Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection *GAME CALLED OFF*

Comments

• Options
    You would have missed out on the café, and a few beers in the lib,
    what more do you want from a Saturday morning (-;
  • Options

The groundsmen probably did everything they could given the resources at their disposal - but the club failed by fitting under soil pipes but not the boiler.
    If I recall correctly the intention was to put pipes in so that when we made it back to the Premiership, where under soil heating is mandatory, we would just have needed to add a boiler.
    What Les Branleurs Belgique fail to understand is that aspirations to be in the Premiership are required *before* you get there. Clubs that punch above their weight get promoted, those that work hard stay in that division, and the mediocre ones who just get by are the ones who get relegated.
    The lack of a boiler is a symptom of Belgian mediocrity at its worst.

Love it.
  • Options

Down to 14th and 8 points off the play offs as it stands.

Don't give up just yet.
  • Options
    Farce. Our game cancelled. Palace game goes ahead.
  • Options
    Only 9 points off the play offs now
  • Options

we are a lower league team based in the south east of England, just like Orient, Southend, and Crawley.

“Of course I can understand their frustration and they have every right to be [frustrated],” she said. “But I hope they understand the owner wants the best for Charlton. He does it his way and they need to accept that."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Had a good drink in the Lib yesterday got in there at 1 left at 1,
  • Options
    Serious question - am I right in thinking that we've got all the pipes (or whatever they use) under the pitch ready to use and the only thing that's missing is the boiler?
  • Options

Serious question - am I right in thinking that we've got all the pipes (or whatever they use) under the pitch ready to use and the only thing that's missing is the boiler?

That seems to be the case yes.
  • Options
    Thanks @seth plum. I had to ask because I couldn't actually believe that - I assumed I'd misunderstood. Dear god.
  • Options

Seriously, 12 pages of conspiracy theory over a called of fixture when others were also called off today? This site is getting more and more paranoid by the minute.

Orient's, Southend's, and Crawley's games were called off. The pattern there? Lower league games in the south east of England.

Palace game went ahead but they are in the Premier League and are therefore required, and can afford, to have under soil heating.

News flash... we are a lower league team based in the south east of England, just like Orient, Southend, and Crawley.

Our game being called off must be part of some ingenious conspiracy by the Belgian super villain currently plotting our demise though.

So can we because Daisy said that we had no money worries..!!

To install the boiler when the pitch was being laid would have cost approx. £90k. Now how much would the club have lost yesterday?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    cafc999 said:

Seriously, 12 pages of conspiracy theory over a called of fixture when others were also called off today? This site is getting more and more paranoid by the minute.

Orient's, Southend's, and Crawley's games were called off. The pattern there? Lower league games in the south east of England.

Palace game went ahead but they are in the Premier League and are therefore required, and can afford, to have under soil heating.

News flash... we are a lower league team based in the south east of England, just like Orient, Southend, and Crawley.

Our game being called off must be part of some ingenious conspiracy by the Belgian super villain currently plotting our demise though.

To install the boiler when the pitch was being laid would have cost approx. £90k. Now how much would the club have lost yesterday?
    They don't even need to install the boiler, AFAIK. They can presumably hire one.

http://m.andrews-sykes.com/boilers/mobile-boilers/500kw-mobile-boiler/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I went to the Ebbsfleet game yesterday, and apart from the pitch being a bit slippery in places,otherwise it was perfectly fine.
    I genuinely don't understand how their surface could be playable, but the pitch at The Valley could not be made ready, given weather which has been fairly consistent in the last week or so. The situation was entirely predictable, wasn't it? I can appreciate that parts of the Valley pitch might be in shadow much more than the ground at Ebbsfleet, but is Charlton Athletic really at the stage where the ground maintenance is not as professional as a non league team less than 15 miles away?
    Just asking, because, forgive the pun, on the surface, it looks that way.
  • Options
    The amount of Boiler adverts on here is ridiculous.
    If only meire read Charlton life she would now where to buy one
  • Options

cafc999 said:

They don't even need to install the boiler, AFAIK. They can presumably hire one.

If only the Cloob had any contacts at Andrews Sykes...still I'm sure we tried!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

cafc999 said:

If only the Cloob had any contacts at Andrews Sykes...still I'm sure we tried!
    Not according to the Chairman of Scunny, Peter Swann

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/if-charlton-wanted-the-game-they-could-have-got-it-on-says-scunthorpe-chairman-peter-swann/story-30076370-detail/story.html
  • Options
    Does anyone know the approx cost of heating the pitch sufficiently for 4-5 days?
  • Options
    3blokes said:

I went to the Ebbsfleet game yesterday, and apart from the pitch being a bit slippery in places,otherwise it was perfectly fine.
    I genuinely don't understand how their surface could be playable, but the pitch at The Valley could not be made ready, given weather which has been fairly consistent in the last week or so. The situation was entirely predictable, wasn't it? I can appreciate that parts of the Valley pitch might be in shadow much more than the ground at Ebbsfleet, but is Charlton Athletic really at the stage where the ground maintenance is not as professional as a non league team less than 15 miles away?
    Just asking, because, forgive the pun, on the surface, it looks that way.

I think you've gotta take the groundman's word for it. You can't play matches on frozen pitches and most of the pitch would have been frozen (if not the area that may have been in sunshine).
    The issue is whether they could have, or should have used a boiler (either bought, or rented) to fill the infamous pipes with hot water.
    You'd think it would be a no brainer if you take into account the cost of cancelling and then rescheduling the fixture. It seems like the hire of a boiler would be just a few thousand pounds, although I suspect it would need to be left on for some time, not just the night before the match.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I went to Enfield v Grays yesterday, wtf can they stage a game and we cannot?

Combined Counties games, one in Hatton Cross was played.

• Options
    cafc999 said:

My guess is 20k for every thousand down on the gate. Will potentially arrive at a 40k loss.

For the people sticking up for the Belgians, I do not think you'd be so understanding if you were travelling 180 miles and experiencing this.