Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Gloucs sound like a quality team !
  • 6 wickets for God (Stevens) so far.

52-9
  • LenGlover said:

6 wickets for God (Stevens) so far.

52-9

His legs haven't gone yet then.
  • What a pathetic batting performance, being skittled out like that by Stevens on a hot sunny day (so you can't even blame cloud cover)

While the Kent fans down there would love the win, I imagine they'd have hoped for a longer day's play...
  • edited April 2017

What a pathetic batting performance, being skittled out like that by Stevens on a hot sunny day (so you can't even blame cloud cover)

While the Kent fans down there would love the win, I imagine they'd have hoped for a longer day's play...

Yes and no. Effectively, we go over four hours play so probably settled for that rather than a tedious attempt by Gloucester to play out almost five sessions.

Harris, Stevens and Rouse quickly went but Gidman and Treders batted very sensibly especially the latter who was left stranded just short of rare 50. The last stand between him and Mitch was one of the highlights of the day with both smoking boundaries for fun before it took a magnificent catch to dismiss Mitch.

Then came what I can only describe as one of the most inept batting displays I have ever witnessed. Harris and Steveo did bowl well but at least two of their batsmen left balls that only uprooted their middle stumps and others played at balls they should have left well alone. If it wasn't for Norwell scoring all 24 runs of their last wicket stand it might have been even more embarrassing for them. If that's possible.

Considering that Billings is missing and DBD, SNE and Coles have yet to come to the party this was an extremely impressive performance. Rouse with the gloves is a more than able deputy for Sam, Harris would be a magnificent acquisition if we could manage getting him for the season and Gidman brings us that element of resilience in the middle order that we have, at times, been missing in the past.

If there is a negative, I would like to see a fitter Coles. His issues have been well documented but all of that is forgotten about all the time he is performing so he needs to prove that as early in the season as possible. Steveo is such a clever bowler but it is the fact that, at 41 this month, he is still scoring 50s and taking wickets for fun that Coles should, perhaps, seek to emulate.

My other fear is that, should we go up, we don't seem to have the young bowers knocking on the door - Steveo, as I say will be 42 next season, Claydon and Treders will be 36 and Gidman will be 33. Riley, hopefully, will find his form but who do we have on the fast bowling front? Haggett, Thomas, Hunn, Ball etc etc just don't seem to have "trained on". I hope, for them, they do so before it is too late.
  • Stevens setting himself up for T20 bash.
  • edited April 2017
    A mate of mine who is on the playing staff at Kent told me today Parnell is signing tomorrow then Milne from New Zealand is the other overseas we are after, once Parnell is gone.

Very impressive bowling unit we now have, something we've been missing for a while
  • Sponsored links:

• Parnells 2nd stint at Kent is that?

Hoping they got superstar batsman for the t20s though.
  • What a pathetic batting performance, being skittled out like that by Stevens on a hot sunny day (so you can't even blame cloud cover)

Yes and no. Effectively, we go over four hours play so probably settled for that rather than a tedious attempt by Gloucester to play out almost five sessions.

Harris, Stevens and Rouse quickly went but Gidman and Treders batted very sensibly especially the latter who was left stranded just short of rare 50. The last stand between him and Mitch was one of the highlights of the day with both smoking boundaries for fun before it took a magnificent catch to dismiss Mitch.

Then came what I can only describe as one of the most inept batting displays I have ever witnessed. Harris and Steveo did bowl well but at least two of their batsmen left balls that only uprooted their middle stumps and others played at balls they should have left well alone. If it wasn't for Norwell scoring all 24 runs of their last wicket stand it might have been even more embarrassing for them. If that's possible.

Considering that Billings is missing and DBD, SNE and Coles have yet to come to the party this was an extremely impressive performance. Rouse with the gloves is a more than able deputy for Sam, Harris would be a magnificent acquisition if we could manage getting him for the season and Gidman brings us that element of resilience in the middle order that we have, at times, been missing in the past.

If there is a negative, I would like to see a fitter Coles. His issues have been well documented but all of that is forgotten about all the time he is performing so he needs to prove that as early in the season as possible. Steveo is such a clever bowler but it is the fact that, at 41 this month, he is still scoring 50s and taking wickets for fun that Coles should, perhaps, seek to emulate.

My other fear is that, should we go up, we don't seem to have the young bowers knocking on the door - Steveo, as I say will be 42 next season, Claydon and Treders will be 36 and Gidman will be 33. Riley, hopefully, will find his form but who do we have on the fast bowling front? Haggett, Thomas, Hunn, Ball etc etc just don't seem to have "trained on". I hope, for them, they do so before it is too late.
    To continue with the Charlton/Kent analogy, Coles (and to an extent Claydon) remind me slightly of certain Charlton strikers who perhaps aren't as fit as they should be...

Kent have never produced many decent pace bowlers, in comparison to batsmen and keepers, that's where I would target the "player acquisition" budget
  • Not been in touch with this all day so really pleased to learn of our win.

