Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Options
    iamdan said:

Gets paid to play for Lordswood.

Or the Vine if he decides to move back again. There again, he might not play at all if his new career takes off.
  • Options

For those of us wondering why Fabian Cowdrey wasn't on the recent tour, here is the answer:

The most famous family association in cricket is in danger of being severed after 67 years, with Fabian Cowdrey in dispute with Kent over his future.

Fabian, the latest member of the Cowdrey clan to play for Kent, did not go on the recent tour to the West Indies and has yet to start pre-season training.

He is understood to want the final year of his contract paid out as Kent have given him no assurances of regular cricket after he was limited to mainly T20 appearances last summer.

Fabian, who joined the Kent staff in 2011 rather than go to university, is understood to be working with his songwriter brother Julius, who appears in reality show Made in Chelsea, while he sorts out his cricket options.

His grandfather Colin, one of English cricket's greatest names, first played for Kent in 1950 and the Cowdrey name was on the county team sheet for the next 47 years as Fabian's father Chris, briefly England captain, and Uncle Graham followed on.

In comparison, Fabian has failed to make much of a county impact, although he did break his grandfather's record for the number of runs scored for Tonbridge School.

No surprise but Cowdrey has now left Kent "by mutual consent". The name clearly does not carry the weight it once did.
    I can't imagine other counties would be desperate to snap him up, based on his performances for Kent?
    Certainly not in the four day game - and Kent telling him that he would only be considered for the one day stuff I think is the reason he's leaving.
    It does seem that he's moving on completely

@JuliusCowdrey

So proud of my twin @fkcowdrey who is moving on from professional cricket. Onwards and upwards. Love you bro!

Yes - working in music with his brother. At the lower end the money playing pro cricket isn't much of an attraction.
    I doubt the Cowdrey brothers are short of cash!

I see his brother, the musician, is now a "star" of Made in Chelsea...
  • Options

For those of us wondering why Fabian Cowdrey wasn't on the recent tour, here is the answer:

The most famous family association in cricket is in danger of being severed after 67 years, with Fabian Cowdrey in dispute with Kent over his future.

Fabian, the latest member of the Cowdrey clan to play for Kent, did not go on the recent tour to the West Indies and has yet to start pre-season training.

He is understood to want the final year of his contract paid out as Kent have given him no assurances of regular cricket after he was limited to mainly T20 appearances last summer.

Fabian, who joined the Kent staff in 2011 rather than go to university, is understood to be working with his songwriter brother Julius, who appears in reality show Made in Chelsea, while he sorts out his cricket options.

His grandfather Colin, one of English cricket's greatest names, first played for Kent in 1950 and the Cowdrey name was on the county team sheet for the next 47 years as Fabian's father Chris, briefly England captain, and Uncle Graham followed on.

In comparison, Fabian has failed to make much of a county impact, although he did break his grandfather's record for the number of runs scored for Tonbridge School.

No surprise but Cowdrey has now left Kent "by mutual consent". The name clearly does not carry the weight it once did.
    I can't imagine other counties would be desperate to snap him up, based on his performances for Kent?
    Certainly not in the four day game - and Kent telling him that he would only be considered for the one day stuff I think is the reason he's leaving.
    It does seem that he's moving on completely

@JuliusCowdrey

So proud of my twin @fkcowdrey who is moving on from professional cricket. Onwards and upwards. Love you bro!

Yes - working in music with his brother. At the lower end the money playing pro cricket isn't much of an attraction.
    I doubt the Cowdrey brothers are short of cash!

I see his brother, the musician, is now a "star" of Made in Chelsea...

The only thing they're short of is talent!!
  • Options
    CHG said:

Overseas could be key to our season.

You decided to play your home games in Calais?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I see we are 3rd favourites at 5/1

Notts are faves with Sussex 2nd.

As a Sussex supporter, I don't think Sussex should be 2nd favourites. The bowling looks quite good but whether promising youngsters can take 30/40 wickets is not a certainty. As for the batting, it's nowhere near good enough especially with Mr Reliable, Ed Joyce, leaving.
  • Options
    Wondered why James Harris was at Canterbury yesterday. Here's the answer:

Middlesex paceman James Harris has signed for Kent on loan.

The 26-year-old Welshman came through the ranks at Glamorgan before joining the reigning county champions in 2013.

The six-foot fast bowler has played for England Under-19s and England Lions and taken 367 first class wickets and 12 five-wicket hauls.

He took 69 County Championship wickets in 2015 including 9 for 34 against Durham at Lord's in May before claiming 16 wickets in seven red-ball appearances as Middlesex lifted the Division One title last season.

