications ahead of rubber-stamping the deal.

One new face at pre-season training, which began in Canterbury on Monday, was that of Joe Weatherley, a 20-year-old former England under-19s batsman who arrives from Hampshire on a year’s loan.

Head coach Matt Walker said: “It’s another fine young batter in the squad.

“I haven’t seen too much of him but he’s highly regarded by Hampshire. He’s organised, ambitious and is a good lad. He’s fitted in brilliantly.

“He has an experienced head on young shoulders and has captained England under-19s so he’s got a decent cricket brain.”

He added: “He adds to our batting unit. I know he’s a Hampshire player but I said to him he’s part of our squad and challenging for a first team place like all our players."

Walker claimed first XI places were up for grabs before the first Championship game at home to Gloucestershire on April 7, adding: “We have been a fairly settled top five for the past year but it’s not to say someone can’t force their way in.

“At the start of the year you want to have an open mind. I have no fixed idea in my head of what that first team will look like, that’s up to other people to push their claim. That’s what pre season is about.”
  • I wonder who that was then?? Anyone here got any guesses.
  • Head coach Matt Walker said: “It’s another fine young batter in the squad.

“I haven’t seen too much of him....

...... but Driesen has said his stats are great.
  • Jason Gillespie reported as flying over this weekend to meet up with the squad ahead of their opening game.
  • Jason Gillespie reported as flying over this weekend to take the new ball in meet up with the squad ahead of their opening game.

• Sponsored links:

• Wondered who our overseas player was going to be...
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39366019
    "Obviously I moved back to Adelaide for family reasons last year but the opportunity to assist Kent on a short-term basis was one that I couldn't resist and works well with my current situation," he said.

"I look forward to helping Matt Walker and (Kent captain) Sam Northeast over the next couple of months until I hand over to Allan Donald."
  • For those of us wondering why Fabian Cowdrey wasn't on the recent tour, here is the answer:

The most famous family association in cricket is in danger of being severed after 67 years, with Fabian Cowdrey in dispute with Kent over his future.

Fabian, the latest member of the Cowdrey clan to play for Kent, did not go on the recent tour to the West Indies and has yet to start pre-season training.

He is understood to want the final year of his contract paid out as Kent have given him no assurances of regular cricket after he was limited to mainly T20 appearances last summer.

Fabian, who joined the Kent staff in 2011 rather than go to university, is understood to be working with his songwriter brother Julius, who appears in reality show Made in Chelsea, while he sorts out his cricket options.

His grandfather Colin, one of English cricket's greatest names, first played for Kent in 1950 and the Cowdrey name was on the county team sheet for the next 47 years as Fabian's father Chris, briefly England captain, and Uncle Graham followed on.

In comparison, Fabian has failed to make much of a county impact, although he did break his grandfather's record for the number of runs scored for Tonbridge School.

No surprise but Cowdrey has now left Kent "by mutual consent". The name clearly does not carry the weight it once did.
  • I see we are 3rd favourites at 5/1

Notts are faves with Sussex 2nd.
  • Overseas could be key to our season.

No surprise but Cowdrey has now left Kent "by mutual consent". The name clearly does not carry the weight it once did.
    I can't imagine other counties would be desperate to snap him up, based on his performances for Kent?

I can't imagine other counties would be desperate to snap him up, based on his performances for Kent?
    Certainly not in the four day game - and Kent telling him that he would only be considered for the one day stuff I think is the reason he's leaving.

Certainly not in the four day game - and Kent telling him that he would only be considered for the one day stuff I think is the reason he's leaving.
    It does seem that he's moving on completely

@JuliusCowdrey

So proud of my twin @fkcowdrey who is moving on from professional cricket. Onwards and upwards. Love you bro!

It does seem that he's moving on completely

@JuliusCowdrey

So proud of my twin @fkcowdrey who is moving on from professional cricket. Onwards and upwards. Love you bro!

Yes - working in music with his brother. At the lower end the money playing pro cricket isn't much of an attraction.
  • Gets paid to play for Lordswood.