Well done, Kent & eat your heart out Surrey !

:wink:

Stevens figures weren't quite as good as our Footitt's. :p

How old is Footitt ?

How old is Footitt ?
    That simply tells me we have the right player and you have the wrong one! :p

A mate of mine who is on the playing staff at Kent told me today Parnell is signing tomorrow then Milne from New Zealand is the other overseas we are after, once Parnell is gone.

Very impressive bowling unit we now have, something we've been missing for a while

Parnell's arrival confirmed:

kentcricket.co.uk/news/paceman-wayne-parnell-returns-to-kent

Parnell's arrival confirmed:

kentcricket.co.uk/news/paceman-wayne-parnell-returns-to-kent
    Good news, the presence of Gillespie as a temporary coach (with Donald to follow) can't have been a hindrance!
  • The question is "who will they leave out on Friday?". Has to be Claydon or Coles. Claydon took 5 wickets in the match whereas Coles didn't take any but he looks like he is carrying even more timber. Coles is a potential match winner though.

We have so many seam bowling options that Haggett opened the batting today in a combined 2nd X1 team (with Essex) against Durham - Bernard, Ball and Hunn were also included and Charlie Hartley (along with spinner Imran Qayyum) are taking part in the 3 day game starting tomorrow. Only Ivan Thomas is not making an appearance. It still concerns me that not enough of them are knocking that door down.

Why else would we sign not one fast bowler but two?
  • The question is "who will they leave out on Friday?". Has to be Claydon or Coles. Claydon took 5 wickets in the match whereas Coles didn't take any but he looks like he is carrying even more timber. Coles is a potential match winner though.

We have so many seam bowling options that Haggett opened the batting today in a combined 2nd X1 team (with Essex) against Durham - Bernard, Ball and Hunn were also included and Charlie Hartley (along with spinner Imran Qayyum) are taking part in the 3 day game starting tomorrow. Only Ivan Thomas is not making an appearance. It still concerns me that not enough of them are knocking that door down.

@Riviera wouldn't agree, from previous conversations, but Coles' ability with the bat would swing it for me all other things being equal. Kent do have a brittle quality to the batting historically. OK he missed out this time against Gloucestershire but last season was our main bowler.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

The question is "who will they leave out on Friday?". Has to be Claydon or Coles. Claydon took 5 wickets in the match whereas Coles didn't take any but he looks like he is carrying even more timber. Coles is a potential match winner though.

@Riviera wouldn't agree, from previous conversations, but Coles' ability with the bat would swing it for me all other things being equal. Kent do have a brittle quality to the batting historically. OK he missed out this time against Gloucestershire but last season was our main bowler.
    Parnell, as a direct replacement for Coles, has a better batting record in all forms of the game. In fact, Coles has scored just 85 runs in his last 10 innings. Tredwell, by comparison, scored 73 in this match alone and was undefeated in the 2nd innings.
  • LenGlover said:

The question is "who will they leave out on Friday?". Has to be Claydon or Coles. Claydon took 5 wickets in the match whereas Coles didn't take any but he looks like he is carrying even more timber. Coles is a potential match winner though.

Parnell, as a direct replacement for Coles, has a better batting record in all forms of the game. In fact, Coles has scored just 85 runs in his last 10 innings. Tredwell, by comparison, scored 73 in this match alone and was undefeated in the 2nd innings.
    Agreed re Parnell.

I was responding to your Claydon v Coles point. In other words I'd leave out Claydon.
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Agreed re Parnell.

I was responding to your Claydon v Coles point. In other words I'd leave out Claydon.
    Ordinarily I would agree with you Len - I just think that, perhaps, Coles needs to be taken out of his comfort zone for a game or so.
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Agreed re Parnell.

Ordinarily I would agree with you Len - I just think that, perhaps, Coles needs to be taken out of his comfort zone for a game or so.
    Well you went yesterday so saw them in the (seemingly substantial) flesh which I didn't so I'll bow to your informed view.
  • As a Sussex supporter, I fear a hefty defeat to Kent over Easter. Sussex are heading where Kent have just come from. I predict an innings win to put Kent clear at the top.
  • The weather looks fine but not that warm. Still may be worth a visit over the weekend.
  • edited April 2017
    Kent leave out Weatherley and bring back Dickson but, more surprising perhaps, is that Harris (26.3-6-68-6 and scored 46 in our win) is the one to miss out for Parnell.

We won the toss, elected to bat and are currently 9-0.

Edit - Harris has a minor chest injury.
  • Glad that we are not relying on the loan players too heavily though, especially Harris, only here for a short while.
  • CHG said:

Glad that we are not relying on the loan players too heavily though, especially Harris, only here for a short while.

Parnell is only here 'til the South Africans need him. Harris's loan is initially for the first three Championship games but might be extended. Wetherley is here all season.
  • 27-1

DBD bowled Archer 13