James Harris said: “I am pleased to be starting the season with Kent and am grateful to the two counties for making it happen.

"I look forward to helping get the Kent season off to a positive start in the coming weeks."

He was the first 17-year-old to take a seven-wicket haul and earned a full call-up to the England T20 squad in 2012 although he was not selected.

A handy lower-order batsman, Harris has scored 12 half-centuries with a best of 87 not out.

Head coach Matt Walker said: “James has been one of the leading seam bowlers in county cricket in recent years.

“To have him on board with us for the start of the season is very exciting and he brings extra quality to our talented squad.”

He set a record for Glamorgan when playing for their 2nd X1 at the age of 14!
  • Options
    Very good acquisition that.
  • Options
    I like that.

It is bowlers who win matches.
  • Options
    Kents season starts today. I'm guessing you all know that, but thought I would just bump it up.
  • Options
    Stewart said:

Kents season starts today. I'm guessing you all know that, but thought I would just bump it up.

Hoping to be there on Sunday - providing, of course, we haven't wrapped up the game by then ;-)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Following on from Durham's 48 point deduction, Leicestershire have been docked 16 points for five on field offences in a year, culminating with Charlie Shreck's "obscene, offensive or insulting" language at Loughborough batsman, Hasan Azad.

With all these deductions flying about we should walk this League - as long as we can reign Matt Coles in that is or we might end up joining them.
  • Options
    Possible signings: Kent have been linked with New Zealand pace bowler Adam Milne as a Twenty20 overseas signing, after a move for fellow seamer Duanne Olivier was reportedly blocked by Cricket South Africa.

Old news?
  • Options

Following on from Durham's 48 point deduction, Leicestershire have been docked 16 points for five on field offences in a year, culminating with Charlie Shreck's "obscene, offensive or insulting" language at Loughborough batsman, Hasan Azad.

With all these deductions flying about we should walk this League - as long as we can reign Matt Coles in that is or we might end up joining them.

I was with someone last night who may or may not have played against Shrek last year and he was pissing himself when it came up on BBC Sport that Shrek got done for giving it to students. Said he was a right nasty 'insert bad swear word here' and deserves everything he gets.
  • Options
    Kent v Gloucestershire - No toss, Gloucestershire choose to bowl
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Bit alarmed when I saw this on Cricinfo

Kent team
    ME Claydon, MT Coles, WRS Gidman, AP Rouse†, DI Stevens, JC Tredwell

Gloucestershire team
    CT Bancroft, CDJ Dent, GT Hankins, CJ Liddle, CN Miles, P Mustard*†, LC Norwell, DA Payne, WA Tavare, JMR Taylor, GL van Buuren

MATCH DETAILS

Players per side Gloucestershire 11 ; Kent 6

I know we're strapped for cash but to only be able to afford half a side gives us no chance.
  • Options
    BBC site is the same. Gloucestershire have bowled two overs and the phantom Kent batsmen have managed 9 runs! Weird.
  • Options
    Its 6 v 11 and Kent are still favourites to win.

Gloucestershire must be a really weak team.
  • Options
    Blake's been left out despite his 88 against Surrey. Harris and Weatherley makes their debuts with Dickson out injured.
  • Options
    25-1 DBD out for 11

Meanwhile Glamorgan 9-3 against Northants.
  • Options
    Hi all. Just checking in to let you all know I'm still here! :)

And than I plan on loling every post that mentions a Kent wicket falling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I had to admit it but I have backed a Surrey/Kent Championship double. Bound to be Surrey that lets me down.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I had to admit it but I have backed a Surrey/Kent Championship double. Bound to be Surrey that lets me down.
    Hate to go all Liverpool on you but this really is our year.

We have an incredible side on paper.

Look at the players who aren't playing and it shows our strength.

Ansari, Meaker, Dunn, Rampaul would get in pretty much every county side out there. Not getting in ours.
  • Options
    52-1 Weatherly 30* & Denly 10*

Doesn't get any better for Glamorgan though who are currently 26-6
  • Options
    80-2 at lunch

Weatherley out for 36 (80)

Denly 32* (70)
    Northeast 0* (4)
  • Options
    Funnily enough Glamorgan are on exactly the same score. Well, 80 anyway, for 8 wickets though
  • Options
    Surrey struggling on the "road" @ 133-0 off 31 overs
  • Options

Surrey struggling on the "road" @ 133-0 off 31 overs

I'll point out we were put in by Ian Bell. Ludicrous decision.
  • Options
    Essex lot giving it on their thread.
  • Options
    298 sounds a disappointing score but we grapped a wicket at the end. See Stevens hit 50 and picked up the wicket. The President will be pleased.